00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

urdad514 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,772 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 00:52:00

btw - heres an idea i had for the battle system view / engine.
its not exactly a final and its missing -- everything. it really only shows the concept of battle.

http://www.geocities.com/thewasteofwebspace/madness.JPG

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 01:06:34

At 11/7/03 12:40 AM, SickDeathFiend wrote: ng-jam's coming out soon :)

err. what?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 01:19:34

Should I draw Wade Fulp? I can cook up a couple smalltime characters. I've got a person that we might be able to use for one of the customizable character selections. So what is going on with the group account? Is that just not going to happen?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 01:28:28

At 11/7/03 01:06 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote:
At 11/7/03 12:40 AM, SickDeathFiend wrote: ng-jam's coming out soon :)
err. what?

something similar to this has just been done, by me and some other top 50 rated artists.. will be out in a few. :) w00t :D

Bringing the violence back to NG, one flash at a time..

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 01:42:02

At 11/7/03 01:19 AM, SlackerSoHa wrote: Should I draw Wade Fulp? I can cook up a couple smalltime characters. I've got a person that we might be able to use for one of the customizable character selections. So what is going on with the group account? Is that just not going to happen?

We dont need to worry about the group account, that should come later, once where done with the game, or vary close to completing it.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 02:02:33

Here is a person I drew a long while ago... I dunno if it works with the style we are trying to use with this game. Anyway, take a look.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 02:05:10

The group account ... I (now) doubt it would be possible. Even with the admins knowing about it. They have too much on their plate already to even note our existance.

And I appriciate the effort, but please stray away from the original charicters. this is the Newgrounds RPG... therefore we're looking for popular charicters to play the roles of everything.

I wont be back for a while so you guys have about 20 minutes to message me before I go. Ill be gone until this time tomorow, or longer.

The waste.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 02:30:57

im gone. cyas tomorow

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 07:46:54

At 11/7/03 12:49 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: I think it would be better to use customizable NG charicters... but I suppose if you win as one of those charicters it doesnt really feel like you were the one to win the game as yourself. So theres some good and bad points, but you do make a valid point. Its really ruthlesses call.

Well I was sorta hoping there would be more than 3 shops... :P

A-bot should sell you CD's to use as battle music for your game, and P-bot should guard the portal. :P I like toad as the smuggler. Can you please submit a URL of a editable vector file (not a macro freehand file please) so we can store it and keep it in the game for later use.

speaking of which, does anyone have a server we could use to store files? it would not require much traffic (around 20MB a day, tops!), and only 100MB (at an absolute maximum) of filespace

The way I thought of it, every town will provide different shops, weapons, and items you can use, depending on the area. But in the deeper areas of the towns, like backstreets, there will be fights and such. And how will the skill system work? Do you just earn skills like spells? or do you work on abilitys and level them up... because that would be hard... same with modified weapons (if your thinking of like, things to add weapon damage, improve accuracy, etc...)

Thank you for posting ideas. we need more... we cant just run with whatever I say -- we need variety to choose from and people to judge others ideas like I just did. If you do judge an idea, try not to bias it with your own concepts, rather, point out flaws and difficulties in it, along with positive points to back it up.

the waste

Well, about the character issue...that's a really tough one...I mean, even though playing as a normal, customizable character seems really good so does playing with an established artist. Maybe we can make people have an option of either one. Just in case people want to play as 'themselves' we can have just a normal character and the player will be able to input their name, etc.

About the 3 shops, those can be the shops available at The Portal location. Every town can have its own unique shops instead.

I really love that smuggler Toad pic, so I think that he should be used in something for the game...Maybe he can be an enemy or he could be a smuggler working in the 'underground' , a special shop for buying really good, illegal items. I don't know :P

About the server...my friend uses one called 50free.com, which hosts up to 50 megs, and allows 500 meg traffic, plus other stuff. The only problem is that the upload is through ftp so Ii don't know if that's something people will have trouble with..

About the battle system and all, we still have to think of all the details yet. I think that we should get the town layouts finished before starting the battle system. Ii have to go to school now, but I'll be back hopefully by 3:30 (7 and a half hours) or a bit later. Thanks to everyone for the help! When I get more time we can sort more things out!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 11:08:36

dudes, i got like 100 sounds of rifles and all, ask me when needed

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 11:44:05

This probably has nothing to do with anything but heres a pic of a weird character:

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 20:39:57

At 11/7/03 11:44 AM, mexxa wrote: This probably has nothing to do with anything but heres a pic of a weird character:

I just have to ask...Wat is that a drawing of?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 21:04:25

Hey people. I am on the phone with RuthlessBastard at the moment. Seroiusly, he lives on the street beside mine.

Here is what he says:

Sorry to everyone that i haven't posted yet. I have been pretty busy today, but I have the whole day off tomorrow to work on the project. I am still trying to figure out if we should use an established artist(s) or a default character. I managed to get a very nice hitTest script from a friend that is willing to help out on the programming. I am starting on the cut-scene, but I am not sure which Tom we should use (The one I drew or the other one). Also, just incase, I started drawing a default character for the game. Even if we don't use him for a character, we can still use him for the game in some other area. I'll post everything that I've done today by tomorrow. I hope you guys keep reading this topic because I will be updating every so often. Thanks to everyone who has posted their art as well, I'm sure we will be using all of those in the game. Thanks again, I will be on tomorrow.

That's it! C ya.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 21:14:05

I think that we should let the player have a large selection of skins to choose from. Maybe let them choose from an original character draw by one of us, or maybe one of the madness poeple, or a stick figure. I don't know how hard it would be to make this kind of program though.
By the way, I can't find out who to e-mail to get permission to use the Clock Crew. Is there anyone else I can ask that we are sure we will use?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-07 22:33:21

Hey, everybody. Yo, it's about 10:30PM here, and I have just finished makin a character in Flash. It looks pretty cool doesn't it? I'm wondering if we could use him for one of the playable characters, or maybe justa character in the game. If we do make game view like Pokemon, or I would like to also call it "Link To The Past" style, could someone take that character and turn it into a walking character, basically like a sprite, if that is what we use. Well here it is:

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 00:32:12

Good news you guys. I made some weapons for the project. I know that ppl have already made some, but I think these will still help out alot.

-Peace
Cheapo2002

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 00:37:41

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PS: I can send the .fla file that has the guns in it to RuthlessBastard or MrRombie or whoever needs it for better resolution. (sorry for double post kinda.)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 00:52:12

At 11/8/03 12:32 AM, Cheapo2002 wrote: Good news you guys. I made some weapons for the project. I know that ppl have already made some, but I think these will still help out alot.

It looks like you just stole them (most of them) from Madness.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 01:23:21

At 11/8/03 12:52 AM, CrookedAsterisk wrote:
At 11/8/03 12:32 AM, Cheapo2002 wrote: Good news you guys. I made some weapons for the project. I know that ppl have already made some, but I think these will still help out alot.
It looks like you just stole them (most of them) from Madness.

Yea, because the .fla for the madness game is on his web-site, and you could of just downloaded them. (im not like calleding you a thief or anything, because you might of just made them yourself, by looking at his weapons.)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 02:51:05

At 11/7/03 11:08 AM, TankyStudios wrote: dudes, i got like 100 sounds of rifles and all, ask me when needed

Thanks tanky, they could be handy.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 03:04:06

At 11/7/03 11:44 AM, mexxa wrote: This probably has nothing to do with anything but heres a pic of a weird character:

you gotta be joking right?!!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 03:11:52

-Peace
Cheapo2002

cheapo. I understand you were trying to help out and all, and maybe you were just getting weapons to use for the madness world in the game. But you cant take credit for actually making those weapons -- they are identical to those of Krinkles. And if no one here believes they are stolen, heres both the images:
(note: I had to trace bitmap them, sorry)

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 03:47:09

I got bored and re-created bassprojects charicter.
enjoi

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 04:23:14

At 11/8/03 03:47 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: I got bored and re-created bassprojects charicter.
enjoi

wow, that looks pretty good. possible main person? hmm...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 06:02:04

Is there any artwork that can be done right now?
I have tons of free time now because court and shit it over. So ill be able to do anything you guys want right now.

So just tell me what you want done for like concept artwork so we can have a better view and so its easyer to work on, because we will now what we want.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 06:19:59

Are we doing anime for the style of artwork? well if we are i can do that too.
Heres just a basic face and eyes i did seconds ago.
Also i can do all most all types of art. So just tell me so i can start doing consept art.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 06:40:43

Naw, I dont think anime is a good idea. I mean, I love anime animation -- but its too unique to incorperate into a game thats gonna be hard enough to have a consistant style already. I just got bored and remade his charicter is all :P

but your right -- we'd all like something to do.
its your call now ruthless.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 06:42:36

At 11/8/03 06:19 AM, MrRombie wrote: Are we doing anime for the style of artwork? well if we are i can do that too.
Also i can do all most all types of art. So just tell me so i can start doing consept art.

btw rombie - that is a really good anime face. But most anime artists make the eyes at least one length of an eye apart ^^
(what am i saying : i dunno shit bout anime)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 06:45:13

At 11/8/03 06:42 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote:
At 11/8/03 06:19 AM, MrRombie wrote: Are we doing anime for the style of artwork? well if we are i can do that too.
btw rombie - that is a really good anime face. But most anime artists make the eyes at least one length of an eye apart ^^
(what am i saying : i dunno shit bout anime)

yea, i dont know too much about anime. Just that they have big eyes. and HUGE tear dops fall from there forehead.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-08 10:01:01

At 11/8/03 03:47 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: I got bored and re-created bassprojects charicter.
enjoi

hey, that looks way cool. And to everyone else: if most of us think that this would be good for a like, a co-main character, keep on re-creating them, and post them on the bbs. I'm might post my work later on today, but i have to go somewhere today. I'll be gone in about 3 hours from now. I mite post something inbetween then, but i dunno. C ya later