New Topic Respond to this Topic
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-20 17:56:58 Reply

That's cool. The one I'm staying at is pretty close to the lecture halls and stuff, about 10-20 minutes walk away for most of them, which is pretty good. The actual ANU campus is really close to the main city centre in Canberra, so that's really good if I need to go in to buy something.

Do you guys in other countries have anything like O-Week here, for freshmans and new students?

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC
Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-20 18:41:20 Reply

At 2/20/09 06:38 PM, DgsGaming wrote: I'll join.

I'm currently attending Omardeen's School of Accountancy. As you can probably guess, I'm majoring in Accounting.

So you can do your own taxes and stuff?

and is it hard to be an Accountant?

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
FroFro52
FroFro52
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-20 23:25:35 Reply

At 2/20/09 11:58 AM, Corky52 wrote:

:My girlfriend picked somewhere around 700 though so she doesn't have too much of a chance to get into the dorm that I'm in, but there's still a chance.

Stupid lottery. Oh well, I'll just move all my stuff in with you anyway. :)

reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-21 04:38:48 Reply

At 2/20/09 05:50 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote: So do you guys live on or off-campus? I'm living on campus, at a college called John XXIII. It's been awesome, heaps of cool people.

I lived on campus for the most of my college years. It was nice being able to roll out of bed 15 mins before class. In my senior years I moved off. Your own place is much better than a cramped dorm room.

At 2/20/09 05:56 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Do you guys in other countries have anything like O-Week here, for freshmans and new students?

O as in orientation? My school had something called "Camp Crimson" where the incoming students stayed in the dorms for a week in the summer before classes to help them get acquainted to the college life and to find where everything was at. I never went myself since I transferred but I hear it's helpful.

At 2/20/09 06:38 PM, DgsGaming wrote: I'll join.

Excellent and welcome :)

At 2/20/09 11:25 PM, FroFro52 wrote: Stupid lottery. Oh well, I'll just move all my stuff in with you anyway. :)

At least, Corky won't be late to class ever again. :P

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-21 20:40:45 Reply

At 2/20/09 11:25 PM, FroFro52 wrote:
At 2/20/09 11:58 AM, Corky52 wrote: My girlfriend picked somewhere around 700 though so she doesn't have too much of a chance to get into the dorm that I'm in, but there's still a chance.

Remember to add the space between the quotes. :p

*Will probably mess up in this post now for saying that*

Stupid lottery. Oh well, I'll just move all my stuff in with you anyway. :)

Yeah that's fine with me. Your usually the only thing that keeps me organized enough to get anything done anyway. As long as you promise to clean the room every once in awhile.

At 2/21/09 04:38 AM, reverend wrote:
At least, Corky won't be late to class ever again. :P

Yeah, and I haven't been yet this year. I would have been once, but she woke me up in time to get ready.

On another note, I'll probably be getting some minor surgery on my toes to get the toenails removed and make it so they never grow back again sometime next week because I have a grossly ingrown toenail which is really infected. I can barely walk actually. It's going to feel good to be able to walk/run again without the throbbing pain in my toes and the blood. I might even be in better shape for semi-pro football this year if I don't have to worry about my feet hurting all of the time.

That's if I even have time for that. I might have a job down here in the summer, along with summer classes.

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-21 22:18:06 Reply

At 2/21/09 04:38 AM, reverend wrote: O as in orientation? My school had something called "Camp Crimson" where the incoming students stayed in the dorms for a week in the summer before classes to help them get acquainted to the college life and to find where everything was at. I never went myself since I transferred but I hear it's helpful.

Yeah that's the ticket. It's great, since it's a good way to make a heap of new friends if you've moved from another town (like me), and also to get to know the campus a bit better and stuff. The older students are a great help too, since they can point you in the right direction if you have trouble with something.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-21 22:53:02 Reply

At 2/20/09 05:56 PM, ParadoxVoid wrote: Do you guys in other countries have anything like O-Week here, for freshmans and new students?

In the UK, in pretty much every uni there is a week after you move into halls, just before term starts, which mainly consists of getting absolutely trashed and remembering very little.

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-22 04:58:34 Reply

At 2/21/09 10:53 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: In the UK, in pretty much every uni there is a week after you move into halls, just before term starts, which mainly consists of getting absolutely trashed and remembering very little.

You forgot the distinct black hole residue left in your wallet after that week too... my bank account is gonna be hurting for a while now...

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-23 06:42:50 Reply

So, first day of uni today, this week all except one of my units have no tutorials. Much fun was had regardless in the sense of talking to a few people in my course.

Except the lectures were boring. I need to be doing something for me to be interested in it.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-23 07:16:21 Reply

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were pretty lame for me as I was working most of the week. I had an 8 page assinment, 3 page assingment, and around 3 other assiments that I had to get done. I finally managed to get them all done, but with very minimal studying for the exam that I have today and the one that I have tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have much to do tonight so I can study for the one tomorrow.

Starting next Monday I have Spring Break so I won't be around here until night time before I go to bed since I have dial up at home. I'll also have student teaching three days of spring break. I still have to think of a lesson to teach them, but I should have that lesson figured out today or tomorrow depending on how soon the teacher I'm working with answers me.

Sometime this week I still need to head over to the hospital so I can get my toes taken care of. I can't wait until that's done.

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-25 01:06:17 Reply

Haven't updated in awhile, but I need a place to vent and this seems to be appropriate so...

Got rejected from 3 interviews, probably because I was nervous and didn't come across as a strong candidate. I have two more interviews tomorrow and I've refined my strategy so I hope that works out.

I found out today that I have a midterm next Tuesday for my easiest class. I'm not worried too much. Also found out that I have a 12 page paper due in 9 days. I should have found out about this earlier but my teacher had an emergency for the last lecture, so they didn't show up and didn't give us any heads up that this essay was drawing nearer.

I also have a test next Friday which is the same day as my schools unofficial St. Patricks day, meaning that while everyone else is out getting drunk and having fun, I'm going to be studying/taking a test and won't be able to join in until later in the evening.

Just a lot on my plate all at once. It felt good to get that out.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-25 04:51:51 Reply

At 2/25/09 01:06 AM, 36Holla wrote: Haven't updated in awhile, but I need a place to vent and this seems to be appropriate so...

Got rejected from 3 interviews, probably because I was nervous and didn't come across as a strong candidate. I have two more interviews tomorrow and I've refined my strategy so I hope that works out.

Just keep at it and practice. Remember you are selling them your skill, labor, and time. Brag a little bit.

I remember my last interview, I bragged about my work and my leadership skill and I got the job. Don't sound cocky but show them that you can be dependable.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-25 19:01:03 Reply

i feel like such a retard right now guys, Tuesday I took a test on 14th Century Spanish Literature in Euro. Lit. class, and i failed it, i got my grade back today and i got a 64%, a whole 1% away from passing it, i feel so stupid right now, just because i was hoping not to fail a test at all this year, and i only made it until February 23rd.

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-25 21:04:34 Reply

At 2/25/09 07:01 PM, JKMonkey wrote: i feel like such a retard right now guys

Don't be so hard on yourself dude. Unless it means you failed the whole unit/subject sort of thing.

Also, assignments, i have about 2 already. Your thoughts on when/how to attack it?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-25 22:02:48 Reply

At 2/25/09 07:01 PM, JKMonkey wrote: i feel like such a retard right now guys, Tuesday I took a test on 14th Century Spanish Literature in Euro. Lit. class, and i failed it, i got my grade back today and i got a 64%, a whole 1% away from passing it, i feel so stupid right now, just because i was hoping not to fail a test at all this year, and i only made it until February 23rd.

There's still a lot of time to make it up. There's always one of those tests or even more that you don't do a good job on.

At 2/25/09 09:04 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote:
Also, assignments, i have about 2 already. Your thoughts on when/how to attack it?

Get them done soon. That means the more time that you have later on and just in case you forget to do something else your not booked down with other assignments to do.

I only have one class tomorrow and that's an exam so I'm going to spend the rest of the night looking over my notes. Friday I don't have any classes so I'll probably sleep in and everything. I'm going home Friday night for Spring Break.

I can't believe how much work I have to do over Spring Break, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I have to student teach for 3 full days, which won't be a problem at all. I'll have to write up a paper about that and everything. I also have a research paper to do, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem either. That should take about 4 days out of my break.

I also have to help my girlfriends sister in math because she is home schooled, and I have another project in my Reading Class where I have to work with a student and figure out their reading styles.

So as you can see I have a pretty busy Spring Break, but I'm deciding to do it now so I don't have to do it at the end of the semester.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-26 15:45:09 Reply

At 2/25/09 09:04 PM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote:
At 2/25/09 07:01 PM, JKMonkey wrote: i feel like such a retard right now guys
Don't be so hard on yourself dude. Unless it means you failed the whole unit/subject sort of thing.

nah, it was just the test, there should be two more tests and an exam before were half way through the semester

i would go for it in one swing, just do it all at once and get it over with

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-27 05:08:53 Reply

At 2/23/09 06:42 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, first day of uni today, this week all except one of my units have no tutorials. Much fun was had regardless in the sense of talking to a few people in my course.

Except the lectures were boring. I need to be doing something for me to be interested in it.

What Uni do you to? And what course are you studying?

I started serious on Monday too, had all four of my subject lectures that day too. What a way to welcome me to University life, eh?

My subjects don't seem too bad, though I can already tell that Maths is gonna be a major pain in the arse.

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-27 10:13:35 Reply

At 2/27/09 05:08 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote:
At 2/23/09 06:42 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: So, first day of uni today, this week all except one of my units have no tutorials. Much fun was had regardless in the sense of talking to a few people in my course.

What Uni do you to? And what course are you studying?

University of Western Sydney, Blacktown campus. Studying Bachelor of Business and Commerce, majoring in Property. Yourself?

I started serious on Monday too, had all four of my subject lectures that day too. What a way to welcome me to University life, eh?

Ah, pain in the ass there, timetable wise to. All my lectures/tutorials are on the same day. So i only have to go 3 days a week.

My subjects don't seem too bad, though I can already tell that Maths is gonna be a major pain in the arse.

Mine aren't all that bad either, they're actually interesting enough (the ones i thought would be boring).

Pixmintro
Pixmintro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-28 16:50:56 Reply

Hey guys, I just got accepted into Edinboro University today! I'm going to major in Animation!

Edinboro, PA near Erie.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-28 19:08:46 Reply

At 2/28/09 04:50 PM, ixintro wrote: Hey guys, I just got accepted into Edinboro University today! I'm going to major in Animation!

Edinboro, PA near Erie.

congrats dude!

i always wanted to major in Animation, to bad my drawing skills suck

BBS Signature
Pixmintro
Pixmintro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-28 19:16:46 Reply

At 2/28/09 07:08 PM, JKMonkey wrote:
congrats dude!

i always wanted to major in Animation, to bad my drawing skills suck

Thanks, they're the only school I applied to and the Dean wrote me a personalized letter about how glad they are to have me, after viewing several of my movies.

Also, my parents had the INSANE idea of moving TO Edinboro and hving me live with them... This went on for a month but I finally told them off... Suddenly, they're letting me do whatever I want, the leash has been loosened!

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-02-28 19:39:20 Reply

At 2/27/09 10:13 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: University of Western Sydney, Blacktown campus. Studying Bachelor of Business and Commerce, majoring in Property. Yourself?

Nice. I'm at Australian National University, doing a Bachelor of Software Engineering.

Ah, pain in the ass there, timetable wise to. All my lectures/tutorials are on the same day. So i only have to go 3 days a week.

Yeah, I suppose that's both a blessing and curse? At least you get a bit of a break, but those three days of Uni will be hectic. I start my Tutorials and Practicals this week, so I guess I'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that they'll help me understand some of the material in lectures a bit better, since they seem to go through stuff so fast in lectures. My timetable is pretty full, 9-5 most days. I've given myself as much of Friday off as I could though, so I guess that's part of the reason why my other days are so full.

Mine aren't all that bad either, they're actually interesting enough (the ones i thought would be boring).

I know what you mean. So far I thought Engineering would be extremely boring, but it's actually not too bad.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-01 23:47:46 Reply

At 2/28/09 04:50 PM, ixintro wrote: Hey guys, I just got accepted into Edinboro University today! I'm going to major in Animation!

Edinboro, PA near Erie.

Awesome man. I have quite a few friends that go there. We'll have to meet up at a Lock Haven/Edinboro football, basketball, etc... game sometime. I know that Edinoboro played here last year in football so that would mean that I would have to go there next year. That's a big no. >.<

I'm not going to follow a football team around that goes 0-10 every year. Now perhaps if they won a few games now and then I might.

Anyway, when your a famous animator don't forget about me. If you need a writer for an animation I might say that I'm not too shabby at writing for movies. ;)

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-02 00:42:57 Reply

At 3/1/09 11:47 PM, Corky52 wrote:

OMG Corky52 is writing from beyond the graaaaaaave!

=P

Edinboro, PA near Erie.

But seriously, well done man, hope you do well!

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-02 08:40:41 Reply

YES! My college canceled classes today, and my work closed too, so i finally have a "Snow Day!"

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-08 09:55:50 Reply

At 3/2/09 12:42 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote:
At 3/1/09 11:47 PM, Corky52 wrote:
OMG Corky52 is writing from beyond the graaaaaaave!
=P

Yet no reaction when I posted elsewhere in this club after that mishap?

At 3/2/09 08:40 AM, JKMonkey wrote: YES! My college canceled classes today, and my work closed too, so i finally have a "Snow Day!"

It actually got up to 67 degrees yesterday where I live. I couldn't get to enjoy it though because whenever the weather changes I get a cold. Whether it be going from cold to warm or vice versa. Hopefully it's mostly gone by tomorrow because I really hate sitting in class with a cold.

That and I've really been working out great and I would hate to have to slow down anytime this week in lifting. I'm almost getting myself back to my old bench weights. Tuesday I benched 225 pounds 14 times even though my best last year was 16 times.

I've really let myself go since then though. So hopefully I feel better by Monday for class and even better by Tuesday so I can lift.

Friday I'm getting both of my big toenails removed finally. I might be able to finally run now like I use to be able to.

BBS Signature
ParadoxVoid
ParadoxVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-08 11:49:02 Reply

At 3/8/09 09:55 AM, Corky52 wrote: Yet no reaction when I posted elsewhere in this club after that mishap?

Didn't you know? Apparently dead people regularly post here from beyond the veil!

At 3/2/09 08:40 AM, JKMonkey wrote: YES! My college canceled classes today, and my work closed too, so i finally have a "Snow Day!"

:( The closest thing I've got is Canberra Day, which is tomorrow... or actually today. It's 2:48 am in the morning, and I really should go to bed... Anyway, I love my long weekends.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-08 12:27:03 Reply

At 3/8/09 11:49 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote: ( The closest thing I've got is Canberra Day, which is tomorrow... or actually today. It's 2:48 am in the morning, and I really should go to bed... Anyway, I love my long weekends.

lucky, here in the US we have no federal holidays this March

my next holiday is Easter come mid-April

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-10 06:54:18 Reply

At 3/8/09 11:49 AM, ParadoxVoid wrote:
At 3/8/09 09:55 AM, Corky52 wrote: Yet no reaction when I posted elsewhere in this club after that mishap?
Didn't you know? Apparently dead people regularly post here from beyond the veil!

Well that means there has been more talk of dead people here in this thread than in my Ghost/Supernatural Club. :p

I just discovered that there was actually one made before me, but it had been inactive for a year or more. Oh well, mine is the semi-active one now.

( The closest thing I've got is Canberra Day, which is tomorrow... or actually today. It's 2:48 am in the morning, and I really should go to bed... Anyway, I love my long weekends.

Hm, only one snow day here for me and it really wasn't a complete snow day. I still had two classes, but three of them were canceled by the teachers. Last year I remember somewhere around 5 snow days, but looks like none of that is going to happen this year.

At 3/8/09 12:27 PM, JKMonkey wrote:
lucky, here in the US we have no federal holidays this March

my next holiday is Easter come mid-April

We don't have Easter off this semester where I go to college. That is kind of upsetting, but oh well. We use to get a week and a half off. My one teachers was quite upset about not having Good Friday off and gave us a speech about how if we were Muslims we would settle the situation with bombs... I couldn't believe he did that right in class at first, but when I thought about it I've had teachers say things that were a hell of a lot worse than that.

BBS Signature
JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2009-03-13 19:47:00 Reply

At 3/10/09 06:54 AM, Corky52 wrote:
We don't have Easter off this semester where I go to college. That is kind of upsetting, but oh well. We use to get a week and a half off. My one teachers was quite upset about not having Good Friday off and gave us a speech about how if we were Muslims we would settle the situation with bombs... I couldn't believe he did that right in class at first, but when I thought about it I've had teachers say things that were a hell of a lot worse than that.

really? Thats odd, my college lets us get off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and 4th pf July (for Summer classes)

BBS Signature