00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Robert0241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,466 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:13:19

hmmmmmm it's cool, less lag, and sleek, but I hope it's beta because some people miss the nostalgic, yet boring, old layout. It could get hard to get used to for me. Great innovation style though.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:13:41

now we just need a simple pause button.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:15:12

gonna be honest, i don't like at all.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:15:51

At 5/26/09 09:54 PM, NordLeafbork wrote: brb, flooding with malicious flash
but yeaaahhh you admin types really should've thought this one through a bit more!

I concur with this (the latter statement). I haven't seen computer-crashing shit in a long time, but the potential for abuse with an auto-loading .swf is pretty high, and whistling it might be difficult if there's no way to stop the damn thing from running.

Other than that risk, I guess I can get used to it. I'm too psyched about the upcoming lit portal to lose any sleep over the vote buttons looking lonely.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:19:42

Pretty cool i tried it out and i don't seem to have any problems as a matter of fact i liked it. Keep up the good work.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:19:54

I like the new layout, but unlike many, I preferred having to press play, so that I could have the flash run when I wanted it, not as soon as the page loaded.

That and I can already see NG going the way of Flash/Ugo Player, with stupid amounts of ads now being able to be added on, and thus lagging the game down. It's the only reason I play here instead, other then being able to NOT have the flash start up before I wanted it too.

And to those who say "Just don't click the page to it" well, what's the point in the flash's page if we can't look at it with out the flash suddenly loading?

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:26:14

I just don't like the whole auto-load thing. Hell, I always end up using the pop-up option so it's like the original layout, so this really doesn't do much for me other than give me a bigger screen that I probably won't even use.

I like the idea of related submission suggestions, but that's the only thing I feel like I would ever use. Honestly, I'd like to switch back to the old layout and keep the suggested movie feature. I also like the dimming option, but again, I really only use the pop-up option.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:26:51

????????????????????
Where is the ratings icon
????????????????????

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:30:17

Wish I could have the option to switch back to the old layout from before this update, and just make a popup wide-screen.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:30:58

Everyone thank PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!

Oh yeah! Thank you. I haven't found any bugs yet. Works pretty well.

Are we a couple more steps closer to being able to embed flash games on other websites and having them link back to NG?

At work...Newgrounds. At Home...Newgrounds. Dreaming...a white rabbit killing grey rabbits.

www.dabridges.com

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:32:23

Thank you PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!
This widescreen layout is AMAZING! it gets to the point! the file starts loading imediately! great!

loveyly!

At 5/26/09 08:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: Alrighty... The wide layout has launched!

The "Related Content" info needs to re-populate with proper results. Until then you will see a lot of content that doesn't feel very related... The end result should be much better.

If you want to test the "Max Size" button, which makes Flash fill the width of the layout, try it on these!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/15 1706
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/18 9081
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/43 9541
You can still open Flash in a pop-up as well, and the moon icon dims the lights, like the lightbox layout we had before this. Give it a minute to soak in and let us know if anything is totally broken.

Everyone thank PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:32:48

I'd also like to express my opinion that the author info should be where the "you might also enjoy" box is, and vice versa.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:35:50

whoooooooooooooaaaaaa.

Awesome.

hi

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:38:29

Noooo...I hate this layout...go back to the classic old one.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:40:40

Well, I found a fairly irregular layout...possibly a glitch?
Glitch Layout

I use Firefox, fully updated and all.

Wide Layout

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:41:40

nvm, it works again.....?!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:43:35

Did you guys practice with that layout like a week ago? I was browsing the portal and all of a sudden the flash were like that but couldn't be voted on. I was convinced it was a glitch on my end.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:44:14

Pop Up doesn't seem to work.

In fact...what if you could do a sort of "play list" using a pop-up feature on a menu of you're home page.

You can watch a complete flash series in complete order (watching the first one will allow the others to finish loading)

I usually just open a bunch of pop-ups and then shift them around in order.

But if they "automatically" would go the the next flash after you click the "X" button...imagine the convience.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:44:03

Perhaps if you wanted to make it easier to link to games for non internet users you could do something like formatting links like so:

newgrounds.com/portal/view/480006?autopl ay=true?wide=true

or allow people with accounts to specify no autoplay as default settings

just some suggestions

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:45:35

yea this is kool and all but they didnt have get rid of the the content detail of the movie/game(e.g Mild Violence, Excessive Violence etc)

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:47:44

At 5/26/09 10:39 PM, Gateau wrote:
Oh wow, so I guess you were complaining when the other redesigns were done as well right?

I have been on NG for a LONG TIME and I have seen many different designs but this is the first one that I have adamantly opposed. The new display is both awkward and broken.

It is obvious that NG is trying to drive traffic to the site which is fine, but it needs to do so in a much less obtrusive manner. If you want movies to autoplay ala youtube, there needs to be a way to pause or stop the movies. This is nonnegotiable.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:49:00

At 5/26/09 11:44 PM, JakBaronKing wrote: Pop Up doesn't seem to work.

You have to turn your pop-up blocker off every time you want to watch a movie in pop-up. It's just like Hulu.

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:51:14

Wow, impressive. I like the new layout.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:52:12

A little problem with Flashes that have the Stage scale mode set to none (stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;). When you expand the game/movie it will retain the original size, giving you a lot of blank space. Obviously this is specific to each Flash, but I thought I would point it out.

Wide Layout

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:52:36

Hope now people will start watching flash movies before they B/P!

---------------------->> I plays the piano, CHECK IT OUT!<<-----------------------------

Fan of Room Escaping Games? Join us!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:55:09

good on ya guys with this

hey tom i have a idea with the play image how about at the top of the image it has the rating of the game/movie?

Web Hosting: Free! Premium!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:55:25

Eh, it's alright I guess. I probably just don't like it because it's new.

I think the space for "related videos" should be replaced by the author information, that seems to be pushed far to down on the page.

Only other thing is that for movies without play button preloaders can start while you're reading the authors comments etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:56:37

At 5/26/09 11:47 PM, zimzap wrote:
At 5/26/09 10:39 PM, Gateau wrote:
Oh wow, so I guess you were complaining when the other redesigns were done as well right?
I have been on NG for a LONG TIME and I have seen many different designs but this is the first one that I have adamantly opposed. The new display is both awkward and broken.

Samesies. I hate scrolling.

I know we are in a new age in America and the obesity epidemic is a sensitive issue but seriously, the layout needs to lose some weight. The pop-up format worked best for us little people--I mean, those of us with smaller monitors.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 23:58:13

Yay for vectors, right?

It's great that we can enjoy Flash in Big, but this needs help in the Aesthetically Pleasing category, as for the overall page.

Also, I hate change and it's nobody's fault, OK.

x

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:00:26

The new layout is completely broken for me. None of the tables appear where they're supposed to, the "open in new window" button doesn't work at all, and I liked the fact that Flashes didn't automatically play. It helped to save some of my computer's processing power. Can we at least have an option to switch back?