00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YendorNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans

22,149 Views | 79 Replies
Respond to this Topic

This past week I took the family on a road trip to Canada for the Ottawa International Animation Festival, where we had two screenings of NG animation circa 2000-2005, organized by Sean Buckelew (@wh347 here on NG).

What an inspiring trip! Both screenings had a great turnout and we hit full capacity for the theater on Friday. We weren't sure what to expect in Ottawa; it's the largest animation festival in North America and there was the chance the audience could be a lot of industry folks without much NG background, looking to learn what it's all about and potentially hating it. It ended up being the complete opposite; the audience was full of big fans who knew most of the material. The most eye-opening thing about the festival was how many people came up and told me that Newgrounds is what got them into animation. A teacher from an animation school in Boston told me there has been a tipping point recently where instead of students citing things such as Disney and Pixar as their reason for getting into animation, they are saying it was because of Newgrounds. It was CRAZY how much I heard this sort of thing during the festival.

It was a turning point for me because I've always had this image that the web scene and the festival scene are two different beasts and I've assumed the festival crowd turns their nose up to Newgrounds - and maybe that WAS the case 10-15 years ago - but it definitely didn't feel like the case now. I felt so much love and respect for NG the entire time I was there, it made me feel like an idiot for all my insecurities. Of course, my negative side still said, "Good job Tom, you did something great for a while there but will people 10 years from now still be crediting NG with getting them into animation?" To answer myself, all I can say is... "You gotta try and make that the case."

The other weekend, @JohnnyUtah, @Oney and I went to PhilaMOCA (Philadelphia Mausoleum of Contempory Art) to see Greg Sestero (Mark from the Room), who's a big fan of The Room game we made. I got to talk to one of the guys from PhilaMOCA and they are NG fans too, so now I'm looking at doing an NG night downtown, maybe on a monthly basis if there is enough turnout. Sean will also be looking to bring the Newgrounds Revolution screening to more festivals around the world. These events will help spread the word about NG and bring greater legitimacy to the work that is shared here. We can create stories beyond getting front page.

I also need to build up the courage (and collaborators) for music, gaming and art events. These are all things we've wanted to do for more than a decade but they are extremely counter to my personality, which has traditionally been more agoraphobic but I'm working to be a different person. My role with The Behemoth has helped this a lot because it created a duty to attend events such as Comic-Con and PAX and Sean has been an inspiration with the festival screenings. This past year I've tried to step out of my comfort zone even more, with events such as the Q&A at the NG Screening at Animation Breakdown in LA (organized by @wh347 and @elementalbadger), the MAGFest panel in DC, a panel with @Glaiel-Gamer at PAX Boston, a Buzzfeed talk in NYC (thanks to @Nogfish), the biggest Pico Day ever, a J-1 Con Philly panel with @Stamper and @RicePirate, a Too Many Games panel with @deathink, @RicePirate and @Oney just outside Philly, PAX Prime in Seattle, the Ottawa Animation Festival and the upcoming Emerald Coast Con in Florida next month.

Long-term if there is enough critical mass at various events, I would like to attempt a "Newgrounds dot Con" for all things NG at a single convention. It's one of those ideas that has come up over the years but always seems a bit too out there. I'm officially putting it in writing because that's step one.

Thank you everyone who attended the NG screenings and advanced thanks to anyone who turns out for NG events in the future! And of course a continued thanks to everyone who shows up here on the NG website, which I'm really grateful for considering how many distractions there are nowadays.

Additional Stuff

Vote for Maggie's Apartment on Steam Greenlight!

Madness Day is tomorrow, although some entries are coming in early. Be sure to come witness the Madness! @Krinkels and @The-Swain have been working on Madness: Project Nexus 2 with Unity3D and it will be the king of all Madness games.

Picture from the NG screening:

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 13:32:39

Awesome news all around! Tom Fulp; changer of lives.
And hell yeah, newgrounds dot con :O

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 13:46:01

At 9/21/15 01:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: This past week I took the family on a road trip to Canada for the Ottawa International Animation Festival, where we had two screenings of NG animation circa 2000-2005, organized by Sean Buckelew (@wh347 here on NG).

Cool, what were some of those animations?

The people getting into animating because of Newgrounds was a nice moment.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

It was a turning point for me because I've always had this image that the web scene and the festival scene are two different beasts and I've assumed the festival crowd turns their nose up to Newgrounds - and maybe that WAS the case 10-15 years ago - but it definitely didn't feel like the case now.

I sensed some great submissions by animation students over the last couple of years, but I still wish more of them would upload to NG instead of merely aiming for festival screenings or vimeo staff picks. You being at Ottawa will definitely help some of them to recognize the splendor of NG.

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 14:06:17

At 9/21/15 01:46 PM, Radaketor wrote: Cool, what were some of those animations?

Very close to the LA screening from November, with a few small changes:

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 14:09:49

Wrong Nudes dot con, coming to you soon!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 14:18:50

Hey, if there were a Newgrounds Con in the NYC area, I would totally be there. (Assuming I didn't have to get up at 6AM to stand on line for tickets. Ahahaha...ha. Anyway...)

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 14:38:17

Wow Tom. That sounds amazing and I can't even begin to imagine how that must've felt for you. You probably stood an inch or two taller with your chest feeling like it just may burst in pride.

Good for you brother.

*brofist*

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 14:38:45

I'm so happy for you Tom! :D

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 14:50:39

At 9/21/15 02:09 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Wrong Nudes dot con, coming to you soon!

Like this yeh?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 15:14:29

At 9/21/15 02:38 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: Wow Tom. That sounds amazing and I can't even begin to imagine how that must've felt for you. You probably stood an inch or two taller with your chest feeling like it just may burst in pride.

Yeah, it was a great feeling and I knew it would start fading as soon as I slipped back into my work chair so I rushed to get those thoughts out. Now I gotta follow through on the Philly screening for starters.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 15:28:50

At 9/21/15 02:06 PM, TomFulp wrote:

So many classics there, I bet it would be a cool idea to have a section dedicated to ng members who have passed on as well like Ben Spurgin and Edd.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 15:29:44

At 9/21/15 01:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: The most eye-opening thing about the festival was how many people came up and told me that Newgrounds is what got them into animation. A teacher from an animation school in Boston told me there has been a tipping point recently where instead of students citing things such as Disney and Pixar as their reason for getting into animation, they are saying it was because of Newgrounds.

I never get tired of reading this part. That is one hell of an achievement.

At 9/21/15 02:50 PM, Saminat wrote: Like this yeh?

Hehe yeah man, exactly this.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 15:34:45

At 9/21/15 03:28 PM, Rees303 wrote: So many classics there, I bet it would be a cool idea to have a section dedicated to ng members who have passed on as well like Ben Spurgin and Edd.

There actually is a page for that:

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/about-newgrounds/history/in-memoriam

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 15:38:52

Hell yeah Tom! Glad to hear it was an outstanding visit and that you're making an impact that you can be proud of :D. I know sometimes you feel like a real mess inside, and that's why you deserve this. Congratulations Tom!!

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 16:07:30

Wow, events like this are constant reminder that newgrounds remains one of the most influential sites of our time, regardless of who you were or where you are now, it's so great to hear that NG has a special place in people's hearts. An actual convention solely encompassing all things Newgrounds, would be nothing short of spectacular. My Madness day short will miss the day, but thanks to @Clatform, it should be speedy.

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 17:00:48

Just wanted to add a little +1 to the folks citing Newgrounds as what got them into animation. NG turned me on to art as a whole, but particularly animation; it's what I'm working on a degree in now! Thanks for NG, Tom!

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 17:27:13

So many memories....

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 18:27:17

Nice selection, there are a couple of movies I would taken out and put a few others instead, but overall it's a good choice that highlights some of NGs best movies at the time. ^_^

Out of curiosity, did they mention how quite a few of these movies were created by artists that have gone on to become quite successful? Internet successful, perhaps, but successful anyway. I mean, take Ed Skudder (LeftFootFirst), who went on to create, Dick Figures, with 100s of millions of views, and who first started here...

Fun: THAT IS THE BENEFIT OF DIPLOMATIC IMUNITY!

To think about the world, click cat.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 18:44:57

At 9/21/15 01:13 PM, TomFulp wrote: Madness Day is tomorrow, although some entries are coming in early

funny how that never happens with clock day, only with people who have unoriginal ideas

pressed the right button.

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 23:07:24

Wow Tom, I knew my buddy @Paxilon would cause some trouble but I didn't expect you to be this scathing about it. Ah well, she had it coming.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-21 23:36:15

I'm happy that you had so much fun and inspiration in Canada. :)

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-22 00:07:25

At 9/21/15 08:06 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: pressed the right button.

And I just counteracted a douchebag. My good deed for the day has been done.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Nice, man. Newgrounds actually introduced me to Flash back in ~1999. When I learned that the site was owned by an ordinary guy and that (after the portal was born) most of the content was created by people who were only a few years older than me, I was really inspired.

Before I discovered Newgrounds, I had this impression that only big companies were capable of producing animations and games of this caliber (let alone an entire website with an automated portal dedicated to showcasing them!) When I realized that this was something that anyone - even a dumb kid like me - could do on their home PC, I was hooked.

I never really got too big into animation or game development and ended up pursuing an IT career instead, but I'm still very much interested in it. I've always had a passion for drawing and would love to take it to the next level some day... I definitely owe it to NG for showing me the light!

By the way, next time you do something like this, I think you should include CI: Unregulated in the line-up. It was (and still is, IMO) the most amazing animation in the history of Newgrounds. Aside from being a bad-ass animation, it's an excellent demonstration of advanced techniques that really pushed the limits of what you could achieve with Flash back then. I think people would be very impressed.

Brutality would be nice too :-P McFretN was a really talented animator!

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-22 02:24:12

I think it is well deserved appreciation.
NG has been some sort of "shrine" for independent animators (and artists of all kinds) for a long time.

Musicians make music , producers make products. * drops mic :D

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-22 04:30:17

At 9/21/15 11:07 PM, SirUndead wrote: Wow Tom, I knew my buddy @Paxilon would cause some trouble but I didn't expect you to be this scathing about it. Ah well, she had it coming.

You just reminded me, I didn't meet @Paxilon while in Ottawa!

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-22 07:25:21

At 9/21/15 05:00 PM, LDAF wrote: Just wanted to add a little +1 to the folks citing Newgrounds as what got them into animation. NG turned me on to art as a whole, but particularly animation; it's what I'm working on a degree in now! Thanks for NG, Tom!

Can't agree more! God, all the big people I know originate from here. We're talking all across the spectrum, from Egoraptor to the godmother/father of smut; ZONE-SAMA, and so many more.

When the Jews return to Zion, and a comet fills the sky...

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-22 07:45:29

Thats cool to see the showing was strong in Ottawa, i think when i was there years ago i missed the animation festival by a weekend. Meant to go back the next year and never did. I think newgrounds is at the age where having screenings and stuff makes alot of sense. Cool to see users taking up the task and introducing ng related screenings in different spots, god knows we have enough content and street cred for that sort of thing by now.

also first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Ottawa Thoughts and Plans 2015-09-22 07:46:49

For what it's worth - I REALLY enjoyed the old Friday Live Streams. I think they should come back :)