00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

macybluetwo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,514 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:03:45

When the related submissions are on the right: my eyes are bleeding. I like when my game is centered or else it freaks me out.

When the related submissions are on the bottom, I love it!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:04:43

sweet finally i can see the bottom lol

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:04:56

It is also really sad that the user information are so far down on the page. I feel that it's important that you know who did the movie, what's the audio, what's the score and so on without having to scroll down.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:08:15

one last thing, when you click the night button you need to press back more to go back to the portal

e.g.

click on a submission on the portal and go to page - watch movie - press back once - takes me back to portal
click on a submission on the portal and go to page - press night button - watch movie - press night button - press back 7 times - takes me back to portal

i have tried it with all other buttons on the page but thats the only one that seems to do it

Web Hosting: Free! Premium!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:08:49

in flashes where you can right click and uncheck play to pause it, the audio conitnues after you do so. a problem for people who try to pause to do something and come back to find the audio out of sync :P

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:09:01

i don't like it.

I don't like change...

I'll adapt soon enough, then be reluctant to change it back

The redesign happened, now my signature doesn't match anymore.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:10:21

Good try, but it needs to be redone again. Author's comments and score and reviews, etc are important, and right now, IMO, it looks like a squashed mess, like one of those miss spell websites.

mmm.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:19:11

I like the new layout, it fits my monitor perfectly! I just makes the ad banner really obvious now.

But that's fine, that banner is why all this can be done for free from my perspective.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:23:01

i like it the old way better i have to say, sure the widescreen is cool but a lot of games have weird glitches when you play then in wide screen. like my catch the coin 2 it messes up the collision with the sides of the stage totally.

maybe you should just have an option that lets the devoloper choose when submitting a game whether he wants it to be able to be viewed in full screen or not?

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:26:00

i pretty much never ever post stuff on the BBS so when I do you know its important. so listen up! besides, look how big my penis is! RESPECT!

So the new layout obviously has some problems, but everything new has it's initial problems. The problems get worked out and the end result is usually a pretty gratifying experience. Why just look at Windows Vista!.... okay don't look at windows vista....

But really, yeah there are problems (and a lot of them are specific to the individual user's computer), but do you really think the guys behind this awesome site are just gonna leave it in tattered shambles? Hell no! They're just trying out their new thing, ya whiny douche-cocks! Give it some time. Jeepers!

Yes the site isn't quite as pretty and aesthetically designed as it was yesterday, but if anything I think that's a sign of good things to come. In the beginning of the year Tom mentioned a lot of big changes to come, so what makes any of you think they're going to end here?
(I've heard rumors about an Art Portal and a Lit Portal... hmm... seems like those would take up just enough space along the top bar to match the widescreen layout.)

Also, no one's forcing you to watch movies in widescreen mode. It's an OPTION! Since when is having more freedom and choices a bad thing? I'm sorry, I thought this was America.... turns out its actually a website that can be viewed all over the world. My bad.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that you haters need to just calm down and give it time. I'll admit I'm not in love with all the changes myself, but I'm not throwing a fit about it and giving up on Newgrounds. I trust that these changes will eventually be for the better.

I personally can't wait to start making flashes in widescreen now that I know I have the option.

***I WILL ADMIT though, this is probably a wet dream for spammers who don't include a load screen and play button. The Autoplay thing is too idealistic. It would be a snazzy feature if this was a site that had only the highest quality flashwork, but that's never been what Newgrounds is about. That's gonna need some attention, but I'M CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO POST AN ENTIRE FRONT PAGE BLOG WHINING ABOUT IT.... not that anyone would do something like that.

High five Bob, lilJim and PsychoGoldfish! It's a terrific first step on the road to a better Everything by Everyone.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:27:11

It'd be fine without the auto-play.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:31:41

At 5/26/09 pretty much ALL PM, a bunch of crybabies wrote:

Waaaaahhhhhhh my interets changed, I hate this site now even though it's the same content, it's DIFFERENT NOW!!!!!! WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

This was not something anyone decided to do willy nilly because we were bored. It's an indisputable fact that sites with immediate content presented has a much higher success rate with viral promotion. I get more links to stupid video sites that aren't even clos to the size of NG then I EVER get to movies ON NG from my buddies who have nothing better to do than surf stupid entertainment sites or pass on links THEIR friends sent out.

Throw in related content right beside the movie and it's a variable click-fest that can easily make a bored web surfer lose several hours of their life.

So in short, this means more page views, and a larger audience for quality content.

Oh, and did we mention YOU GUYS GET A SHARE OF THE AD REVENUE ON YOUR SUBMISSIONS?

Now to the people crying about preformance hits.... hit the moon button and then look at the ads that you feared would hamper the preformance of the flash. Guess what! THEY SHUT OFF WHILE YOU ARE PLAYING OMFG!!!!!!!!!!

Then for all you guys who are terrified the big bad spammers are going to get you... take a look at any flash that's under judgement or has an adult rating. The flash doesn't load in automatically because we understand it may not be safe... and nobody wants dicks popping up on their office PC. Yes, we've actually been in this business enough to comprehend these things....

Finally, while the current list of related content is not the best guage of potential... the final product will put a lot of emphasis on common authors. That means if you have a series... or a lot of games in a specific genre.. YOUR content gets promoted with YOUR submissions. It also benefits people you work with a lot... so someone watching a submission by Luis might get suggested to see a BomToons game... and from there a Glaiel-Gamer game...

Ultimately this is going to get quality stuff supporting quality authors and other quality stuff. It will benefit the authors, it will benefit NG and that just means we can keep on investing more and more to give you ingrates more stuff... FOR FREE.

But who cares about the facts and research... right? Change is BAD!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:35:32

Psycogoldfish pretty much summed everything up right there. When looking through his post, it's hard to really see a NEGATIVE. The only possible downside I could find would be quality degrading, but that hasn't happened to me, or anyone I know for the matter, up to this point.

Excellent job you guys, you really deserve a pat on the back :)

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:36:18

how come you removed the flash icon pics on this layout update???????????

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:37:25

At 5/27/09 12:35 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Psycogoldfish pretty much summed everything up right there. When looking through his post, it's hard to really see a NEGATIVE. The only possible downside I could find would be quality degrading, but that hasn't happened to me, or anyone I know for the matter, up to this point.

definately agreed, but theres still some of the problem with the collision on the sides of the stage

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:39:22

At 5/27/09 12:37 AM, billowillo wrote:
At 5/27/09 12:35 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Psycogoldfish pretty much summed everything up right there. When looking through his post, it's hard to really see a NEGATIVE. The only possible downside I could find would be quality degrading, but that hasn't happened to me, or anyone I know for the matter, up to this point.

definately agreed, but theres still some of the problem with the collision on the sides of the stage

A new wide layout is a lot like a new wide girlfriend. You take her home and she's got a few unpleasant lumps here and there... but after you've put her in wide mode a few times you start to iron those lumps out.

I might have messed up that analogy... maybe it was a wide road.... I forget....

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:41:23

Yeah, shit takes time. I'm sure people had to take a while to adjust to the 2007 redesign, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:43:45

At 5/27/09 12:39 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: A new wide layout is a lot like a new wide girlfriend. You take her home and she's got a few unpleasant lumps here and there... but after you've put her in wide mode a few times you start to iron those lumps out.

I might have messed up that analogy... maybe it was a wide road.... I forget....

Is this your guys secret way of justifying/tax excempting the new treadmill and bow-flex you're gonna buy for the office so you might actually slightly resemble your user pics?

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:45:19

wow I love this new thingy

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:46:35

Sweetness! This make this site better then before....Did not know it could get much better lol. Keep up the great work yall!

-Sarge

Keep on keepin on.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:48:09

At 5/27/09 12:39 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I might have messed up that analogy... maybe it was a wide road.... I forget....

But what happens if our new wide girlfriend eats all of the food and drinks all of the beer....? WHAT THEN?

I love it by the way :D

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:48:44

At 5/27/09 12:41 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: Yeah, shit takes time. I'm sure people had to take a while to adjust to the 2007 redesign, too.

2006, WHOOPS

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:49:29

Feels different, but overall it's pretty good. I guess I'll have to get use to it.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:49:42

HAHAHAHA! Freaken true! Just give it a bit!

-Sarge

A new wide layout is a lot like a new wide girlfriend. You take her home and she's got a few unpleasant lumps here and there... but after you've put her in wide mode a few times you start to iron those lumps out.

Keep on keepin on.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:54:56

Moan, moan, whine, whine... I can't say I'm particularly fond of the new layout. But I guess I don't really have any choice but to get used to it?

Unless, of course, Mr Fulp wanted to add an option in your profile that allows you to choose which of the layouts you wanted to use? That would make Tom even more godly and awesome... but at the same time allow users that little bit of unwieldy power to have a little control over their experience(!).

Clicky, clicky!

^ No seriously; your mouse will thank you for it :D

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:55:49

I'll probably get used to it eventually, but at the moment I can't say I'm a fan of the new layout. I liked popup style and default dimmer. And while having the dimmer button is a good idea, its slightly irritating to turn it on and off for every vid. Oh and there's something glitching where the ad is getting stuck hovering over the voting buttons after I watch a vid.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:59:10

Wow, I like the new layout. Only problem are the weird empty boxes attached to the top right of the movie screen. I guess those were supposed to be the ads.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 00:59:47

Hey guys I don't like the new design and view some flaws in it but obviously I am being a whiny bitch and I should look up to the staff because everything the staff does is great and good and the staff cannot possibly mess up and all is for the best in this best of all possible websites.

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:01:31

My internet isn't that awesome.
Sometimes I j go to a Flash page to look at it's details. I sometimes even have to make my decision on whether or not I watch it based on that, and things like it's size.

Load times on Newgrounds a respectablly fast right now.
With this new wide layout, the movie instantly starts loading, forcing the webpage to load 1/3 as quickly because it tries to load both things at once.

The bigger size and such is nice, but overall it's not helping a lot.
If there were a feature so that accounts can choose if they want to see it or not, then I'm sure there would be no problems!

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 01:01:28

I think actually edmund's video applies to this thread too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwc9FWvG2 BA