Respond to this Topic
Sonucais
Sonucais
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 12:41 PM Reply

Today I like the new layout. I found out some good points and way to make my work nicer. Still think the autoplay is not a good idea at all though.

NordicFrost
NordicFrost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Soo ... the change in having the flash on the main page is a fairly new thing?

DOES NOT WANT.

I'm sure I'll get used to it but ... I've been using Newgrounds for years now, so I'm too comfortable with the old way of doing things ...

Du riechst so gut

Vert
Vert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Art Lover
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 12:52 PM Reply

I'll keep this short and sweet: I hated the new format! I like to be able to open the window to a flash without having to actually downloading the flash, as I might just want to read the reviews for a flash, for example, or vote again for a movie I like.

Anyway of making this optional, via the account options? Please?

Fun: THAT IS THE BENEFIT OF DIPLOMATIC IMUNITY!
To think about the world, click cat.

BBS Signature
razman343
razman343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 12:54 PM Reply

Amazing I only just noticed today NG is getting alot more like youtube Everyday (But with games!)

Dante And Nero Rule 2 of a kind I think

BBS Signature
sebaboss
sebaboss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 12:55 PM Reply

...there's gonna be a new redesign...

A new redesign? OMG!!! Caant wait :)

everything, by me ;)

teimutm
teimutm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:00 PM Reply

I'm curious how you justified always using bandwidth to view/play the flash. Shouldn't you hope they wouldn't and design around that? Even if statistically 1 of 10000 don't load the flash, you're still saving yourself just a bit. And a bit over thousands of page loads over thousands of days, well.... If users are anything like me, they would have a much higher chance of not loading the flash.

ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:05 PM Reply

I like the idea of having a wideout resolution for the Newgrounds flash videos mainly due to the fact i have a widescreen laptop so it helps out plus i also like how you can up the size of the resolution and you can dim the lights of everything else and make it look like theater style,i know it's just a working progress but it's a good start. =)

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
GreatMagicalHat
GreatMagicalHat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:08 PM Reply

I actually liked the old way of embedding the flash a lot, but I am not against a new layout. However, this layout does have its problems, a bit too many of them if you ask me.

First off, the current layout just does not work at 600x800 and looks really crammed in 1024x768. I don't see what can be done about this without completely redoing the design again and that's probably not considered. Maybe it's possible to steal a few pixels here and there and add to the sides, it would probably make it feel better at 1024x768. Being able to choose a different layout (not necessarily the old one) might resolve this problem all together, but I would not want such an option for my site, I guess, so I can't advise you to do that.

Then there's widescreen. It has been mentioned a hundred times in this thread, but I think it is important enough to mention again: Authors should have the option to disable widescreen for their flashes.

Next I want to talk about autoloading and a closely related concept: the close button.
I think that a lot of thought went into the decision to make flashes load automatically, as you don't strike me as the kind of people to make such a decision hastily. However, autoloading everywhere and all the time is not the right solution I think. This has been mentioned a lot of times, but what I consider the biggest problem with it, has only been said properly a very limited number of times. I can't "save" flashes for later now. Say I am looking for a tower defense game and see a number of promising flashes, now I can no longer open all of them in tabs and try them out one by one. The disappearance of the close button looks like it was just an oversight to me.
I'll come with a proposal for solving this in a moment, but first I will keep on "whining" for a little longer.

Someone put it quite nicely earlier in this thread (sorry, I don't feel like going through it all again to find out who it was): The author deserves more than just a footnote. I don't think putting the flash info below the flash was a correct choice. Putting the author comments and reviews all the way down is not something I would have done either, but the flash info is obviously in the wrong place, I think.

The back button does not function correctly. When dimming a flash, one needs to press back once extra in order to go back one page from where he or she started. I'll get technical on this one right away.
Seeing that the ads are in iframes, they disappear and the url of the main page does not change, I blame the changing of the ads. I haven't looked into it, but I suppose you are changing the src attribute of the iframe, which causes it to be a new entry in the history of your browser. Even if this is not the case, you are modifying something of the iframe that causes it to be a new history entry. One could instead access the content of the iframe directly and change it using innerHTML (or the W3C html-changing functions) and not leave a history entry.

The last thing I want to complain about is pop-up blockers blocking the "play in pop-up" button. While I was looking for the reason of the last problem (it would need a reason, usually you'll have to do difficult things to do the exact opposite), I found that the three buttons at the top where actually a flash file. Now I know that this is a flash portal, but there are correct and incorrect uses of flash. Most things other than what could be submitted to the portal are incorrect use of flash (barring some exceptions such as using flash to play a sound). Besides, I don't see any reason at all to make these buttons a flash file. And as it happens, once these buttons are done in html rather than flash, it's a piece of cake to make a pop-up blocker not consider it something that needs to be blocked.

So, that's enough complaining. Before I continue to my suggestion, I would like to highlight something another user said:
Adding the author's name to the title bar of a flash would be nice.

Alright, as to how I would do it. It sounds like swapping the suggestions and the flash info box would do a lot of good in terms of solving the author not getting due credit. However, I think I can do better than that and leave them as they are and solve a couple of problems at the same time.
Personally I think it would be best to collapse the area that is taken up by the flash and the suggestions to - say - a 100 pixel height area. This area would feature a very large play button and possibly some other nice stuff. This way all the things that were pushed down, aren't pushed down so much. When clicking the button the flash and the suggestions would fold into the page much like the write a review-box does now. A close button would remove the flash again, but probably it should leave the suggestions, as this would be the moment at which the suggestions would be most relevant. Possibly it would be good to move things around a bit so parts can move up even though the suggestions are staying in their place, but I am not sure whether I would go with that or with simply leaving the area where the flash was open.

What I have not addressed yet is the idea that outsiders will like the autoplay. Somewhere in the thread the option of using a GET variable for this (?autoplay=true). This sounds alright, but is not, as people will copy the url of a game they like when digging it and not add that variable. So I came up with the following: autoplay unless the HTTP_REFERER is newgrounds. This way incoming links will have the benefit of autoplay, while if you start out at newgrounds, you won't have flashes autoplaying.
With this system in place, I think it would still be good to implement an overriding GET variable, so links in weekly mails can be done such that autoplay is off.
One could argue whether the flash info and the suggestions should be swapped when autoplaying. In the end I think it would be best not to. These incoming users are the ones that the suggestions box is most important for, and I think that authors can stand not being in the spotlight in this case. However, it is easy to argue in favor of swapping them as well.

Well, that's my eight thousand words (or two cents) on the new view. I hope you can do something with my suggestions, and if not... too bad.

Sigmu
Sigmu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:12 PM Reply

Very good!

But too Lag!

The Dark On Our Side!

BBS Signature
Tott
Tott
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:15 PM Reply

Woah that's strange.

Not what I'm used to I mean.

BLITZ MY CHAKRAS.

BBS Signature
CanadianSnowman
CanadianSnowman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:15 PM Reply

This thing is crap, at least give us the option of turning it back.

SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 5/27/09 02:28 AM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: tom: idea:
make it so we can EDIT the "other flash you might enjoy" thing

that way i can link people to flash my friends have made when they are watching something of mine

Seconded. That would be a very awesome idea. Kind of like the "tell your friends about this flash!" e-mail feature from the old layout, except better and smarter and sexier.

Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature
SuperAppendixMan
SuperAppendixMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 5/27/09 01:08 PM, GreatMagicalHat wrote: So I came up with the following: autoplay unless the HTTP_REFERER is newgrounds.

No, a better solution would be to autoplay by default (possible to turn off by ?autoplay=false), and have it be an account option to change default autoplay to false.

I still stand by letting us specify nowidescreen, cause enlarging bitmap graphics looks crappy.

BBS Signature
TETKA
TETKA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:21 PM Reply

I don't like it at all. I'm using a mac so nothing can work. and i would really want to ask you to fix other thing's to be same as the site is on windows. PLEASE !

CanadianSnowman
CanadianSnowman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:23 PM Reply

Stop using Mac, that's your solution.

shadow2008
shadow2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:25 PM Reply

can there be a button where can have the new or old style of newgrounds so we choose individually when we go on the site to choose from the two styles. I like the old style best

GreatMagicalHat
GreatMagicalHat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:26 PM Reply

At 5/27/09 01:19 PM, SuperAppendixMan wrote: No, a better solution would be to autoplay by default (possible to turn off by ?autoplay=false), and have it be an account option to change default autoplay to false.

I simply do not agree with that, better is quite the subjective term here.

Also, yes I did come up with that, please stop denying that.
(I'm sorry, your blunt claim about the better solution just asked for a nitpicky reply)

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:29 PM Reply

At 5/27/09 01:26 PM, GreatMagicalHat wrote:
At 5/27/09 01:19 PM, SuperAppendixMan wrote: No, a better solution would be to autoplay by default (possible to turn off by ?autoplay=false), and have it be an account option to change default autoplay to false.
I simply do not agree with that, better is quite the subjective term here.

Also, yes I did come up with that, please stop denying that.
(I'm sorry, your blunt claim about the better solution just asked for a nitpicky reply)

Sorry but like, I don't see how yours could possibly be "better", then making it an account option accomplishes the same effect, but adds more flexibility and at the same time encourages people to register an account.

Rohedin
Rohedin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:33 PM Reply

Very good, although there is one problem. Some games like Shift 4 are portrait, not landscape. This means that when you expand it, the bottom half of the Flash disappears. It'd be better if it took into account the height as well as the width. Other than that, very nice!

Faladis
Faladis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:37 PM Reply

Do you think it would be possible to let users choose what layout they want, say for instance, if they liked the new wide layout, they could have that in their account options?

If they wanted the old layout however, like I do, then they can choose that.

As it stands, I don't quite like the wide layout. It looks too much like we are ripping off Youtube's movie section options, or the Gaia online cinema.

Pink-Ninja
Pink-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:38 PM Reply

It's going to take some getting used too thats for sure.

*Sshhh... I'm an NSA spy bot

BBS Signature
Shadowii2
Shadowii2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:42 PM Reply

I watched some of my oldschool favorite submissions on Newgrounds and it's working great!

My only complaint is that the header looks pretty ugly and some other parts of the submission pages look odd, too.

Also, Tom, is it possible that you could make it, that you can select between either showing everything automatically in Wide Layout or in the previous Layout? Like for example go to your "my account" page, and change viewing settings there? As that would help a lot on my slower computer and for some other people, I bet.

Wayero
Wayero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:44 PM Reply

I liked it better when I could close a flash instantly if I didn't like it. Now I have to close out the whole page and not leave a review/vote or continue listening while doing it. Not that big a deal, but its a habit of mine.

Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:45 PM Reply

It brings the site more into line with other flash websites, I personally do not like it.
But I believe it is better for the site.
So I can certainly live with it.

I hope you update the rest of the layout soon cause it looks sorta silly.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
Shaun
Shaun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:47 PM Reply

It brings the site more into line with other flash websites, I personally do not like it.
But I believe it is better for the site.
So I can certainly live with it.

I hope you update the rest of the layout soon cause it looks sorta silly.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:47 PM Reply

initial thought - why is my firefox not rendering the page properly

on discovering that it's intentional - wtf have they done, this looks awful

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
Wayero
Wayero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At 5/27/09 01:44 PM, Wayero wrote: I liked it better when I could close a flash instantly if I didn't like it. Now I have to close out the whole page and not leave a review/vote or continue listening while doing it. Not that big a deal, but its a habit of mine.

I forgot to mention that I do have the option to open the movie in a new window, but it seems like a hassle now compared to the old layout (giant PLAY NOW words helped). The new layout looks too busy and to me it comes off as sloppy and disorganized.

Based on the movies that I've watched under the new design, the layout takes away from the authors comments a lot.

GreatMagicalHat
GreatMagicalHat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 5/27/09 01:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Sorry but like, I don't see how yours could possibly be "better", then making it an account option accomplishes the same effect, but adds more flexibility and at the same time encourages people to register an account.

I seriously hope I am still entitled to have a different opinion without trying to convince you.

Shadowii2
Shadowii2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 02:01 PM Reply

Wow, now the layout is definetely looking better and "You also might enjoy" is maybe little distracting, but it's a lot more tempting now, than when it was previously almost un-noticable.

GioArenas
GioArenas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout May. 27th, 2009 @ 02:02 PM Reply

Awesome!
I like it a lot.