New Topic Respond to this Topic
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Jul. 31st, 2009 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 7/31/09 05:35 PM, physicsman09 wrote: I'm in Air Force ROTC at my college, does that count as being in the military?

No.

That's an attempt at being in the military.

Seriously, I laugh every time I see one of you guys on campus, cause either your uniform is all fucked up and nasty, or you look nasty, or you just plain think you're the shit.

If you're not a pompous dick, I'll let you in.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:29 AM Reply

whats the the beef with you guys and officers really?

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Aug. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:37 AM Reply

At 8/2/09 12:29 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: whats the the beef with you guys and officers really?

I don't really have a beef with officers, he's a ROTC, not yet an officer.

I want to be an officer myself. Problem with most of them, especially fresh butter bars out of college is they think they're the shit, but they know just as much at a fucking private.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 2nd, 2009 @ 02:28 AM Reply

At 8/2/09 12:37 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 8/2/09 12:29 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: whats the the beef with you guys and officers really?

I want to be an officer myself. Problem with most of them, especially fresh butter bars out of college is they think they're the shit, but they know just as much at a fucking private.

oh okay yeha its those college kids if I plan on being a officer I think i'll just attend a millitary college and go through it that way even though I think being a Warrent officer would be way cooler.

Wonko-the-Sane
Wonko-the-Sane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 2nd, 2009 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 8/2/09 12:37 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote:

What's the difference between a Second Leiutenant and a PFC?

PFCs been promoted.

I hated the army the first time I was in Iraq, those assholes would always shoot at us, and we never had comm with them for some reason. Second time was a cakewalk.

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Aug. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:13 AM Reply

At 8/2/09 02:28 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote:
oh okay yeha its those college kids if I plan on being a officer I think i'll just attend a millitary college and go through it that way even though I think being a Warrent officer would be way cooler.

Yea, Warrant officers are so much more respected because they have to know what the hell they are doing and they have experience already before becoming officers.

At 8/2/09 02:37 AM, Wonko-the-Sane wrote: What's the difference between a Second Leiutenant and a PFC?

PFCs been promoted.

I was a contract PFC lol. I totally agree with your point though.

I hated the army the first time I was in Iraq, those assholes would always shoot at us, and we never had comm with them for some reason. Second time was a cakewalk.

Yea I'm tellin you, some people just don't know what they are doing, yet think they know. It drives me bazonkos, cause you know you can't say anything.

Alwngnome
Alwngnome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:30 AM Reply

I've spent a total of 2.5 years over there. None of that pog s&*T either. I was a medic assigned to the infantry. We spent 12 hours a day at least patrolling. after my second tour I was glad to be back for good. Too many stories I can't tell anyone. If you haven't gone don't be in any hurry too go. If you arn't infantry you will probably never leave the wire, so don't talk it up. All it is is a year long shit show where you prove that you can go for a year without going to bars, and restaurants and stuff. It has to be done, but like I said, if you arn't infantry don't talk it up, it will be a waste of your life.

Wonko-the-Sane
Wonko-the-Sane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 3rd, 2009 @ 01:45 AM Reply

At 8/3/09 01:30 AM, Alwngnome wrote: I've spent a total of 2.5 years over there. None of that pog s&*T either. I was a medic assigned to the infantry. We spent 12 hours a day at least patrolling. after my second tour I was glad to be back for good. Too many stories I can't tell anyone. If you haven't gone don't be in any hurry too go. If you arn't infantry you will probably never leave the wire, so don't talk it up. All it is is a year long shit show where you prove that you can go for a year without going to bars, and restaurants and stuff. It has to be done, but like I said, if you arn't infantry don't talk it up, it will be a waste of your life.

I wasn't infantry and I'd be outside the wire for a minimum of two weeks at a time. Most I was outside was almost two months. I hate when infantry think that they're all hard and shit. Other people have jobs too.

BBS Signature
Alwngnome
Alwngnome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 3rd, 2009 @ 11:31 AM Reply

I wasn't infantry and I'd be outside the wire for a minimum of two weeks at a time. Most I was outside was almost two months. I hate when infantry think that they're all hard and shit. Other people have jobs too.

Yeah other people have jobs, But I don't know how many times we bailed pog units out. Engineers, MPs EOD. Sure they did their part out there, but They would get shot the heck up, a lot. My unit ran 7000+ comb at patrols in Iraq. we had 44 wounded and no one killed. We were the first regular army infantry battalion to go a full tour in Iraq with no deaths. To top that we were in charge of the security ar Abu Gahrib, and we patrolled a quarter of baghdad. All this was during the first and second elections. Sure other people have to leave the wire. I'm not saying that they don't and they aren't in danger. I'm sick and tired of people who go over there and work in an office and go on a patrol once or twice talking up what they did. If you patroled as much as you say you did i'm sure it pisses you off too.

Alwngnome
Alwngnome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 3rd, 2009 @ 11:36 AM Reply

Yeah other people have jobs, But I don't know how many times we bailed pog units out. Engineers, MPs EOD. Sure they did their part out there, but They would get shot the heck up, a lot. My unit ran 7000+ comb at patrols in Iraq. we had 44 wounded and no one killed. We were the first regular army infantry battalion to go a full tour in Iraq with no deaths. To top that we were in charge of the security ar Abu Gahrib, and we patrolled a quarter of baghdad. All this was during the first and second elections. Sure other people have to leave the wire. I'm not saying that they don't and they aren't in danger. I'm sick and tired of people who go over there and work in an office and go on a patrol once or twice talking up what they did. If you patroled as much as you say you did i'm sure it pisses you off too.

Acadien
Acadien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Aug. 7th, 2009 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Joined the Canadian Force 3yrs ago
Weapon Technicien and love it.

B4gle
B4gle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 7th, 2009 @ 11:27 PM Reply

Which do you think is the better rifle, the C7A1 ( canadian forces ) or the M4?

You have to draw the line of determination from desperation. What is truly yours would eventually be yours, and what is not, no matter how hard you try, will never be.

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew Aug. 8th, 2009 @ 04:23 AM Reply

At 7/29/09 10:57 PM, B4gle wrote: That is awesome. Didn't you wear ear protection though? or is it just not that effective? I always wondered if you can put on music while driving a humvee or a tank or something like that. i couldnt imagine anything cooler than shooting shit with hip-hop or death metal blaring in the background. So can you? or is that a stupid question.

well ear protection only gets you so far. your eyes and ears are the guys inside the truck. if you can't hear what they're saying you you're a sitting duck. and yeah we'd buy those little shitty 20 dollar battery powered speakers that you can hook up to an ipod and listen to that shit just to pass the time. (for the record i was never deployed sadly. i just did a month long training stint in barstow cali.) we don't have like headphones or anything blaring music while we're shooting because you have the guy riding shotgun has the radio and you HAVE to be able to hear him or your fucked.

wonko i want to tell you a story about when i arrived at beautiful fort gordon georgia. we got our post introduction from a lady sergeant major who talked to us about PTSD. she went on to talk about her unit (she was in the signal core, about as POG as it gets) got sent out on patrols and did all the same shit we did and how she was never in the wire. i simply asked her how did that work out for you? she told me that she watched some of her own men burn alive and they lost half of their platoon. pogs aren't meant to be outside the wire. if you WANTED to go out and kill motherfuckers and do all the crazy shit, you would've signed up for it. to go out in a unit that knows nothing about combat and expect to come back alive? that's more balls than i have. touche my friend.

b4gle, i know nothing about the canadian rifle, but i like the m4, because despite all the rumors about how much it jams and explodes on you and stuff, if you keep it clean, i've never shot a rifle that was as maneuverable in a small area or as accurate for it's size as the m4. i prefer the m249 because nothing makes walking into a house easier than knowing you've got 750-850 rounds per minute at your disposal. :)

and spiffy, i didn't see anything of yours that i needed to quote, but you know i love you. :)

TracyJackson
TracyJackson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 08:47 AM Reply

As for me, well, I'm also a current soldier. A seaman, to be accurate. I am a 1st Lt. in the Navy, currently on a naval tour to patrol India. I was a '07 grad of the US Naval Academy, and is happy to be an officer.

Follow my command boys !!! (haha)

Chris F.- Varsity Football Captain, Starting QB, #11
CHS Rangers- (6-1) 17th in State
All-Regional Offensive MVP (2), District Player of the Year (1), 2 State Championshps

Peregrinus
Peregrinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 09:42 AM Reply

At 8/9/09 08:47 AM, TracyJackson wrote: seaman

[Navy Joke Goes Here]

For myself, I'm a rifleman with the Canadian military. I get to drive around in LAV III (like the stryker, but better). Currently we're training a new set of officers. Which means that we play their bitches while they muck things up.

The LAV III, for those who haven't seen it (25mm chain gun, 7.62mm coax, 7.62mm or 5.56mm pintle):

Military Crew

BBS Signature
Lizzardis
Lizzardis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 09:42 AM Reply

Right, I'd like to ask a few questions. Pardon me if this is a stupid one and Spiff, don't rip it out of me will ya? We will only get into an argument again xD

If someone were to join the military and become a soldier, what are the chances of them going to Iraq? If its a low percent/odd, where do the other soldiers go when those in Iraq have gone?

Also, if you were a soldier, what are the chances of you getting wounded by a bullet? Major or minor? Is it a different chance if you were in Iraq?

Sorry, I have been bobbing in here more just wanting to ask those questions. I just never did, well now I have :)

Eman110
Eman110
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 11:32 AM Reply

Ya, I'd also like to ask some questions:

1. I'm 14 but would ultimately like to join either the Army or Marines. Are there any programs provided by either for people too young to enlist(like a cadet type of thing)?

2. I would like to go to college first and have some of it paid by either the Army or Marines. If I accept money from them, will there be any restrictions to colleges I can choose or courses I can take?

3. Out of the Army and Marines, which sees more active deployments to combat zones like Iraq and Afghanistan, and which deploys more to places like Germany and other European countries?

Your answers are appreciated.

WTF

Peregrinus
Peregrinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 11:39 AM Reply

I can't answer these, not my country ^^

At 8/7/09 11:27 PM, B4gle wrote: Which do you think is the better rifle, the C7A1 ( canadian forces ) or the M4?

C8 heavy barrel :D

But seriously, between the 2, I'd stick with my C7

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 09:42 AM, Lizzardis wrote: If someone were to join the military and become a soldier, what are the chances of them going to Iraq? If its a low percent/odd, where do the other soldiers go when those in Iraq have gone?

i can only speak for the u.s. army, but it depends on what job you join as. if you sign up as Infantry, then you're going to deploy, whereas if you sign up as a band member (bet that blew your mind huh?) you probably won't go.

Also, if you were a soldier, what are the chances of you getting wounded by a bullet? Major or minor? Is it a different chance if you were in Iraq?

in the army, it seems like it's the people that aren't infantry are the ones that are always getting hurt. since it's our job to go on patrols and all the cool infantry stuff, we're pretty good at it. it's the people who work at a desk and one day they get sent on patrol because a patrol was short a guy. that's usually who gets hurt. and my 3000 man brigade has been in afghanistan for about 6 months and only a few people have been injured and even less have been killed. most of the injuries are concussions from ieds flipping trucks. nothing too serious.

B4gle
B4gle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 11:39 AM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 8/7/09 11:27 PM, B4gle wrote: Which do you think is the better rifle, the C7A1 ( canadian forces ) or the M4?
C8 heavy barrel :D

But seriously, between the 2, I'd stick with my C7

Hell yeah, go Canada! haha. and about your other post you made, I'm signing up to be a officer once I finish my schooling, so if your still driving your LAV in about 5 years maybe I'll get to boss you around a bit for training :P

You have to draw the line of determination from desperation. What is truly yours would eventually be yours, and what is not, no matter how hard you try, will never be.

BBS Signature
Glides
Glides
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 2/18/09 07:53 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: Don't know or think anyone's done this before, but I thought I would start a club for anyone who is current or former military. I realize most of the people on this website aren't even old enough for this, but why not give it a shot.
I'm currently a LCpl in the Marine Corps, reservist for now until I finish school, and I'm based up in Portland, OR.
Hopefully I get some interest, and we go from there.
OohRah

Well I'm not in the military, but can I join (because I think long hours of Halo gives you some experience, no I'm kidding).

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature
Peregrinus
Peregrinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 06:18 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 04:34 PM, B4gle wrote: so if your still driving your LAV in about 5 years maybe I'll get to boss you around a bit for training :P

I'm currently not driver, I'm dismount. In 5 years, I won't be driver, more likely gunner or section 2IC (if all goes well).

Oh, and I'll be sure to visibly facepalm your screw ups :)

BBS Signature
B4gle
B4gle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 06:36 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 06:18 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 8/9/09 04:34 PM, B4gle wrote: so if your still driving your LAV in about 5 years maybe I'll get to boss you around a bit for training :P
I'm currently not driver, I'm dismount. In 5 years, I won't be driver, more likely gunner or section 2IC (if all goes well).

Oh, and I'll be sure to visibly facepalm your screw ups :)

Who says I'm going to screw up, I'm sure theres nothing TOO complicated that I cant handle, by the time I reach training with a LAV anyway.

Even if training is hard, it looks very cool. I think when you first become an infantry officer you command 20 men and a LAV? That is just plain awesome. I just hope 2012 doesn't turn out to be real and kills me before I get a chance :P

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 07:04 PM Reply

peregrinius, i'm curious about the canadian officers in the army since b4gle has brought it up. in ours, the officers kind of get looked down on because they usually have no time in service, yet think they know everything. the only difference between a private and an officer is usually the private has been in the army longer.

Peregrinus
Peregrinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 06:36 PM, B4gle wrote: I think when you first become an infantry officer you command 20 men and a LAV?

You start as a platoon commander. Roughly 30 troops, 4 LAV (3 rifle sections + HQ section)

At 8/9/09 07:04 PM, michelinman wrote: peregrinus, i'm curious about the canadian officers in the army since b4gle has brought it up. in ours, the officers kind of get looked down on because they usually have no time in service, yet think they know everything. the only difference between a private and an officer is usually the private has been in the army longer.

I've been fairly lucky with the officers I've had. Our most recent was on last year's DP1.2 summer cycle. We shot at hi, then he commanded us once he graduated. He's turned out fairly well. The smart ones learn from the NCO's. And if they end up being complete tools, well, they find their way out of command position fairly quickly.

Their training cycle varies based on where they do their university. If a civy university, they do their training in the summers only. Those that choose the path of RMC (Royal Military College) intermingle training with their studies the way they would at West Point or Sandhurst.

The DP1.2 portion of their training is the final phase of their training. It consists of dismounted operations, as well as a mounted portion. Really the only difference between the two, is that in the mounted training, you ride in a "big green monster that shits out white people" (one of the names the Afghans have called the LAV apparently), instead of walking to attack position.

They roll up to whatever distance they decide, dismount, and proceed to attack with LAV's as fire support (the whole bunch being commanded by the "LAV Captain".)

BBS Signature
Peregrinus
Peregrinus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 08:53 PM, Peregrinus wrote: DP1.2

On that note, I'm away from here for a week while I play bitch to officer-trainees. I'll field more questions when I get back (with photos aplenty!)

BBS Signature
Eman110
Eman110
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 09:46 PM Reply

Also in addition to my other questions, i was wondering about reconnaissance.
1. Is it more dangerous than other posts, like infantry?
2. How often do you actually cross into enemy territory?
3.Is there a high risk of being captured?
4. Is the only job of a recon officer to gather intel, or are there other duties too?

Any feedback appreciated.

WTF

B4gle
B4gle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 9th, 2009 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 8/9/09 09:46 PM, Eman110 wrote: Also in addition to my other questions, i was wondering about reconnaissance.
4. Is the only job of a recon officer to gather intel, or are there other duties too?

Any feedback appreciated.

Okay, I'm not 100% on this.. more like 50% actually. But I think Recon also includes snipers, Armored vehicles checking out the area, and spotting for artillery. I'm pretty sure you can't just sign up for "recon" though. If you sign for armored personnel , then you could still be sent on a recon mission.

Correct me on this if im wrong, I'm definitely not the person who knows the most about the military here.

I would imagine you would go into enemy territory a lot .. as thats pretty much the entire point of recon. Also I havent heard of many soldiers being captured.. I've only seen a few on the news that they were looking for.

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew Aug. 10th, 2009 @ 03:50 AM Reply

At 8/9/09 09:46 PM, Eman110 wrote: Also in addition to my other questions, i was wondering about reconnaissance.

SF. ugh. the definition of overrated.

not really because those guys can handle their shit. the thing is, they spend most of their time training iraqi/afghani army instead of getting in the fights. once you pass sf selection you're allowed to sit on your ass and get fat. ranger is a way more prestigious way to go in my eyes.

with the wars we're fighting, it's more of an occupation than anything. there's not really "enemy territory," just areas where people fuck with you and take off more than others.

meh. no.

for that you should probably ask a recon officer instead of NG. haha.

:At 8/9/09 09:55 PM, B4gle wrote:

Okay, I'm not 100% on this.. more like 50% actually. But I think Recon also includes snipers, Armored vehicles checking out the area, and spotting for artillery. I'm pretty sure you can't just sign up for "recon" though. If you sign for armored personnel , then you could still be sent on a recon mission.

there's "recon" in pretty much any infantry division, not just armored personnel. it's a lot of ruck-marching, and a lot of putting up with shit that sucks with not much payout. there's nothing really special about regular recon, they're just randomly drawn people throughout the battalion. not like an elite select few or anything. as far as sf recon, you have to be 21 and go to the sf q course which all in all adds up to about two years of hard ass shit trying to break you mentally and physically. totally not worth it in my eyes.

TracyJackson
TracyJackson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Aug. 10th, 2009 @ 06:51 AM Reply

in my eyes, the Navy is the best thing out there(in regard to jobs)...I was selected at 1st for Submarine Officer...but that's boring...as a Sub officer, all you really do is help the commander manage the bridge, and boss people around...but...

a Surface Warfare officer is better than a Sub-butterbar(Lt.)...as a SW officer, I have to help manage the bridge and operate the controls at times...then, we have a shift for us to go to the flight deck, and oversee the launch operations(boring stuffs)...the 3rd shift is break, then it's all over again...

all in all, a SW officer have more variety in their day-to-day job...a Sub or Flight officer have same jobs pretty all day, with little excitement('cept in battle station)

Chris F.- Varsity Football Captain, Starting QB, #11
CHS Rangers- (6-1) 17th in State
All-Regional Offensive MVP (2), District Player of the Year (1), 2 State Championshps