Reviews for "It Came From Outer Space"

You had me with the title. I'm a b-movie fanatic. Invisible Invaders, Them!, Man from Planet X; hell, I could go on and on. So that's already 3 stars from me. Form and theme are always important. This game was definitely my bag of chips.
After you get the controls down, they're rather convenient. Before you get them down, however, they are a royal pain in the ass; but as I said before, get them down after a few deaths or whatever it takes and the controls actually coincide very well with gameplay. Awesome game, dude!

A little tuff but once you get good controls set it becomes a great game just overall. I especially love the look, reminds me of Spider Velociraptor (a space invaders-esque mobile game). The film theme of it also something fresh, which is better then the straight forward "you're a soldier and ummm... the enemy 's or some shit.. just shoot shit". Overall this deserves a better rating, though I understand the hate towards the controls (in which i recommend using w-jump a,d-left and right h-fire u,j aiming k crouch roll or whatever it really is). So to this have 5 stars!

I got hooked the minute I start playing, very well done!

I didn't have time to write reviews yesterday but now that I've played again, I gotta ask, is it just me or did you temper with the volume of the sfx's in the 1.1a update? I swear it was more audible back then; now it all feels too quite, especially there's no sfx when I fire. And it seems the overall pace is slower...

I know having to shoot every single one bullet adds to the challenge, but I'm not a Winner so it's a torture to my finger at times. (my PC being my main portal for games, I've grown accustomed to keyboards so as a Winner my performance do straight down)
It is a design choice I suppose. A press-hold auto or always auto fire kind of take away the challenge. (Yep this is just a feed back, don't take this as a suggestion)

Is aim down really needed? I can't remember any time I actually used it. You need to be constantly moving, the stage is constantly moving, so the chance where you can stand on a higher ground to shoot down is rather rare. Only thing I can think of is additional power-ups hidden on the ground or special use in a full length game. (like jetpack power up or upward-weak-spot-bosses)

Lastly some cosmetics. I think a Back/Retry in the total score screen can be handy, saves you having to go to the menu again. And shouldn't there be a "Esc to quit" in the Oscars/BoxOffice/Credit menu? I've looked around and can't see any thing that says Esc.

Oh wait a minute, the Oscars are actually perks?!
Hm maybe you should say something about it, because I just thought they're achievements. I would probably never know hadn't I tried to randomly jam the keyboard at the time I was typing the previous paragraph.

To sum up, there're some rough edges but the game shines with potential.
Only thing better than this is a full length game!

RaveRadbury responds:

Glad to hear you enjoy the game!

The SFX haven't been changed, but I would like to investigate these discrepancies further. Pm'd.

An auto-fire feature has been added in for keyboard controls. Enjoy!

Aim down isn't necessarily needed, but it's there for completeness' sake.

I've sped up the tally screen and added some menu controls to the main screen. I might do a "play again" shortcut at the tally screen, but I'm a little wiped out from 1.2 at the moment.

The Oscars are fun little bonus game-modifiers. I've used the medal system to encourage their discovery.

Thanks for your feedback!

The controls are frustrating and it only grows more so when I attempt to rebind them.

RaveRadbury responds:

I know right? This is why Winners Use Gamepads.

Good:
- Graphics, Sounds, Polished, Funny theme
Bad:
- Controls, No tutorial

You should show the basic control keys the first time you play
you can change the control keys but you have to play with the weird default controls to know which keys you want to use