00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MC4HJW just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up!

13,313 Views | 44 Replies
Respond to this Topic

This weekend I visited Los Angeles for the Newgrounds screening at Animation Breakdown, hosted by the Cinefamily theater. What a great time! The event was curated by Sean Buckelew, with an emphasis on 2000-2004. It was also organized by Jeanette Bonds, who I didn't realize was elementalbadger here on NG. She made Trusts & Estates, which should be required viewing.

Also in attendance were Mockery, El-Cid, Bowz, RomeoJR, AlmightyHans, StrawberryClock, DonkeysBazooka, Tomamoto, Jaxxy, Evilzug, seanjames, MarkAguilar20, MikeSalyh, Pikanjo, Emanhattan, Mexifry, lonewolfgame, Shadorath, zappawadda, thepixelizer.

I noted three usersnames I must have mistyped: Fr0stcrunch, FullMoonness and Alphazxe. If you read this, respond and let me know your correct NG username. Also if you didn't tell me your NG name or didn't get to talk to me, still feel welcome to make yourself known in this thread!

Some locals came out for dinner but couldn't make it to the screening - shout out to gene-goldstein, OdellAtkinson and GuitarmasterX7!

There was a late-night Smash tournament in the theater after the screening & reception. Xander Mobus (the announcer in Smash) was there and did a Q&A. Turns out he's Motley-Fool here on NG and has voiced a bunch of stuff!

The screening was an hour long, followed by a Q&A. The biggest surprise of the Q&A came after I answered a question concerning the most satisfying / rewarding aspect of NG. I explained how I'm most satisfied when someone tells me NG is what inspired them to learn Flash and make something, and now that thing exists in this world when it otherwise may not have. The theater broke into applause, which isn't something I normally get in response to a Q&A answer and it was a really special life moment. Afterwards, lots of people came up and told me they are one of those people who got inspired by NG. That's the best feeling ever. I'm aware that a lot of people nowadays are focused on platforms such as YouTube and Steam, but we'll keep working to make NG the best and these stories of inspiration should continue long into the future.

Something that was noted and that I agree with is that artists still get the best feedback on NG. So everyone who has been writing reviews and giving quality feedback - THANK YOU. I need to write more reviews myself, too. We may not may not always compete on traffic but we can definitely outperform in the department of having an appreciative, interesting community that gives quality feedback. I'll also note that we're competitive on ad rates, so be sure to sign up for rev-share if you upload here!

This was the first time NG ever screened at a movie theater but hopefully won't be the last. NG is turning 20 next year and in addition to being home to great new artists of the future, we'll continue to celebrate artists of the past and make sure history doesn't forget them. Most web content eventually becomes a dead link but that isn't the case with NG and we should all be really proud of that.

Now I just gotta wrap up the Halloween Spooktacular, expect that next.

I'll close things out with a picture of B on the big screen and a group shot of some of us who made it past 2am:

NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 13:17:31

That B made me lol so hard

Sounded like a great experience, wish I could be there!

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 13:20:59

At 11/25/14 01:17 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: That B made me lol so hard

Yeah was great hearing the audience cheer for B. I think my favorites of the night were how well Marc M played on the big screen.

BBS Signature

Sounds like a blast! What else did you guys watch?

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 14:18:34

It was great seeing everyone there! I was afraid after I moved out to LA that my "attending Newgrounds Events" days were behind me. This felt great, and it reignited (reinforced?) my love for this site. It's a community that I'm proud to be a part of (even if I never fuckin' make anything I can upload anymore).

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 14:20:03

Really wish I had the money to go. Any chance there's some videos floating around Youtube?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 14:20:41

At 11/25/14 02:18 PM, DonkeysBazooka wrote: It was great seeing everyone there! I was afraid after I moved out to LA that my "attending Newgrounds Events" days were behind me. This felt great, and it reignited (reinforced?) my love for this site. It's a community that I'm proud to be a part of (even if I never fuckin' make anything I can upload anymore).

Crap I forgot to list you in the initial post, updated! You were the biggest surprise of the night because I totally didn't know / forgot you were in LA. And then I barely go to talk to you which sucks... I'm gonna put you on my "LA people" list so this doesn't happen again!

BBS Signature

At 11/25/14 02:13 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Sounds like a blast! What else did you guys watch?

This was the line-up:

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 14:31:36

Crap I forgot to list you in the initial post, updated! You were the biggest surprise of the night because I totally didn't know / forgot you were in LA. And then I barely go to talk to you which sucks... I'm gonna put you on my "LA people" list so this doesn't happen again!

Yeah, man, I moved out here a little over a year ago. Sorry I couldn't stick around later. I was running on fumes and had an early start the next day. But when I found out it was happening, there was NO way I wasn't going to at least stop by. Totally worth it.

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 14:34:46

At 11/25/14 02:31 PM, DonkeysBazooka wrote: Yeah, man, I moved out here a little over a year ago.

Your profile still says "Syracuse, NY", time for a little account housekeeping?

Sounds like an inspiring event! I do hope the 20th anniversary has some nice surprise in store. No pressure, it just has to be something on a scale previously never seen before, out of this world unfathomable, mind-blowingly majestic and unimaginably awing. :P It's definitely an occasion most sites haven't lived to see though, and most that do probably haven't had the same impact on the world as NG has!

Speaking of reviews, though the feedback given is always great, this place could always use some more writers. Maybe some little Top 10 Reviewers slot like the old Stats page had would motivate? Could be a yearly/monthly/something thing so new users aren't overwhelmed by numbers that'd take a decade or two to surpass.

At 11/25/14 02:20 PM, Wegra wrote: Any chance there's some videos floating around Youtube?

Would definitely love to see any potential archive footage!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 15:17:34

I'll close things out with a picture of B on the big screen and a group shot of some of us who made it past 2am:

Tom, nothing good happens after 2am.

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 15:18:19

Newgrounds inspired me to make stuff :3

Sounds like it was a great time, wish I could've gone but that's way too far :c. I'll definitely be making more of an effort to get to Pico Day next year though, if it's happening.

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 15:50:25

This is a really nice news post. I agree with the point about feedback on Newgrounds. In my experience, the comments here are generally better and more thoughtful than the comments on YouTube and Steam.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 17:45:07

Cool, NG on the big screen! I wish I could have gone. Coincidentally I made a NG festival trailer for a school assignment last year, funny to see it actually happen.

Also I was at the KLIK! Amsterdam Animation Festival earlier this month and I think Jeanette Bonds was a jury member there. What a small world.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 17:50:14

At 11/25/14 05:45 PM, aap wrote: Cool, NG on the big screen! I wish I could have gone. Coincidentally I made a NG festival trailer for a school assignment last year, funny to see it actually happen.

Maybe some day we'll get Turd Eating Cat up on the big screen... For now, you'll have to settle for Throwback Thursday this week!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 17:50:51

At 11/25/14 01:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: Something that was noted and that I agree with is that artists still get the best feedback on NG. So everyone who has been writing reviews and giving quality feedback - THANK YOU. I need to write more reviews myself, too. We may not may not always compete on traffic but we can definitely outperform in the department of having an appreciative, interesting community that gives quality feedback. I'll also note that we're competitive on ad rates, so be sure to sign up for rev-share if you upload here!

Glad the event was so successful! And that NG remains meaningful to so many people, it's great that community is still pushing forward...

... and on that note, <begin rant> Tom, and I apologise for side-tracking here, but I've been meaning to ask about this for a while now and this seems like a good time, there's something that would really, really make me want to write more in-depth reviews (thus giving better feedback!) and, I imagine, is true for a lot of people: if there was some way of knowing that an artist had actually read the review you've posted.

I make it a point of only leaving multiple-paragraph reviews here, but the fact that few artists take the time to respond or acknowledge a review, even when you've spent up to 30m crafting it and carefully thinking about it, is incredibly discouraging... to this day, I have no idea if Betsy Lee or Sarkazm (to name a couple), have even glanced at my reviews for their works.

I hope I don't sound winy by saying all of this, because it's not my intention, not all. I like leaving long reviews, but I've lost my impetus, because it can feel, well, like a wasted effort a lot of the time... </end rant>.

Fun: THAT IS THE BENEFIT OF DIPLOMATIC IMUNITY!

To think about the world, click cat.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 17:54:10

At 11/25/14 05:50 PM, Vert wrote: ... and on that note, <begin rant> Tom, and I apologise for side-tracking here, but I've been meaning to ask about this for a while now and this seems like a good time, there's something that would really, really make me want to write more in-depth reviews (thus giving better feedback!) and, I imagine, is true for a lot of people: if there was some way of knowing that an artist had actually read the review you've posted.

We've been talking recently about feed updates and one of those updates would be notifying you if an author clicked the "+" button to mark a review as helpful... So if we do that, it would AT LEAST let you know when an author appreciated your review, which seems like a good step. We are also talking about view tracking for items that are only viewed via a feed, so if that comes together, there would be potential to also notify you if an artist viewed your review. I'd say that's less likely but it's a possibility.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 18:04:27

At 11/25/14 01:02 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'll close things out with a picture of B on the big screen

I got all giddy looking at that. Fantastic.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 18:21:21

At 11/25/14 05:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've been talking recently about feed updates and one of those updates would be notifying you if an author clicked the "+" button to mark a review as helpful... So if we do that, it would AT LEAST let you know when an author appreciated your review, which seems like a good step. We are also talking about view tracking for items that are only viewed via a feed, so if that comes together, there would be potential to also notify you if an artist viewed your review. I'd say that's less likely but it's a possibility.

Well, getting a notification from the author that they liked the review would be a good step towards the right direction, it may even be enough by itself to make a big difference; and I realize that keeping track of whether an author has seen a review or not is tricky to implement, so aiming for this first makes a lot of sense.

If and when it happens, I'll probably start leaving reviews more often, at the very least to see if more authors acknowledge them.

^_^

Thanks for responding to my post, btw!

Fun: THAT IS THE BENEFIT OF DIPLOMATIC IMUNITY!

To think about the world, click cat.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 18:44:16

At 11/25/14 02:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: This was the line-up:

That's a sweet list right there! Some of these I'd never never seen before. Karma Ghost is ingenious! Thanks for helping me find The Pan by the way, I've been trying to find that one :)

At 11/25/14 05:45 PM, aap wrote: I was at the KLIK! Amsterdam Animation Festival earlier this month and I think Jeanette Bonds was a jury member there. What a small world.

Ha, that's great stuff. How is that festival anyway? I'm thinking of heading there myself sometime.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 19:06:57

At 11/25/14 06:44 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 11/25/14 05:45 PM, aap wrote: I was at the KLIK! Amsterdam Animation Festival earlier this month and I think Jeanette Bonds was a jury member there. What a small world.
Ha, that's great stuff. How is that festival anyway? I'm thinking of heading there myself sometime.

Great festival, I totally recommend it. If you can't afford it you can also volunteer and get an unlimited pass for free.
They should do a NG screening over there! Would be in line with their Midnight Madness program.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-25 21:02:39

It's great to see so many 'oldschool NG classics' hitting a theater! (and checking the playlist, there's plenty of them I hadn't seen before)

It would be great to see some more screenings of this sort; even from a "recent animation history" standpoint, I'd say NG could really get some more recognition on having a big impact on many animators (and game devs) from this generation.

On a sidenote, it's really interesting to think that next year Youtube will be 10, AND NG will actually be 20, now that's a long run!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-26 01:08:23

At 11/25/14 01:20 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/25/14 01:17 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: That B made me lol so hard
Yeah was great hearing the audience cheer for B. I think my favorites of the night were how well Marc M played on the big screen.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/201050
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/204271

Sounds epic, a word I don't like to use much! Sick Animation needs to meet JunkYardAnimations for a collab of delightful filth.

TIME IS VERY SHORT, SO DON'T STEP ON IT!

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-26 02:25:09

That is pretty amazing! And I'm glad to see Karma Ghost still getting some attention :)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-26 03:50:48

I hope I can go there...but I can't :(
At least i can see the B.

What kills you makes you a zombeh!

BBS Signature

At 11/25/14 07:06 PM, aap wrote: Great festival, I totally recommend it. If you can't afford it you can also volunteer and get an unlimited pass for free.

Neat! How many days did you visit? And what would you say were the most interesting things on the program?

They should do a NG screening over there! Would be in line with their Midnight Madness program.

Hey yeah, why not. They also tour from what I've seen on their website.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-26 08:15:12

Aw man, I would have loved to have been able to make it to this.

I especially would have loved being able to see Hyakugojyuuichi!! on the big screen (tho personally im more of a Kung Fu Phil kinda guy).

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-26 09:01:36

It is indeed inspiring to read this stuff. I'm not a flash user by any means but I have a lot to owe NG. It acted as a catalyst to fuel my hobby of creating music, and turned me from a fairly unambitious 12-year-old into an avid musician with a sizeable fanbase and a plethora of once-in-a-lifetime experiences and achievements. I am absolutely certain that without this website that would have never happened, and regardless of how far my music takes me, I'll always credit NG for getting me that far.

I agree that what this site offers over other sites like YouTube is an actual COMMUNITY. Post your first thing on YouTube and you're a nobody; you'll be on your own to build a name for yourself and it's easy to get disheartened. Over here, not only can you get invaluable reviews but you can make yourself part of the forum community, collaborate, create opportunities, and make contacts. I always make it a point to respond to each review I get in stupendous detail, and give out enormous reviews too, because it's something you just don't get on other sites.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Theater Screening Wrap-Up! 2014-11-26 10:36:36

At 11/25/14 09:02 PM, ButzboPrud wrote: It would be great to see some more screenings of this sort; even from a "recent animation history" standpoint, I'd say NG could really get some more recognition on having a big impact on many animators (and game devs) from this generation.

It would be awesome to have an annual NATA screening, where you can follow all the entries up to the final face-off. Piggy-backing off existing festivals would help expose NG to people who are less familiar with NG, too.

BBS Signature