00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

XxarachnidfelinexX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

423,150 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 12:20:06

At 2/2/05 01:25 PM, carmelhadinosaur wrote: Hey, i might join Kung-Fu, sweeet!!
Anyways, sorry for being dried with my posting :P

Age (optional): 14.1.

Style: Krav Maga.

Rank (optional): Blue belt tommorow, not sure.

Nationality : Israeli.

Years of Eperience: 4.4.

Krav Maga, ze masjehoe Israeliet? Is that that sport they learn in the Army? BTW I have a Israeli coach, and i pretty much am a part of a jewish kickboxing group.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 12:41:43

At 2/3/05 10:30 AM, Letahlity wrote:
At 2/2/05 11:42 PM, -PelvicThrust- wrote: Tae Kwon Do is not a martial art! It is a sport! The only time you can win a fight with it is when your fighting others trained in Tae Kwon Do. YOU ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!
Is that so?
I'd love to introduce you to a couple of badasses down at my dojo, along with myself, but then again, you're just a pathetic keyboard-warrior, so... who cares.

Leth we shouldnt pick on him. Its not his fault he has a 10 foot pole up his ass and is completely biased when it comes to martial arts. And just cause Tae Kwon Do is also considered a sport, doesnt mean its not a martial arts. Almost every martial arts style has competitions so dont try to pull any of that BS on me

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 13:52:12

ive been doing sankuki ( i think thats how you spell it) for 7 years

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 13:54:22

Style: Sankuki karate

Nationality: British

Years of experience: 7

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 14:21:22

Haha I have been to several Tae Kwon Do clubs, and I've defeated their "Masters". My favourite is when then move up to me with their arms pointed down covering their torso and I punch them in the head, then they say "Hey your not aloud to do that!" Wow what a genuine martial art that is.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 14:44:18

At 2/3/05 02:21 PM, -PelvicThrust- wrote: Haha I have been to several Tae Kwon Do clubs, and I've defeated their "Masters". My favourite is when then move up to me with their arms pointed down covering their torso and I punch them in the head, then they say "Hey your not aloud to do that!" Wow what a genuine martial art that is.

What is this "Tae Kwon Do club" of which you speak. Is it on the computer? He thinks since he beat up a little kid in a sparring match that hes got "Mad Skillz". SO then he goes up to someone else and punches in the head in Tae Kwon Do sparring. he punches them in the head as well so he says "Yeah, i got deez mad Skillz yo 1337(i dont know whow he said that) pawnz." However in tournament sparring punching to the head is legal so they just knock him out cold by kicking him in the head three times, backfisting him, then backhooking him in the head till he fell on the ground. When he finally gets up in the hospital 4 days later he says "Hey you cant do that... adurr." The doctor for a minute thought he had brain damage but when they realized he was already like that they just punch him in the face. End.

Totally unrelated to that other half of post. In the world of martial arts chuck norris made his own style of martial arts called "Chuck Kwon Do". In Korean that meas "The art of chucks foot. " WHo agrees that chuck Norris is a retard?

O and to the new guy(not pelvic, hes not alowed in) welcome to the club. Please put a link to the club in your sig. And remember to come back. So continue NRs question on why you joined martial arts.

O and to the new people the heads of the club are me, shin, leth, and nr if he still wants to be an elder.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 14:52:33

Style: Tae-Kwon-Do

Nationality: Dutch

Years of experience: 0

Yeah, I just started off... It seems pretty tough though.. Any advice for training things like tulls and techniques (sp?)?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 14:57:01

At 2/3/05 02:52 PM, deltree wrote:
Yeah, I just started off... It seems pretty tough though.. Any advice for training things like tulls and techniques (sp?)?

No matter how good you get dont get cocky, because being cocky makes you think you have no weakness, and without knowing your weakness you will never improve.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 15:08:18

At 2/3/05 02:44 PM, dsmking wrote: A bunch of lame shit.

Look buddy I dont give a shit if it's legal in a tournament to punch in the head, when you train its not aloud, therefore Tae Kwon Do is worthless in any sort of fight except your special tournaments. This "Club" I speak of is the White Tiger Tae Kwon Do Academy. Their "master" was Master Desjardin, not some little kid I punched in the head. The only one that defeated me in that club was Grand Master Jung Sug. He trained in Thailand for 2 years, he beat me because of his speed, not his style. I don't care if you dont let me in your little club, I just want everyone to know that you will get your ass handed to you if you try to fight some one with Tae Kwon Do.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 15:08:41

At 2/3/05 02:57 PM, dsmking wrote:
At 2/3/05 02:52 PM, deltree wrote:
No matter how good you get dont get cocky, because being cocky makes you think you have no weakness, and without knowing your weakness you will never improve.

Thanks, I'll remind that.. Though I'm not known to be cocky about anything I'm good.. Nor do I think I'll ever be able reach any rank or whatever to be cocky about.. But I'm sure as hell to try my best..

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 15:34:32

At 2/3/05 03:08 PM, deltree wrote:
Thanks, I'll remind that.. Though I'm not known to be cocky about anything I'm good.. Nor do I think I'll ever be able reach any rank or whatever to be cocky about.. But I'm sure as hell to try my best..

Please do. I know alot of people that are way to cocky for their own good, and when they teach they look down on the students. I hate that so much. Don't say you wont be good though. You control that yourself and thinking like that you wont ever get good. But I'm glad you said youll try your best cause that is what a martial artist, not skill, not rank, not who you can beat, just how you think.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 16:10:58

At 2/3/05 03:08 PM, -PelvicThrust- wrote: A bunch of lame shit.

And...
I just want everyone to know that you will get your ass handed to you if you try to fight some one with Tae Kwon Do.

So... you're trying to tell us something? Give us some grand lesson?
Sorry, you're being a generalizing spoiled [insert your country here] swine if you think that cause you punched some guy who owns a TKD school in America (the biggest hotspot of all McDojo's), you can finish all the really good guys off?

You go into a TKD school in Korea, walk up to the most senior member of their dojang, slap him, and you'll see if he puts on a spinning roundhouse kick with a slick spin at the end, or if he'll plant his foot knee-deep up your ass.

Martial arts ends up being about what it was founded for.
Fighting.
That's the direction I've choosen. Not to do some half-assed kata's/poomses all day long thinking i'll get something out of it.
I'm not denying that the build of your body is important in fighting.
I'm not saying there is any pressure points or what so ever crap.
I'm saying that when I go into practice, my one and only goal is to be able to defeat whatever enemy i'll have infront of me.
I don't believe in some shitty spirituality in martial arts.
Before you open your goddamn mouth and babble, you have to kick your enemy's ass.

I'm not biased to TKD.
In a few years, i'll be able to take Muay Thai and so on.
I can tell where the lines goes.
Where it's "bullshit techniques" and real, functioning techniques.
I wouldn't try anything that doesn't work.
I practice punching just as much as my kicking, for that matter.
I don't get to apply it in practice, fine.
I'm on your side in one way. There are alot of fucking BS out there in McDojo's, and truely, since TKD ended up pretty big, it has falled victim to this.

Do. Not. Generalize.
Good day to you too.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 17:18:01

At 2/3/05 04:10 PM, Letahlity wrote: a bunch of in your face shit

Leth i dont belong to a McDojos so dont say all american schools are like that. Im hurt, seriously, :p

Leth you have chosen to take the physical route of TKD like we all do. But you will learn the higher you go it turns into more of the philosophical sense. Ask your master, he probably now studys more of the philosophy of it, but still the physical part of it as well.

I agree with you about practicing kicks and moves that are just for show. I personally don't like them. Things like 540 kick i would never use in a fight, but it helps improve your spin and i mainly learned it to shut this one guy up. The farthest spin i would go in a fight is 360 thats it.

I practice my punches with the elastic ropes. It helps build technique and stregnth. What you do is you get a stand alone target and wrap the elastic around. Make sure that you dont wrap all the way around but more like a C. Then you wrap each end around your hands while looking away from the target. Punch as slowly as possible and pull in and out at the same time. O ya and be in a Choom choom sagi(keem-as-a, horseback riding) stance while doing it. You'll start to feel it real soon.

And leth i doubt he actually beat anyone so it doesnt matter

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 19:22:20

"-PelvicThrust- (hilarious name though..)

Obviously, you dislike Tae Kwon Do. Why?
Tae Kwon Do IS martial arts as same as Gung-Fu is, Gong Fu or Kung Fu. You might have not noticed they are only synonymes. It's the same as you try to fight about how Tae Kwon Do is written the right way.. It is common for Tae Kwon Do to be written Taekwon-Do, Tae Kwondo, Taekwondo or even apparently T'aegwondo.
Ok, back to why TDK is martial arts. Let me post this neat defintion taken out of Encyclopedia Britannica:

martial art : any of various fighting sports or skills, mainly of East Asian origin, such as kung fu, judo, karate, and kendo etc.
tae kwon do : (Korean: “art of kicking and punching”), Korean art of unarmed combat that is based on the earlier form of Korean self-defense known as tae kyon and on karate. The name tae kwon do was officially adopted for this martial art in 1955 after that name had been submitted by the South Korean general Choi Hong Hi, the principal founder of tae kwon do.

Ok, you say, Britannica does not know anything about martial arts, right? Well.... tough. So, but you say, the whole World Taekwondo Federation are a bunch of dumbasses, right? Because ... hm... somehow they declare their style as martial arts. How comes, because somebody relies on his opinion that TDK is just making silly kinky circus attraction shows. Right? Go to the WTF's president and tell him. Let's see what he'll tell you.

Well, but I do share the opinion that it is a sport. Like Gung Fu is a sport, too.
A litlle look to what sports is defined: recreational or competitive activities that involve a degree of physical strength or skill.

Amazing, right?

+++"The only time you can win a fight with it is when your fighting others trained in Tae Kwon Do. YOU ALL SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!"+++
Uhm. No. You should be.
If've seen a lot of mixed fights. And you know what? Taekwondo guys won against the Jujitsu guys, but lost against Muay Thai. The Gung Fu guys got defeated by Capoeira guys, because of totally unexpected and unkwon moves.
What's the lesson? Mastering one style is one thing, but knowing other styles is the key, because you might know how to handle the next opponent's move.

+++"Haha I have been to several Tae Kwon Do clubs, and I've defeated their "Masters". My favourite is when then move up to me with their arms pointed down covering their torso and I punch them in the head, then they say "Hey your not aloud to do that!" Wow what a genuine martial art that is."++++

Yes, you're right, in a TDK tournament it is prohibited to hit the opponent’s face with the hand (fist), wrist, arm, or elbow. I find it dumb, too. But this goes along with the actual mentallity of TDK.
BUT, those one's you have fought with are stupid. First of all, I know a different kind of start off position than pointing my arms down covering my torso... that's a stupid position, because... like you did because the head was not covered, you punched them. Second, blaaaaaaa, yeah yeah. they sould be maters, right? How comes that the masses of masters you want to have defeated were so slow and could not block your attack? I mean, ok.. they might not have expected coming, because this face punch is not allowed (which I must say is silly..), BUT nevertheless they have eyes and should be kinda experienced... they should have been able to block...

Besides, there are rules in Muay Thai where you're prohibited to kick the nuts of your opponent. Hey, killing is not allowed in Kung Fu, too.

So, you seriously make up your whole mind about TDK, because of one silly and annoying rule? Or maybe, you want to have 'your'chosen martial arts styles as the best and everything else is crap, right?
I don't like Judo, because I find this throwing around and grabbing pretty much annoying. But I still beware respect and don't say it's not worth anything.
And besides... I never needed a head punch to defeat someone.

In one way, I can agree with you?! if I put your" I just want everyone to know that you will get your ass handed to you if you try to fight some one with Tae Kwon Do" in a slightly other flavour:
It's always better to know more styles.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-03 21:57:12

At 2/3/05 07:22 PM, BeserkerHaeschn wrote: Pelvic thrust getting served once again

Love that very in depth thing. I was gonna do that but i was to lazy and you made it alot better than what i would have done. The only reason he probably made up that shit was because he saw alot of us do tae kwon do.

Another reason why beating someone else with a different style is easier or harder is because its like rock, paper, scissors, in a sense. When you play rock paper scissors one beats another and loses to another over weaknesses or stregnths. Take for example Judo to Karate. Karate is mainly head on attacks so when they go in to attack someone in judo would easily be able to counter. But judo wouldnt be very good against something like Tae Kwon Do since Tae Kwon Do is mainly defensive with offensive moves. However most of the time karate would have an advantage over Tae Kwon Do since it is alot faster with attacking and usually more lethal.

Now that wont work all the time. There are other factors to take in consideration such as skill levels, and skills itself. IN more advanced Tae Kwon Do you do more hapkido so something like Karate wouldnt be as much of a problem. I'm not exactly sure on karate and judo since i havent studied to much of them but im sure they cover up weaknesses higher up with more advanced levels.

Punching is sometimes allowed in sparring. When i was testing for my second dan i learned that. SOmeone kept trying to punch to the head but i simply blocked then later kicked him way too fast to the point where my master told me to go easy on him. He was bigger than me its how i get..... I talked to my master later about it and he said sometimes head punches are allowed as long as it does not hit the face.

dsm signin out

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-04 10:13:53

At 2/3/05 05:18 PM, dsmking wrote: Leth i dont belong to a McDojos so dont say all american schools are like that. Im hurt, seriously, :p

Nah, I know there is. But there's more McDojo's in America then there is in the entire rest of the world alltogether.

Leth you have chosen to take the physical route of TKD like we all do. But you will learn the higher you go it turns into more of the philosophical sense. Ask your master, he probably now studys more of the philosophy of it, but still the physical part of it as well.

Nah... i've choosen not to become a shallow man.
A man who does half-arsed things.
Things that are clearly meant for something else.
I'd like to hear your philosophy about martial arts then.
I used to believe in such things, and to some degree, I still do, but as i've said before:
Before you start to babble about spirituality, you have to kill the enemy in front of you.
Dead men can't preach.

Yep. I doubt it as well, but I have to take it in consideration.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-04 20:13:02

At 2/4/05 10:13 AM, Letahlity wrote:
Nah, I know there is. But there's more McDojo's in America then there is in the entire rest of the world alltogether.

I wont deny this for a second

Nah... i've choosen not to become a shallow man.
A man who does half-arsed things.
Things that are clearly meant for something else.
I'd like to hear your philosophy about martial arts then.
I used to believe in such things, and to some degree, I still do, but as i've said before:
Before you start to babble about spirituality, you have to kill the enemy in front of you.
Dead men can't preach.

How does having a philosophy make you a shallow man. The philosophical sense of Tae Kwon Do is to know when to fight, how to treat others, and how to be a good person. Doesnt make you shallow to fight for what you believe. I know dead men can't preach but that doesnt mean you should only follow half ot TKD.

Yep. I doubt it as well, but I have to take it in consideration.

No you dont. The guys a dick

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-04 22:49:25

Hey Akula/ Carmelhadinosaur,

I need some help with the Color editing on the board. can you help me change the colors to right code number? It seems that the new fade has disappeared ever since I Changed the colors...
Will one of you help me out? If so, thanks in advance.

Semi-Shinro

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-04 23:14:04

The eleven commandments of TKD. Part of its philosophy

1. Loyalty to your country
2. Respect your parents
3. Faithfulness to your spouse
4. Respect your brothers and sisters
5. Loyalty to your friends
6. Respect your elders
7. Respect your teachers
8. Never take life unjustly
9. Indomitable spirt
10. Loyalty to your school
11. Finish what you begin.

This is for everyone. What do you think about this? Please discuss....

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-04 23:22:25

I've been meaning to take up a sulf defence class for a while. I seem to make a lot of enemies (trust me, I dont know how I do it) and I need to loose a little wait. I'm looking for something in speed and defense, preferably some type of grappling style. I dont want to take up things like hung gar and hurt some one, I just want to be able to asirt my self a little more. any suggestions?

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 01:45:27

At 2/4/05 10:49 PM, Semi-Shinro wrote: Hey Akula/ Carmelhadinosaur,

I need some help with the Color editing on the board. can you help me change the colors to right code number? It seems that the new fade has disappeared ever since I Changed the colors...
Will one of you help me out? If so, thanks in advance.

Semi-Shinro

The new style is great!!
What exactly would you like us to change with the colors?
Whatever you need, i'll try and help.
My emaill: emailk13@hotmail.com

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 10:08:52

At 2/4/05 11:22 PM, MasterStalker wrote: I've been meaning to take up a sulf defence class for a while. I seem to make a lot of enemies (trust me, I dont know how I do it) and I need to loose a little wait. I'm looking for something in speed and defense, preferably some type of grappling style. I dont want to take up things like hung gar and hurt some one, I just want to be able to asirt my self a little more. any suggestions?

We do not learn techniques in order to not hurt people.
We do not practice and practice untill we puke blood in order to not hurt people.
We do this in order to hurt people. Acknowledge that much.
You need to set that part of your nature that goes "I don't wish to hurt anyone. Violence is never a solution." aside.
In real life, you have to acknowledge whatever evil inside and be alittle mean.

Self-defence ends up being a bigger mental aspect then something you learn in techniques. Dealing with the adrenaline and controlling yourself and so on.

That said, I think you should try Brazilian Jiu Jiutsu or whatever they call it, short for BJJ. It's pretty neat and focuses alot on grappling and managing takedowns and so fourth.
If you're looking for something that focuses alot on striking, Muay Thai could be a good choice. Or Kickboxing.

Sparring is the best way of learning somewhat self-defence.
Preferably full-contact.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 10:15:04

At 2/4/05 11:14 PM, dsmking wrote: The eleven commandments of TKD. Part of its philosophy

1. Loyalty to your country
2. Respect your parents
3. Faithfulness to your spouse
4. Respect your brothers and sisters
5. Loyalty to your friends
6. Respect your elders
7. Respect your teachers
8. Never take life unjustly
9. Indomitable spirt
10. Loyalty to your school
11. Finish what you begin.

This is for everyone. What do you think about this? Please discuss....

Sure. Those sound alot more like moral or code then anything else.
And I don't wish to adopt anyone else's moral or what so ever.
I don't believe in blindly following something in order to feel safe or whatever.

Don't get me wrong... I have my own ways of enjoying life and dreams of what I wish to do. But if i'm not strong and balanced in life, those dreams and enjoyment means nothing.

And honestly... spirituality won't make that out of me.
I simply find no real peace of mind or striving for peace of mind in martial arts that way anymore.
I need to find it somewhere else.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 13:33:29

At 2/4/05 11:22 PM, MasterStalker wrote: I've been meaning to take up a sulf defence class for a while. I seem to make a lot of enemies (trust me, I dont know how I do it) and I need to loose a little wait. I'm looking for something in speed and defense, preferably some type of grappling style. I dont want to take up things like hung gar and hurt some one, I just want to be able to asirt my self a little more. any suggestions?

Try either judo or hapkido. Both are very good to prevent people and make them wanna stop. However you could also try TKD. TKD does hapkido as well and you learn how to do some stuff in it. You could always try to go to a bunch of different schools and see which is the best for you.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 15:11:15

At 2/5/05 10:08 AM, Letahlity wrote:
We do not learn techniques in order to not hurt people.
We do not practice and practice untill we puke blood in order to not hurt people.
We do this in order to hurt people. Acknowledge that much.
You need to set that part of your nature that goes "I don't wish to hurt anyone. Violence is never a solution." aside.
In real life, you have to acknowledge whatever evil inside and be alittle mean.

Actually I dont want a law suit because a dude tried to hit me so I broke both of his arms and a rib. Besides, most grapples tend to be submissions. I'm pretty sure Submissions are painful if applied properly.

Self-defence ends up being a bigger mental aspect then something you learn in techniques. Dealing with the adrenaline and controlling yourself and so on.

Heres some sad truth, I dont get adrenaline rushes when neccissary. I am an almost emotionless being. with out fear or anger I cant get the neccissary adrenaline to just duke it out.

That said, I think you should try Brazilian Jiu Jiutsu or whatever they call it, short for BJJ. It's pretty neat and focuses alot on grappling and managing takedowns and so fourth.

sweet, is it a common style were I could find a gym around that teaches it or will I have to do some looking.

If you're looking for something that focuses alot on striking, Muay Thai could be a good choice. Or Kickboxing.
Sparring is the best way of learning somewhat self-defence.
Preferably full-contact.

True true,

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 15:21:28

Anybody else here but me know about haidong gumdo. It's huge in Korea. I'm a blue belt in this art. It's a sword art if anyone is asking. It's the original. Before Japan got into it. C ome on someone here, anyone here other than me?

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 15:58:32

At 2/5/05 03:21 PM, dog-boy1 wrote: Anybody else here but me know about haidong gumdo. It's huge in Korea. I'm a blue belt in this art. It's a sword art if anyone is asking. It's the original. Before Japan got into it. C ome on someone here, anyone here other than me?

Never heard of it. Are you sure its the original since Korea's martial arts styles are so mixed up because its been conquered so many times.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-05 16:04:32

. Are you sure its the original since Korea's martial arts styles are so mixed up because its been conquered so many times.

Fairly. my sa bum nim said so and I believe him. Although it sounds dumb most of the things my instructor says I believe.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-06 10:57:36

At 2/5/05 03:11 PM, MasterStalker wrote: Actually I dont want a law suit because a dude tried to hit me so I broke both of his arms and a rib. Besides, most grapples tend to be submissions. I'm pretty sure Submissions are painful if applied properly.

Well, if you're the mad dog you claim to be, you should manage if you broke both of the guy's arms.
But then again, fluke here, fluke there.
There's something in martial arts for everyone.

And yes... submissions hurt like hell. And most fights ends up on the ground these days or in close quarter combat.
However, if you get mugged on the street or so, chances are your opponent has friends with him, preferably sneaking up on you. In wich, you have to stay on your toes.

Heres some sad truth, I dont get adrenaline rushes when neccissary. I am an almost emotionless being. with out fear or anger I cant get the neccissary adrenaline to just duke it out.

Really? Hey, it's better then "freezing" in such a situation.
And if you now manage to stay that calm, you have some good potential in martial arts, cause if you can keep your calm and is a lean mean killingmachine... more power to you.

sweet, is it a common style were I could find a gym around that teaches it or will I have to do some looking.

It's a pretty wide style.
Use Google and search for BJJ and your location.
If you live in a big city there's a high chance there'll be a school for you.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-02-06 17:55:09

If some gang came up to me, I would use a technique that I can actually do. (Run away:))

I took up kenjutsu for self-confidence.....every time one of my parent laughs at me trying it, I just try harder. If you've actually got anyone trying to hurt you, self-defence is good....but as someone said, you don't learn it to lower your ability to hurt. Even if I claim my kenjutsu to be based on self-confidence, I'm still essentially teaching myself how to kill people.