Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:10 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:54 AM, Criminal-23 wrote:
At 8/2/12 03:11 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/2/12 03:02 AM, Criminal-23 wrote: Wow. Just wow. 17 Gold medals for China already.

On CCTV, I've heard that the Chinese value Gold only; Silver and Bronze don't matter. Therefore, they view themselves as Champions of the Olympics since they're 1st on the rankings.
Not only do they have the most gold medals, they also have the most medals in total.
I'm sure CCTV will show a few hours of proud China Power after the Olympic Games. -_-

In fact, during one event 'the 10-meter shoot', the Chinese commentators were shouting 'piao liang' a few times over, which means beautiful, when the Chinese woman surpassed the French woman in the last shot and got Gold.

How's that different from other countries?

no wonder they called themselves China.
You know, I'm pretty sure they called themselves "Zhonghua".
No, it's Zhong Guo. The first word means 'middle', the second means 'kingdom', thus they are the 'middle kingdom', or the 'center of Earth'.

Both is possible. Zhongguo and Zhonghua.

But again: How's that different from, let's say Europe? Didn't they think they where the center of the universe not so long ago as well? And that all other people they met outside of Europe where savages?

why am I so detailed, you ask? It's because I've lived in China for 4 years.

I've lived in Europe for 30 years and it's really not that different. :P

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:08 AM Reply

Updated Medal count

China 30
US 29
japan 17
France 13
Germany 13
South Korea 12
Russia 11
Italy 10
Australia 9
Great Britain 9

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:59 AM Reply

At 8/2/12 10:16 AM, Ejit wrote:
At 8/2/12 03:02 AM, Criminal-23 wrote: Wow. Just wow. 17 Gold medals for China already.

On CCTV, I've heard that the Chinese value Gold only; Silver and Bronze don't matter. Therefore, they view themselves as Champions of the Olympics since they're 1st on the rankings.

no wonder they called themselves China.
Yes that is how the Olympics medal table is judged outside the US, with silver and bronze only considered if two or more nations have the same number of golds. Your networks are the ones that fuck around with it.

In the words of Bradley Wiggins when a interviewer told him after winning yesterdays Time Trail that he had become Britain's most successful Olympic medalist with 4 golds, 1 silver and 2 bronzes (overtaking Steve Redgrave who has 5 golds and 1 bronze);

"Well, gold is the only thing that matters in the Olympics really."

Which is true if we're all honest. Bronze and silvers are generally only welcome when it wasn't expected. To get silver or bronze when you're aiming for gold, when you're good enough for gold isn't good enough really. Everyone wants gold which is why most medal trackers count most golds over most medals.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
CharltonChinchilla
CharltonChinchilla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:08 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 07:08 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Updated Medal count

China 30
US 29
japan 17
France 13
Germany 13
South Korea 12
Russia 11
Italy 10
Australia 9
Great Britain 9

http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/ but back in the real world the table looks like this, sorry chump. The tonydarkgrave medal count actually counts for shit the last I checked.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 12:08 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote:
http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/ but back in the real world the table looks like this, sorry chump. The tonydarkgrave medal count actually counts for shit the last I checked.

Yeah he only updates it when USA are in touching distance of China anyway.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:22 PM Reply

Updated medal count:

China 32
USA 31
Japan 17
France 15
Germany 15
Britain 14
South Korea 13

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:24 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 12:08 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote: http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/ but back in the real world the table looks like this, sorry chump. The tonydarkgrave medal count actually counts for shit the last I checked.

im using Google Medal count actually. and only when they update it to keep the nice people here informed.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 12:24 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 8/2/12 12:08 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote: http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/ but back in the real world the table looks like this, sorry chump. The tonydarkgrave medal count actually counts for shit the last I checked.
im using Google Medal count actually. and only when they update it to keep the nice people here informed.

Then you would notice that Japan currently have 3 more medals than Great Britain, but they're much further down in the table, as they don't have as many golds.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

Why no one care about the cyclist who got killed by an Olympic Bus? Sure he wasn't an Olympian, but still, it's pretty sad.

At any rate, Bravo to Great Britain for getting BOTH Gold and Silver in the C-2 event. You even made a French guy cry.

>:3 good job. hehehe

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 01:45 PM Reply

Hmmm....

Cycling - Track: Germany loses against GB. But GB gets relegated, so Germany advances to the finals.
In the finals: Germany loses against China. But Chine gets relegated as well! So it's Gold: Germany, Silver: China.

WTF? How lucky can you get?

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:14 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 01:45 PM, Haggard wrote: Hmmm....

Cycling - Track: Germany loses against GB. But GB gets relegated, so Germany advances to the finals.
In the finals: Germany loses against China. But Chine gets relegated as well! So it's Gold: Germany, Silver: China.

WTF? How lucky can you get?

Oh yeah I was well gutted for the British ladies. It was one of the females last Olympics and what a sad way to finish it when they were heading for at least a silver. I feel guilty in taking a little bit of enjoyment from China also getting relegated for the same thing in the final, but seeing the ladies reactions was just sad. Good for Germany though.

And I can't be too upset. Been a nice gold rush for the Brits today.

BBS Signature
yugimt
yugimt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Voice Actor
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 02:25 AM, ZJ wrote: Lol. LeBron got owned.

Lolcurfew.

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:27 PM Reply

Yeah, Phelps just won again.
Can we just ban him from the Olympics already? It's not fun if he wins something everytime.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:38 PM Reply

medals got updated again

WITH A TIE IN GOLDS!

USA 37 18 gold
china 33 18 gold
Japan 19
germany 17
france 16
russia 16
Britan 15
south korea 14
australia 11
canada 7

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 03:27 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: Yeah, Phelps just won again.
Can we just ban him from the Olympics already? It's not fun if he wins something everytime.

Not Phelps fault that there are just too many swimming events in the Olympics calender. I was officially bored yesterday, besides British interest in races or group races which are always entertaining.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 03:43 PM, Gagsy wrote:

Not Phelps fault that there are just too many swimming events in the Olympics calender. I was officially bored yesterday, besides British interest in races or group races which are always entertaining.

Also with the Chinese emerging as gold medal threats on swimming events, Phelps is needed to help even up the grounds...or water.

Granted Phelps probably didn't use the kind of training he had before the 2008 games but still, he's still Michael Phelps.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:09 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 03:55 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
Also with the Chinese emerging as gold medal threats on swimming events, Phelps is needed to help even up the grounds...or water.

Granted Phelps probably didn't use the kind of training he had before the 2008 games but still, he's still Michael Phelps.

I don't think the US is in any danger even when Phelps quits after this Olympics. Isn't this plus 10 golds in swimming so far? And thats without the silver and bronzes too. They'll continue to dominate swimming for years to come I think, besides the odd freakishly good swimmer who'll crop off from other nations (Ye Shiwen) even now and then.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:12 PM Reply

If we are going to measure Olympic performance by medals we might as well do it by points. Golds are 5pts, silver is 3pts, and bronze is worth 1pt.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:17 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:12 PM, Cootie wrote: If we are going to measure Olympic performance by medals we might as well do it by points. Golds are 5pts, silver is 3pts, and bronze is worth 1pt.

US 18 9 10--127 pts
China 18 11 5-128 pts

...fuck

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:12 PM, Cootie wrote: If we are going to measure Olympic performance by medals we might as well do it by points.

Oh, hello Mr. IOC chairman. Why would we do that?

Golds are 5pts, silver is 3pts, and bronze is worth 1pt.

Then China would still be at the top of the board.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

Can the BBC give Clare Balding and Ian Thrope each a gold medal for great presenting/commentating. They really work well together in that Aquatics Centre.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:34 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:27 PM, Gagsy wrote: Can the BBC give Clare Balding and Ian Thrope each a gold medal for great presenting/commentating. They really work well together in that Aquatics Centre.

Thorpe should be deducted points for the number of times he says "Look[, ...]". Count 'em next time he's on.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:34 PM, liljim wrote:
Thorpe should be deducted points for the number of times he says "Look[, ...]". Count 'em next time he's on.

You may accuse me of being taken in with his sensually accent and rugged good looks.

Though when he does start with a 'Look..' you can be sure that hes going to give some thoughtful insight or interesting fact on whatever swimming topic is currently happening.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:38 PM, Gagsy wrote: Though when he does start with a 'Look..' you can be sure that hes going to give some thoughtful insight or interesting fact on whatever swimming topic is currently happening.

He should treat himself to a new word now and then and I wouldn't have any criticism over his commentary. At the moment he reminds me of this (contains strong language), except nowhere near as entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRhgNp-fNc

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 05:43 PM, liljim wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRhgNp-fNc

Look liljim, lets not get fucking over the top here alright.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 06:15 PM, Ejit wrote:
Balding is awful. The other day when she was supposed to be commenting on the swimming events but was constantly whinging about how she'd rather be watching horses prance around with posh cunts clinging to them was infuriating.

She wasn't whinging. I was watching the same thing the other day. It was after the equestrian lot for silver and if you know anything about Clare Balding you know first that her lifes passion is horses, she grew up with them (her father was a trainer I believe) spent her career with them, rides a lot, does the bbc presenting for Ascot and such, she loves horses. So for the GB team to win silver there was to her just simply amazing. Just because shes doing the swimming presenting doesn't mean she stops being who she is and who the bbc knows she is. She spent a few minutes looking teary eyed and wishing she was there to see it and speak with the team then got on with the swimming.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:50 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 06:37 PM, Ejit wrote: For example weightlifting has barely featured even on the interactive menu so I've had to use their online page

What sort of TV set up do you have? Are you using a TV with built-in Freeview, or are you using a freeview box, satellite or cable? I'll explain why I'm asking after you've answered. And no, I'm not here for a dig at you, but I think I have the answers you're looking for.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 8/2/12 07:03 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 8/2/12 06:50 PM, liljim wrote:
What sort of TV set up do you have? Are you using a TV with built-in Freeview, or are you using a freeview box, satellite or cable? I'll explain why I'm asking after you've answered. And no, I'm not here for a dig at you, but I think I have the answers you're looking for.
TV with built in freeview. Have recently rescanned. If you have a solution I apologise unreservedly to the BBC thanks BBC.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you, but I can at least try and explain why you have such crappy coverage.

I noticed a friend of mine complaining about the same thing on Facebook yesterday, saying she'd resorted to streaming what she wanted over her phone. I asked her why she didn't just push the red button and explained that I had a menu full of stuff. She used to direct some of the sports coverage on the BBC years ago, so I was wondering what the hell she was talking about.

She explained that I have Sky and that digital TV is similar to internet connections - Sky (which I have) and Cable are capable of delivering greater bandwidth than setups like yours. The BBC's full services will be available to anyone who has the right equipment regardless of their network provider and in my case, I get it all in HD.

Here's a photo of one of the menus I have - obviously there's not much on at this time of night, but each of the events you see on there are available whenever they're live.

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:40 PM Reply

Anyone else see this neat app on the BBC's website that compares your body type (Height and weight) to Olympic athletes and tells you which one you're most like?

Apparently I'm comparable to Gemma Gibbons, the British Judo fighter who just won a silver medal. I don't know if that's insulting or not.

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature