00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

steveoir just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,852 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Great idea 2003-11-25 16:36:57

LIMP!!! Why must you show off your Britain-ish so much? lol, No one posted that they're dropping, so I think people should start fronting up some work.

Limp and MrRombie, how are we on the boards? mine's nearing completion.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-25 17:04:24

At 11/24/03 07:52 PM, griffenmaster wrote: Actually... Ur completly wrong.

1. No one ever assigned X/X-1 + X-1/X equals 2.

2. Am i right in assuming that X stands for any given variable? if so,, take 1 as X.. then you would have...

Lol.. I know he admitted his mistake, but let's try griffenmaster's line of logic on another problem:

x + 1 =3

1. No one ever assigned X + 1 = 3
2. If you take 1 as X, then 1 + 1 != 3

therefore X + 1 cannot be equal to 3

omg! griffenmaster just disproved all of Algebra! I knew those middle school teachers were shitting me all along!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-25 17:08:47

At 11/25/03 04:36 PM, griffenmaster wrote:

:and MrRombie, how are we on the boards? mine's nearing completion.

ALMOSTT SFDODONE!! SDNSJDSNJDSND FSDSKDSNDF spam! spam! spam! spam! spam! LOL, YOU YA IN 3 DAYS!

Nah, mines almost done. Getting there. Less than a day or two, or three.

Yea. i like the other forms, they kick ass.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-25 17:19:23

Maths hurts me, like sunlight.

get back on topic guys

and as for fronting up some work, i could get a rough buggy demo of the battle engine in a couple of days depending on workload, i have been busy with college alot recenty, and this engine is really rather complecated now. theres no real rush though is there? i mean, theres no actual deadline. THAT DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GO AND SET ONE THOUGH...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-25 17:46:57

Calm down Jafit, I don't mean you. you have already fronted work. Its just that about 10 of us are always working on it, then the rest 40 billion have not shown one thing.

And Take your time with the engine man,,, GIVE IT NOW!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-25 21:42:26

At 11/24/03 10:55 AM, Jafit-man wrote: in the actions of a tree on a layer above the player:
onClipEvent {
if(_root.player._y => this._y){
//make tree behind player
this._visible = false
}else if(_root.player._y < tree._y){
//make player behind tree
this._visible = true
}
}

Ok I dont get it... does the tree have to be a movie clip or button?

~x~Ry-Dogg~x~

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 11:15:08

At 11/25/03 05:04 PM, Istari wrote:
omg! griffenmaster just disproved all of Algebra! I knew those middle school teachers were shitting me all along!

HAHA lol. Well you see, when you say X+1=3, it's given that you have found that an unknown value is 3 when you add 1 to it.

On the other hand, when you say a problem like limps, it's not mathematically sound and it doesn't fit into basic logic. Your problem is legit, Limp's problem is like saying X/X = 6... when it should equal 1.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 11:30:00

At 11/25/03 09:42 PM, Ry-Dogg2009 wrote:
At 11/24/03 10:55 AM, Jafit-man wrote: Tree script
Ok I dont get it... does the tree have to be a movie clip or button?

~x~Ry-Dogg~x~

movieclip, why would it be a button?
anyway, i hope it helps theWaste, if he needs it

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 13:10:38

At 11/26/03 11:30 AM, Jafit-man wrote: movieclip, why would it be a button?
anyway, i hope it helps theWaste, if he needs it

I'm the background designer...why would thewaste need it?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 13:20:18

erm... what he hell is going on here? or is it no n00b section ? erm ok

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 13:20:33

because he's coding the movement engine, all you have to do is draw things

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 13:29:47

oh ok... i think i get it. so im make what the backgrounds will look like and he codes 'em.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 13:37:05

i dont know, thats not my department. i just thought i'd help with that bit of code.

ask theWaste what he wants doing

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 14:56:32

At 11/26/03 11:15 AM, griffenmaster wrote: HAHA lol. Well you see, when you say X+1=3, it's given that you have found that an unknown value is 3 when you add 1 to it.
On the other hand, when you say a problem like limps, it's not mathematically sound and it doesn't fit into basic logic. Your problem is legit, Limp's problem is like saying X/X = 6... when it should equal 1.

Stop with all the math! Please! It goes right over my head... I go to this forum to look at what is new with the game! Not to learn math! You don't see me posting all of my horrible poetry on here?! Do you? Do you?!
lol, It's ok people, school just ended for Thanksgiving vacation, and the last thing i want to do is algebra...
Ok, now that that's out of the way, I guess I'll draw a 45 Degree angle of Tom Fulp... mmk?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 15:00:52

CANT STOP!!! THERE IS NO NEW STUFF ABOUT THE RPG BECAUSE NO ONE IS POSTING EVER!!! THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS TO KEEP FORUM ALIVE JUST INCASE SOME PERSON DECIDES TO ACTUALLY TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, fine go make 45 degree tom

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 15:09:49

At 11/26/03 03:00 PM, griffenmaster wrote: CANT STOP!!! THERE IS NO NEW STUFF ABOUT THE RPG BECAUSE NO ONE IS POSTING EVER!!! THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS TO KEEP FORUM ALIVE JUST INCASE SOME PERSON DECIDES TO ACTUALLY TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, fine go make 45 degree tom

i'm guessing that you're annoyed about something. maybe going and checking limp's bbs to find the link to the flash 5 version of the movement engine that you've been asking for might calm you down

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 16:43:39

At 11/24/03 03:09 PM, Jafit-man wrote:
dont you just hate it when that happens?

do a madness shop next, you appear to be the best shopper around

Yeah, computer crashes suck...
K, I'll do a madness shop tomorrow! Lot's of guns!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 17:56:25

right i need help now i was trying to weasle it out of thewaste but i didnt understand his jabbering but i need help with the changing between scenes, i have 3 scenes of a level i just need some one to link them (waste its probably over to you!!) erm i cant be arsed to put it on a page so if u see me on msn just ask and i'll send u the fla. i have to say its hgetting along well i have nearly done it. i'm sorry but i may not be on as much as i have exams coming up in january so need to start revising but i'll be on in the christmas hols as much as possible. i wish we had thanxgiving i could do with a break. so happy thanxgiving americans. Every one else later on!

[LN]

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 20:21:28

alright man. ive had my sleep, so im willing to help.
heres another way to make an exit door:

//paste these events into the doors movieclip
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
if (hitTest(_root.player._x, _root.player._y, true)) {
gotoAndPlay("framename", 1);
}
}
//this event will activate when the player is entirely over the door.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 21:47:18

At 11/26/03 03:09 PM, Jafit-man wrote:
i'm guessing that you're annoyed about something.

You found me out!!! Yes ... Im just mad that no one besides a select few of us have even shown any "time-consuming" work. ANyway, did he post a link at the bbs? ill check it out thanks. O and im calm, at least calmer than i was when i wrote that Capslocked post. SOrry or screaming.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 21:53:32

Yeah! Count me in! I'm not very experienced in animating but I can draw well! So yeah, count me in!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 22:30:26

Kenshin... You wish to contribute to NG RPG, that you do? Ok, i would like to ask you if you wish to help "draw" for the cutscenes of the rpg, that i would. I need help with the cutscenes graphic wise, that i do.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-26 23:04:16

I stand corrected with my posting of anger. Apparently, the devotionish of the team has already been discussed, and I never even knew! On the 29th page,,, Mr Rombie wrote:

and you can tell whos the real members, just goto Limp's forms and look there, anyone that posted, and is helping out there are the real members, and Waste, im with you to the end, we will complete this project.

and i agree with dropping everyone else thats not helping. Just the real members.

RuthlessBastard
Axeltheman
JafitMan
MrRombie
thewasteofwebspace
mexxa
Saxe
RagingFlame99
SlackerSoHa
griffenmaster
LimpNoodle

This list is made of 11 people... i've been tossing the number 10. I Would still like to see many people who are not on this list GET on this list... All you have to do is make a REAL contribution to the rpg beyond concept art.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 04:48:44

Here is the real list of members!!!!! (For now at least) :P

RuthlessBastard
Axeltheman
JafitMan
MrRombie
thewasteofwebspace
mexxa
Saxe
RagingFlame99
SlackerSoHa
griffenmaster
LimpNoodle
maakkleine

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 09:40:51

Alrighty,,, Yes Mak Ur in.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 09:43:14

Sadly I won't be able to put away any extra time for this, but I do hope this goes through. I'll be waiting for the finished project!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 10:37:10

whats up all.
ill cut to the quick

my computers fucked and im busy this week anyway, so someones gotta take the role of "bossy asshole" in my absesnce. Ill try and check the boards if my computer makes it so far.

I really want people to work on some tiles in flash. any landscape will do. Or even make sets (ie: school, house, building, street, whatever).

I also need scripters to work on some codes for me:
- How to make objects go behind/in front of another object
- How to change furking scenes in actionscript! (try make a actionscript go to a different scene without using just 'play()'. and yes, i did put _root in front of it.

The tempate is out there for anyone who wants to make charicters for the battle screen.

We need finalization on what shop system we are using. Either a custom one for each place, depending where (Ie: hobo clock shop), or a variables menu (easy to change, generic shop system)

dats all for now
peaz

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 11:43:37

- How to make objects go behind/in front of another object

i swear theWaste doesnt read this forum, here it is for the 3rd time...

in the actions of a tree on a layer above the player:
onClipEvent {
if(_root.player._y => this._y){
//make tree behind player
this._visible = false
}else if(_root.player._y < tree._y){
//make player behind tree
this._visible = true
}
}

dunno if it works, try it out

- How to change furking scenes in actionscript! (try make a actionscript go to a different scene without using just 'play()'. and yes, i did put _root in front of it.

if it's on the main timeline, just do this:

gotoAndPlay("[scene]", [frame]);

if its inside a movieclip, do this:

_root.gotoAndPlay("[scene]", [frame]);

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 12:05:28

Hey, this sounds intresting, and i'ld like to help, but don't got much time... anything I can do?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-27 12:18:52

At 11/27/03 12:05 PM, KriNn wrote: Hey, this sounds intresting, and i'ld like to help, but don't got much time... anything I can do?

theres loads of odd jobs going, you can make enemies for the battle engine, background tiles for the movement engine and i'm sure sother things need doing. have a look around, theres a template for the battle engine characters here and the tiles have to be 40*40 pixels i think.