00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

blakenator9872 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,875 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Great idea 2003-11-01 09:57:26

Well, I don't know if many of you will agree with this idea but I think it's one worth asking if it's good or not.

Considering how almost everyone in the flash board (or most of them anyways) wants to offer their skills (whether it be graphic help, knowledge, help with actionscript, etc.) I was just thinking...wouldn't it be awesome if a lot of people from this board got together to make one huge project together? Everyone has their own thing to offer, and if everyone's skills were to be put together, it would be by no doubt the best movie/game NG has ever seen. The project would also get NG users more involved with eachother, help the authors of this movie/game learn more about flash techniques and discuss them with other peers, and finally give the flash board the recognition it deserves. Finally, with a lot of people working on one project it would take a substantially less amount of time to put together instead of just one or a handful of people doing it. Anyone think this is a good idea but me? Or is it just some impossible dream?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 10:00:38

This would be hard.
how would each flash artist get access to the animation?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 10:19:35

At 11/1/03 10:00 AM, Raging_Tiger wrote: This would be hard.
how would each flash artist get access to the animation?

I'm not entirely sure on how this is going to work yet. First, I have to see if anyone is actually willing to do something like this in the first place. I guess everyone could work on a different thing, or break up into groups and work on a certain scene of a movie, (or if it is a game then a certain part of the game). We would need a few really responsible people to keep all of these scenes or parts and put them together when they are done. All of the latest developments could be posted on this thread, or another one. This would include screenshots, problems, questions, etc. Like I said, I'm not sure exactly how this will work or if it will work but I'm just hoping it does. If anyone agrees or shows any interest, post your ideas/comments here!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 10:23:40

I wouldn't mind doing something for it, but the only thing is that all i can do in Flash is draw, i am crap at animating (tweening)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 10:53:50

Hehe, nice idea, i think we should do this

I like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 11:12:30

Ill hook you up with gore effects for this project man. Start it now, before server goes down for recontruction.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 11:43:35

i can do things. animation and backgrounds. and i discovered that i can make nice space scenes with planets and such.

or...

we could do a kind of music video that the CC did a while back
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=122161

each clock did a couple of seconds of the movie, it was quite good. if you want to do something like this, then it would have to be a long song (not to mention good)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-01 12:24:14

At 11/1/03 11:43 AM, Jafit-man wrote: i can do things. animation and backgrounds. and i discovered that i can make nice space scenes with planets and such.

or...

we could do a kind of music video that the CC did a while back
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=122161

each clock did a couple of seconds of the movie, it was quite good. if you want to do something like this, then it would have to be a long song (not to mention good)

Jafit-Man:
Yeah dude lets start it right now. Let me get a MSN or Yahoo msngr handle and we'll do this!!!11

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 00:40:55

Been there, done that, but what the hey

Call me if you need me

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 02:39:49

If you want this idea to survive, you need a gameplan and a movie/game that people on't hesitate to vote 5 on. Otherwise, it's just an excersize in futility.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 02:50:07

hmm. best way to share the files would be FTP -- it doesnt hafta have alot of bandwidth cuz only u guys will be using it.

a problem would be consistancy of style -- it will be hard to keep all to one theme. I mean, everyones drawing technique is different. You cant just say draw like this cuz even if you do people will still have their own ways of doing it. using lines, outlines, paint, pen, shapes... i mean, a good share of the times i just paint my charicters...

its a good idea tho. couple of bumps, but im sure that could be overcome.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 03:02:40

I'll be willing to lend a hand with a bit of ActionScript.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 06:36:17

Ok i have a idea, make a web-site where theres links to differnet areas. Like on link will be AS, anoughter animating, sounds, backgrounds, and so on.
Then have a e-mail accounts for each differnet thing. Then on those pages you can have like differnet membeers names for what there going to do for the project, with contact infomation, and stuff, this will like help organize stuff.
Then you issue to people what there going to do, like what backgrounds will look like, what type of people you want them to look like, that shit.
Then the people once there done would e-mail you the .fla, and once all the stuff is done, you would put it all together and then have the actionscripters enter the commands. Its like a giant puzzle.
Also there can be a progress page, that shows how far the project is comming along, so people can just check that out, so you wont get millions of e-mails.

I would like to help out, so im willing to do the whole web-site, and set up a bunch of e-mails, that you would have access to.

My e-mail is sic_of_life_0@yahoo.com
AIM: MrRombie

-MrRombie

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 06:50:57

If you have me do the web-site that will save you time, and let you think more for the project and stuff.
Anyways, so what did you have in mind for the project? movie? game?
I think it should be a game, that way theres more to do, and people dont get bored.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 10:12:35

At 11/2/03 06:50 AM, MrRombie wrote: If you have me do the web-site that will save you time, and let you think more for the project and stuff.
Anyways, so what did you have in mind for the project? movie? game?
I think it should be a game, that way theres more to do, and people dont get bored.

Yeah, you're right, a game would probably be the best selection. If some people can't use actionscript, then they can do the graphical aspects, find sounds and other stuff for it. You can start setting up the website right now if you want. Hmmm...guys--anyone wanting to help out even the slightest bit please respond. I want this to be an effort of most of the people on the flash board, not just a few.

I just thought it over right now and I was just thinking...Christmas is coming up, right? Maybe we can do a christmas-related game or something like that...something to fit the season that we're going into...hmmmmm...However, for a game we need a few people knowledgeable in actionscript, and just more people to help out. This has to be a team effort if we want it to do good and work out. Guys, post everything here. Your ideas for this game, if you think it should be a movie instead of a game, if you're willing to help out (if so, what can you help with), etc.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 19:44:06

Ok im going to work on the site right now, and set up the e-mails for each area.

Does a christmas type thing mean theres going to be mass amounts of blood and weapons in it?

-MrRombie

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 20:50:03

Heck, count me in! It may be awhile before I can do my part though, my latest movie is seriously in the works.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 21:40:33

yeah ill be a part of that. I dont have any real specialties - but i can draw some pretty sweet props and charicters, and i can make a badass loading screen. actually yes - who wants a freakin shweeet loading screen?

im also good at making touch-ups to animations - like sounds and musics.

hit me up here : e-mail

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 22:40:09

Ok i got the front page done so far, take alook and tell me what you think, if you want anything changed, like the font or whatever, tell me and ill do it.

Heres the site.

http://www.geocities.com/nggroupproject/index.html

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 22:56:17

This idea has been thought up so many times since I've been on the forums and probably plenty of times before then. Not once have I seen it carried out successfully. Count me out, but good luck.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 23:17:55

At 11/2/03 10:56 PM, MagicalMusicalPika wrote: This idea has been thought up so many times since I've been on the forums and probably plenty of times before then. Not once have I seen it carried out successfully. Count me out, but good luck.

It wont have everyone working on it, because of people like you dont want to work on somthing like this, but it will get many people to work on it, and it will be completed.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-02 23:46:10

heres a loader screen i knocked up in about 5 minutes.
http://www.geocities.com/thewasteofwebspace/loader.htm

go retro! :P
I woulda made those kewl little monitor-line fings like the old fasioned monitors have but a jpg that big and detailed would end up bigger than the movie :P

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 01:51:07

At 11/2/03 10:56 PM, MagicalMusicalPika wrote: This idea has been thought up so many times since I've been on the forums and probably plenty of times before then. Not once have I seen it carried out successfully. Count me out, but good luck.

I'm thinging the exact same thing.

People started collabs such as PAP and GBP but not one of them have yet turned out a movie or game, basically due to a non-dedicated leader or members.

BBS Signature

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 01:55:53

At 11/3/03 01:51 AM, y3llow wrote:
I'm thinging the exact same thing.

People started collabs such as PAP and GBP but not one of them have yet turned out a movie or game, basically due to a non-dedicated leader or members.

Im dedicated and im making the web-site to keep things organized. And willing to work on the project.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 02:22:33

At 11/3/03 01:55 AM, MrRombie wrote: Im dedicated and im making the web-site to keep things organized. And willing to work on the project.

Well, let's just see how it goes then.

BBS Signature

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 02:41:35

Yea, lets see how it goes. Might work, mightnot work.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 02:51:04

btw - on my loader thing - i just put that blue jpg there to make sure it took a while to load.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 04:13:36

Whats the preloader for?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 04:15:34

Sorry to double post.

I made a form for the web-site, all i need to do is upload it onto the web-site, which i will be doing tommorow mourning when i wake up. Im going to bed.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-03 04:42:29

thats just it. WHAT for. im just adding miscellanious crud im not using. I made that because it was consistant with the website.