00:00
00:00

SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests

10,759 Views | 26 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Knightin’+ Art Contest

We’re hosting a Knightin’+ Art Contest, to celebrate the release of Knightin’+ on Steam! The deadline is August 4th and ten winners will be gifted Steam keys by Knightin’+ creator @Wolod.

Sprite Draw Art Contest

@idrawbutts has created a fun web app called Sprite Draw, which randomly generates sprites and challenges you to draw what you see. Here are some examples:

We think this is a great concept and to encourage more people to give it a try, we’re hosting a Sprite Draw Contest! Simply generate some sprites, draw what you see and upload the result to the Art Portal in a similar format to the examples, showing a before and after.

Tag your entry with SpriteDraw and upload by August 11th at 11:59pm EST to be considered for the contest. Our three favorites will each receive $20; a small prize but hopefully some added incentive to make something!

Site Updates

We’ve just deployed a Supporter-only test phase of our new system for sharing what software and hardware you used to make individual entries here on NG. 

If you’re a Supporter and visit one of your movie, game or audio entries, you’ll see an “Edit Equipment” prompt under the tags. Clicking this will open a window where you enter the software and hardware you used. Our system will make suggestions based on what is on file and we’ll be building out that database based on your entries.

You’ll also see an option to save your list as a template, so you can apply the template to other entries rather than manually enter everything each time. Let us know what you think!

This feature will become available to everyone else with the release of the new Project System and Art will be integrated after launch. This will also be the moment when Art gets co-authoring.

This week we made some big under-the-hood updates to NG. Besides a performance increase, these updates bring us closer to the chunking uploader we intend to include in the new Project System. This will make the upload process more robust, so a four gig video file upload can get interrupted and resume where it left off without a hitch.

As always, your Support helps us keep hitting these goals so THANK YOU.

Podcasts

Be sure to give a listen to the latest @GroundsPatrol podcast, an interview with NG legend @TomaMoto, as well as the latest @ACoupleOfCrickets, with @NickConter as guest!

You could also listen to my July Playlist this weekend while browsing all this cool art!

iu_42087_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-26 17:04:30

I love the new software feature. However there are few issues. How can i delete an existing template? And when I try to select any of my created templates I get error message: "There was a problem with your request."

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-26 18:28:27

I love the idea of Equipment tagging. I find it useful and the texts I've read so far are short and to the point. The links to other examples are a new way of discovering things, I like that. Having several thousand entries, this might become a whole new landing page for people interested in what to buy.

Small bug when clicking on tags which do not exist yet (An error occured).

Not sure about the need for templates. How can I manage/edit/delete them? I created two with an empty string.

I tried adding Newgrounds as an Equipment. No tag was found. :(

Sprite drawing looks fun, looking forward to interesting entries!

You find Let's Plays in German of some Flash games here on Newgrounds on my YouTube channel

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-26 18:29:26

At 7/26/19 05:04 PM, Wolod wrote: I love the new software feature. However there are few issues. How can i delete an existing template? And when I try to select any of my created templates I get error message: "There was a problem with your request."

We have a place to manage templates but it's not public yet so will follow up on that. The "problem with your request" error will be getting looked into, too!

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-26 21:28:13

I'm VERY excited for Project System update, and this lil equipment preview is a very nice surprise. Imma update every single submission I've ever made tonight

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

#FreeStatKing

BBS Signature

At 7/26/19 06:28 PM, Manderby wrote: Small bug when clicking on tags which do not exist yet (An error occured).
Not sure about the need for templates. How can I manage/edit/delete them? I created two with an empty string.

Hmm, I'll fix the empty string thing and the error for unassigned items, thanks for pointing those out.

As far as the need for templates, it won't be for everyone (in which case, don't use them). I mostly had @mattashi in mind when starting looking at adding that. If you look at most of his (at least recent) submissions, he'll have a list of stuff he's used and there's common ground between them (taken from two of his submissions):

Gear used :

► DAW : Cubase 7

► Audio Interface : Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

► Midi Controller : A-500PRO Roland

► Headphones : Sony mdr-7506

► Monitors : Yamaha HS5

Once he's set that up as a template, he can just import it into whatever his next project it is.

And yes, you can edit and delete templates, there's no convenient way of getting to those pages yet (and they're not quite finished). It's coming, though.

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-27 07:19:54

That sprite draw looks like a perfect remedy for the empty cancas syndrome, I think I'll give it a shot !

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-27 07:33:00

On the topic of the Sprite Draw contest, are Sprite Draw drawings that were done before the contest was announced included in it?

I have no idea what to put in this space.

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-27 08:20:55

At 7/27/19 07:33 AM, artistofargoth wrote: On the topic of the Sprite Draw contest, are Sprite Draw drawings that were done before the contest was announced included in it?

Sure!

BBS Signature

At 7/27/19 08:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: Sure!

Good to know, thanks

I have no idea what to put in this space.

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-27 14:18:28

I wondered what the equipment tagging was about, I'll start filling some of that in! Neat!

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-27 15:13:57

Thanks for the signal boost on the SpriteDraw challenge, Tom! :D :D :D

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-28 03:22:18

Sprite Draw has brought out some astonishing inspiration within me. I generated only one sheet and already have three extremely fun ideas. Can't wait to start rolling these out!

Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-28 22:22:14

The examples ate amazing but all I can see is spaceships 😐

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-29 11:00:41

At 7/28/19 10:22 PM, Imrie wrote: The examples ate amazing but all I can see is spaceships 😐

Might be time to draw a spaceship!

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-30 05:02:07

NEW TOM AVATAR IS FUCKING SCARY AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-07-30 09:15:23

That pic looks like Andy Samberg

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-01 02:31:11

This sounds like so much fun! I've never entered a contest before (nor have I ever posted art on here) but I've always been a huge fan of interpretation. I might just have to enter!

BBS Signature

Is doing more than 1 entry okay? This seems like a fun creativity exercise.

EDIT: Realizing now that's probably not fair - I'll try and do a collage of a bunch of characters in one entry.

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-01 21:24:29

NSFW Probably

I apologize in advance.

May make a more appropriate one later.

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-02 07:38:07

At 8/1/19 09:24 PM, KillHammer wrote: NSFW Probably
I apologize in advance.

May make a more appropriate one later.

hahaha well the source sprite made it pretty clear what it had to be lol

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-08 11:49:54

I'm really diggin' the SpriteDraw contest so far, its a fun tool to just practice drawing off of forms and silhouettes. Kinda like a rorschach test but...y'know...sprites. Definitely going to try and enter.

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-08 21:59:26

There's really no way I can compete with any of those peices! They are all amazing! Can we have a contest for the worst drawing one day? I can compete on that level!

Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-13 21:42:26

hmm, wonder who won

You are not prepared...

Illustration/animation thread: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1229930

BBS Signature

Response to SpriteDraw & Knightin' Art Contests 2019-08-15 11:39:15

Winners have been announced here!

BBS Signature