Respond to this Topic
mutzz
mutzz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 10:57:33 Reply

At 5/26/09 08:17 PM, TomFulp wrote: Alrighty... The wide layout has launched!

The "Related Content" info needs to re-populate with proper results. Until then you will see a lot of content that doesn't feel very related... The end result should be much better.

If you want to test the "Max Size" button, which makes Flash fill the width of the layout, try it on these!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/15 1706
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/18 9081
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/43 9541
You can still open Flash in a pop-up as well, and the moon icon dims the lights, like the lightbox layout we had before this. Give it a minute to soak in and let us know if anything is totally broken.

Everyone thank PsychoGoldfish, Liljim and Bob!

dear,hot,sexy tom fulp (lol):

i really would like a bike, a camera and a the killers new day and age album...wait thats for santa anyway i really liked what you did to newgrounds unlike this other pages try to better their page but they dont succeed.So i wanted to congratulate you and all ng staff for keeping up with the kardashians...wait again i meant the good work (whats wrong with me today?).

P.S: if you are wondering who took the last slice of pizza last tuesday it was henry, yea he came drunk and hungry from the party so he did it anyway i left a note maybe you didnt see it.

Love Grandma (haha kidding again) ;)
mutzz over and out

Andragon
Andragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:02:01 Reply

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but we should be able to have the option to switch between the old and new layouts. I prefer the old one, but I'm sure others like the new one. Pretty please?

Stop STARING!

Trixiaoyu
Trixiaoyu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:03:51 Reply

Tom Fulp, the new wide layout is awesome. I am guessing that you guys copied the design from the wide screen layout on youtube. Haha. It's still good though. 10/10

xenith800
xenith800
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:10:48 Reply

Please please pleeeeease make an option to toggle between old and new layout. The new one just makes things harder to find especially since I usually just get in, check a few movies or games, pms and such and get out; all in a minute or so because I just don't have the time I'd want to explore the whole site. Also, auto-loading flash movies and games is just wrong.

sergge
sergge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:12:15 Reply

i dont like it,the old style was the best,please change it back!

Darren1337
Darren1337
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:17:36 Reply

I hate it tbh. It's good that the flash window doesn't fuck up when you scroll up and down but I'd really rather put up with that than an oversight as large as no stop button. I was trying to review a submission and this shitty low quality music was driving me insane. Poor guy probably got a lower score than he deserved.

Smella dodge.

BBS Signature
bifgis
bifgis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:17:52 Reply

Thumbs down.

Shawn
Shawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:27:45 Reply

Wide layout not kool I have my computer set to 800 x 600 revolution it just doesn't work... At least I'm still able to run games/movies in pop-ups

Free Hugs! Friends List! Space Cases "You Are Not Alone Video", In memory of the greatest show ever!

BBS Signature
mranarchy
mranarchy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:27:47 Reply

I give this a great big 'eh'. Still pretty cool though, and all the new little buttons are awfully exiting.

However the pop-up doesn't work for me (It did before so could it be my blocker?...Or maybe its the fact I'm on a mac)

Anyhoo, well done you lot, it doesn't really make much of a difference as far as I'm concerned but it looks very pretty and I'm sure will make it easier to link videos.

"Put Smarties tubes on cats legs, make them walk like a robot."

BBS Signature
Nicholas-Deary
Nicholas-Deary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Animator
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:28:15 Reply

At 5/27/09 10:28 AM, Nicholas-Deary wrote: Please change it back...

Actually, I've changed my mind about it; after reading Psycho-Goldfish's post I've realised that it will be best for everyone seeing as everyone will get more views on their submissions and such. The only two things I would change is having the author information next to the submission window and having the trophies nearer to the top because they are very important.

BBS Signature
SuperAppendixMan
SuperAppendixMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:34:26 Reply

I found a use for the widescreen layout!

BBS Signature
henke37
henke37
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:36:09 Reply

At 5/27/09 10:05 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Keep in mnd, Newgrounds is not some big site backed by venture capitol. We are all about branching features to the audio community, but with limited resources, most of our time is spent on maintainance and revenue generation with the long term goal of being able to do more in way of sponsorships, and bringing in new talent to the team that can help with features relating to multi-author audio (amongst other awesome ideas on the super long 'to-do' list we have).

How about asking what features people actually want before launching them? A redesign was not needed, and just by a gross guess, I say that about half the comments about it is negative. People are citing good reasons to NOT have this design.

Besides, aren't you supposed to be working on that chat? Ghee, why is it taking so long? Is DNF going to come out before the chat?

Ask people for opinions, they got plenty to share. Making half the userbase unhappy is a bad move.
Go ahead, try and blame that much on people not being used to the new stuff. Because change is bad.

I ask, why do people not complain about old stuff? Because they no longer care about it. It's old news, and it's not something they think about.
Yes, all the complains are going to come in when it's still new. It's because no one cares when it's old!

This situation feels like Nintendo all over again, "let's make our loyal people upset by focusing on the causual masses! Screw the repeat visitors! What, the repeat visitors have opinions? Bah, who cares?". Yeah, real good business practice.

Or for the people with short attention spans:
I don't like this redesign project one bit. It was unexpected and done without any feedback, resulting in a lot of people being upset.

And as the finishing words:
Change is not bad. Unexpected change is.

Each time someone abuses hittest, God kills a kitten. Please, learn real collision testing.

HolyKonni
HolyKonni
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:39:08 Reply

It's great, but please put the "user, co-author, views, upload date, filesize"-box higher up, next to the flash maybe. People should be able to see stuff like that.

BBS Signature
TurtleKirby101
TurtleKirby101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:41:03 Reply

It's awesome! thanks phcogoldfish, that other guy, and bob!

My youtube account :) ||| Join the resistance 2 crew! Meditation. Better than sitting around doing nothing, eh?

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:41:04 Reply

At 5/27/09 11:27 AM, mranarchy wrote: However the pop-up doesn't work for me (It did before so could it be my blocker?...Or maybe its the fact I'm on a mac)

If you're using Safari 4.0 (beta), it could be that. I can't get it to work, and I think Glaiel Gamer pointed out that he couldn't get it to work either, and we're both using Safari.

When I use Firefox on a Mac, the pop-up works just fine.

I believe someone pointed out earlier on that Safari may not work for pop-ups because it automatically axes them without notification. This doesn't explain why I could use the pop-up function before though.

BBS Signature
Insanimation
Insanimation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:46:06 Reply

I'm not satisfied.

Good Points:
I can vote easily whilst still playing.

Bad Points:
You can't instantly see all the information, which is useful.
The voting buttons look out of place and alone

GOTPENMUSTFLASH!

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:48:47 Reply

At 5/27/09 11:34 AM, SuperAppendixMan wrote: I found a use for the widescreen layout!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/49 7142

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO that is PERFECT

At 5/27/09 11:36 AM, henke37 wrote: I say that about half the comments about it is negative.

Oh sure. And how many people do you think have logged on today and HAVEN'T commented?
There have been 500 posts in this thread. Let's say thats 250 negative comments. That's in the last 15 hours.
Newgrounds gets half a million unique hits a day.

250 is a DROP IN THE OCEAN.

BBS Signature
SeethingSwarm
SeethingSwarm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:52:07 Reply

SWEET!

TheMaskedOne
TheMaskedOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 11:57:55 Reply

I like the new layout, but it could potentially be more dangerous if the ActionScript makes pop-ups. One thing I'm not sure of is what do the small icons above the flash mean?

Arkuni
Arkuni
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:02:49 Reply

I honestly doesn't like it, at all. It's too much of a clusterfuck now.
But, why change it all? The old design wasn't broken.

I'm still waiting for a fucntion so I can sort reviews by their length.. hint hint!

Okay, okay... something funny... something funny.... hmmm.... which quote am I most likely to get away with as my own?... I KNOW!!! "I eat my own shit!" - The local homeless

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:12:26 Reply

At 5/27/09 11:34 AM, SuperAppendixMan wrote: I found a use for the widescreen layout!

HAHA how the hell did you do that?

Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:13:20 Reply

At 5/27/09 11:48 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: There have been 500 posts in this thread. Let's say thats 250 negative comments. That's in the last 15 hours.
Newgrounds gets half a million unique hits a day.

250 is a DROP IN THE OCEAN.

250/500 of people who dislike the new look is a high proportion in this case. It's a good sample of the half million visitors, hence why administrators are taking note of the complaints and looking to improve upon them.

BBS Signature
Jdisasoldier
Jdisasoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:16:05 Reply

Hahaha, fived it!

For anyone with a graphic design background like myself, the new layout just makes you cringe. And I saw someone mention how NG didn't really consult the user base before the change at all, alienating its publics much like Nintendo did with its most loyal customers with the Wii and the type of software being developed there. In public relations, we call this a lack of environmental scanning, where there is an expectancy gap formed that produces issues for organizations that threaten their legitimacy. That formation of a legitimacy gap, with a lack of any sort of actional legitimation thus far from Newgrounds (defending policies or actions successfully), coupled with the security issues some have mentioned this new layout opens people up to, is just all a big smack in the face to NG's most loyal users from my viewpoint. I wonder if NG actually has anyone consulting them on their strategic communication strategies at all or if they are just winging this whole thing (like they seem to have winged the layout).

Well, I'm sure it'll all be driven by the money sources and not by the people who have just came here for years to enjoy what all of the artists are doing for them as media consumers. It's a slippery slope, though, alienate enough people and the hits go down and the advertisers go away.

Does anyone know of any sort of good rival site to NG or have any of the artists out there considered an upstart with a simple, clean layout to launch and blow NG out of the water? It would be interesting to see some competition methinks, and there are plenty of talented artists on here who could pull it off. Consider it another collab.

------------ I am PR Josh!

Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:16:34 Reply

At 5/27/09 12:12 PM, Gorgorothx wrote:
HAHA how the hell did you do that?

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;
function update(e:Event){
if(stage.stageWidth <= 500 && pen.currentFrame != 1) pen.play();
if(stage.stageWidth > 500 && pen.currentFrame == 1) pen.play();

scaleX = stage.stageWidth / 500;
scaleY = stage.stageHeight / 300;
x = (stage.stageWidth - 500) / -2;
y = (stage.stageHeight - 300) / -2;
}
addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, update, false, 0, true)

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:19:54 Reply

At 5/27/09 12:13 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: 250/500 of people who dislike the new look is a high proportion in this case. It's a good sample of the half million visitors, hence why administrators are taking note of the complaints and looking to improve upon them.

But it's not. Of course it's important to pay attention to the masses, and judging by pyschogoldfish's most recent post they are, but we're not a sample of their visitors.

They created this to give the flash to us more directly, so that passing trade wouldn't go straight through without stopping, but would see the flash quickly and easily. For people who've been on Newgrounds enough to create an account, this isn't a problem. But there's no-one who hasn't already created an account, who clearly likes NG a reasonable amount, who's posted in this thread.

It's not an accurate sample of the 500k. It's a useful sample when paying attention to what to change etc but it's not a random 1/1000th.

BBS Signature
dx5231
dx5231
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:30:55 Reply

This Wide Layout kicks ass

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:35:44 Reply

At 5/27/09 12:16 PM, Jdisasoldier wrote: For anyone with a graphic design background like myself, the new layout just makes you cringe.

Has it ever occured to you that the "wide layout" is a works in progress? Of course not, someone who has such a swollen inferiority complex as you wouldn't even have contemplated that.

Eventually, each of the elements of the page will fill the width of the inner part of the page. It is not possible to do that without going all out on that for every section of the site, which we did with the redesign and it very nearly burned us all out.

And I saw someone mention how NG didn't really consult the user base before the change at all.

We base what we work on from solid facts - trends we see in statistics, something the userbase is not privvy to (though they tend to speculate upon it regularly enough, taking heresy for fact).

Well, I'm sure it'll all be driven by the money sources and not by the people who have just came here for years to enjoy what all of the artists are doing for them as media consumers.

You have completely misunderstood the point of all of this. Most people who come to this site come to watch flash, or listen to music. The fanbase does not equal the majority of people who come here on a daily basis, who watch the content, but couldn't give a monkeys about who created it, stats, etc. They get to the site, watch the content, then leave. Simple as that. If they have to get to the page, click something to get the content going, etc, this hinders what they were here to do in the first place.

THE most important thing about each of the content pages is that it delivers the content to the audience. And what we've done here makes that far more efficient than it was before. This actually will benefit authors more, too, because anyone who's patient enough to sit through submissions will also be likely to find out more about who created it. There is no evidence against changes we've made in the past to suggest otherwise.

keepwalking
keepwalking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:40:09 Reply

the new layout is much better than the old one. I like the change. BUt...I miss the old one too. for example: when you saw a movie the old layout set a verry cool mod with the background shadow, and the movie in the center. now that mood is lost. mabye if you include an option to set that black shadow curtain behind the flash window again like the old times....that would be really cool IMO

andybbsido
andybbsido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:40:12 Reply

Its pretty cool, I think i liked the other layout better though.

kanef
kanef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Wide Layout 2009-05-27 12:41:00 Reply

Cool! I love seeing my movies in it!

comment pls - plug.dj sevkitty.com forum - last.fm D - ńęwgróuńdśęś ręśidęńt pątrićiąń

BBS Signature