New Topic Respond to this Topic
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 07:53 PM Reply

Don't know or think anyone's done this before, but I thought I would start a club for anyone who is current or former military. I realize most of the people on this website aren't even old enough for this, but why not give it a shot.
I'm currently a LCpl in the Marine Corps, reservist for now until I finish school, and I'm based up in Portland, OR.
Hopefully I get some interest, and we go from there.
OohRah

sirtom93
sirtom93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:01 PM Reply

I am in the army cadets, although I don't intend to join the army.

KrevZabijak
KrevZabijak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:05 PM Reply

That's a great idea! I would have joined, but alas.. I'm a female and wouldn't settle for anything but a combat MOS. (Yes, I know there's -one- combat support but I'm very .. motivated, shall we say.)

I wholly support your idea and hope you get some people to join up. I just wonder if anyone would be interested in a forensics/CSI crew.

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:11 PM Reply

Great idea but why not open it up to all people interested in the military.

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:14 PM Reply

At 2/18/09 08:05 PM, KrevZabijak wrote: That's a great idea! I would have joined, but alas.. I'm a female and wouldn't settle for anything but a combat MOS. (Yes, I know there's -one- combat support but I'm very .. motivated, shall we say.)

I wholly support your idea and hope you get some people to join up. I just wonder if anyone would be interested in a forensics/CSI crew.

I was just going to say haha. I've seen plenty of females hold their own with the males, but the infantry is quite another deal altogether. I know they have female pilots, but they're very few and far. The physical shape you have to be in is quite demanding.
Although I had a female First Sergeant when I was at MOS school that could outrun every male there was. I think she ran like a 15 minute 3 mile, which was completely nuts. But that's all she did is run, miles and miles. The rumor was that after we'd all gone on a formation 5-6 mile run, she would hit the thread mill and run 5-10 more. Don't know if that was true or not, but she was pretty intense.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:16 PM Reply

At 2/18/09 08:11 PM, djconnect wrote: Great idea but why not open it up to all people interested in the military.

If you have questions about the military this would be a great place to ask. But I want to make membership exclusive to current or former military, which is a club in itself. But feel free to ask away, if I can't answer your questions, I can probably find out.

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:26 PM Reply

Alright then I might hang out here a bit then.

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 2/18/09 08:26 PM, djconnect wrote: Alright then I might hang out here a bit then.

So are you interested in joining the military then? do you have any questions?

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 09:08 PM Reply

At 2/18/09 08:54 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 2/18/09 08:26 PM, djconnect wrote: Alright then I might hang out here a bit then.

Yes I am interested and I have been since I was very young. I think there is real honor in serving your country and I have always respected people who wore a military uniform. I also have a sense of nationalism for America. When some one asks me my nationality it is simply American. Most people reply with there ancestry.

Any ways for some questions:

What type of physical shape should I be in before I join?

I am into computers and information tech. What branch will let me explore these feailds to the fullest?

I would like to go to collage for Info tech and get my bachelors degree. How will the military help me with this?

Do you feel like you can trust all your comrades? Any brother ( or sister) like connections?

Any other advice for me, I am not sure if I want to join yet but it is an option.

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 09:47 PM Reply

At 2/18/09 09:08 PM, djconnect wrote:
At 2/18/09 08:54 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
Yes I am interested and I have been since I was very young. I think there is real honor in serving your country and I have always respected people who wore a military uniform. I also have a sense of nationalism for America. When some one asks me my nationality it is simply American. Most people reply with there ancestry.

Any ways for some questions:

What type of physical shape should I be in before I join?

Depends on the branch you want to join! To be perfectly honest, and not to bash on other services but there is a big difference between Marines and other branches. Basic shape you need to be in for enlisted in the Marines is be able to do 3 pull ups, 50 crunches and be able to run 2-3 miles, preferacly 3 miles in under 30 min, which is really slow unless you've never run before. If you're an athletic person you should have no problem being in the right shape.
For officers, the demands are much higher, and this is again for the Marines. I'm sure other branches are much easier to get into as far as officers are concerned. But for officers I'd say 14-15 pull ups, 23 minute 3 mile run and a 100 crunches would do it.
Once you get into basic training they should whip you into better shape. I went from doing 4-5 pullups, 45 crunches and a 28 minute 3 mile run to 14 pullups 100 crunches and 21:30 run

I am into computers and information tech. What branch will let me explore these feailds to the fullest?

Every branch has a ton of different jobs you could do. I know all branches need computer and information tech people, as each branch usually uses their own people to work on stuff. Honestly I would think the Army and Air Force would have a lot more computer oriented things, but for a full look at all the jobs available in the military just go to this wikipedia link: Military MOS

I would like to go to collage for Info tech and get my bachelors degree. How will the military help me with this?

I know the programs differ for each branch, but you have a few options here. Each branch has their own ROTC program, which stands for reserve officer training corps, basically you get to do some military stuff while you're in college and like at my school they get to strut around in their uniforms every thursday, which are butt ugly if you ask me. Nothin beats a USMC uniform, but I guess I'm biased here.
Anyways, you can do that, and eventually when you graduate they make you an officer of whatever branch you choose to join. Of course there's some training in the summer, varying on the branch. That training is basically like Officer boot camp, but more they evaluate you to see if you can be an officer, cause obviously you gotta be good to lead other men. They always have money too to help pay for school.
You can also do like I'm doing right now, which I think is great. Basically I enlisted as a 92-day reservist in the Marine Corps, and if you ever talk to a recruiter, they'll never talk to you about this up-front unless you ask about it. They have it in the Marines, don't know about other branches here. But what it consists of basically is you go to boot camp, you're officially in the military, but you can't deploy anywhere, because you don't go to shool and combat training right away, unlike regular reservists. This is a true gem of a program if you want to gain some years in service while going to school to be an officer, because ROTC doesn't count towards years in service.
The key is you have to apply for PLC, platoon leaders class, which if you are accepted, prevents you from being deployed while you're enlisted because their priority is you finishing school.
So in my case as far as money is concerned, I get the reserve GI Bill, which is about 325 bucks a month, and then a lot more money once I finish my first summer of OCS, which is the summer training/boot camp for officers that is used to evaluate if you have what it takes to be an officer.
I'm pretty sure it goes for about 6000-8000. And if you take out any loans for school, the Marines will pay them back for you once you get your comission as an officer, which is pretty neat.

That's basically what I'm doing personally, but i'm sure that other branches have similar programs available.

Do you feel like you can trust all your comrades? Any brother ( or sister) like connections?

In the Marines at least, everyone is a brother. And that is the unique thing about us. There is no closer branch than the Marine Corps. The fact that we are small, and the toughest of all the branches brings us a lot closer together. I'm sure there is a lot of camaraderie in the other branches as well, but I can guarantee you if brotherhood is what you're looking for, the Marines is the one for you. They stress it very well, we all have each others back first, as our loyalty lies in the Marine Corps.
It truly is all about teamwork for us at least, and when you go to bootcamp that's probably where you eventually get the strongest sense of brotherhood, because they make you become brothers and work as a team.
Knowing that you're part of something that's greater than yourself is a really awesome feeling.

Any other advice for me, I am not sure if I want to join yet but it is an option.

The main advice I have is go talk to a recruiter, but remain careful, some love to be sneaky and dishonest. But most will answer your questions. They definitely are the best resource for information about the military though.

I think the main thing with the military that you will get is a great experience and some great friends. Like I said before too, it's being part of something really great that not everyone is ready to do. I think one of the best things I experience in the military though is when people see that you're in the military, if you're in your uniform or something, and they thank you for serving your country.
I was doing toys for tots (which is a Marine toy drive they do every year) this christmas season, and I was standing at the mall in front of a toy store with my dess blues on, looking sharp of course haha, and every 15-20 minutes, someone would stop and shake my hand an thank me for serving. Not that I have done much so far in my service, but to know that people appreciate what you're doing is a really good feeling, and it really gave me a perspective on what it was that I was doing for this great nation.

That's about all I have for you right now.

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 12:11 AM Reply

Thanks for all the answers, I really want to look into this more. I think I might go talk to a recruiter some time and see what branch of the military might be for me.

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 01:59 AM Reply

Yea, no problem. Talking to a recruiter will get you more info, and probably show you more what the other branches are about. But if you want the real challenge, definitely go Marines. I wouldn't do it any other way.

djconnect
djconnect
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 02:29 AM Reply

Yea my father and uncles were all Marines and I might go that rout as long as they offer what I am looking for.

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 12:46 PM Reply

I am a SSgt (E-5) in the United States Air Force. I am a 2T271-Air Transportation. Anyone have any questions about the Air Force ask away!

II II lI

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 2/19/09 12:46 PM, ForNoReason wrote: I am a SSgt (E-5) in the United States Air Force. I am a 2T271-Air Transportation. Anyone have any questions about the Air Force ask away!

I always thought it was funny that the Air Force E-5 is a SSgt when the Army and Marines is Sergeant. Where you based?

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 09:00 PM Reply

At 2/19/09 07:17 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:

I always thought it was funny that the Air Force E-5 is a SSgt when the Army and Marines is Sergeant. Where you based?

Yeah its... odd to say the least lol. Dobbins AFB Ga.

II II lI

BBS Signature
hongkongexpress
hongkongexpress
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew Feb. 19th, 2009 @ 11:55 PM Reply

Reconrebel is an ex Canadian Forces, he told me to relax, when the Army was slow to process my papers. I will be trying reapply in the near future. Just want to tie up some loose ends before I do.

At 4/22/09 12:38 AM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Raped by hongkong. NEXT.

Yeah, that was one champion of a post, wasn't it? -Zerok

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Feb. 20th, 2009 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 2/19/09 09:00 PM, ForNoReason wrote:

Ive also served at Pope AFB, NC when I was active duty.

I am a reservist now

Ive served at Norfolk Naval Station, VA, Ramstein(sp?) AFB Germany, Ali Al Salem AB Kuwait, Charleston AFB SC, and I think thats it lol. Just thought Id add all that cause I was bored!

II II lI

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 01:51 AM Reply

At 2/20/09 09:50 AM, ForNoReason wrote:
At 2/19/09 09:00 PM, ForNoReason wrote:
Ive also served at Pope AFB, NC when I was active duty.

I am a reservist now
Ive served at Norfolk Naval Station, VA, Ramstein(sp?) AFB Germany, Ali Al Salem AB Kuwait, Charleston AFB SC, and I think thats it lol. Just thought Id add all that cause I was bored!

My uncle and my grandfather were both based in Germany at one point. Both were Air Force. Well my uncle is still in, he's sub base commander at Cape Cod somewhere. How did you like it over there, and what kind of things are they doing over there, I was never quite sure? How long have you been in...

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 01:54 AM Reply

At 2/19/09 11:55 PM, hongkongexpress wrote: Reconrebel is an ex Canadian Forces, he told me to relax, when the Army was slow to process my papers. I will be trying reapply in the near future. Just want to tie up some loose ends before I do.

What do you mean by Canadian Forces? Sounds like you're saying Special Forces. Didn't even know Canada had those haha.
Yea you always want to try to get your sh*t together before you join the service I guess, might come back to haunt you later lol.
You must've had some sort of problems for them to be slow in your processing?

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Feb. 24th, 2009 @ 09:09 AM Reply

Ive been in for 6 years now and Germany was alright. I was busy all the time and didnt get to see to much of the country side. I was there for war operations so yeah, I was working 24/7.

II II lI

BBS Signature
SilentCobra
SilentCobra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Mar. 19th, 2009 @ 02:35 PM Reply

HELL YES! I am a major military enthusiast, though I don't intend on joining, I just like all the awesome machines, guns, and ships.

Favorite Tank:
M1A1 Abrams

Favorite Plane:
F/A-22 RAPTOR

Favorite class of ship:
Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier

Favorite Gun:
Too many to list, but they're from FutureWeapons

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1
Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Mar. 25th, 2009 @ 03:55 PM Reply

I would like to keep this alive because I think its a good crew... So I suggest people put this crew in the Sig or something to help spread the word about it. I dunno something like that.

I feel there is too much negative military related things on NGs sometimes, and I think this could be a really positive thing.

II II lI

BBS Signature
Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Mar. 25th, 2009 @ 04:05 PM Reply

I was an Army Cadet for 3 and a bit years and I was in the Officer Training Corp for a year and a half. Where do I sign?

The SA-80 suxxorz

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Military Crew Mar. 25th, 2009 @ 04:23 PM Reply

I've done officership selection courses and passed them, and at one point was considering not going to university and just joining up straight away. Eventually I decided to go to university first (which was a good idea), and I almost joined the territorial army last term. Reason I didn't is because the territorial army is nowhere near as well-organised at the regulars, and I found it highly frustrating.

Still considering joining up after I've done my law degree, although my prospects are now a lot wider now that I'm doing a degree, so I'll have to see how I feel when I graduate.

Nevertheless, I'm still highly interested in the military, so I supppose I'd like to join.

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 3/25/09 04:05 PM, BobbaQ wrote: Where do I sign?

No where to sign, just pass the word that this crew exists...

II II lI

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 05:23 PM Reply

At 3/25/09 04:23 PM, NEVR wrote:
Still considering joining up after I've done my law degree, although my prospects are now a lot wider now that I'm doing a degree, so I'll have to see how I feel when I graduate.

Nevertheless, I'm still highly interested in the military, so I supppose I'd like to join.

Where are you from that they have a territorial army? I'm not sure I understand what that is exactly...

You always get more opportunities once you have a degree, and I know a Law degree is much wanted in the military. JAG is pretty big, and I know with the Marines you have three options when you become an officer, air, ground or law.

And you're more than welcome to join the club

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 05:33 PM Reply

I didn't realize that sirtom was the first one to respond in here lol. The army would've done him some good huh.

Ok so far, here's a list of people that are in with their service or interest.

Myself, USMC E-3
ForNoReason, USAF E-5
SlntCobra1, Military enthusiast
BobbaQ, former Army Cadet and OTC
NEVR, thinking of joining

Hopefully we can get some more people to join.

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 05:37 PM Reply

At 4/10/09 05:33 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: I didn't realize that sirtom was the first one to respond in here lol. The army would've done him some good huh.

That is kinda crazy....

Thanks for making the list! Hopefully we can get this crew rolling pretty strong and be able to help some people out or just share war stories lol.

II II lI

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew Apr. 10th, 2009 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 4/10/09 05:37 PM, ForNoReason wrote: That is kinda crazy....

Thanks for making the list! Hopefully we can get this crew rolling pretty strong and be able to help some people out or just share war stories lol.

As long as it doesn't involve something along the lines of: I was in Nam and killed all those fuckers with a knife.

I was in a sandbox and played with sand all day and made sand castles lol