00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of February we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 202 people to reach our goal of 3,100 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in March!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Newgrounds OC Art Contest

3,833 Views | 17 Replies
New Topic

++ ENTRY THREAD ++


DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Welcome to The Newgrounds OC Art Contest: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Back in May the writing community on newgrounds competed in a competition to create some original Newgrounds Characters. The idea was to go through each section of newgrounds (Writing, art, audio, voice acting, and animation.) and collaborate to create an animation with brand new characters that would become Newgrounds Originals.


It was decided that concept art should be the next step in the process. 


Our winner was @Unabated with his story Discount Detectives: Dicked Twice


Please read his entry here: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text


Unabated already has concept art created for the two main characters Detective Harold Moustache and Detective Ed Jackson, which can be viewed here:



To enter this competition please create concept art for 1-2 (or more if you want to go wild!) of the supporting characters. Please note that the author isn't married to the original concept art so don't worry if your style doesn't match the original two characters. We don't want to limit any style or concept.


Supporting Characters:


Police Chief Guy Sticker (A strong and proud gay leader not afraid to make himself the "butt" of the joke.) We are very aware that when creating a gay character that there could be toxic stereotypes involved. With this in mind we did make some edits to the character and got feedback from the LGBTQ community. The author is committed to avoiding any homophobic tendencies and will continue to work towards making this a character who just happens to be funny and gay, not funny because they're gay. This character was designed in mind to be comfortable with their sexuality and not be afraid to use it within their every day dialogue with the rest of his team.


Stephanie Hergenwolfmenortisspunkenmerner (practically ditsy secretary that has issues with contractions and possibly dyslexic. Apathetic. Really bad at her job. Cute but not used for overt sex appeal)


Curator (Older middle aged guy who is very uppity)


Child Thief (Homeschool loner kid who missed out on a lot of social constructs and is going through puberty.)


Janitor (Older Italian immigrant that has an infatuation with a lot of the art works from his homeland)


Note: Other than the Janitor there aren't any races mentioned. Please feel free to take creative liberty with their race/ethnicity.


Deadline:


September 20th 2019: Midnight EST


Prizes:


1st Place: Congrats, your concept art was chosen to move on and help with the creation of the animation! Here's a supporter status as well! You will be given credit with the final product and may be more involved with the project's art later on!


2nd Place: Supporter Status


3rd Place: Supporter Status


SUBMITTING


Entries must be posted to the newgrounds art portal.

Link to your entries in this thread.

Tag the submission with: #NewgroundsOC2019

Only submit art that you've created yourself.


Judges:


@Unabated

@Fro (In a supporting role)


Note: Unabated will have the final choice if he would like to move in a different direction if none of the styles fit his vision for the animation. If that ends up as the conclusion we will go back to the drawing board and try again!


There also can be other scenarios where Unabated decides to use additional authors to do other artwork such as backgrounds, etc... 


BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-08-26 18:29:57


At 8/9/19 06:18 PM, Fro wrote: ++ ENTRY THREAD ++

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Welcome to The Newgrounds OC Art Contest: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back in May the writing community on newgrounds competed in a competition to create some original Newgrounds Characters. The idea was to go through each section of newgrounds (Writing, art, audio, voice acting, and animation.) and collaborate to create an animation with brand new characters that would become Newgrounds Originals.

It was decided that concept art should be the next step in the process. 

Our winner was @Unabated with his story Discount Detectives: Dicked Twice

Please read his entry here: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text

Unabated already has concept art created for the two main characters Detective Harold Moustache and Detective Ed Jackson, which can be viewed here:

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/unabated/discount-detectives-concept

To enter this competition please create concept art for 1-2 (or more if you want to go wild!) of the supporting characters. Please note that the author isn't married to the original concept art so don't worry if your style doesn't match the original two characters. We don't want to limit any style or concept.

Supporting Characters:

Police Chief Guy Sticker (A strong and proud gay leader not afraid to make himself the "butt" of the joke.) We are very aware that when creating a gay character that there could be toxic stereotypes involved. With this in mind we did make some edits to the character and got feedback from the LGBTQ community. The author is committed to avoiding any homophobic tendencies and will continue to work towards making this a character who just happens to be funny and gay, not funny because they're gay. This character was designed in mind to be comfortable with their sexuality and not be afraid to use it within their every day dialogue with the rest of his team.

Stephanie Hergenwolfmenortisspunkenmerner (practically ditsy secretary that has issues with contractions and possibly dyslexic. Apathetic. Really bad at her job. Cute but not used for overt sex appeal)

Curator (Older middle aged guy who is very uppity)

Child Thief (Homeschool loner kid who missed out on a lot of social constructs and is going through puberty.)

Janitor (Older Italian immigrant that has an infatuation with a lot of the art works from his homeland)

Note: Other than the Janitor there aren't any races mentioned. Please feel free to take creative liberty with their race/ethnicity.

Deadline:

September 20th 2019: Midnight EST

Prizes:

1st Place: Congrats, your concept art was chosen to move on and help with the creation of the animation! Here's a supporter status as well! You will be given credit with the final product and may be more involved with the project's art later on!

2nd Place: Supporter Status

3rd Place: Supporter Status

SUBMITTING

Entries must be posted to the newgrounds art portal.
Link to your entries in this thread.
Tag the submission with: #NewgroundsOC2019
Only submit art that you've created yourself.

Judges:

@Unabated
@Fro (In a supporting role)

Note: Unabated will have the final choice if he would like to move in a different direction if none of the styles fit his vision for the animation. If that ends up as the conclusion we will go back to the drawing board and try again!

There also can be other scenarios where Unabated decides to use additional authors to do other artwork such as backgrounds, etc... 


iu_50948_6241547.jpg

iu_50949_6241547.jpg

/\ /\

Here are my entries for the contest. | |


At 8/26/19 06:29 PM, ArtbyHart wrote:
At 8/9/19 06:18 PM, Fro wrote: ++ ENTRY THREAD ++

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Welcome to The Newgrounds OC Art Contest: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back in May the writing community on newgrounds competed in a competition to create some original Newgrounds Characters. The idea was to go through each section of newgrounds (Writing, art, audio, voice acting, and animation.) and collaborate to create an animation with brand new characters that would become Newgrounds Originals.

It was decided that concept art should be the next step in the process. 

Our winner was @Unabated with his story Discount Detectives: Dicked Twice

Please read his entry here: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text

Unabated already has concept art created for the two main characters Detective Harold Moustache and Detective Ed Jackson, which can be viewed here:

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/unabated/discount-detectives-concept

To enter this competition please create concept art for 1-2 (or more if you want to go wild!) of the supporting characters. Please note that the author isn't married to the original concept art so don't worry if your style doesn't match the original two characters. We don't want to limit any style or concept.

Supporting Characters:

Police Chief Guy Sticker (A strong and proud gay leader not afraid to make himself the "butt" of the joke.) We are very aware that when creating a gay character that there could be toxic stereotypes involved. With this in mind we did make some edits to the character and got feedback from the LGBTQ community. The author is committed to avoiding any homophobic tendencies and will continue to work towards making this a character who just happens to be funny and gay, not funny because they're gay. This character was designed in mind to be comfortable with their sexuality and not be afraid to use it within their every day dialogue with the rest of his team.

Stephanie Hergenwolfmenortisspunkenmerner (practically ditsy secretary that has issues with contractions and possibly dyslexic. Apathetic. Really bad at her job. Cute but not used for overt sex appeal)

Curator (Older middle aged guy who is very uppity)

Child Thief (Homeschool loner kid who missed out on a lot of social constructs and is going through puberty.)

Janitor (Older Italian immigrant that has an infatuation with a lot of the art works from his homeland)

Note: Other than the Janitor there aren't any races mentioned. Please feel free to take creative liberty with their race/ethnicity.

Deadline:

September 20th 2019: Midnight EST

Prizes:

1st Place: Congrats, your concept art was chosen to move on and help with the creation of the animation! Here's a supporter status as well! You will be given credit with the final product and may be more involved with the project's art later on!

2nd Place: Supporter Status

3rd Place: Supporter Status

SUBMITTING

Entries must be posted to the newgrounds art portal.
Link to your entries in this thread.
Tag the submission with: #NewgroundsOC2019
Only submit art that you've created yourself.

Judges:

@Unabated
@Fro (In a supporting role)

Note: Unabated will have the final choice if he would like to move in a different direction if none of the styles fit his vision for the animation. If that ends up as the conclusion we will go back to the drawing board and try again!

There also can be other scenarios where Unabated decides to use additional authors to do other artwork such as backgrounds, etc... 
/\ /\
Here are my entries for the contest. | |


*Edit


Don't worry, I'll just post all of the pictures I've found on the art portal so far.


Do you mind linking to them to. :P


Sorry for being so picky. You can probably still edit the original post. A simple copy and paste will result in one of the cool links like I had in my original post.


BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-08-28 23:22:19


Here is my entry. Worked a bit for this one. Thanks for prompt!



I just ate a bagel.

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-08-31 13:34:40


Aand here's my entry iu_52085_7315742.jpg


Bouru

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-03 21:22:06


iu_52939_6241239.jpg

I figured Guy would be the kind of person to come to work in uniform on the regular, but would spontaneously come in with a Hawaiian shirt and khaki pants with confidence just because he feels like it.

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-04 11:13:18


At 9/3/19 09:22 PM, MrShmoods wrote:
I figured Guy would be the kind of person to come to work in uniform on the regular, but would spontaneously come in with a Hawaiian shirt and khaki pants with confidence just because he feels like it.


Thanks, just posting to the submission for organizational purposes.



BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-04 18:12:52


At 8/9/19 06:18 PM, Fro wrote: ++ ENTRY THREAD ++

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THIS THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Welcome to The Newgrounds OC Art Contest: - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back in May the writing community on newgrounds competed in a competition to create some original Newgrounds Characters. The idea was to go through each section of newgrounds (Writing, art, audio, voice acting, and animation.) and collaborate to create an animation with brand new characters that would become Newgrounds Originals.

It was decided that concept art should be the next step in the process. 

Our winner was @Unabated with his story Discount Detectives: Dicked Twice

Please read his entry here: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1441365#bbspost26342302_post_text

Unabated already has concept art created for the two main characters Detective Harold Moustache and Detective Ed Jackson, which can be viewed here:

//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/unabated/discount-detectives-concept

To enter this competition please create concept art for 1-2 (or more if you want to go wild!) of the supporting characters. Please note that the author isn't married to the original concept art so don't worry if your style doesn't match the original two characters. We don't want to limit any style or concept.

Supporting Characters:

Police Chief Guy Sticker (A strong and proud gay leader not afraid to make himself the "butt" of the joke.) We are very aware that when creating a gay character that there could be toxic stereotypes involved. With this in mind we did make some edits to the character and got feedback from the LGBTQ community. The author is committed to avoiding any homophobic tendencies and will continue to work towards making this a character who just happens to be funny and gay, not funny because they're gay. This character was designed in mind to be comfortable with their sexuality and not be afraid to use it within their every day dialogue with the rest of his team.

Stephanie Hergenwolfmenortisspunkenmerner (practically ditsy secretary that has issues with contractions and possibly dyslexic. Apathetic. Really bad at her job. Cute but not used for overt sex appeal)

Curator (Older middle aged guy who is very uppity)

Child Thief (Homeschool loner kid who missed out on a lot of social constructs and is going through puberty.)

Janitor (Older Italian immigrant that has an infatuation with a lot of the art works from his homeland)

Note: Other than the Janitor there aren't any races mentioned. Please feel free to take creative liberty with their race/ethnicity.

Deadline:

September 20th 2019: Midnight EST

Prizes:

1st Place: Congrats, your concept art was chosen to move on and help with the creation of the animation! Here's a supporter status as well! You will be given credit with the final product and may be more involved with the project's art later on!

2nd Place: Supporter Status

3rd Place: Supporter Status

SUBMITTING

Entries must be posted to the newgrounds art portal.
Link to your entries in this thread.
Tag the submission with: #NewgroundsOC2019
Only submit art that you've created yourself.

Judges:

@Unabated
@Fro (In a supporting role)

Note: Unabated will have the final choice if he would like to move in a different direction if none of the styles fit his vision for the animation. If that ends up as the conclusion we will go back to the drawing board and try again!

There also can be other scenarios where Unabated decides to use additional authors to do other artwork such as backgrounds, etc... 


iu_53115_5482201.jpgiu_53116_5482201.jpg


trippy dude..

BBS Signature

Full Pack Incoming

Child Thief

iu_53471_6922456.jpg

Curator

iu_53478_6922456.jpg


Part 2

Police Chief

iu_53476_6922456.jpg

Janitor

iu_53479_6922456.jpg

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-06 15:14:29


Last One

Stephanie Hergenwolfmenortisspunkenmerner

iu_53480_6922456.jpg

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-06 16:17:32


I found an easy way to organize the entries. As entries appear in the portal or I find them with the hashtag I will add them to the following list.


https://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/c1d36f32aa49a3dfc612a32736fbd361?fbclid=IwAR1sxTnW82Bf9SUJpWHcE5Z3ZoH8hKaDljCZ8WsOciYpdOpWyoxCkZJ9GjM


BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-08 12:50:53


iu_53886_7315742.jpgMy second entry, featuring the Child Thief


Bouru

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-14 19:18:58


Here is my entry for the contest. And here is the art portal link. If you guys have troubles with looking at my entry let me know. I'm still getting used to using Newgrounds.iu_55160_7497764.jpg

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-18 19:53:30


Here are my entries to the contest.

iu_56122_7119279.jpg

From left to right: Police Chief Guy Sticker, Child Thief and Stephanie Hergenwolfmenortisspunkenmerner.


Hope you like them. Also here is the link to the officially submitted art to the portal that I just uploaded in case you need a link to that.


My Submission

Response to Newgrounds OC Art Contest 2019-09-20 18:09:31


You have just a little bit more time left in the day. I'll be locking the thread at Midnight EST.


Thank you for everyone who participated. :)


BBS Signature