00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonMugen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread!

8,530 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

THIS IS NOT THE SUBMISSION THREAD! You can find the submission thread here: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1443863

Welcome to NGRMC 2019! I’m your host Felix Zophar and your co-host is 8oltSh0cX. This year we decided to have a melody vote and let you guys decide what melody you wanted to use. You guys voted Melody One, which I think would have been the best choice for this kind of competition. We thought last year went pretty good for a first-year so we’re back again. And this is not the submission thread so don’t submit your music. Just ask questions, comment, or say if you’re in or not (of course you don’t have to, you just have to submit the song and you’re in).

Competition start: August 10 at 12:00 a.m. EST

Deadline: September 8 at 11:59 p.m. EST

Results released: September 15-20

Make sure you know your time zone difference.

Judges:

@FelixZophar (host and manager)

@8oltSh0cX (co-host and assistant manager)

@Dovax

What is NGRMC? NGRMC stands for Newgrounds Remix Competition. What happens is you’re given a melody with chords and you take it and turn it into your own song. We then score your song and if you’re in the Top 5, you are able to earn a prize! It’s very exciting to see how many different people take one idea and develop it using their own unique style. I strongly encourage you to participate and it’s a lot of fun.

The melody will be provided with a screenshot with the midi laid out below. We will also provide a download link with Newgrounds dump that contains the midi and the demo sound stems if you are interested in using the demo sounds.

For the title you have to put “NGRMC 2019 remix” next to your song name so that we know it’s a NGRMC remix and so you don’t get flagged if your remix sounds similar to someone else’s. We emphasize the importance of the 2019 part after NGRMC, as it will help to separate remixes from the previous year.

Examples:

TheJoker - Flying High (NGRMC 2019 remix)

WaterPowa - Erupt (NGRMC 2019 remix)

2night - Party all Day (NGRMC 2019 remix)

Rules:

• No submitting a song past the deadline date. Please contact one of the managers if you need to make separate arrangements.
  • You may NOT collab.
  • You must be scouted.
  • Keep the song in between 1:30 - 6 minutes. Obviously, if it’s 5 seconds over or under then we’re not going to disqualify you.
  • You may change the melody slightly. You may not change it enough where it sounds different or nothing like the original. You are allowed to change the scale from major to minor vise versa.
  • The remix must be original work. No using copyrighted samples. Loops are restricted.
  • Please add flavor to your remix. Though having a solo instrument is okay this year, we would like to see layered and fruity music.
  • No resubmissions. We’re not allowing that this year so make sure your mix is the final mix that you like.

Scoring:

• All judges will give the song a rating from 1-10.
  • The average of each rating will be the score the song will get.
  • Each song will be judged by its creativity, mixing, and how it appeals to the judge.
  • Make sure the song is pleasantly sounding to the ears along with a good mix.

Prizes:

1st: 1 year of support status and $30 worth of sample packs

2nd: 1 year of support status and $20 worth of sample packs

3rd: 1 year of support status and $10 worth of sample packs

4th: $5 worth of sample packs

5th: $5 worth of sample packs

1st - 10th get their song featured on Aurora Electronic Music, or previously known as Earth’s Unknown EDM.

Since there is only one melody it may be hard to write different kinds of genres. You are allowed to change it from minor to major or major to minor since if you want to write a happy song, you can’t really do that with a minor scale. Or maybe you wanted to write a cool dubstep song. You could slightly modify it to make it melodic dubstep. Those are just some suggestions.

If you have any questions you can leave a post on this thread or contact one of the managers. Don’t contact @Dovax, he’s only a judge and has not been planning this for the past two months. He won’t be able to answer your questions.

Have fun!

You got dat?

BBS Signature

This is everything you need to know about the NGRMC melody.

The melody you voted this year was melody one. There were three melodies and I do feel that melody one was the best option. So here is everything you’ll need to get working on your remix for this year.

DEMO AUDIO: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/877349

DOWNLOAD STEMS AND MIDI: https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/623adf6546dffbe301a8d1d685e43e43

Note in the MIDI, there are velocity changes in the notes.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, the main reason I’m giving out the original audio of each sound and loop is so if you’re interested to work off from that style or use it in some way to fit into your remix. Besides that please don’t use it for random places in songs.

INFORMATION FOR SONG:

Key: E minor

Tempo: 82/164 bpm (82 in the FLP)

Here I am going to divide each melody into each section displaying a screenshot of the MIDI in the piano roll. Each will have an instrument name given to it based off from the melody. You do not have to use the same instrument.

*** = Required in the remix

Melody 1 (Piano):***

iu_45625_5959098.jpg

Chords (Not actually in the demo) (Piano):***

iu_45627_5959098.jpg

Bassline (Bass):

iu_45626_5959098.jpg

Melody 2 (Guitar):

iu_45628_5959098.jpg

Percussion (Percussion):

iu_45629_5959098.jpg

If you have any questions, leave a post on this thread or ask either @FelixZophar or @8oltSh0cX for info.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 00:12:01

From August 10-14 @FelixZophar will not be around, so please leave your questions to @8oltSh0cX and he’ll answer them. If you ask a question on this thread in that period of time @8oltSh0cX will answer it.

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 02:20:44

Is it a must to use this percussion loop thats laid out here?

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 05:01:36

My question did not get answered during melody voting so I'll ask again:

Are time signature changes to the melody remix allowed?

Also a new question, how much of the melody fragment needs remixing, all of it, or just the melody fragments?

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 06:52:03

At 8/10/19 02:20 AM, IXentimenTI wrote:Is it a must to use this percussion loop thats laid out here?

Anything with *** is required

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 06:54:18

At 8/10/19 05:01 AM, Troisnyx wrote:My question did not get answered during melody voting so I'll ask again:

Also a new question, how much of the melody fragment needs remixing, all of it, or just the melody fragments?

I’m a about to leave, but please explain it a bit more and @8oltSh0cX will answer it. I don’t really get what you mean.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 06:55:26

At 8/10/19 06:54 AM, FelixZophar wrote:
At 8/10/19 05:01 AM, Troisnyx wrote:My question did not get answered during melody voting so I'll ask again:

I’m a about to leave, but please explain it a bit more and @8oltSh0cX will answer it. I don’t really get what you mean.

Meaning, changing the metric, the beats per bar: the melody fragment to remix is in 4/4 but what if I changed it to, say, 3/4 or something, and basically made it so that the melody in question fit three beats per bar instead of four?

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 06:57:17

At 8/10/19 06:55 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/10/19 06:54 AM, FelixZophar wrote:

Meaning, changing the metric, the beats per bar: the melody fragment to remix is in 4/4 but what if I changed it to, say, 3/4 or something, and basically made it so that the melody in question fit three beats per bar instead of four?

I think thatll be okay as long as it doesn’t sound way different.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 10:56:42

At 8/10/19 02:20 AM, IXentimenTI wrote:Is it a must to use this percussion loop thats laid out here?

No it is not

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-10 10:58:24

I believe changing the time signature as long as the spirit of the melody isn't changed is completely fine.

That depends all onto you, you could not remix it at all or change a little bit of it. As long as it isn't a completely new melody it is completely fine

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-12 21:33:42

I think this sounds like an awesome competition and as much as I'd want to try it out I'm not in the best of conditions to be making stuff but I'll keep following towards the end. I would like to at least recommend one person if that's okay. @5tanley I think you should come up with something for this. Your Drum and Bass work is amazing and I believe you would fit right in dude. Good luck to all the other contestants as well! look forward to listening to all the pieces!

"People say my music tells a story, that it transports them into a new plain of reality. I'd like to tell that story and perhaps show you something wonderful" - Teckmo-X

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-12 21:39:17

At 8/12/19 09:33 PM, Teckmo-X wrote:I think this sounds like an awesome competition and as much as I'd want to try it out I'm not in the best of conditions to be making stuff but I'll keep following towards the end. I would like to at least recommend one person if that's okay. @5tanley I think you should come up with something for this. Your Drum and Bass work is amazing and I believe you would fit right in dude. Good luck to all the other contestants as well! look forward to listening to all the pieces!

Thanks man, and I would love for you to participate as well, maybe just for fun, but that's totally your choice.

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-13 05:38:30

At 8/12/19 09:39 PM, 8oltSh0cX wrote:
At 8/12/19 09:33 PM, Teckmo-X wrote:I think this sounds like an awesome competition and as much as I'd want to try it out I'm not in the best of conditions to be making stuff but I'll keep following towards the end. I would like to at least recommend one person if that's okay. @5tanley I think you should come up with something for this. Your Drum and Bass work is amazing and I believe you would fit right in dude. Good luck to all the other contestants as well! look forward to listening to all the pieces!

Thanks man, and I would love for you to participate as well, maybe just for fun, but that's totally your choice.

Well I'm sure I could come up with something but I don't know if I have enough time. Does the melody provided have to use the same sound or can it be used with different plugins to sound more 8 bit like?

"People say my music tells a story, that it transports them into a new plain of reality. I'd like to tell that story and perhaps show you something wonderful" - Teckmo-X

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-13 06:25:58

Decided to not take part; the reasons for it are explained below.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1384372/13#bbspost26370264_post_text

I'll be watching the contest though; I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. All the best!

So I can understand the mandatory melody, and the chords are listed as mandatory too. However, for the chords, must those exact chords be used in their implied manner or can we use those notes and add to them to make different extended chords with different harmonic functions?

Can we also change the key of the remix so long as the melody and chords have the exact same note?

Ex: The key is listed as E minor but I move it to it's relative major, G major. But the melody has the same named notes.

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-13 19:33:41

At 8/13/19 05:38 AM, Teckmo-X wrote:
At 8/12/19 09:39 PM, 8oltSh0cX wrote:

Well I'm sure I could come up with something but I don't know if I have enough time. Does the melody provided have to use the same sound or can it be used with different plugins to sound more 8 bit like?

Yes you may use any plugin as long as that melody is used

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-13 21:20:33

So, I saw that we were allowed to change the key from major to minor or vice versa. What I'd like to know is, are we allowed to change the mode of the key?

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-13 23:13:34

OH, It's ON!!!

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-14 16:29:30

At 8/13/19 09:20 PM, SI-7 wrote:So, I saw that we were allowed to change the key from major to minor or vice versa. What I'd like to know is, are we allowed to change the mode of the key?

Yeah you may

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-14 16:31:00

At 8/13/19 01:50 PM, SirQuebi wrote:So I can understand the mandatory melody, and the chords are listed as mandatory too. However, for the chords, must those exact chords be used in their implied manner or can we use those notes and add to them to make different extended chords with different harmonic functions?

Can we also change the key of the remix so long as the melody and chords have the exact same note?

Ex: The key is listed as E minor but I move it to it's relative major, G major. But the melody has the same named notes.

Yeah you may add more notes to the chords and you may change the scale.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-14 16:32:53

At 8/13/19 06:25 AM, Troisnyx wrote:Decided to not take part; the reasons for it are explained below.
https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1384372/13#bbspost26370264_post_text

I'll be watching the contest though; I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. All the best!

Thanks!

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-14 18:19:56

At 8/14/19 04:31 PM, FelixZophar wrote:
At 8/13/19 01:50 PM, SirQuebi wrote:So I can understand the mandatory melody, and the chords are listed as mandatory too. However, for the chords, must those exact chords be used in their implied manner or can we use those notes and add to them to make different extended chords with different harmonic functions?

Yeah you may add more notes to the chords and you may change the scale.

Heck yeah. Time to see how jazzy I can make it

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-19 19:50:43

Time to work some of my S1LENT magic.

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-19 19:51:12

At 8/19/19 07:50 PM, LordJabeebus wrote:Time to work some of my S1LENT magic.

Yeah lol

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-20 00:00:35

I'll give it a shot again this year, but like last year I can't really promise anything. If I thought I was out of practice then, well, current me should maybe have a chat with past me. I haven't made any serious music in about a year so it's gonna be rusty!

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-20 00:05:58

At 8/20/19 12:00 AM, GoodL wrote:I'll give it a shot again this year, but like last year I can't really promise anything. If I thought I was out of practice then, well, current me should maybe have a chat with past me. I haven't made any serious music in about a year so it's gonna be rusty!

That’s okay. Just do your best.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-31 05:38:38

I don't like my entry that much at the moment but whatever, I'll try to finish it in time

Imagine being french

BBS Signature

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-31 18:38:35

Well, I got started a little late but I'm working on a lil sump'n sump'n for this contest. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out so far so I hope I don't screw it up lol. Most likely I'll be posting on the last day, as usual. I really enjoyed this contest last year. I think I've upped muh skillz since then, so maybe I'll make it into the top 5 this year, we'll see...

Looking forward to hearing everyone's remixes! :)

Oh and @FelixZophar, are the judges gonna use decimal places (for example 9.1, 9.2,...) in their scoring or simply whole numbers? Only whole numbers were used in the judging last year and there were A LOT of multiple ties.

Response to NGRMC 2019 Discussion Thread! 2019-08-31 21:12:24

At 8/31/19 06:38 PM, FateModified wrote:Well, I got started a little late but I'm working on a lil sump'n sump'n for this contest. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out so far so I hope I don't screw it up lol. Most likely I'll be posting on the last day, as usual. I really enjoyed this contest last year. I think I've upped muh skillz since then, so maybe I'll make it into the top 5 this year, we'll see...

Looking forward to hearing everyone's remixes! :)

Oh and @FelixZophar, are the judges gonna use decimal places (for example 9.1, 9.2,...) in their scoring or simply whole numbers? Only whole numbers were used in the judging last year and there were A LOT of multiple ties.

We will be doing decimals but only .5 and that’s the same as last year. Shouldn’t be tied.

You got dat?

BBS Signature