00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cupf1sh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Altered Reality Colab

69,635 Views | 1,732 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:01:55

At 7/31/05 02:59 PM, dusty_h wrote: looking good, and yeah ouch, alot of movements to keep in mind every single frame. thats why i tried keeping my robot fairly simple... but i guess being too simple isn't gonna get you the glory eh.

Bingo. You win a cookie! :) You guys all have 4 weeks to work on this thing. Put your heart into it and we will get front page for sure.

Visit JackSmack.com and submit your Flash Games!

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:05:46

At 7/31/05 03:01 PM, -snare- wrote:
At 7/31/05 02:56 PM, JackSmack wrote:

Oh check this out my robot is walking... still roughing it in, just showing you how much of a pain in the ass it is to get this guy movin. http://img323.images..alkcycleangle0yk.swf

Pretty nice, it's a little choppy, but thats probably because there are non coloured in parts imbweteen, the characters nice and bold too, I like it

Do we all have to do exactly the same robot though, or just the scale?

Aztec, we should do ours, you end somewhere on the same bg as mine starts, the camera just shifts over, or we could do something even better, I got some ideas already.

Ya it's choppy still have about 20 more drawings to do on this walk cycle.

You do NOT have to do the same robot. You can do anything you want as long as you start with the idea of "escape from the robot" You could even have alot of robots if you wanted. I'm not limiting you guys.

OH and by the way guys thanks for joining the collab. I've learned alot about setting up a team already... it's alot of work. Just in case you were wondering I will more than likely do another collab after this one. not right away but soon after this one is done.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:07:30

Oooh, this will be fun then =D

So fbf > tween

And any robots, do they have to be on the ground?

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:08:40

Pretty cool. I'm making my dude FBF not my bot. The thing I learned from animation is that the more work u put into it the more u get out of it. Thus meanin this collab is going to rank high. Think Frontpage yall.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:35:50

That's the spirit guys.

Anyone else want to join the collab? We have 9 spots still available.

Please submit samples of your work on the forum if you would like to join.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:39:13

robots in the air/flying robots? sounds like an interesting twist to me.

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 15:50:52

Thats what I got in mine!

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 16:37:50

At 7/31/05 03:39 PM, dusty_h wrote: robots in the air/flying robots? sounds like an interesting twist to me.

Yeah you can do that. Saves having to animate walk cycles... but they had better be really cool looking and stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 17:40:06

My animatic is Done! Just imagine a fiery apocolyptic city backdrop and everything is a a washed down grayish color like the robot. Remember this is just the animatic but I still want some opinions on it.
http://img25.imagesh..mage=animatic6qs.swf

~Starr Out~

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 17:52:50

At 7/31/05 05:40 PM, Tystarr wrote: My animatic is Done! Just imagine a fiery apocolyptic city backdrop and everything is a a washed down grayish color like the robot. Remember this is just the animatic but I still want some opinions on it.

~Starr Out~

Nice one. Be sure to make the explosion easier to read in the full version. You also might think about making the robot pop a little more because it looks like a bunch of grass when you have all the heads come in.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 18:00:53

At 7/31/05 05:52 PM, JackSmack wrote:
At 7/31/05 05:40 PM, Tystarr wrote: My animatic is Done! Just imagine a fiery apocolyptic city backdrop and everything is a a washed down grayish color like the robot. Remember this is just the animatic but I still want some opinions on it.

~Starr Out~
Nice one. Be sure to make the explosion easier to read in the full version. You also might think about making the robot pop a little more because it looks like a bunch of grass when you have all the heads come in.

Lol, Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely fix that up. The explosion will be way better than this cuz for one it will be in color and secondly I looked at your special effects tutorial a couple of times in the past^_^ .The heads will also come in differently and have diff shades and sizes to show depth.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 18:01:16

Heres my front view running fbf. Wow this is the most fbf I've ever really done lmao, at least human template-wise.

http://img175.images..hp?image=meow1hz.swf

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 18:51:06

At 7/31/05 06:01 PM, True_Darkness wrote: Heres my front view running fbf. Wow this is the most fbf I've ever really done lmao, at least human template-wise.

Um... Darkness, don't take this the wrong way or anything... but he really looks kinda like a penis... perhaps I'm wrong... but it does look pretty odd for some reason. not bad... just odd.

Can you try giving the head on your guy (not your penis) more attention? Perhaps giving him a neck will make him seem more human. also another option you might think of is pants... unless you are going for a terminator/vibrator animation. In which case you hit the nail on the head.

All kidding aside. He does look kinda stiff. Try adding pants and a neck of some kind.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 18:55:37

At 7/31/05 06:51 PM, JackSmack wrote:
At 7/31/05 06:01 PM, True_Darkness wrote: Heres my front view running fbf. Wow this is the most fbf I've ever really done lmao, at least human template-wise.

Um... Darkness, don't take this the wrong way or anything... but he really looks kinda like a penis... perhaps I'm wrong... but it does look pretty odd for some reason. not bad... just odd.

Can you try giving the head on your guy (not your penis) more attention? Perhaps giving him a neck will make him seem more human. also another option you might think of is pants... unless you are going for a terminator/vibrator animation. In which case you hit the nail on the head.

All kidding aside. He does look kinda stiff. Try adding pants and a neck of some kind.

Well, im trying to go for a human template kind of thing. I really don't understand how he loooks like a penis... The neck got screwed up Ik, I'll try and fix that, but the pants I won't do because its sort of like a human template like I said, and I want the figure, no clothing, you know what I mean. I'll do something about the neck though.

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 18:59:00

Ok the no clothes thing makes sense to me now. if you want to see what I mean try taking your hands and covering his arms up as he walks. Not bad for one of your early FBF works though.

By the way I changed my sig to try to get more artists if anyone else wants to do the same I would appriciate it. especially if you post in alot of popular threads.

Thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:08:43

well, I've made a neck, pretty much. I hope that makes it a bit better.

http://img281.images..hp?image=meow0lq.swf

oh and don't worry, in the actual flash it will look good, i promise, I already know exactly what Im doing :)

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:17:25

At 7/31/05 07:08 PM, True_Darkness wrote: well, I've made a neck, pretty much. I hope that makes it a bit better.

oh and don't worry, in the actual flash it will look good, i promise, I already know exactly what Im doing :)

I think that looks alot better just with that little change. I am confidant that you will smooth it out.

I hope you know I am only trying to help ya. If you need any pointers on animation ask me if you like I have a degree in the stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:22:36

So I was wondering If I should start on the full version of my part now?

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:24:56

At 7/31/05 07:17 PM, JackSmack wrote:
At 7/31/05 07:08 PM, True_Darkness wrote: well, I've made a neck, pretty much. I hope that makes it a bit better.

I think that looks alot better just with that little change. I am confidant that you will smooth it out.

I hope you know I am only trying to help ya. If you need any pointers on animation ask me if you like I have a degree in the stuff.

no problem, thanks a lot, I know your animating skills are very very good. I've seen you in the thread helping people a lot, thanks for the advice and kindness :)

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:28:56

Yo TrueDarkness I was lookin at ya site and u had exactly what I had. An account on FreeWebs and a site name through .tk. Did you know u can disable that ad when u enter ur site?

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:30:14

At 7/31/05 07:22 PM, Tystarr wrote: So I was wondering If I should start on the full version of my part now?

go ahead and get started I'm not going to hold you back, but just know that by working as a team we can all make each other's work better. So please don't do a one nighter and slap it down and say done.

Put your work in progress up on the forum. Nothing is better at pushing a person to success than feedback.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:36:19

Yeah, its going to take time. I want this to be hot. I don't want to be the one to bring the score down. I might ask u a lot of animating questions through this whole project so I can improve on this. Like for the running cycle should I just fbf it on the main timeline or in a movieclip then tween it?

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 19:43:48

At 7/31/05 07:36 PM, Tystarr wrote: Yeah, its going to take time. I want this to be hot. I don't want to be the one to bring the score down. I might ask u a lot of animating questions through this whole project so I can improve on this. Like for the running cycle should I just fbf it on the main timeline or in a movieclip then tween it?

The way I found that works best for me is to do the animatic and get the rough scale and position of the character or object that you are going to loop.

Copy and paste the character/object into a NEW Flash file. Save it as whatever the animation will be... I.E. my robot animation is called "Robotwalkcycleangle.fla"

Basicly by working with nothing else on the screen it makes it easier for me to work... sometimes I include a background for proportion.

complex animations like a "Dive&Roll" should be done on the main timeline with everything there. just so it looks right.

walk cycles and other looping animations should be put into a symbol But a really great trick to use is make the symbol a GRAPHIC not a movie clip. That way when you slide through the MAIN timeline of your movie you don't just have the first fram of your movie clip sitting there. Try it if you haven't before, it is VERY USEFULL.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 20:11:31

ok well, I've updated mine just a bit, I'm almost near completion! w00t. I'll probably add effects after the movie is done, and then maybe add more. I have 4 weeks so I want to put as much effor into it as I can.

Heres what I have so far!

http://www.putfile.c..php?n=robot-sketches

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 20:17:24

At 7/31/05 07:43 PM, JackSmack wrote:
walk cycles and other looping animations should be put into a symbol But a really great trick to use is make the symbol a GRAPHIC not a movie clip. That way when you slide through the MAIN timeline of your movie you don't just have the first fram of your movie clip sitting there. Try it if you haven't before, it is VERY USEFULL.

So make it into a graphic and for each frame on the main timeline change the graphic's frame? Thats a cool way of using symbols i didn't think of. Thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 20:45:00

At 7/31/05 08:17 PM, Tystarr wrote:
At 7/31/05 07:43 PM, JackSmack wrote:
So make it into a graphic and for each frame on the main timeline change the graphic's frame? Thats a cool way of using symbols i didn't think of. Thanks.

Um not quite... if you put a graphic that has more than one frame in it it will play like a movie clip when you run your animations...

BUT them big difference is while you are working on the movie and are scrubbing through the timeline. You can see your movie clips animation.

Try this to see what I mean. Make a movie clip symbol and put something animated in it like a ball or something.

Make a duplicate Movie clip symbol and change it's setting from movie clip to GRAPHIC (in the same place you tell it to act as a button)

Now scrub through the timeline... The GRAPHIC animates the movie clip doesn't. It's very useful when working with several symbols that are animated.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 20:53:09

A little addition for MX... since I don't use MX I had to check it. select the movie clip go to the properties tab where it says movie clip set it to graphic then to the right of that it will say "Single Frame" in a drop down box. Set it to loop and then the box on the right of that is where you tell it how many times to loop.

I use flash 5 mainly... but I have MX. So I can compile the collab.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 20:58:45

At 7/31/05 08:53 PM, JackSmack wrote: A little addition for MX... since I don't use MX I had to check it. select the movie clip go to the properties tab where it says movie clip set it to graphic then to the right of that it will say "Single Frame" in a drop down box. Set it to loop and then the box on the right of that is where you tell it how many times to loop.

I use flash 5 mainly... but I have MX. So I can compile the collab.

Yeah I use Mx and i was talkin about settin it to graphic and set it to single frame. So for each frame i just change the number next to it so it shows a diff frame. But ur way is better. By the way I'm 25% done on the runnin cycle.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 21:36:02

I got sum work done on my runnin dude. The stick figure is just a skeleton of what I'm goin 2 draw over. Tell me what ya think. Only the first 4 frames are drawn in.

BBS Signature

Response to Altered Reality Colab 2005-07-31 21:37:45

At 7/31/05 09:36 PM, Tystarr wrote: I got sum work done on my runnin dude. The stick figure is just a skeleton of what I'm goin 2 draw over. Tell me what ya think. Only the first 4 frames are drawn in.

You didn't post a link.

BBS Signature