Be a Supporter!

Military Crew

  • 48,010 Views
  • 599 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
wwwyzzerdd
wwwyzzerdd
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 23:25:08 Reply

Shit. I was going to join until I learned that I wouldn't be the highest ranking as an E-5.

So I've been talking to MICHAEL about my experiences. Kinda weird that he's going in as a grease monkey although he wanted to be a religious program specialist. That kinda happens I guess; I wanted to go cryptology or information tech in the Navy; but I killed the AFQT and they signed me up for the nuke field. Now I'm an Electricans Mate 2nd Class.

So far I'm a final plank owner of Submarine NR-1 and soon to be initial plank owner of SSN 782 (Mississippi).

It is funny in talking to MICHAEL to learn that other than deactivate 1 boat and go to school for 1 1/2 years I haven't done much else. I guess it doesn't make for any cool stories to tell at a bar but it's been a rather rewarding job. I remember talking to a guy just 1 year younger. He actually just got out of the Army and was sent somewhere in Asia (not Afghanistan though) as a paratrooper. I guess he accomplished a lot and has plenty of stories. He was shocked though to find out that someone in for just 2 years is an E-5 and has done nothing to earn it.


BBS Signature
Psycho666
Psycho666
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 23:52:47 Reply

Former 11B, army regular. If you don't know what that means, piss off. Fort Benning recruits are the army. My only shame is in not being medically fit so serve any longer.


BBS Signature
DizzeeRascal
DizzeeRascal
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-21 03:51:11 Reply

At 10/20/09 06:58 PM, KennyD wrote:
Yes, I am in the US. The Marines historically have always been an amphibious assault force and with 80% of all major cities with in 20 miles of ocean shores, it remains one of our primary doctrines. The primary focus of the Marines is our Infantry, with every other element in direct support of them.

I assume the Moravas are essentially part of the Greek Army, and your pretty much a regiment of Amphibious Warfighters, I.E. Marines, rather than a stand alone force

I see.

Yes the Moravas are a Brigade in the Greek Army, and I have been assigned to one of the infantry battalions that make up the Moravas.


he's jus' a rascal...

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-21 12:37:16 Reply

At 10/20/09 07:03 PM, MlCHAEL wrote: SpiffyMasta - I am writing on here to get support from military personnel before I go to basic training in the Navy. I've made up my mind and 28 days from now I will be at basic. Chances are - I will have the internet after basic training so if you would like to make me a member - so be it.

What do I have to do to get your rubber stamp?

Nothing really, I'm not that harsh haha. You just gotta be smart enough to write coherent crap and join in on great conversations lol.

At 10/20/09 11:25 PM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: He was shocked though to find out that someone in for just 2 years is an E-5 and has done nothing to earn it.

Yea an E-5 in the Navy just doesn't mean as much as an E-5 in the Marine Corps. It's very easy to climb up the petty officer ranks. I know for a fact, E-4 is pretty much an automatic thing. Making E-4 in the Marines isn't too hard to do either if your active duty. Just by my cutting score I would have been promoted last month. Unfortunately as a reservist my score would have to be 200 points higher for me to be promoted which is kind of stupid. So my only hope is a meritorious board which is only given if you actually deserve it.

In my honest opinion there is a lot of E-4s that really don't deserve it, everyone should have to go up for a board before being able to be promoted. Especially with what they expect of you as an NCO in the Marines.

At 10/21/09 03:51 AM, DizzeeRascal wrote:
Yes the Moravas are a Brigade in the Greek Army, and I have been assigned to one of the infantry battalions that make up the Moravas.

Cool, a Greek Marine! You're more than welcome to join the club, I always find it interesting to learn about how other countries run their military.

What kind of operations are the Greek military currently running? Do you have any deployments going on anywhere?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-22 01:56:08 Reply

At 10/20/09 11:52 PM, Psycho666 wrote: Former 11B, army regular. If you don't know what that means, piss off. Fort Benning recruits are the army. My only shame is in not being medically fit so serve any longer.

Kinda harsh. I'm not in the American Military so how would I know what that means?

11B for me was a callsign. 1st Company, 1st Platoon, Bravo Section.

DizzeeRascal
DizzeeRascal
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-24 20:24:49 Reply

At 10/21/09 12:37 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
Cool, a Greek Marine! You're more than welcome to join the club, I always find it interesting to learn about how other countries run their military.

What kind of operations are the Greek military currently running? Do you have any deployments going on anywhere?

The Greek military have quite a few commitments at the moment. Some Moravas have been deplyed to Afghanistan as part of NATO forces, responsible for a relatively small region in the North West.

There's always border trouble with Turkey in Cyprus, always brewing under the surface.

There's also the war against drug traffickers. A lot of the time in the Moravas will likely be spent patrolling Greek waters in the Mediterrenean.

Although, once I've finished my 12 months, I plan on getting my citizenship sorted out, and joining the Royal Marines here in Britain.


he's jus' a rascal...

gamer30hrplus
gamer30hrplus
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-25 01:05:21 Reply


11B for me was a callsign. 1st Company, 1st Platoon, Bravo Section.

It depends on what unit and what branch you are in. I cannot go into more details than that.


Once you get to know me i can turn out to be a friend. If you wanna know something just ask.

I can be a genie. If you rub me the right way.Transgender Intersexed Group

BBS Signature
KennyD
KennyD
  • Member since: May. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-27 10:27:56 Reply

At 10/25/09 01:05 AM, gamer30hrplus wrote:

11B for me was a callsign. 1st Company, 1st Platoon, Bravo Section.
It depends on what unit and what branch you are in. I cannot go into more details than that.

Or it could mean that 11B is the Army's job code for Infantryman. No real secret there.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-27 13:54:22 Reply

At 10/27/09 10:27 AM, KennyD wrote:
Or it could mean that 11B is the Army's job code for Infantryman. No real secret there.

And since when are females infantrymen in the Army..?

WastedWizard
WastedWizard
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-27 21:24:49 Reply

3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-27 22:25:42 Reply

At 10/27/09 09:24 PM, WastedWizard wrote: 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.

Welcome aboard fellow Marine from across the pond!

Rank? Time in?

WastedWizard
WastedWizard
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-27 23:22:05 Reply

At 10/27/09 10:25 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/27/09 09:24 PM, WastedWizard wrote: 3 Commando Brigade, Royal Marines.
Welcome aboard fellow Marine from across the pond!

Rank? Time in?

Lt, andd hmm just under 3 years.

You still reserves? How you finding it?

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 01:16:04 Reply

At 10/27/09 11:22 PM, WastedWizard wrote:
You still reserves? How you finding it?

Pretty boring actually. I love doing the active duty, and I will permanently as soon as I finish school. I am headed the officer route as well. Hopefully flying some planes! Getting in some air supports for all you grunt troops on the ground.

Do the Royal Marines have a gruntle like we do (we say OohRah)?

AHintofMoonlight
AHintofMoonlight
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 02:42:03 Reply

Im interested in the Army National Guard.

I'd like to be Chaplains Assistant, but no one really wants to tell me what they do on a day-to-day basis. Are they respected at all? So many questions!

Also, do Infantrymen or Chaplains Assistants do alot of walking? Im deathly afraid of burning up inside a smoldering vehicle (pray before I even drive a mile down the road) but if God intends that to be the way I go, then I will accept it.


BBS Signature
AHintofMoonlight
AHintofMoonlight
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 02:46:48 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:42 AM, AHintofMoonlight wrote: Im interested in the Army National Guard.

I'd like to be Chaplains Assistant, but no one really wants to tell me what they do on a day-to-day basis. Are they respected at all? So many questions!

Also, do Infantrymen or Chaplains Assistants do alot of walking? Im deathly afraid of burning up inside a smoldering vehicle (pray before I even drive a mile down the road) but if God intends that to be the way I go, then I will accept it. (better to smoke now than in the hereafter)

Also. I will be enlisting on my birthday. (Well. Considering it's on Thanksgiving im not sure the recruiters office will be open..)


BBS Signature
KennyD
KennyD
  • Member since: May. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 10:37:59 Reply

At 10/28/09 02:42 AM, AHintofMoonlight wrote: Im interested in the Army National Guard.

I'd like to be Chaplains Assistant, but no one really wants to tell me what they do on a day-to-day basis. Are they respected at all? So many questions!

Also, do Infantrymen or Chaplains Assistants do alot of walking? Im deathly afraid of burning up inside a smoldering vehicle (pray before I even drive a mile down the road) but if God intends that to be the way I go, then I will accept it.

I'm not completely sure about the daily day-to-day activities of a Chaplain's assistant, but I've done some working parties at the base's chapel and I do know that they are pretty bad-ass, since a Chaplin is a man of god, he is not allowed to carry a gun, therefore, they act as the Chaplain's bodyguard and they do receive some special training, not exactly sure. I suppose your mostly a clerk for the Chaplin, taking care of paperwork and office duties. As for respect, there's always the "if you aint this, then you aint shit" mentality for every MOS, but since you work within the Chapel, I imagine you would catch alot of trash-talking and your trained as a bodyguard, you won't be any slouch when it comes to infantrymen who like to bitch about POGs (profession other-than grunt).

Any more questions?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 11:50:00 Reply

At 10/27/09 01:54 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/27/09 10:27 AM, KennyD wrote:
Or it could mean that 11B is the Army's job code for Infantryman. No real secret there.
And since when are females infantrymen in the Army..?

Canada has allowed us females into the Infantry for awhile. The term has actually been changed to Infanteer rather than Infantryman.

Canada's trade codes are different... Infantry was 031, but I think they changed it on us.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 13:01:23 Reply

At 10/28/09 11:50 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Canada has allowed us females into the Infantry for awhile. The term has actually been changed to Infanteer rather than Infantryman.

Canada's trade codes are different... Infantry was 031, but I think they changed it on us.

I remember that you already told me, but I thought this one was from the U.S.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 13:19:49 Reply

At 10/28/09 01:01 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/28/09 11:50 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Canada has allowed us females into the Infantry for awhile. The term has actually been changed to Infanteer rather than Infantryman.

Canada's trade codes are different... Infantry was 031, but I think they changed it on us.
I remember that you already told me, but I thought this one was from the U.S.

oh... yeah as far as I'm aware women can not get into the combat arms in the U.S...

WastedWizard
WastedWizard
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 18:29:54 Reply

At 10/28/09 01:16 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/27/09 11:22 PM, WastedWizard wrote:
You still reserves? How you finding it?
Pretty boring actually. I love doing the active duty, and I will permanently as soon as I finish school. I am headed the officer route as well. Hopefully flying some planes! Getting in some air supports for all you grunt troops on the ground.

Do the Royal Marines have a gruntle like we do (we say OohRah)?

Ahh sweet.

Ermm not really, I think the UK and US marines are very different units.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-28 21:25:28 Reply

At 10/28/09 06:29 PM, WastedWizard wrote:
Ahh sweet.

Ermm not really, I think the UK and US marines are very different units.

Yea I'm sure we each have our own unique ways of doing things.

AHintofMoonlight
AHintofMoonlight
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-29 00:03:39 Reply

At 10/28/09 10:37 AM, KennyD wrote:
At 10/28/09 02:42 AM, AHintofMoonlight wrote: Im interested in the Army National Guard.

I'd like to be Chaplains Assistant, but no one really wants to tell me what they do on a day-to-day basis. Are they respected at all? So many questions!

Also, do Infantrymen or Chaplains Assistants do alot of walking? Im deathly afraid of burning up inside a smoldering vehicle (pray before I even drive a mile down the road) but if God intends that to be the way I go, then I will accept it.
I'm not completely sure about the daily day-to-day activities of a Chaplain's assistant, but I've done some working parties at the base's chapel and I do know that they are pretty bad-ass, since a Chaplin is a man of god, he is not allowed to carry a gun, therefore, they act as the Chaplain's bodyguard and they do receive some special training, not exactly sure. I suppose your mostly a clerk for the Chaplin, taking care of paperwork and office duties. As for respect, there's always the "if you aint this, then you aint shit" mentality for every MOS, but since you work within the Chapel, I imagine you would catch alot of trash-talking and your trained as a bodyguard, you won't be any slouch when it comes to infantrymen who like to bitch about POGs (profession other-than grunt).

Any more questions?

Sounds great.

What are my chances of quickly being deployed?

Though I don't WANT to go over there, I'd definately like to know in 10 years that I did my part.

Though I know the National Guard is different, 2 of my friends are going to Afghanistan. 1 near the end of next year, and 1 in 2011.

Pretty good chances of me going as well if im in? (I don't understand how CA's are put into groupings)


BBS Signature
turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-29 17:06:54 Reply

At 10/29/09 12:03 AM, AHintofMoonlight wrote: Pretty good chances of me going as well if im in? (I don't understand how CA's are put into groupings)

i couldnt tell you how CA's deploy or how often, but i can tell you that guard and reserve deploy just as often as active duty...maybe a little less, but not by alot. many branches, especially the air force, are attempting to change the role of their non-active components from "back-filling" to a more operational integration. meaning instead of the guard and reserve doing the active duty guys job while the active guy deploys, they both deploy so neither has to go as often. the days of the lazy "weekend warrior" are gone.


...i've been here a while...

This is my awesome new sig...Do you like it?

Exige2009
Exige2009
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-02 17:01:00 Reply

I'm a former Specialist in the Army . I've been home for one year this last september...crazy stuff, and great times. :D


my sig by: Me
Sig Maker for NGSM Forum

BBS Signature
Exige2009
Exige2009
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-04 15:20:11 Reply

At 10/29/09 05:06 PM, turbosquad wrote:
At 10/29/09 12:03 AM, AHintofMoonlight wrote: Pretty good chances of me going as well if im in? (I don't understand how CA's are put into groupings)
i couldnt tell you how CA's deploy or how often, but i can tell you that guard and reserve deploy just as often as active duty...maybe a little less, but not by alot. many branches, especially the air force, are attempting to change the role of their non-active components from "back-filling" to a more operational integration. meaning instead of the guard and reserve doing the active duty guys job while the active guy deploys, they both deploy so neither has to go as often. the days of the lazy "weekend warrior" are gone.

As far as the Army reserve/nation guard roles go, they are currently being deployed more than the active duty troops in order to lesson the amount of deployment, and stress of multi-deployments. Since there are more reserve/guard troops than active, it has helped with the stress. BUT, if you are worried about deployment...don't be. The average trooper/soldier that deploys has to deal with boredom and fatigue far greater than dealing with the enemy. Unless of course you go infantry. lol


my sig by: Me
Sig Maker for NGSM Forum

BBS Signature
WastedWizard
WastedWizard
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-04 20:45:54 Reply

At 11/4/09 03:20 PM, Exige2009 wrote: The average trooper/soldier that deploys has to deal with boredom and fatigue far greater than dealing with the enemy. Unless of course you go infantry. lol

Even in the infantry in the marines, I think I only fired maybe 9-10 times in 6 months.

iwantbrainz
iwantbrainz
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-04 22:00:17 Reply

Can i join i would love to learn about the military :D

HellboundNinja
HellboundNinja
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-05 07:08:05 Reply

Im a Private First Class in the US Army...i only got like two years left. As of now i plan on quiting the US Army when my time comes and moving the England and joining the Royal Army. Gotta give up my US Citizenship but I dont really use it for much so im not bothered.


BBS Signature
WastedWizard
WastedWizard
  • Member since: Jan. 8, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-05 12:14:27 Reply

At 11/5/09 07:08 AM, HellboundNinja wrote: Im a Private First Class in the US Army...i only got like two years left. As of now i plan on quiting the US Army when my time comes and moving the England and joining the Royal Army. Gotta give up my US Citizenship but I dont really use it for much so im not bothered.

Whats the reason you want to come join us Brits haha?

Exige2009
Exige2009
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-11-05 13:23:20 Reply

At 11/4/09 08:45 PM, WastedWizard wrote:
At 11/4/09 03:20 PM, Exige2009 wrote: The average trooper/soldier that deploys has to deal with boredom and fatigue far greater than dealing with the enemy. Unless of course you go infantry. lol
Even in the infantry in the marines, I think I only fired maybe 9-10 times in 6 months.

lol, are you serious?! Dude that sucks. My time was literally spent working 12 hour shifts playing PS3 in the FOB. On the rare occassions we DID get work, all we did was go, "yep, it's broke. Send for repairs" and go back to playing PS3....I longed for any kind of action! lol


my sig by: Me
Sig Maker for NGSM Forum

BBS Signature