00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day!

11,990 Views | 33 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 11:32:46

Happy Clock Day everyone! Today we're celebrating 18 years since @StrawberryClock got B through the Portal. The shock of B passing judgment gave rise to the Clock Crew and movies like this. Since then, B has been screened as part of an NG retrospective at the Animation Breakdown Festival in LA, the Ottawa International Animation Festival and the GLAS Animation Festival in Berkeley.

Speaking of which, GLAS Animation Next is coming to Philly and I’ll be introducing the screening at PhilaMOCA on September 29th!

Sprite Draw Winners

This month we hosted a SpriteDraw Art Contest, to promote the fun SpriteDraw tool by @idrawbutts. This contest received a ton of imaginative entries and it was really difficult to pick our top three. In the end we tried to go with the ones that delighted us the most when comparing the source sprite to the final character design.

Three Faves ($20 each)

We enjoyed all of the entries by @Knickinator, who is receiving a year of honorary Supporter status. These three pieces all came up in the judging process:

We’re also giving each of these runner-ups a month of honorary Supporter status if they don’t already have it:

Thank you @JohnnyUtah, @Sabtastic, @IvanAlmighty and @PhantomArcade for help with judging, although our lists were all very different, making this a tough one!

Shout out to @Sabtastic for being an early SpriteDraw adopter and encouraging others to give it a try with this phenomenal piece:

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone who participated!

NEAR DEADline Art Contest

NEAR DEADline is a new game by @NickConter, @BrandyBuizel @Carmet and they are hosting an art contest here on NG!

NEAR DEADline has a drawing tool built into the title screen and the contest is to draw something and share it in this thread. Three winners will receive a year of honorary Supporter status!

Other Contests

There is also a Music Inspired Art contest in progress and a contest to Illustrate Characters for the winning story entry in our OG NG Character Writing Contest.

Musicians: Check out the Remix Contest!

Support Goals

Speaking of which, NG is 209 Supporters away from removing all ads from E-M art view pages for (at least) the remainder of 2019! The goal for this milestone is 2,750 active supporters on the Wall of Honor

If Newgrounds could achieve 4,000 active supporters by the end of 2019 it would be a huge help in 2020, after a year of rising hosting costs. I know 4k isn’t realistic but we’ll take what we can get and hope for the best. Be mindful that additional support will always improve NG’s long-term prospects.

A lot of us saw this week is that Yahoo-parent Verizon sold Tumblr for under $3 million, six years after Yahoo paid $1 billion for it. People are joking about how they could have raised enough money to buy it themselves but keep in mind Tumblr is retaining 200 employees. The new owners will likely spend over $1 million per month to keep Tumblr running. Newgrounds might not be as big as Tumblr but I think we’re doing a pretty good job, given our resources!

I also learned this past week that ByteDance, the owners of Tik Tok, spent $1 billion advertising Tik Tok in 2018. It’s crazy when you consider the money being spent by these platforms and I hope it makes supporting Newgrounds for $3 a month sound totally reasonable. Newgrounds is 100% independent, has been a consistent home to artists for over 20 years and isn’t doing weird things with your personal data. We don’t even want to run ads and with a little luck we won’t need to some day. 

So there’s my pitch for today! Please consider becoming a Supporter!

iu_47096_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

HAPPY CLOCK DAY AND CONGRATS TO ALL THE WINNERS! Also great about the contests going on all the time. It really makes me feel happy seeing that something new is always happening.

Also firstn't.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 11:45:06

At 8/15/19 11:42 AM, EvilAntonioUTTP wrote: LOL Happy Clock Day Tom!

Damn you!

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 11:58:09

Damn, GLAS in PhilaMOCA just when I'll be leaving NJ for school. A cool festival and a great location, wish I could go!

Happy Clock Day everyone.

Happy I could throw together some old projects last night to have something for this year's Clock Day. It was interesting digging through my old files on my ancient laptop.

clock......B........

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 12:16:35

WTF is Clock Day? Sounds ridiculous.

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 12:20:05

Congrats to the Sprite Draw winners! I was hoping to see LittleLuckyLink here since he made some good features, but I feel like this one was heavily slept on

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 12:37:17

Happy Clock Day!

All these Sprite Draw entries are insane so far and salute for Knickinator entries.

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 13:48:06

At 8/15/19 01:44 PM, Dootz wrote: @VinegarDude this here is why you have supporter status.

Thanks for letting me know.

Thought it was just something else.

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 14:18:22

B is now 18 years old

We can legally fuck B

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 14:31:07

Nice!! Congrats to all of the Sprite Draw winners! Big thanks to the judges for the shoutout + supporter gift, and big thanks to @idrawbutts for starting the prompt! I had an absurd amount of fun with the event!

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 15:50:42

SpriteDraw was epic, and a lot of fun too. Lots of super awesome and unique works here, and I can definitely see myself using the tool in the future for more projects! Thanks for the month of supporter fun, too! I've been meaning to upgrade my account eventually but things have been a little tight financial-wise on my part. Glad to finally be able to capitalize the "LuckyLink" part of my username xD

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 16:29:33

It was a fun event thingy, first time I participate on anything here

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 16:48:58

Another year, another Clock Day! Happy Clock Day one and all!

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 18:13:13

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

enter hyperspace.

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 18:29:51

HAPPY CLOCK DAY FAM!

iu_47220_1658435.gif

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-15 23:32:47

A very Happy Clock Day to all! Remember, StrawberryClock is King of the Portal- not just today, but for all time.

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-16 00:25:48

nobody gives a shit about the clock crew anymore tom just let it go

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-16 01:22:01

Dope. This one was a blast. Glad I managed to place!

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-16 05:20:05

Happy Clock Day everyone!!

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-16 08:31:38

I'm gonna go on Newgrounds.com and check the news section, hope I don't see any Tom posts today, I don't care for those.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-16 09:27:42

At 8/15/19 03:50 PM, LittleLuckyLink wrote: SpriteDraw was epic, and a lot of fun too. Lots of super awesome and unique works here, and I can definitely see myself using the tool in the future for more projects! Thanks for the month of supporter fun, too! I've been meaning to upgrade my account eventually but things have been a little tight financial-wise on my part. Glad to finally be able to capitalize the "LuckyLink" part of my username xD

Nice dude, you deserve it! Can I just ask how old your forum sig is though? It looks pretty...vintage.

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-16 15:07:42

At 8/16/19 09:27 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Nice dude, you deserve it! Can I just ask how old your forum sig is though? It looks pretty...vintage.

Lmfao, like 2009. Never got around to making another.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-17 01:10:11

Wow! thanks for the supporter gif! super fun event. Congratulations to all of the Sprite Draw winners! special thanks to @idrawbutts ! and to the team that organized and judged the contest!

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-17 11:19:25

Congrats to all the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-17 12:03:18

wow i never thought to win

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-17 16:13:54

Congrats to all the winners, and Clock Day was a real blast!

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-17 17:06:32

Hey congrats to everyone who won!

Making unoriginal content since 2008!

BBS Signature

Response to Sprite Draw Winners & Clock Day! 2019-08-19 16:32:49

Congrats to all the winners :D

BBS Signature