00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Limaou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,848 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 19:21:12

um... for one these were taken off of sketches i drew at skool, and (2) ive been to how to draw manga.com the only bodies they show you is naked woman's bodies and dbz. but i agree with the muscles and the hands (the muscles look like growths :/ lol and the hands are drawn by dr suess himself :o )

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

BBS Signature

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 19:44:32

At 11/18/03 07:21 PM, SayHi2Death wrote: ive been to how to draw manga.com the only bodies they show you is naked woman's bodies

no, i think that was a different anime website that you went on, i think maybe one of the ones advertised around NG ;), you didnt look at the right tutorials then, they show you how to do faces and clothes and shit, useful.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 20:11:32

Hey all, quick update here:

- Yes, like said before, we ARE loosing direction and unless things are sorted this project is for lost. Why am I not worried? Because me and a rare few others have the movement engine and thats pretty much the only put-together component of the game as of yet. If anyone doesnt feel commited to the project, then you are pulling us and the other determined members of this production down and I for one dont want you wasting our time.

- The shop menu is not a problem. I have been working on a system to make it so the level editors will only have to change some variables to make a completely differernt shop. The one I am working on is incorperated with speech, so a shopkeeper will have items to sell and something to say, wheras someone you can talk to will just have something to say. Unfortunatly this means there wont be a diolouge system as such (Diolouge: as in being able to converse different conversation topics with an NPC and getting a different responce. I say its too complex and not really a big feature... its more of a work around with AS).
The fields for the Shopkeepers/NPCS Include:

Speech : What the charicter has to say
Face : The charicters apperance in the face closeup
Name : Name of the NPC
MessageImportant : This field (either 0 or 1) will determine weather the player can just walk away from the person talking, or has to press 'x' to close the diolouge box

and the proposed fields:

Item1 : This variable, if greater then one, will take the corrosponding number, and retrieve a table of data from an index of values set before the game starts. these values have things such as the items apperence, inventory index, name. So all the level editor has to do is type 4 for example, and the item would be "Apple".
Item1price : Determines the cost of the item being sold. This is so level editors can make bargin prices for items when sold at different places (ie: guns are cheaper in stick town because they are more abundant)
Item2 : ( Continued for 8 items)
Item2price : ( Continued for 8 items)

Which brings me to the next matter: How is the inventory going to work? Is it going to be an itemlist? so when you buy something it adds it to the list? Or are we going to have values for each item (ie: Numberofapples: 10, Numberofbananas: 12, Numberofpistols: 2). I need someone experienced to determine this because it is a very vital part of the game.

No matter which system we use, we are definiatly going to have to have a "Currentweapon" and "Currentdefence" and "Currentarmour" field for the charicters current weapons, sheilds, armour, etc.

Also : how is scrolling going to work? Do we make seperate scenes for each level, so when you walk off the edge, it goes to that scene? or do we make one huge level for each town/destination on the map?

Anyways im done ranting and your all done listening. Today I am hot, pissed off, overstressed, and yet I try to keep order in the game. So feel free to be pissed off back for my bossyness and conrol-freakism, but im only being strict for the overall good of the game.

btw - who wanted the movement engine again?

Thewaste

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 20:23:54

At 11/18/03 08:11 PM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Hey all, quick update here:

Which brings me to the next matter: How is the inventory going to work? Is it going to be an itemlist? so when you buy something it adds it to the list? Or are we going to have values for each item (ie: Numberofapples: 10, Numberofbananas: 12, Numberofpistols: 2). I need someone experienced to determine this because it is a very vital part of the game.

Thewaste

I think the Item list should be sort of like, when you get an item, it goes to a different place in the item box. Stuff like guns and baseball bats should go into a place where you can only have one of each at one time (one board w/a nail in it, one M-16, one handgun, etc...). Stuff like mushrooms, steriods, ammunition, and other stuff of that nature should go into a place where it shows the item, and then a number next to it that tells how much of it you have.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 20:37:23

Hey all i got one more thing to ask... is the portal level just going to be a portal?
If so shouild it move cause i can make a portal with a loop and everything and post it at that one guy's message board...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 20:59:57

At 11/18/03 08:23 PM, SlackerSoHa wrote:
I think the Item list should be sort of like, when you get an item, it goes to a different place in the item box. Stuff like guns and baseball bats should go into a place where you can only have one of each at one time (one board w/a nail in it, one M-16, one handgun, etc...). Stuff like mushrooms, steriods, ammunition, and other stuff of that nature should go into a place where it shows the item, and then a number next to it that tells how much of it you have.

nah, one weapon at a time sould be fine. and you dont need a picture of an item to know what it is, just a list of items would work and some way of finding out what it does.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 21:04:34

At 11/18/03 08:11 PM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Hey all, quick update here:

No matter which system we use, we are definiatly going to have to have a "Currentweapon" and "Currentdefence" and "Currentarmour" field for the charicters current weapons, sheilds, armour, etc.

Also : how is scrolling going to work? Do we make seperate scenes for each level, so when you walk off the edge, it goes to that scene? or do we make one huge level for each town/destination on the map?

We're not going to use 'scrolling' for the game. I think making a huge town drawing and telling the movie to scroll over every time you move a bit in one location is something we should avoid. Each town/destination on the map will be divided up into smaller sub-sections ("rooms"). Each room will have its respective frame on the timeline. Every time you clear a room, you can go into the next one by walking through a path. This path will have a movie clip (or be one) and when it detects the player, it will tell the movie to go to the next frame (which will be the next scene in the town). It's pretty basic, but I've seen it done in a lot of RPG's and it works surprisingly well.

Anyways im done ranting and your all done listening. Today I am hot, pissed off, overstressed, and yet I try to keep order in the game. So feel free to be pissed off back for my bossyness and conrol-freakism, but im only being strict for the overall good of the game.

I appreciate you trying to keep order in this game man. I know it's for the overall good of the game...heh heh..I have no problem with it anyways..

btw - who wanted the movement engine again?

That would be me I believe. I was the one who wanted the completed movement engine (with sounds). If possible could you compress the music loops before sending the fla to me? Thanks.

Thewaste

Response to Great idea 2003-11-18 21:35:52

Hey, If I don't post here, don't worry, I'm working hard.

If it's ok with everyone, I have gotten a small group together to work on the movies. So far, _LimpNoodle_, MrRombie, and SlackerSoHa have volunteered to work on the movies. We are working hard to get the cutscenes on a role, and we are already throwing around ideas for the intro movie scene.

We are first creating story boards, which are, for those of you who do not know, drawn out plans for scenes using a comic like format with quick remarks on them as to the details and such. We are going to post each one on a website and put up a poll to see which one is most prefered. We encourage everyone who is working on this RPG to participate in the poll once it's up.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 03:26:39

whats up all?
Anyways I posted a furkin huge message but once again it didnt post, and im getting FUCKING sick of it. i hope newgrounds fix the 'internal errors' i keep getting. and since i said fucking, an admin is going to read this post -- so while ur at it, FIX THE BBS, I HAVE WROTE TOO MANY MESSAGES THAT DONT POST AND WASTED TOO LONG WRITING THEM. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

right. well the point is basicly, you guys have to finalize the story on the boards more and see what people think -- dont waste ur time with comic strip timelines if no-one will agree with it.

Ruthless -- is this what you mean by the map scrolling? (each of the red boxes would be different scenes)
http://www.geocities.com/thewasteofwebspace/map.htm

cyz.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 03:34:12

At 11/19/03 03:26 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: whats up all?
Anyways I posted a furkin huge message but once again it didnt post, and im getting FUCKING sick of it. i hope newgrounds fix the 'internal errors' i keep getting. and since i said fucking, an admin is going to read this post -- so while ur at it, FIX THE BBS, I HAVE WROTE TOO MANY MESSAGES THAT DONT POST AND WASTED TOO LONG WRITING THEM. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel, but NG admin is well aware of the problem. Next time you post something really big, just copy it so if it doesn't work, you can just paste it again.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 05:57:19

taking into account my forgetfulnessness.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 06:20:17

Ps. I still need the password to the other newgrounds bbs. If u can make votes, please put this there:

--- Vote ----
How will the Inventory system work? (Note: the target number of items in the game is 100-200 items, ranging from quest items, to weapons, to defences, to commodities, to powerups)
1. A button to open a screen that displays every item in the game and how much you have of that item?
2. A list item?
3. A scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen that displays every item in the game and how much you have of that item, as you scroll?
4. Multiple screens displaying each catagory of items (ie: weapons in one, food in another, etc) and a number of how many of each.
5. Other (Please specify)

Vote by simply writing the number and posting it in this bbs, or hopefully we will make a vote on the other bbs.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 07:04:18

At 11/19/03 06:20 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Ps. I still need the password to the other newgrounds bbs. If u can make votes, please put this there:

--- Vote ----
How will the Inventory system work? (Note: the target number of items in the game is 100-200 items, ranging from quest items, to weapons, to defences, to commodities, to powerups)
1. A button to open a screen that displays every item in the game and how much you have of that item?
2. A list item?
3. A scrolling bar at the bottom of the screen that displays every item in the game and how much you have of that item, as you scroll?
4. Multiple screens displaying each catagory of items (ie: weapons in one, food in another, etc) and a number of how many of each.
5. Other (Please specify)

Vote by simply writing the number and posting it in this bbs, or hopefully we will make a vote on the other bbs.

Ok i'm on it. (unless rombie did it.) i instant messaged u the password but i'll do it again (instant messages can be viewed at the top of the page when logged in ur user area in the forum)

Ok, we should do it the scene way likein ur concept, waste.

And here is my first story board its under "flash" here

http://www.my site

nice to see peole posting again when ever i'm sleeping you lot are on so when i come back i gotta read a whole page or so, which is nice!

[LN]

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 08:30:26

n00bism. I dont know where IM is -- and I cant find it anywhere :S
Anyways, I made diagrams for the vote I made before... so u guys can know wtf im talking about.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 08:38:32

Im goin to bed all.
Limp man -- the story looks ok -- If I could read it :P
You should spend more time on it, and more detail -- but first discuss with people on the bbs's what the storyline for the intro is. I think it shud be:

Tom looking over Newgrounds proudly
Happyness all over Newgrounds
Rumbling
Cartoons scared/evacuating
Darktween emerges under toms palace, leveling it to the ground as Darktween rises
Cartoons look at the palace and see Darktween (big scary crystal castle thing -- i dont kno) and theres thunder and lightining
Cartoons arm themselves and prepare for siege on Darktween to rescue Tom
----> Meanwhile on earth <-----
More research being carried out on the portal that was found on earth
Government guards and fencing everyone
You sneak into the compound and jump thru the one-way-portal into Newgrounds
----> Back at Newgrounds <----
A human comes thru the portal into Newgrounds, a rare event, making you (something like) the 5th human in Newgrounds.
They beg you for help, to rescue tom (the first exporer/king of Newgrounds and The Portal)
The siege is put on hold temporarily, giving you the chance to rescue/find out where/what Tom is.

Anyways im off to sleep
peace all.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 08:53:48

ok am putting up the poll

hey thewaste u gotta log on to the forum to get into the area first.

Any way i got nothing to do that storyboard is a bit dodgy i know but ohwell

Response to Great idea 2003-11-19 21:31:23

At 11/19/03 08:38 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote:

:*story*

Heh heh, that's pretty good. Of course, we have to add small details for the story. Jafit-man and I think LimpNoodle or someone else as well as myself came up with a pretty good idea to introduce you to the game once you enter through the portal. This is what happens:

While travelling through the portal to 'The Newgrounds' you are knocked unconscious and when you awaken, you are in the new world. Just in front of the portal is a giant arc shaped 'gate' that serves as the last point of The Newgrounds before the portal. Two p-bots have been assigned; in the chaos, to guard this arc leading to the portal just in case the evil forces find out how to use the portal to travel across into other worlds (such as earth). Just as you start to wake up, you notice the p-bots and become a bit startled by them. You start to ask a lot of questions but are soon interrupted by a band of evil followers approaching the gate. (Maybe this part could introduce the final boss or one of the evil leaders to you.) The p-bots ask for your help, and soon enough a battle ensues, going to the battle screen. In this battle scene, the p-bots will teach you how to use the fighting engine, about items in it, what each status bar is for, etc. (Oh, by the way, if we decide to do this we have to make this battle extremely easy to win because it is the very first one). Anyways, the battle continues and just before you beat the final enemy, it goes to a cutscene (or in game) part in which one of the p-bots is killed. When you defeat the evil enemies, the leader says that he will get his revenge or something like that, and it won't be the last time you will face off. The remaining p-bot turns into your 'guide' throughout the whole game, to help you through certain things, give you tips, update you on what's happening on the game, etc. What do you guys think of this idea?

Anyways, once I'm done the stuff that I need to finish for the game, I will be starting to build the first level (or at least first "room") for the game. Thewaste, in order to be able to do this I need your updated movement engine with sounds included and compressed if that's not too much of a problem for you at the moment.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 02:01:51

should I draw how all the stuff looks on my character (still haven't named this guy...)... You know, draw guns, swords, armor, what he looks like when he receives an item, etc...
Btw, LimpNoodle, I'm still working on that view of Tom Fulp from the ground, him looking all surprised and all. I'm sorry, I would have had it finished a while ago... but I got grounded due to bad grades, so now I have to pretend like i'm reading when I'm on the computer... makes it kinda hard to draw... Pretty sneaky though, huh? Heh heh heh...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 02:12:46

THAT IS A FREAKIN AWESOME IDEA!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 11:08:19

yeah scene. i'll wait for a bit but its much appreciated.

I think in that scene of the battle Ruthless was talking about we can use that Military-Bot too fighting off a few more baddies. its all good.

Got nothing more to say except i would like the movement engine too, thewaste i think i asked a while ago and also i got a few tiles for u. cheers.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 15:58:40

At 11/19/03 09:31 PM, RuthlessBastard wrote:

:Anyways, the battle continues and just before you beat the final enemy, it goes to a cutscene (or in game) part in which one of the p-bots is killed.

I Would like to work on that cutscene with the crew...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 18:45:44

to you all may i make a suggestion? you need to cut the fat now before you get deep into this, i think you should ask for a small sample from each member, some have proved there worth as it looks, ie rombie, waste, bastard, you get the idea, but i truley think you should take role of what talent is here, because you dont want to be decieved when you say hey *soandso* go do the battle background for the mountain area, and it looks like complete shit, a suggestion that might be worth your while

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 19:30:02

At 11/20/03 06:45 PM, luckoftheirish wrote: because you dont want to be decieved when you say hey *soandso* go do the battle background for the mountain area, and it looks like complete shitHold up real qiuik. Is that suppose

to be directed towards me cause I'm the background designer and my posts on previous pages were on paint. I don't like being ridiculed... you probably dont either, I'm just sayin that sounded like a whole bunch of shit right in my direction.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 20:46:00

ry bro i havent looked at more than 5 pages, it wasnt a shot at you, i had never even seen your name until right now, to set my point ill give more examples

hey *soandso*, draw me a gnome, ...whoa well *soandso* that gnome looks like shit, gosh i wished i had trimmed the fat of the NG rpg team, then my team wouldnt have ended,but sadly i kept the fat, and put it up on the grill like some normal piece of meat

you see rydog, what a weak link can do to a group, again as you can see from the absence of backgrounds in that scenario that it could be any one of the 20+ members

Response to Great idea 2003-11-20 23:46:53

Luck is right. We arnt being critical enough of the artworks. And im causing problems by not circulating the movement engine enough.

but the good news is that MY SKOOL IS OVA!, and I cant work on the game twice as fast for twice as long. Im going to clean up the movement test, and post it freely for distribution (the url will be in the other BBS when i get around to it, so no outsiders can freebie the code from us)

So what im working on now is :
- Cleaning up the movement engine and getting it ready for distribution.
- Working on the buying system
- Adding the inventory. According to the vote, people want multiple inventory screens displaying each catagory of items the player can posess. You guys realise that every inventory system I make will have to show every item in the game, and how much you posses of it, even if its 0? It is VERY difficult to make inventory placements that change position to show only the items you have.

And I need to have :
- A better server/system for file distribution
- A list of the stats/attributes the main charicter can have
- The 'el grande' list of every item in the entire game. (approx 100-200). People will have to discuss this and every item must have a cause and effect.

Hopefully now that im off school, i can help out more.
peas.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-21 00:04:46

At 11/20/03 11:46 PM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: And I need to have :
- The 'el grande' list of every item in the entire game. (approx 100-200). People will have to discuss this and every item must have a cause and effect.

peas.

Where should we discuss the items? I don't know if every one has got MSN yet... and if they have, please notify me. We could discuss over here on this forum, or at LimpNoodles forum... I know that we already have several (maybe 10) items made up already. I would like to do some stuff on this project other than just art... even though im fine with just doing that ;)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-21 01:16:26

At 11/21/03 12:04 AM, SlackerSoHa wrote:
At 11/20/03 11:46 PM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: And I need to have :

peas.
Where should we discuss the items? I don't know if every one has got MSN yet... and if they have, please notify me. We could discuss over here on this forum, or at LimpNoodles forum... I know that we already have several (maybe 10) items made up already. I would like to do some stuff on this project other than just art... even though im fine with just doing that ;)

yeah soha. I kno you guys need stuff to do. im working on the engine -- once its released, people can change it for their own concepts and use the scales/items/properties of it to create their own items that we require, so its really my fault its going so slow at the moment.

my msn addy once again is embassary911@hotmail.com if you wanna chat. peas.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-21 08:37:02

Well...
What apperered to be a great step in the RPG's movement and diolouge engine, turned out to be a great big crosswired pile of action script, and its pissing me off. Im starting it again.

If anyone still wants the script (that will be obsolete when I wake up in 10 hours and make a new one) Ill be sure to send them it, but I warn you -- the only saved copy left is one where I left everything half finshed and jaggie events all around. Ive even named one of the variables "FUCKOFF" in fustration. Dont think that ill bother changing it.

Anyways im drifing, so its sleepy time for me.
sorry i couldnt be more helpful. prehaps I should scrap the entire engine and work in another department? Heres a shot of the completed shopping screen as of now:

Cyas.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-21 11:53:38

Alrite boys.

I dont really know what i have to say so yeah....

I set up that items post in my BBS so just post an idea for an item so that we can then make up a final list. Alot of planning and debating will have t go into this. (along with alot more in the game) but for now ITEMS are the main priority till thewaste releases his movement engine.

I'm out tonite cos its FRIDAY NIGHT!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OO RAVE!!!!!!!

*cough cough*

yes?!?!

[LN]

Response to Great idea 2003-11-21 12:13:22

sorry for barging in late guys but haven't checked this BBs regularly 4 a while.....
wondering if you could use any help?

I'm currently at uni so I can only offer limited help, but would be interested in a team project if this thing holds any water.

Here's an EARLY preview of my next game so you can see what like I am....the fight engine has a lot of programming you can't see yet..anyway enjoy
http://www.btinternet.com/~theuggcave/lor3.html