00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Grh96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

College Life Club

103,510 Views | 1,047 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-21 11:21:06

At 9/20/09 12:00 AM, Fro wrote:
Also, with regards to you being 200 pounds and sub 10% body fat: Are you like eight feet tall?
Body builder and I'm only 6 foot.

So you're like... spherical?

Also I'm still a bit baffled by this 15 hour/week limit. Does your college have accredited engineering programs (i.e. ones that will allow a person to earn a P.E. after graduation)? I really have a hard time seeing how that could be packed into fifteen hours a week.

Dead.

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-21 11:46:38

At 9/20/09 09:00 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: Typing from High Point University with a planned major in game design

I originally planned on doing a similar course, but I ended up doing Computer Science (Software Engineering). In my later years we have the option to do some computer game based modules which I think I'll almost definitely be doing.

Anyway, good luck with it. Really sounds like an interesting course.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-23 00:07:03

Got a great timetable this year, last year had three 9AMs rather than 2, and around 5-6 hours more per week.

Fridays :D :D :D

College Life Club

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-23 00:29:28

At 9/23/09 12:07 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Got a great timetable this year, last year had three 9AMs rather than 2, and around 5-6 hours more per week.

That's pretty nice BBM. Right now I'm taking 4 classes, which meet a total of 10 times throughout the week. My earliest class is 9:25, which is twice a week, and I also have friday's off. It's pretty awesome to have Friday's off eh? You can go drinking on three days a week that way.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-23 03:38:37

At 9/23/09 12:07 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Got a great timetable this year,

My timetable is pretty good as well. The Department of Computer Science doesn't appear to like starting before 10:15am unless I just got lucky this semester with no 9:15am starts. I liked my timetable as it came, but it wasn't long before we were told that we didn't have to attend all the classes shown as there were two of some spread throughout the week and we are only expected to attend one. That cut six hours off my week.

Mondays I don't start until 1:15 and Thursdays I don't start until 2:15! On Fridays I have a lab session from 10:15-12:15 and then my day is over. I hope it stays much like this through the entire 4 years.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-24 00:37:25

At 9/23/09 12:07 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Got a great timetable this year, last year had three 9AMs rather than 2, and around 5-6 hours more per week.

Huh, turns out my 2pm wednesday has been moved to 2pm friday because some people doing different modules to me had 5 hours straight of lectures.

fuck them.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-24 09:09:03

I have no days off.

Fuck music and fuck you guys.

<3

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-24 12:21:01

Today was totally worth it. A 2 hour lab session from 2:15 - 4:15 and I finished my programming stuff in no time. Took ages before someone would come and mark what I'd done. Scored 10 points toward my final grade, which was full marks. xD

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-24 12:42:24

At 9/21/09 11:21 AM, Elfer wrote:
Also I'm still a bit baffled by this 15 hour/week limit. Does your college have accredited engineering programs (i.e. ones that will allow a person to earn a P.E. after graduation)? I really have a hard time seeing how that could be packed into fifteen hours a week.

Ok, this is what the Engineering program looks like where I go.

This is a five-year, dual-degree program, including three years of pre-engineering courses at LHU and two years at another school to complete an engineering degree there. LHU presently has cooperative engineering agreements with the main campus and the Behrend campus of the Pennsylvania State University. Alternatively, students may choose to transfer to any other school which has engineering programs. In any case, upon completion of the engineering degree at another school as well as the LHU pre-engineering requirements, LHU will award the student either a Bachelor of Arts in Natural Science/Physics or a Bachelor of Science in Physics/Pre-Engineering.

Lock Haven University requirements for BA Natural Science/Physics program

A.
General Education (51 sh total)

WELLNESS 3 sh
BASIC SKILLS
English Composition (ENGL100) 3 sh
Mathematics 3 sh
Speech (SPCH102) 3 sh
HUMANITIES
Art/Music/Theatre (It is recommended that both courses be taken in a single discipline to meet PSU sequencing requirements. Engineering accrediting requirements demand that "craft" based courses must include theory or history.)
6 sh
Literature 3 sh
Philosophy 3 sh
SOCIAL & BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
World History 3 sh
Economics (ECON101) 3 sh
Psychology 3 sh
Sociology/Anthropology 3 sh
NATURAL SCIENCES 6 sh
FOREIGN LANGUAGE 6 sh
LIBERAL ARTS SEMINAR 3 sh

Additional Requirements
Multicultural - 2 courses
Writing Emphasis - 1 course
Information Literacy - 1 course
External Experience - 1 unit
B.
Area Requirements (29 sh)

COMP160 Programming I
3 sh

CHEM120, 121 Principles of Chemistry I & II
8 sh

MATH141 Calculus 1 3 sh
MATH142 Calculus 2 3 sh
MATH243 Calculus 3 3 sh
MATH244 Calculus 4 3 sh
MATH211 Linear Methods 3 sh
MATH301 Differential Equations 3 sh
C.
Core Requirements (25 total)

PHYS105 Engineering Graphics
2 sh

PHYS170, 171 Intermediate General Physics I & II
8 sh

PHYS250 Heat 3 sh

PHYS315 Atomic and Nuclear Physics
4 sh

PHYS330, 331 Mechanics I & II
6 sh

PHYS345 Methods of Physics

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-24 22:34:21

Looking at my first term timetable. Pretty packed.

Monday:
9:15-10:15 - Physics of Matter
10:15-11:00 - Mathematics 1
12:15-17:15 - Experimental Laboratory 1

Tuesday:
10:15-11:15 - Physics of Matter
11:15-12:00 - Mathematics 1
14:15-15:15 - Newtonian Mechanics

Wednesday:
10:15-11:00 - Mathematics 1
12:15-13:15 - Mathematics 1 Practical Group 1

Thursday:
9:15-10:15 - Newtonian Mechanics

Friday:
10:15-11:15 - Mathematics 1 Practical Group 2
11:15-12:15 - Newtonian Mechanics

Also have several "Professional Skills" classes, most of which are one off things in either week 1 or week 2, although one of them, "Introduction to Computer Applications" lasts 4 weeks.

Maths should be a breeze for the first term, since it's all stuff from the Further Maths A-Level to get people who didn't do it up to speed.

Not sure where my elective modules will fit in either, since you don't even have to choose them until you get there.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-24 22:48:56

At 9/24/09 12:42 PM, Fro wrote: Ok, this is what the Engineering program looks like where I go.

What is a sh?

Also, as I asked before, is this an accredited program? Are graduates eligible to become Professional Engineers afterward?

Dead.

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-25 00:52:21

Timetables, hm?

Monday:
9:00-9:50 - Biology
11:00-11:50 - Game Study (I'll likely go in depth for this later)
1:00-1:50 - Calculus
4:00-5:15 - English 101

Tuesday:
12:30-2:30 - Biology Lab
3:30-4:45 - Western Civilization

Wednesday:
11:00-11:50 - Game Study
4:00-5:15 - English 101

Thursday:
11:00-12:15 - Experiential learning (school president talks about life values)
3:30-4:45 - Western Civilization

Friday:
11:00-11:50 - Game Study

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-25 09:15:38

At 9/24/09 10:48 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 9/24/09 12:42 PM, Fro wrote: Ok, this is what the Engineering program looks like where I go.
What is a sh?

An hour. So basically just a credit.

Also, as I asked before, is this an accredited program? Are graduates eligible to become Professional Engineers afterward?

I have no clue. You can look at it here on our website. I know nothing of the program so I wouldn't know. I just know to become an elementary education teacher such as myself it's 4 years, about 15 credits a semester and you're done.

http://www.lhup.edu/academic/acad_affair s/engineeringreq.htm

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-25 09:49:01

At 9/25/09 09:15 AM, Fro wrote: An hour. So basically just a credit.

After looking at this stuff, assuming your year is divided into two terms and not three, it's impossible to get these hours in three years without going well over 15/week

Dead.

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-25 11:24:15

At 9/25/09 09:49 AM, Elfer wrote:
After looking at this stuff, assuming your year is divided into two terms and not three, it's impossible to get these hours in three years without going well over 15/week

Just reading a couple of sentences into the first paragraph of that program it says that it's a 5 year program. I don't think I've ever seen a three year program here at the college even though I'm sure there are some.

And yes a year is divided into two terms. That would mean 120 credits in four years, but in most programs they have a block term where they have like 18 to 20 credits in their last semester.

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-25 11:31:28

At 9/25/09 11:24 AM, Fro wrote:
At 9/25/09 09:49 AM, Elfer wrote:
Just reading a couple of sentences into the first paragraph of that program it says that it's a 5 year program. I don't think I've ever seen a three year program here at the college even though I'm sure there are some.

The program is only three years here at Lock Haven, then you have to finish at a different school only taking two more years.

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-30 16:20:21

Already almost at the end of my third week in to the course. I feel that I've learnt a lot of new things so far, and there will be a lot more still to come.

I currently have a few projects/assignments that I have to complete. The first being a 30 second Flash animation that I have already completed above the standard that was asked of us. Second, I have to design a pet within Second Life and script it so that it has pet like qualities. Thirdly, I have to write a short report (only around 500 words) on "Soft Computing" and I have no idea what the hell that is. Wikipedia's article on the subject doesn't look like it reaches 500 words! Struggling to find websites with more information on it as well.

University really was a great decision. Just a shame I'm still not 18, and won't be until January :(

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-30 20:44:37

I got my exam grade back from my first Economics exam. I got an 88% on it so I'm pretty happy with the grade. My highest grade (when I had the class the first time when I failed) last semester was a 60%. O.o

He said the average on the exam was around a 60% also. I'd have to say thank you to reverend for reviewing my homework each week and telling me what I was doing right/wrong.

Response to College Life Club 2009-09-30 23:36:58

Ho, now my college just got better.
Arcade recently set up and finished in one of the larger areas, and it's probably going to be where I'll be frequenting throughout the school year.

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-01 05:19:52

At 9/30/09 11:36 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: Ho, now my college just got better.
Arcade recently set up and finished in one of the larger areas,

Sounds nice. I can predict that many people will end up losing a lot of their money there. Assuming you have to pay of course, which I imagine you will?

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-01 19:25:22

At 10/1/09 05:19 AM, GodsBitch wrote: Sounds nice. I can predict that many people will end up losing a lot of their money there. Assuming you have to pay of course, which I imagine you will?

Surprisingly, no.
You can even rent Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 controllers and a game to play.

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-02 03:39:45

At 10/1/09 07:25 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: Surprisingly, no.
You can even rent Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 controllers and a game to play.

Nice. I'm sure I'd spend a good few hours in a facility like that should we have one here. I don't get to game much at all. I left my Xbox 360 at home and now only get to play it on the weekends. A couple of days ago a few of the guys set up a Unreal Tournament LAN in one of the computer labs. That's the only real gaming time I've had at uni. I do occasionally get to play TF2 on one of my friends desktops, which is always fun.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-08 12:10:55

I've had a few exams lately, but nothing that was really too hard. As of now my grades would go as the following.

Three A's and two A-'s.

Other than grades I do have to do some observation hours in a special education classroom for the first time ever so that will be interesting to see how that goes.

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-10 09:20:42

I leave for York tomorrow.

Packing is WAY harder than I anticipated. I lack boxes.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-10 17:24:23

Hey just scrollin the forums and found u guys, and would like to step in.
I'm at GMU in Systems Engineering.

I'm taking a programming intro class this year and we're learning python. Yet our Prof says the only reason we don't use java or and of the C's is because evryone failed at those (and from what I hear ppl still fail at python as well).
Anyway he holds quite the negative view of python. Can anyone tell me what makes it so bad compared to other languages?

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-10 21:50:18

At 10/10/09 09:20 AM, TheMaster wrote: I leave for York tomorrow.

wtf?

I've already had two weeks of lectures, plus freshers week.

You crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2009-10-25 15:26:26

Impressions after freshers week and one week of lectures:

All but astrophysics lectures are boring. All revision from A-level. Hopefully they'll get better when we get into new stuff.

Astrophysics teacher is amazing. Uses the Galaxy Song from Monty Python to help memorise figures you need to remember.

A 40 minute walk feels a lot longer when carrying a bag of potatoes.

My room smells of stagnant water since the drain in the shower is hopeless.

I've been here a fortnight and know the name of only one of my 7 flatmates, and I don't think I've even seen 3 of them.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2010-01-09 17:34:01

Well, second semester of my first year starts on Monday. I'm rather looking forward to it. I'll be back on campus five days a week and I'll get to see all my uni mates again. I'm looking forward to the new change of timetable as well. I have no classes before 12, so that means no early mornings for me this semester.

This semesters modules are Introduction To Database Systems, Introduction To Computer Systems, Software Development 2 and Discreet Maths. It will be interesting getting to know some different members of staff as well as being lectured by some familiar faces.

Another nice welcome back present that I'm quite excited about is the tripled internet speed that has been put into our rooms. At least this was what we were told before the Christmas break, so I hope this has actually been implemented. Getting speeds of 89Kbs was just horrid, so the increase will be well taken.

I also turn 18 next Sunday (17th of January) and this means I'm able to buy alcohol, something that I've never been able to do on campus. I think I'll be frequenting the Student Union more often, although this will result in me having to spend more money then I normally do during the week.

So, I've said what I came here to say. Just a quick update on what's going on with me. Hopefully some more people will start posting in this thread again. I never even noticed that it's gone unposted in for 2-3 months.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2010-01-11 18:23:34

2nd semester started! 5 hours of networking in one day. FFFUUUUUUUUUU
The rest of my week is great though. :D

Response to College Life Club 2010-01-11 18:40:52

So far, I've only really experienced Community College life. And there's not really any difference between it and High School except the price for going to school. Im 21 and am going to graduate soon, maybe going to ASU. And from what I've seen of the culture, people, and faculty, I really like it.

And the dorms. I want a dorm for just ONE semester. Because I don't want to pay off three more years for the rest of my life. Just to experience it.. but by the time I get there.. I might be 23. Would I be out of place you guys think? Haha

Joined together wrote our names upon the page

Seven times alliance our loyalty we gave

Sworn to be united not divided for the King

BBS Signature