Reviews for "It Came From Outer Space"

did you really penalize me for not playing with a gamepad???
the controls on keyboard are so bad

RaveRadbury responds:

Sorry! The game was designed for gamepad use, and we had a very difficult time finding a layout that worked. Obviously, the one we went for didn't work for you. Use the "Change Controls" option to change the keyboard layout.

A game based in a theater scene? Not a bad idea at all :)

Well, this game have a incredible pixel art, so you definitely got a extra point from me, hah. The gameplay is a bit confusing at the fist time, I mean, there's lazers, bullets and explosions, so I got confused and I didn't know where to look. This game is really challenger, I mean, I need to pay attention in almost everything. I need to watch my steps(because there's mines on the ground), and also watch THE DAMN LAZERS THAT COMES FROM EVERYWHERE!!!
I also loved the soundtrack. Is the old and good cinematic music that you found in action scenes on movies.

I just would like to talk about some screens. I mean, I got stuck in the "oscars" and "credits" screen. Where I should press to get back to the menu? I needed to reload the page :L Maybe I have not seen anything about this issue, but if not, please fix it. It is very annoying having to reload the entire page.

... bla bla bla... nice job :3

RaveRadbury responds:

The Escape key takes you out of menus. Sorry for the confusion!

Great game, gives me a Retro vibe! i like how you can Hold Jump to set how far you want to jump, the artwork and Graphics are eye freshening.
Three problems that i would like to be seen changed/Fixed
-The Crouch Sprite of the player needs improvement, or is it supposed to be like that?
-The score board at the end, after playing a few times, i would like to be able to skip it? and just give me the final score instead of watching it increase overtime, if you know what i mean.
-The Playing Area where the player can Move around, if you expand it back to the left a bit, it would be great!

Never beat the red tank yet, and the powerups are great! :D

tl;dr
-Crouching sprite needs some looking into
-Wider Playing area
-Ability to skip Score board at each play through

RaveRadbury responds:

-The crouching sprite is meant to be humorous
-I'm not sure that much can be done about this without seriously affecting desired gameplay, but I'll look into it.
-I'll see about putting this in the next update

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

First and foremost, the controls with the XBOX controller are AWESOME! This is by far the best game I played on Newgrounds in the past decade (and that's not to say I have not played many great games; Meatboy being a close second). I may go as far as saying it's on par with Vlambeer's Super Crate Box. The challenge is exactly right, the graphics bring back memories from 25 years ago when I played SMS in the good sense, beautifuly pixelated. The music works to boost the game's greatness. It made me want to shell out some cold hard cash and buy it (which I wouldn't do for any game on the "hot water" site).

Some room for improvement exists:

**Spoiler**
Once I finally made it to the yellow robot after playing about a hundred rounds and got 60+ million $ I was slightly disappointed for two reasons.. 1. It currently seems like the golden robot is completely unbeatable and very much overpowered. Perhaps beyond NES hardness, then again perhaps not. ;) I also found out that I could change the "settings" and start from the golden robot?! and with the golden gun to boot? What is the point in that?! The game is score based so shouldn't it play the same for everyone, otherwise how are we gonna brag?
The attraction was that it could be played like an oldskul arcade where you play over and over to improve the score but if you can just start over with the overpowered gun during the last boss.. I don't know

tl;dr
1. Balance the difficulty of the last robot.
2. Perhaps adjust the HP of the second red boss.
3. Allow air-jump without cheats?
4. Remove the other cheats.. Make them require a code (Don't give highscore to cheaters).
5. Make a paid version with online score.

RaveRadbury responds:

Holy crap! We didn't expect anyone to break $50,000,000 so quickly!! CONGRATULATE, YOU ARE GREAT GAME PLAYER!

Good catch re: the Oscars being super-broken. They are fun game modes, and are not meant to be used to enhance score. Any Oscar that unfairly increases score does not save to the scoreboard at the end of the round. We definitely don't give highscores to cheaters.

As for the Gold difficulty, yeah, it really could use more balancing. That was a challenge I tossed in because Hainsaw kept complaining that the game kept getting too easy for him.

In response to your tl;dr

1. Yes

2. It's a score cap, are you saying that we should raise or lower it?

3. Like a single double jump? Best actor is infini-jump

4. Oscars are unlocked through score achievement, maybe we should increase the unlock requirements?

5a. I could set up an online scoreboard if someone helps me integrate the NG api with my game or if someone can help me host the scoreboard data somewhere. We would do this for free.

5b. On the idea of a paid version, we are open to the idea of expanding this game into several levels/scenes with the same arcade design, but with different play mechanics, bosses, and content. Whether or not we do is going to be based on the reviews and feedback of players like you!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, if you would like to discuss anything more with me please do not hesitate to send me a PM. Thanks again!

I ALMOST gave up because there were no controls. The title screen said to press "A", but "A" didn't actually do anything. After mashing at my keyboard for a while, it finally turned out that I had to press SPACE! WTF? After that, I had no idea what the controls were, so after dying a couple of times I finally pressed Backspace on the menu screen, like the submission information said. (Remember, the player SHOULD be able to play your game with everything IN the game; if they have to resort to reading the submission information, you already know you've done something wrong.)

Anyway, once I FINALLY was able to define my keys (oh, not anything as simple as seeing a LIST of keys, I had to go through and DEFINE them, EACH ONE of them) then I got to play. And...it was kinda fun. Still really didn't have anything in the way of instructions, but it was vaguely clear what I had to do. I still can't find the health meter, though, so I have no idea how many times I can get hit before game over.

RaveRadbury responds:

So sorry to hear that you had so much trouble!

The default message is Press Space, the game defaults to Press A if your browser detects a controller.

Controls and objectives are clearly listed in the Director's Note. We've had a lot of complaints about the control scheme, which is why we've stopped pushing the default controls. By the way, you press backspace in the change controls option, not in the main menu.

I'll put the default controls in the Author's Note for right now, but in the future I will make changes so that other players do not have to experience the confusion and frustration that you did.

The health meter is the stage lights! We wanted the meter to be something you didn't have to constantly keep an eye on, which is why the screen gets darker as your health gets lower.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.