00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Amoongoos1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout

72,515 Views | 643 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:51:00

Wow, Large boxes covering the profile stuff and everything is autoplaying thanks to this update. REAL HELPFUL.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:53:40

Ok, in the last few minutes, my view has gone from "this is ok", to "this is...meh...", to "this absolutely sucks balls".

Everything feels so uncomfortable, pieces of the header overlap things, not being able to see the reviews box while viewing a flash makes things feel so...lonely...and the page looks so boring.

For the love of all that is holy, give us the option to use the original view...

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:54:39

I don't like it, I wish we could go back to the old one

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:55:39

Seriously, I hope this is just a test, because if this is the new permanent layout...

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:56:18

The new wide layout looks awesome imo.
Great job, guys.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:56:31

I love you Tom.

Keep it, its awesome!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:57:16

At 5/26/09 09:22 PM, JonBro wrote: I've put some thought into it... and I've decided I heavily dislike this new layout for many reasons.

cool!

There are a good many movies and games out there that are absolutely positively NOT meant to be witnessed in widescreen, for reasons like image quality, zooming, visual errors, etc.

you don't HAVE to switch to wide, and you can easily switch back.

Pretty much nobody's ever going to see the 46x46 icons people make for their submissions now.

oh no!

It's fairly likely the double-sized screens would increase lag. I've tested this theory on a movie or two and haven't actually found that to be the case, but somehow it doesn't seem possible for it not to lag a little more when in widescreen.

again you dont have to size it up. most movies will run fine.

Everything on every page is stretched out, and with the 0-5 voting system unaligned with everything else and the trophies and Flash information in a new place... it looks horrendous. Complete garbage.

I do love 14 yr olds and their penchant for hyperbole. there's gonna be a new redesign kid calm down.

Any movie without a play button or a preloader will start automatically without giving a chance for the rest of the page to load. With pop-ups and the old dimming-lights setup, this was never an issue. There should be a way to be able to start a Flash and THEN have it start loading. Say, like a "WATCH THIS MOVIE" button!

what are you on a 56k modem?

Where did the age rating go? Out of curiosity, I've checked a couple of Adult-rated movies and games, which I now almost regret seeing, but it helped me to know to avoid them later. Now you can't even tell what kind of movie you're going to watch.

UPPER LEFT

To quote livelavalive, "this actually makes we want to stop making flash."

just leave then. i hear there's starving kids in africa, they could use your seemingly endless passion.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:58:02

At 5/26/09 09:48 PM, Skeik-Sprite wrote: *stuff*

You say that as if everything I said was purely opinion and everything you said was purely fact, which is not the case.

I think it's pretty obvious that most every Flash artist who has responded to this thread either wants the new layout either completely taken out or at least left as an alternative option for a select few Flashes. Having it left like it is now has already resulted in many problems, and keeping the old layout as the main option would fix nearly every one of them.

~

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:58:09

ALRIGHT!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 21:59:14

Its so ugly and I hate it. Sure it's always nice to have a new design, but let's not go downhill.

- The wide version doesn't fit all computer screens so the wide is only applicable to some computers.
- The flash automatically opens, so we don't have a choice of whether we want it to open or not.
- Depending on movie dimensions, flash either opens in the middle of the page or to the left with distracting links that look like ads on the right. It's unfair to some. (Not to mention the links to other Newgrounds stuff is always the same)
- Because there isn't a splash page about the flash with a choice of "Watch this Movie" or not, the author's information is down on the bottom. It discourages the viewer to read about the submission or the author.
- It's an interesting layout with the organization of the boxes, but it also discourages people from voting since its in between author information and an ad about half naked anime girls.

These are some of the craps I noticed. There may be more. I think that if there should be a redesign that involves wide screen, it should be incorporated into the old pop-up system. This system I think is a step backwards somehow.

ok im done bye.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:01:55

Absolutely hate the changes. This might drive me away from the flash portal if stays like this much longer.

The changes are ugly at best, dysfunctional at worst. Hopefully things are reverted in the next day.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:02:23

I don't know. I liked the old screen better.
It's pretty cool though.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:04:31

Holy shit I had no idea there were so many crybabies on this site. This is the new layout, deal with it or GTFO. You guys have no idea how much not having the flash embedded in the pages has hurt Newgrounds over the years, because when a viral movie or game would hit the net, inevitably it wouldn't even be Newgrounds getting the lions share of the viewers, even if it originated here.

Why do you think the the words PLAY THIS MOVIE were so freaking huge on the old pages? Because it was an extra step people weren't used to and it confused outsiders. People on the internet only want 1 thing - immediate results, and when you link them a flash movie, they want it right there in front of them immediately, not after an extra unneeded step. I've been waiting a long time for this change, this is a good day for Newgrounds.

/rant

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:07:21

i like it myself, it just gonna take a little while to get used to it

i stole this sig

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:07:34

This is going to take some getting used to....

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:10:05

Why do you think the the words PLAY THIS MOVIE were so freaking huge on the old pages? Because it was an extra step people weren't used to and it confused outsiders.

I agree, though those few that stayed and ignored the extra step (in most cases) got interested in the community rather than on only the games and the movies.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:11:39

Awesome, now I can play games that run the risk of me sweeping my mouse off the screen without having that pop-up box go fucking nuts when I accidentally scroll the screen. The layout of the flash page looks a little off, but it's more that I'm overly used to what it had been for so many years. I'm sure that in a month or two no one will remember what it used to look like without using the wayback machine.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:12:35

Nicely done! Newgrounds keeps getting better and better.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:12:43

I really don't like it, I think a setting that one can choose from would be better for the people that do like it.

Check out my newest News Post!

Anyone need an artist or coder for a game? Drop me a PM!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:12:51

Okay, I just now realized that liljim says he's sizing it all to fit the rest of the site (or the rest of the site fit the new game page) so I take back my last suggestion :P. Also, at first I looked at it and saw it as ugly and cluttered, but now I think that everything is more conveniently layed out and nice. I just can't WAIT for the lit portal to come :).

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:13:13

Sweet new feature, thanks Tom!

I'm sure most of the users will now fap to widescreen pr0n.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:13:36

Something feels....odd.

I don't like this.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:18:19

At 5/26/09 08:21 PM, DarkRedFlame wrote: Is there anyway for us users to have the option to open flashes instead of having them load immediately, because with this auto-run feature spam flashes could become much more dangerous by having a whole shitload of actionscript making pop-ups.

i think that not having the play option is unfortunate. i liked having the option of reading the description of the flash and looking at the maturity rating specs before watching.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:19:49

I agree with JonBro in that I won't really use it; maybe if I watch waterlollies again, but other than that I can't really see it as a useful feature. I probably will eventually.

ALSO, if you look at MY flash (not a plug, but an example), it took it from bad to SHIT if you view it in widescreen. It's nice and small otherwise, but if you view it in widescreen it's like I just zoomed in with the magnifying glass to 400%, which REALLY makes it look bad and REALLY brings out my shitty shading job. I guess it's my fault for submitting a piece of shit like that.

shit

Other than that I can get used to it; it's not like it ruins anything

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:21:00

At 5/26/09 09:58 PM, JonBro wrote:
You say that as if everything I said was purely opinion and everything you said was purely fact, which is not the case.

I think it's pretty obvious that most every Flash artist who has responded to this thread either wants the new layout either completely taken out or at least left as an alternative option for a select few Flashes. Having it left like it is now has already resulted in many problems, and keeping the old layout as the main option would fix nearly every one of them.

Look, I'm not trying to say my opinion is fact, or is better then anyone elses, but I really feel like the wide layout brings a lot of the focus back to the movie itself. I like the idea that people are going to actually see my movie/game now if they click a link, rather then just reading a few bad reviews and leaving. And that's another thing I think is good. Getting the reviews out of the way may encourage people to take the movie in by itself, rather then being swayed by the opinions of the reviewers.

But yeah, I really like this new layout and the fact that I can enlarge the flash things. Even if raster images get a little messed up, the movie itself is much more engaging (to me) bigger.

I dunno, maybe having an option to switch it back but I wouldn't use it. And no one seemed to ever use that lightbox style play movie button.

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:24:22

I like it. However there are a few things I missed about the old way of doing it, but i still like it nonetheless. Good job guys!

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:25:43

I'd also love the option to save as a setting "always pop out movies/flashes" or "enlarge by default" (a feature I personally wouldn't use).

At least like, most of the motivation in creating a hulu account for me was so I could save my settings and not have to click the HD button every time I start up a movie. Might encourage people to register accounts.

along with my earlier suggestion of a "no pop up" option

Also maybe, put the author's name(s) on the title bar too?

like:

Wide Layout

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:27:40

Exactly, we (the folks on NG that actually make flash) take the time to make a flash, and we don't want our reviews or votes being affected as a result of some idiot only viewing flashes in expanded mode. In some cases this can badly lag the video and/or sound in a flash and as a result, the viewer will be left with a bad taste (in regards to that flash). AT THE VERY LEAST GIVE THE ARTIST THE OPTION TO DENY EXPANDED VIEW ON THEIR FLASH CONTENT!

ALSO, SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HECK IS THIS THING OVER MY PROFILE INFO????

Wide Layout

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:28:47

At 5/26/09 10:21 PM, Skeik-Sprite wrote:

Look, I'm not trying to say my opinion is fact, or is better then anyone elses, but I really feel like the wide layout brings a lot of the focus back to the movie itself. I like the idea that people are going to actually see my movie/game now if they click a link, rather then just reading a few bad reviews and leaving. And that's another thing I think is good. Getting the reviews out of the way may encourage people to take the movie in by itself, rather then being swayed by the opinions of the reviewers.

yes exactly, in the end we believe this will get your games and movies more views. people can send a link and your average non-internet savvy person can immediately begin watching or playing that game.

flash is an odd beast but everybody needs to relax, it'll all work out.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-26 22:29:45

I REALLY don't like this idea. It's just too huge, and it takes a while for me to get my eyes fixed on the whole thing. I don't want to push myself 5 feet away from my computer just to watch a movie. Man, it hurts.