SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-09 15:57:00 Reply

At 10/9/09 01:08 PM, KennyD wrote:
At 10/8/09 11:58 PM, michelinman wrote:
Literally, torture. SERE school is one of several phases that you must complete to move on.

I can attest to that first hand. SERE school is a bitch.

Agreed. Then they go on and say water boarding shouldn't be used as an interrogation technique against terrorists.

I'm pretty sure we do it VOLUNTARILY bitches.

TehreTard
TehreTard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-09 17:00:30 Reply

Thanks for the tips and advice, Spiff and Kenny. I think Scribe will be the only thing I'll ever volunteer for. My friend, who just became a Marine, advised me to buy duct tape to mark all my crap. I can see why now, although I still don't get why you have put everyone's stuff in the middle of the room.

Oh yeah, FINALLY med inspect for MEPS today... EUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUURGH

BBS Signature
AJ
AJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-09 17:03:36 Reply

Meh, it isn't really going to matter if your shit is marked. I've still got stuff that is marked with other peoples names and I've got one ACU top that has my name marked on it. People are gonna grab what they can and move on regardless, because you're going to get like 10 seconds to clean all the shit up. Just do what you can to keep the right number of shit.

KennyD
KennyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-09 18:47:26 Reply

At 10/9/09 05:00 PM, TehreTard wrote: Thanks for the tips and advice, Spiff and Kenny. I think Scribe will be the only thing I'll ever volunteer for. My friend, who just became a Marine, advised me to buy duct tape to mark all my crap. I can see why now, although I still don't get why you have put everyone's stuff in the middle of the room.

Oh yeah, FINALLY med inspect for MEPS today... EUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUURGH

To us it was called a tornado, it seems while your in bootcamp everybody tends to lose thier shit and simple things become ridiculously hard. Basically what happens is that the DI's make you pick up your warbag, empty it at your feet then they come around kicking it all over the place, then they make you pick up your shoes and throw them across deck, you pick up your footlocker and perform rifle drill with it and pretty much everything you own falls out all over the place. Meanwhile recruits are getting IT'd on the quarterdeck, your trying to run from the back of the squadbay to the front in 2 seconds, other DI's form other platoons jump in on the action. Just basically chaos all around and good times.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-09 22:15:12 Reply

At 10/9/09 06:47 PM, KennyD wrote:
To us it was called a tornado, it seems while your in bootcamp everybody tends to lose thier shit and simple things become ridiculously hard. Basically what happens is that the DI's make you pick up your warbag, empty it at your feet then they come around kicking it all over the place, then they make you pick up your shoes and throw them across deck, you pick up your footlocker and perform rifle drill with it and pretty much everything you own falls out all over the place. Meanwhile recruits are getting IT'd on the quarterdeck, your trying to run from the back of the squadbay to the front in 2 seconds, other DI's form other platoons jump in on the action. Just basically chaos all around and good times.

Yea, it's pretty much a staple of Marine Corps boot camp. Whatever you like to call it, and whatever you dump out, it'll happen. We had to empty our seabags, that we had just stuffed to breaking point to head over to Camp Pendleton, in the middle, then everyone runs around it like you run around the squad bay for nightly turnover/inspection. You lose most of your shit. I ended up with a bunch of nasty underwear that wasn't mine, that was the worst part for me ha ha.

Don't use duct tape unless they tell you to. I never even touched duct tape. The only thing you label with is recruit tape. It's basically white medical tape.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-09 23:16:02 Reply

I just use black marker to label my kit. Works well enough.

KennyD
KennyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-10 14:42:02 Reply

Ah, good ol' recruit tape. Sinful Wolf, we did get stamping kits and everything is marked, but when you have 10 seconds to get everything in your footlockers, what belongs to who isn't a big priority. We developed a system at night where everything was returned to his proper owner, especially underwear.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-11 09:41:25 Reply

True enough I suppose. And Underwear is important, cause if you get someone else's that's a size too small... no fun.

KennyD
KennyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-11 17:41:07 Reply

At 10/11/09 09:41 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: True enough I suppose. And Underwear is important, cause if you get someone else's that's a size too small... no fun.

its not size, its just the fact of having someone elses, esp. when they have tire tracks... ugh.

turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-11 19:29:17 Reply

At 10/11/09 05:41 PM, KennyD wrote:
At 10/11/09 09:41 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: True enough I suppose. And Underwear is important, cause if you get someone else's that's a size too small... no fun.
its not size, its just the fact of having someone elses, esp. when they have tire tracks... ugh.

im thinking size could be very important...haha. and what the hell is up with the tire tracks!? i felt bad for the dudes that had to do the laundry...

...i've been here a while...

This is my awesome new sig...Do you like it?

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 00:00:08 Reply

At 10/11/09 07:29 PM, turbosquad wrote:
im thinking size could be very important...haha. and what the hell is up with the tire tracks!? i felt bad for the dudes that had to do the laundry...

Not that hard to do laundry, you keep it in the bag. I made sure I did my own laundry so I could take my clothes out of it and wash it better lol. The advantages of being a scribe that does the fire watch roster.

KennyD
KennyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 00:34:08 Reply

At 10/12/09 12:00 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/11/09 07:29 PM, turbosquad wrote:
Not that hard to do laundry, you keep it in the bag. I made sure I did my own laundry so I could take my clothes out of it and wash it better lol. The advantages of being a scribe that does the fire watch roster.

I got up at night and did my own laundry, I was pretty tight with the scribes, and I always got the first shift, and I did my laundry right after, having dry clothes compared to damp ones made a huge difference in my morale, believe it or not. I do remember one time when BGen. Salinas walked past outside, every recruit inside just about lost thier head, bc noone had any idea what to do

turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 03:44:14 Reply

At 10/12/09 12:34 AM, KennyD wrote: I got up at night and did my own laundry, I was pretty tight with the scribes, and I always got the first shift, and I did my laundry right after, having dry clothes compared to damp ones made a huge difference in my morale, believe it or not. I do remember one time when BGen. Salinas walked past outside, every recruit inside just about lost thier head, bc noone had any idea what to do

our laundry facilities were in a different building and we were only allowed to do laundry at certain times. so we had people that did everyones laundry. all of our clothes had to be tagged with our "laundry mark" (first letter of last name and last 4 of our ssn) and they would just sort everything into piles that way...people still ended up with other peoples shit. i would have traded jobs with those guys though. i was a goddamn element (squad) leader...

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 22:14:49 Reply

What's your guys service number look like? Canadians is like this: E12 345 678

Also, how's the break down of your elements?

KennyD
KennyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 22:52:15 Reply

At 10/12/09 10:14 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: What's your guys service number look like? Canadians is like this: E12 345 678

Also, how's the break down of your elements?

Our service numbers are our Social Security numbers, and I'm not about to hand that info out.

I'm Aviation, so I really don't know how Infantry does it, but I pulled this up from Wikipedia.

In the United States Marine Corps, rifle platoons are led by a Platoon Commander, usually a Second Lieutenant. The billet of Platoon Sergeant is a position intended for a Staff Sergeant but it can be held by a Marine ranking from Corporal to Staff Sergeant. In a Marine regiment, rifle platoons usually consist of three rifle squads of 13 men each, usually led by a Sergeant, with three Navy Corpsman, a Platoon Commander, and a Platoon Sergeant. Each squad is further divided into 3 fireteams. A weapons platoon replaces the 3 squads with a 60mm mortar section, an assault section, and a medium machine gun section. The assault section consists of dual-purpose rockets such as the FGM-172 SRAW.

turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 23:36:01 Reply

At 10/12/09 10:14 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: Also, how's the break down of your elements?

the air force calls them elements, anywhere else its a "squad". we have different names for everything...haha. anyway, im a cop...but we're the air forces equivalent to infantry. we handle all law enforcement, security, and air base defense. our squad breakdowns are generally 3 fire teams consisting of 4-5 members...usually 3 or 4 rifleman and a heavy gunner. one of those rifleman is also a grenadier (usually me...). so each squad is 12-15 members, 3 heavies, 3 or 4 grenadiers...not sure actual infantry does it. infantrys not my thing. gimme my 9, a patrol car, and a ticket book and leave me the fuck alone...haha. i could also talk forever about our security manning breakdowns for protecting air force resources...but thats not gonna happen...

turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-12 23:37:43 Reply

At 10/12/09 11:36 PM, turbosquad wrote:

:...not sure actual infantry does it.

not sure HOW the actual infantry does it

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-13 01:40:08 Reply

At 10/12/09 10:52 PM, KennyD wrote:

Our service numbers are our Social Security numbers, and I'm not about to hand that info out.

Yeah, please don't. So they just use the Social Security number? Hunh, weird.

Well, for the basics of our breakdown, an infantry rifle platoon is lead by a platoon commander. Generally a 2nd Lt, but I went overseas with a captain. The 2IC is a Warrant, but I've seen sergeants. Then there are three sections and a headquarters element. Each section is lead by a sergeant with a Master Corporal 2IC... though of course I've seen Master Corporals or even Corporals be section commanders.

Corporals and Privates fill out the rest of the section. 8 soldiers total for light infantry, 10 for mechanized.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-13 13:17:01 Reply

At 10/13/09 01:40 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
Corporals and Privates fill out the rest of the section. 8 soldiers total for light infantry, 10 for mechanized.

This kind of led me to investigate Canadian Army ranks, cause I was kind of confused when you said Warrant Officers were second in charge, but I see that Warrant Officers are simply the top three ranks on your enlisted side. That's interesting, cause we have a completely different tier for WO. also interesting is that you only have eight enlisted ranks, rather than our nine.

What's the standards for going up in rank? Do you automatically get junior ranks for Time in Grade, what's the process?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-16 09:30:55 Reply

At 10/13/09 01:17 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 10/13/09 01:40 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
This kind of led me to investigate Canadian Army ranks, cause I was kind of confused when you said Warrant Officers were second in charge, but I see that Warrant Officers are simply the top three ranks on your enlisted side. That's interesting, cause we have a completely different tier for WO. also interesting is that you only have eight enlisted ranks, rather than our nine.

What's the standards for going up in rank? Do you automatically get junior ranks for Time in Grade, what's the process?

Corporal is simply time in. Its a hand out rank. Master Corporal you need to have the leadership course, where they go teach you how to instruct by military standards, go over how to do certain forms, lead patrols and sections etc. etc.
Once you get that course and prove yourself you get your Master Corporals. Then there are separate courses for each rank above that.

Also, for the commissioned ranks, I can't remember which one... but there's a certain rank that you need to be able to speak French to get to.

KennyD
KennyD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-16 22:30:34 Reply

I would think that could be a problem in combat, since English and French are both national languages, wouldn't that hurt communications? On my side, orders next week!

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-18 12:17:22 Reply

At 10/16/09 10:30 PM, KennyD wrote: I would think that could be a problem in combat, since English and French are both national languages, wouldn't that hurt communications? On my side, orders next week!

When the French Regiment goes over, there's a fair amount of them that know English. So when they are on the radios with someone who isn't French, they speak English.

vgfa287
vgfa287
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-19 21:03:12 Reply

hey I signed up for the Army last June,but haven't gone to boot yet. its nice to find a club like this in NG of all places.

fallensoul289
fallensoul289
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 09:54:14 Reply

Well thanks to all who have cleared that up for me. I have not talked to a recruiter but during the summer I will. I forgot to check back here and that's why I responded so late. Also from what turbo squad said, I can't see why people would not want to serve there country. I am ready and willing to put my ass on the line even if it means death.

|Add me on XBL| My flash's|Thanks to SupraAddict for the awesome sig!

BBS Signature
fallensoul289
fallensoul289
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 09:58:35 Reply

At 9/25/09 09:04 PM, michelinman wrote: Relax dude, I joined the army and I have ADHD. Be straight up with the recruiter and he'll advise you in the best course of action. If he tells you to not bring it up, it's because it's so minor that it doesn't need to be brought up. The recruiter puts himself on the line with every person he recruits, and if your ADD is enough of a problem to cause your enlistment to be fraudulent, then he's not going to want to put his ass out there to get in trouble any more than you do. If you do your job and having ADD doesn't effect that, then you've got nothing to worry about.

However, since you are on medication for it, I doubt it's going to be something they're going to want to sweep under the carpet, as the military will want to take it upon themselves to prescribe you their medicine and give it to you for free as opposed to you getting it from off post doctors. That form you're thinking of is called a waiver, and you might have to get one since you are on meds. Since it's something minor like ADD though, (are you just on ritalin or something similar?) there really shouldn't be any issues with it, depending on what job you're aiming for. I have plenty of friends in here with me that have ADD and it's a complete and total non-issue and it didn't affect the terms under which they joined. Don't stress it. Just be straight up with your recruiter and you've got nothing to worry about.

Well somethings you cleared up but I myself have done a lot of research on the military. I have heard from people who are in the service and from military websites. If your recruiter tells you to lie then you do not do it. It even says on some military sites to tell there commanding officer because they would not put there ass on the line. If I lied and got caught, they would ask him and he would not say "yeah I told him to lie" because then his ass is in the grinder. They don't mess around when you break there laws and unlike the normal judicial system, theres has fast trials and most are guilty.

BBS Signature
fallensoul289
fallensoul289
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 10:00:12 Reply

Also sorry for the triple post but I forgot another thing. If I lied I might not get caught at first but I heard if you ever need security clearance or anything like that, they check your medical records.

BBS Signature
DizzeeRascal
DizzeeRascal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 11:08:50 Reply

I have National Service next year. Or is this club only for those who volunteer to go and have border disputes with Turks?

he's jus' a rascal...

MlCHAEL
MlCHAEL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 12:31:11 Reply

I'm going to Navy boot camp next month for MM E1. Can I join?

BBS Signature
turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 13:00:48 Reply

At 10/20/09 11:08 AM, DizzeeRascal wrote: I have National Service next year. Or is this club only for those who volunteer to go and have border disputes with Turks?

national service for which country? i know a lot of countries have mandatory military service, but im not sure which ones...and the "border dispute" comment...i dunno where youre going with that, but i dont think there are any Armenians in this club, so the answer is no. this club is not just for people involved in border disputes with the turks...

Also sorry for the triple post but I forgot another thing. If I lied I might not get caught at first but I heard if you ever need security clearance or anything like that, they check your medical records.

thats true, depending on the clearance youre going for, they check your job, education, driving, and medical histories...most of the people that squeeze through the cracks developed the condition (asthma or whatever) later on in life and were never formally treated for it. you dont want to be one of those people. just be truthful and straight-forward, and youll do fine. best of luck to you!

turbosquad
turbosquad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2009-10-20 13:04:13 Reply

At 10/20/09 12:31 PM, MlCHAEL wrote: I'm going to Navy boot camp next month for MM E1. Can I join?

goin up to Great Lakes then? its gonna be chilly! haha, thats why im glad AF boot is in san antonio...except i went through basic in august, so it was hot as hell...what job is MM E1, for us non navy folk?