00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

urdad514 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,325 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:01:52

Love love love lolol

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:02:29

I personally hate the new layout. I usually open 5-10 games and Flash movies at one time in tabs, and with this new damn autoloading crap, I have them all trying to play at once. I usually can do this to open everything from the portal I want to see during that day at once and keep them saved open as I get time to go to each tab. Now, of course, that is sort of pointless, and I'm sure I'll be using NG a heckuva lot less as a result. If everything is going to be autoloaded and embedded, what makes NG different from YouTube now or any other site? There's no reason to really visit Newgrounds now, especially since it's just like every other site minus the ability to embed the stuff, so your "upgrade" really just made NG inferior.

------------

I am PR Josh!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:03:10

I like the night-mode feature, but really miss the ability to turn a flash off without leaving the page. Also, it looks horrible like this.

I disapprove. I'm sure that morons from other, more mainstream sections of the internet will prefer it, but I find it less functional and less visually appealing than the last layout.

yes.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:03:21

It is slightly good because you can judge or vote for the movie fairly, I mean, you can watch the movie or play the game ahead. Some are tired to watch or play, so, they blam it.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:03:18

At 5/27/09 12:31 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: But who cares about the facts and research... right? Change is BAD!

I will admit that you made some legitimate (and oft repeated points); however, you presented none of the mentioned "facts [or] research". Instead, you based your entire post off of your personal experiences with friends. If you were to present a factual rational with your research methodology, then I would be much more likely to support this initiative. In its current state, it is an unacceptable attempt to boost ad revenue at the expense of the community.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:04:09

Whoa, I definitely do not like having the normal view on the left side of the page for smaller moveis.
The recommendations take up half the screen
CENTER THAT SHIT FOR PETE SAKE

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:10:02

At 5/27/09 01:03 AM, zimzap wrote: If you were to present a factual rational with your research methodology....

I think zimzap means "rationale" when zimzap writes "rational."

------------

I am PR Josh!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:10:07

I like it! I know this is just the beginning, which is what people seem to be forgetting. It's gonna improve, just give it some time. It seems like people are too afraid of change, which several people have pointed out. I mean, Wayne's World put it perfectly. The redesign, "It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."

I have a Twitter that I link to everywhere. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:12:01

If there could be a way to return to the old layout through an account setting, I'd be much obliged. While it's kinda neat to watch large flash, I am really fond of the way the website came together after the last redesign and would like to be able to keep it that way.

Check out my latest short story and let me know what you think!

Don't be Jellyous.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:12:35

Nice work on this, Guys! I Like how I'm able to look up comments and the info on the Videos when I use this! I'm not so sure if games would work for this, though... But it's a great Idea and Deserves a chance on Videos, in my Opinion!!!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:16:07

thanks alot guys i hate it.

for flash that isn't wide screen, there way too much dead space.
loading the flash on the same page as the details uses a lot of extra space.
the increase of ads lag more.

I think the layout is ugly.
i hate the fact that i have to load every flash now, even if i just want to read the author comments and reviews first.

here's an idea bring back the play/watch button and have the flash viewing area collapsed with java script.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:19:46

This, like many other things, is good.

Takes getting used to though.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:22:49

looks grrrreat!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:23:57

At 5/27/09 01:01 AM, Goat-Man wrote: Sometimes I j go to a Flash page to look at it's details. I sometimes even have to make my decision on whether or not I watch it based on that, and things like it's size.

Load times on Newgrounds a respectablly fast right now.
With this new wide layout, the movie instantly starts loading, forcing the webpage to load 1/3 as quickly because it tries to load both things at once.

The bigger size and such is nice, but overall it's not helping a lot.
If there were a feature so that accounts can choose if they want to see it or not, then I'm sure there would be no problems!

I strongly second that. As it stands, this is the first real threat to my Newgrounds usage since I started coming here.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:25:46

At 5/27/09 01:02 AM, Jdisasoldier wrote: I personally hate the new layout. I usually open 5-10 games and Flash movies at one time in tabs, and with this new damn autoloading crap, I have them all trying to play at once.

You open up 5-10 flash games at a time? Negro what you NEED to open up is the damn classifieds and load up a JOB OR A LIFE

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:27:21

Aw man, this is great. Great work guize!

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:28:51

At 5/27/09 01:25 AM, Stamper wrote:
At 5/27/09 01:02 AM, Jdisasoldier wrote: I personally hate the new layout. I usually open 5-10 games and Flash movies at one time in tabs, and with this new damn autoloading crap, I have them all trying to play at once.
You open up 5-10 flash games at a time? Negro what you NEED to open up is the damn classifieds and load up a JOB OR A LIFE

GOOD JOB NEWGROUNDS I USUALLY OPEN A BUNCH OF GAMES AT ONCE AND WRITE 5 NEGATIVE REVIEWS AT THE SAME TIME BUT NOW I CANT. ITS LIKE NEWGROUNDS IS YOUTUBE BUT ITS NOT AND GREY AND ORANGE. I DONT LIKE WATCHING MOVIES, I JUST LIKE CLICKING PLAY THEN CLOSING MY BROWSER FUCK YOU NEWGROUNDS IM GONNA GO TO YOUTUBE NOW CAUSE ITS THE SAME THING

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:32:55

At 5/27/09 01:25 AM, Stamper wrote: You open up 5-10 flash games at a time? Negro what you NEED to open up is the damn classifieds and load up a JOB OR A LIFE

From a guy with more than 2,000 forum posts and probably not as many degrees as me. Hm. Touché, you got me.

------------

I am PR Josh!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:35:07

Sweet!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:37:04

At 5/27/09 01:28 AM, JohnnyUtah wrote: GOOD JOB NEWGROUNDS I USUALLY OPEN A BUNCH OF GAMES AT ONCE AND WRITE 5 NEGATIVE REVIEWS AT THE SAME TIME BUT NOW I CANT. ITS LIKE NEWGROUNDS IS YOUTUBE BUT ITS NOT AND GREY AND ORANGE. I DONT LIKE WATCHING MOVIES, I JUST LIKE CLICKING PLAY THEN CLOSING MY BROWSER FUCK YOU NEWGROUNDS IM GONNA GO TO YOUTUBE NOW CAUSE ITS THE SAME THING

Sounds like someone is bitter that they made something crappy and got a poor review once or twice. Or maybe he just likes using all caps because it makes Utah seem less Mormon and more extreme? I actually, if you must know, open the multiple tabs at once so I can have them there in my browser throughout the day to go to and carefully watch/play and critically think about them before I consider how I will vote or review them. Even with YouTube, at least I can pause something if I don't want it to start playing... this new layout on NG leaves quite a bit to be desired in that realm for us casual users who can't devote time to all the stuff we want to see all at once. Not sure why you feel the need for all of the caps and complaining about me sharing my opinion in the forum, which I'm pretty sure is what we were asked to do in this thread, eh?

------------

I am PR Josh!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:37:21

HOLY CRAP! I like it! It's... GOOD!

Morally Challenged

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:37:48

This is nice.

NOW CHECK THAT MAIL TOM.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:40:07

At 5/27/09 01:28 AM, JohnnyUtah wrote: ITS LIKE NEWGROUNDS IS YOUTUBE BUT ITS NOT AND GREY AND ORANGE. I DONT LIKE WATCHING MOVIES, I JUST LIKE CLICKING PLAY THEN CLOSING MY BROWSER FUCK YOU NEWGROUNDS IM GONNA GO TO YOUTUBE NOW CAUSE ITS THE SAME THING

GREY AND ORANGE MORE LIKE GAY AND ORANGE

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:41:00

I perfer just to watch Flashes here. Where it's easy and more enjoyable.

http://bioshock2forums.com/ucp.php?

i=profile&mode=signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:46:26

At 5/27/09 01:28 AM, JohnnyUtah wrote:
At 5/27/09 01:25 AM, Stamper wrote:
GOOD JOB NEWGROUNDS I USUALLY OPEN A BUNCH OF GAMES AT ONCE AND WRITE 5 NEGATIVE REVIEWS AT THE SAME TIME BUT NOW I CANT. ITS LIKE NEWGROUNDS IS YOUTUBE BUT ITS NOT AND GREY AND ORANGE. I DONT LIKE WATCHING MOVIES, I JUST LIKE CLICKING PLAY THEN CLOSING MY BROWSER FUCK YOU NEWGROUNDS IM GONNA GO TO YOUTUBE NOW CAUSE ITS THE SAME THING

i guess thats one way to ignore a valid point

all trolling aside, cant you guys just make it so the flash doesnt load unless you click it once? think vimeo.

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:52:49

I personally liked the old layout better. It bugs me to see the animation page take up the whole screen. I also think that it looks a lot more neat with the white space (black space I guess) around the page.

The new additions are pretty nice though! Being able to darken and brighten the screen and enlarging the flash size for better viewing was a brilliant idea.

Great work with the site, keep it up.
:3

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 02:03:03

It's great! It'll take a little while to get used to, everything's in a different place, but it's a great idea, and I hope more is added to this later! :D

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 02:03:05

LOOK GREAT!!! much better than that buggy pop up :3

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 02:03:38

I love the new layout! The extra options are fun to play around with and allow a user to customize their viewing to their preferences, it's so awesome!

The only thing I'd like to see is the vote box moved above the author info (or the option to do so somewhere). Not that author info isn't important (far, far, far from it), but some author info boxes get quite long (especially on collabs) and the vote box is always short and simple. To put it another way, the author info would never get spammed off the screen by the vote box.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 02:05:22

Meh. I like the old layout better. I'd prefer to have a choice what layout is being used (say for example, have an options menu or something when accessing your account).

*sighs*