00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ThanksDennis just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,853 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 00:45:33

Ok im back. Looking at the amounts of posts there is, its not hard to see that people are generally loosing direction of the concept. So hopefully this will fix up any issues here...

Myself, Ruthlessbastard, MrRombie, and lots of others have already confirmed the idea. It is the Newgrounds RPG... its story, the ideas, its maps, and other information about it is in the other posts. Why it was chosen? Because:

An RPG may be difficult to program, (but we have the movement engine according to ruthless) (and many eager graphics makers) But an RPG is the most expansive and fun game we can produce. Lets face it .. can anyone be bothered playing a platformer for more than 5 minutes? Maybe you can, but thats just me.

We chose the theme of Newgrounds because EVERYONE here can relate to newgrounds, and everyone here must enjoy newgrounds, or they simply wouldnt be here. It will consist of popular charicters from Newgrounds and the diversity from the popular charicters will be slim.

The view will be (as discussed as far as I know by the others) 45 degree top down view. And the battle system appears to still being discussed. Axeltheman, yours seems to be very appriciated... how well do you know the code to be able to change it? If its good, we will use that, because Ruthless likes it, and im very fond of it myself.

When it comes to the ideas, people have gone from contributing to the game, to just shit that amuses them. Now dont get me wrong, Ive loved to be able to just browse through the posts and look at peoples graphics ... and the matrix is always interesting ... but seriously, it has no room in the RPG. I know this is a very stiff statement, but I dont want to be guilty when it comes to choosing graphics for the game and most of it gets rejected because it has no place. Prehaps the matrix will have a secret game or a minigame, but that as of now, is not decided.

So if you so much appriciate the matrix and wish to make a platformer, go ahead... id love to see one, i seriously would.

God, ive seen so many good ideas in these boards. Ive noticed a group of you are strongly against the RPG, and I dont wish to waste any more of your time and talent ... so use your great ideas and im sure a group of you will wish to develop something else.

Rydogg. Sorry I didnt reply sooner to fix this. But you are no good to us without flash. We are only accepting vector art, no matter what the project is. You are welcome to share ideas but theres no way we can use jpgs.. whatever.. in our piece.

Im also aware that ive been becoming quite the asshole when it comes to posting messages. Im trying my best to be freindly and be realistic at the same time... but me and the others intend to make the best damn RPG on Newgrounds, and I want everyones directions and intentions clear before we go on.

Thats it from me. If you have any arguments or simply wanna abuse me, then the address is thewasteofwebspace@hotmail.com ...

Thank you
The waste.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:00:21

No i dont think your becoming an asshole, you have to tell the people what where doing, or the project wont go anywhere.

I will make a level maker right now, you know like make a shitload of grafixs and then you just put them all together like a puzzle (each puzzle peice will be like 3x3 on the grid when your in 100% view). That could help out right now. Becuase where in need of background grafix for the game. And the view of the backgrounds is Link to the past? right, just making sure.

Yea, if you dont have flash, then just give your ideas on the thing we already choosed. Where making a Newgrounds RPG. The rough draft story for it is on page 3 (i think) please read that if you want to help out. And please read all the pages, so you understand what where doing for the game. And so you dont post a idea thats already been posted.

(some questions about the game)
Are we going to have a save system, where you can save it as a cookie, and then load it?

How many levels are there going to be? just the ones on the map wasteofspace made?

What is the time? like what year? Past Present Future?

I will post the .fla later once i get most of it done.

-MrRombie

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:02:08

Yea. the story is on page 3, and my question on what year is it has been answered.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:04:09

At 11/10/03 12:45 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Ok im back. Looking at the amounts of posts there is, its not hard to see that people are generally loosing direction of the concept. So hopefully this will fix up any issues here...

Thank you
The waste.

Thanks for clearing all that up... I am glad we have someone like you to let everyone have fun and stray a little, but then bringing them back on topic.
Now, I am assuming that the person I drew (see page 12) will be one of the characters you can select? I got some good feedback on him. Should I draw him at a 45 degree angle? I'm not really sure how... Kind of like in the Pokemon game for GameBoy?
And I'm still not sure who I should e-mail asking for permission to use their people. Maybe it is too early to do that anyway....

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:07:49

Holy shit, I am so in. Ironically, earlier today I posted a message looking for a group project. I was too lazy to read all 12 pages of this, but RuthlessBastard, let me know what I can do. I can help with story, animation, etc, (I only know basic action script). I think all this comradery is great, and fuck anyone who should nay say.

AIM - AdamhXc
MSN - adamhxc@hotmail.com

Let me know ASAP. This is exciting!

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:08:29

i could probably help. i'm working on something with someone else at the moment but if you need something minor i might be able to chip in. just as long as it's not a big big thing you know. you know where to IM me.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:10:33

Hey dude, a couple things.
1) What is the decided storyline (if it is decided yet)
2) What is the URL of the NG RPG website?
3) What can I draw?
4) Heres my idea for a story. Itll be sorta like Kingdom hearts:
A made up main guy. Each type of famous flash animation gets a world (mario, madness, stick, lego)

for the bad guys we have all the enimies of the famous flash (Goth kids-pico, Bowser- mario, Jesus-madness, etc.) and have one made up Uber Bad guy.

OK so heres the actual story;

The portal was doing fine; Blamming Saving and Praising flash productions. Until one day something happened. (Show bad guys destroying portal)

Luckily you got through the portal moments before it was infected. The Flash animations held a town meeting. The leaders of Ng decided that someone would have to travel to the dark side of NG and investigate the reason for the portals infection. You volunteer to save the portal and stop whoever is destroying the portal.

what do you think?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:12:03

At 11/10/03 01:00 AM, MrRombie wrote: No i dont think your becoming an asshole, you have to tell the people what where doing, or the project wont go anywhere.

I will make a level maker right now, you know like make a shitload of grafixs and then you just put them all together like a puzzle (each puzzle peice will be like 3x3 on the grid when your in 100% view). That could help out right now. Becuase where in need of background grafix for the game. And the view of the backgrounds is Link to the past? right, just making sure.

Are we going to have a save system, where you can save it as a cookie, and then load it?

How many levels are there going to be? just the ones on the map wasteofspace made?

I will post the .fla later once i get most of it done.

-MrRombie

I think that if you collect all the puzzle pieces you would have access to a secret level... Maybe that's how we could tie in the matrix stuff.
That would be really cool if we made it so you could save the game while playing. It would be handy also if the game is pretty long. The game should probably be set in the present.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:26:16

I think that if you collect all the puzzle pieces you would have access to a secret level... Maybe that's how we could tie in the matrix stuff.
That would be really cool if we made it so you could save the game while playing. It would be handy also if the game is pretty long. The game should probably be set in the present.

no no no, thats for making levels, like: one of the things will be a grass grafhix, where you will then put all the puzzle things together to make a background for the game. understand?

The thing will be for making the backgrounds for the levels.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:26:20

I expect so.

No, there will be more hopefully. That map was just an idea concept.

If the storyline is used, The present (2004, where the game will most likely be finished)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:27:53

At 11/10/03 01:04 AM, SlackerSoHa wrote:
At 11/10/03 12:45 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Ok im back. Looking at the amounts of posts there is, its not hard to see that people are generally loosing direction of the concept. So hopefully this will fix up any issues here...

Thank you
The waste.
Thanks for clearing all that up... I am glad we have someone like you to let everyone have fun and stray a little, but then bringing them back on topic.
Now, I am assuming that the person I drew (see page 12) will be one of the characters you can select? I got some good feedback on him. Should I draw him at a 45 degree angle? I'm not really sure how... Kind of like in the Pokemon game for GameBoy?
And I'm still not sure who I should e-mail asking for permission to use their people. Maybe it is too early to do that anyway....

Actually we could use a prototype for the movement... and Im quite fond of that charicter... I need to know what the others think first. But yes, if your willing to draw it, then do so :D
make sure it has 4 directions and a walking anim of each direction.

thanks.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:29:35

But for the matrix level (if we have it) there should be some items placed around the game, where you have to collect them, and when you have them all it gives you a password. The you go to the main screen, and there could be a options area, and where you can unlock the level, where you will then enter the password and BANG! MATRIX LEVEL! (lol, if we have it)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:30:26

At 11/10/03 01:10 AM, Ragingflame99 wrote: Hey dude, a couple things.
1) What is the decided storyline (if it is decided yet)

Page 3 my man

2) What is the URL of the NG RPG website?

I forgot. Its here somewhere... around page 3 also.

3) What can I draw?

For now we need to know the screen resolution. post ideas please.

4) Heres my idea for a story. Itll be sorta like Kingdom hearts:
A made up main guy. Each type of famous flash animation gets a world (mario, madness, stick, lego)

Thats sorta what we already have, but not worlds, but towns.

for the bad guys we have all the enimies of the famous flash (Goth kids-pico, Bowser- mario, Jesus-madness, etc.) and have one made up Uber Bad guy.

This we have pretty much discussed also, and its on as well.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:32:22

At 11/10/03 01:26 AM, MrRombie wrote:
no no no, thats for making levels, like: one of the things will be a grass grafhix, where you will then put all the puzzle things together to make a background for the game. understand?

The thing will be for making the backgrounds for the levels.

excellent idea rombie. make it happen. no sprites please -- hand-drawn vectors :) (this is to save space, the game is already tipping 5mb and it hasnt even started :P)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 01:48:41

excellent idea rombie. make it happen. no sprites please -- hand-drawn vectors :) (this is to save space, the game is already tipping 5mb and it hasnt even started :P)

No i dont use sprites, all hand drawn.

I re-made the web-site beause it ....well it sucked ass ok? too dark like one dude said. Yea....so heres the new sites link.

Please dont use the old one. ...well doesnt matter ill be deleteing that one soon.

Here:
http://www.freewebs.com/nggroupproject/

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 02:32:15

nice website rombie! are u sure u made it? its sWeet0r!
and i dont think we should make passwords, because players share them around in the reviews post.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 02:37:02

I think we should also include the Neurotically Yours girl and or Foamy. I'm tired as hell, struggling to think of other popular series here in NG, but I'm sure more will come to me. I think the more series incorporated, the better.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 02:59:23

Can someone make a up-dated list of the members, im to lazy, and im putting it on the web-site. Heres the first version un-updated, that thewaste made:

:: Lead Producer ::
RuthlessBastard

:: Graphics and Animation ::
MrRombie
xDragonSlayeRx
SlackerSoHa
BassProjectX
MagicalMusicalPika

:: Graphic Special Effects ::
Cheapo2002 - (Guns and Explosions department)
LiveCorpse - (Gore and Violence department)

:: Sounds ::
KongClock - (Some voices)

:: Scripting and Programming ::
CrookedAsterisk
Jafit-man
MagicalMusicalPika
BassProjectX

:: Volunteers and Helpers ::
mexxa
Raging-Tiger
Qwertypod
SeiyruRenaih

:: Concept, Ideas, Production :: (aka. that guy)
Me. :P

Up-date it please.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 03:34:22

ive noticed people have just ducked in and ducked out of this thread. So in the next update I will only include only the proven active members.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 03:35:35

At 11/10/03 03:34 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: ive noticed people have just ducked in and ducked out of this thread. So in the next update I will only include only the proven active members.

Yea thats what i want, just members. Real members

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 04:28:48

We still need a resolution bigger than 600x300.
how bout 600x400?
discuss this...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 04:45:03

At 11/10/03 04:28 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: We still need a resolution bigger than 600x300.
how bout 600x400?
discuss this...

Yea, i think that will work. Its a good size. Before the hight was to short. Yea i say go with 600x400

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 06:36:54

Could I help animate or do cut scenes? I would really like to get involved in this project.

I could create some of the puzzle peices for the level maker and some characters.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 06:43:22

At 11/10/03 06:36 AM, Ensain wrote: Could I help animate or do cut scenes? I would really like to get involved in this project.

I could create some of the puzzle peices for the level maker and some characters.

Yea you could make some puzzle peices right now if you want.
They need to be 3 grid sqares by 3 grid sqares each.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 06:45:56

the grid depends on what u set it to. usually 18px...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 06:51:24

Yea the basic grid size. 18px

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 07:45:35

At 11/10/03 06:45 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: the grid depends on what u set it to. usually 18px...

Ok, just checking up this morning..18 pixels eh? I believe you mentioned the movement for a character would make him move for 30 pixels every time? I'm not sure...about the screen resolution..yes, I do think that 600x400 is definately better. From now on, the set resolution of the screen for the game shall be 600x400. MrRombie, I would like to thank you again for fixing up the new site. It looks incredibly sweet!!!! Thewaste, thank you so much for trying to help mantain order around here. I greatly appreciate it. SlackerSoHa, your character looks really sweet, and I wouldn't mind using for the game. However, in order to be able to use him, we need a 45 degree view of him in 4 directions: him facing up, down, left and right (as well as a short walking animation for each direction.) 45 degree angle is the angle you see in pokemon for gameboy, link to the past for snes, or look under my profile and play solar shadow, that will give you an idea. It's a view that's not from the top or the front either. Kkind of in between. Finally, MrRombie, the saving system is most likely going to use cookies. Tthis won't come until later though, but it's going to be pretty hard in order to save the game with them. If someone finds out which cookie it is, they can modify it and cheat. If we do make cookies, we're going to have to hide them really well or encrypt them so that people can't read them. We'll worry about that later though. Sorry that I can't stay longer, I have school for now. I'll be back in about 7 hours or so. Bye guys.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 07:50:39

Hey! theres a chatroom set up on the web-site, if you see this, log on and we can talk.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 07:52:10

At 11/10/03 07:50 AM, MrRombie wrote: Hey! theres a chatroom set up on the web-site, if you see this, log on and we can talk.

http://www.freewebs.com/nggroupproject/chatroom.htm

sorry to double post

Response to Great idea 2003-11-10 08:19:18

Thanks for the site again rombie. its spiffy like no-ones business!

MrRombie> man, this would be so easyer if we lived like right next door to each other, and where we could brainstorm
TheWaste> or I could simply order you to deliver me pancakes!

hehehe