00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists!

79,455 Views | 531 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-10 09:53:02

This place looks cool! and wtf, audio too? awesomesauce!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-10 10:01:20

I started a tumblr pretty recent, but everyone was talking about how bad it was going, so here I am instead. Hello all, I've been told this place is good for art.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-10 15:10:34

At 12/4/18 02:35 AM, Garnet-Frost wrote: I'm one of those tumblr artists that joined and I couldn't be happier. I hope this website works out a lot better than tumblr.

Welcome to NewGrounds. Things will work out much better here. No worries.

At 12/4/18 02:44 AM, C wrote: I think that the vast majority of Tumblr people who are migrating here will likely show up for a few days and then leave for either another website or crawl back to Tumblr because that's ultimately the site that they're hooked on.

I disagree with you. I think that the new artists will stay on NewGrounds. At the very least, stay here and another site at the same time.

At 12/4/18 02:48 AM, rosewoodstandard wrote: Thanks for the warm welcome. You've always been a fucking embodiment of the spirit of art

You are very welcome.

It's been a decade or more since I left this site and now I return emboldened and eager to participate.

Glad to see you return home.

At 12/4/18 02:49 AM, Vinsionary wrote:
At 12/4/18 02:44 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: NewGrounds is large enough for every artists from Tumblr, and still have plenty of room left over.
You sure about that? A few hours ago the site was going down a couple of times, haha

You can slow us down, but we will always keep going. You can't stop the tank.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-12 19:32:40

hell yeah

Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-14 00:45:12

At 12/4/18 02:51 AM, Griffinflash wrote: Wow, so many new people, this is actually kind of exciting. Love this site

It really is a great time to be on NewGrounds.

(despite me not actually being active since 2007.......besides random drawings here and there...I need to get back on that.)

Yes, you should be more active.

At 12/4/18 03:00 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: I keep finding cool new artists to follow on NG! I can't believe I didn't get into browsing the art portal sooner.

They are all over the place. Just keep your eyes open.

At 12/4/18 03:02 AM, Art3misJinx wrote: Welcome everyone!
Excited for all the new art that's going to be posted in the coming days.

All new artists are welcome here. There has been non stop great art for a long time. It should keep going.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-14 15:31:42

Been reuploading all my stuff here (still not done).
It's a lovely place, with a good, intimate vibe.

Only missing a feature to upload multiple images and maybe subfolders (so i could upload comics) but i see there's already similar plans for the future, which is great to read.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-14 18:06:25

Thank you for the wonderful opportunity. This site is amazing!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-15 06:06:40

Thanks for the welcome! ^_^"

Hi all!

I've been here a little while now just building up my gallery and checking the place out and I'm already enjoying my stay. I'm not so much a refugee from Tumblr as I am your average artist looking to expand his audience and make new friends.

My main platform was DeviantArt, but it's quickly becoming a colder place to hang out. When people you talk to on a daily basis aren't watching you, you know the place is dead. >_>

I really hope I have better luck here at Newgrounds! I'm certainly going to make more of an effort to be a part of this community rather than dropping off new art and leaving silently.

I used to frequent this site around 2000-2002, so it's nice to come back after so long and see it thriving! ^_^"

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-15 13:15:57

As many others have said, thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm kicking myself after not utilizing such a welcoming platform with all this history, but I look forward to making a new home here for my art now that Tumblr/Verizon has made it clear that they don't value my work. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-19 17:11:34

At 12/7/18 04:38 PM, agvisitor wrote: Options for
1) Private User pages
2) Choice of which parts can be made private.

Private user pages hmm? Wonder how that'd work? Seems to defy the purpose of having a user page in the first place a bit. But I agree with #2. Would be great being able to choose which boxes show up there in the first place, not just their order. And of course, the more control the better.

At 12/8/18 01:59 AM, eelwaffles wrote: Is there any way that there can be an art gallery option where it's not just thumbnails on display? Sometimes its frustrating what an art piece shows, when I can only see a thumbnail? Even if its an paid/supporter option, that would be cool.

You can click those for the full version though. ;)

At 12/7/18 09:58 PM, SenpaiTreble wrote: Btw, quick question, does the number of votes you've casted show up in your profile anywhere? or just comments/favs? Call me weird, but i'd like to be able to see how many things I've casted votes on, since that's a big theme here on NG.

I remember asking that when I signed up waaay back in the day. XD And requesting it as a feature too. Staff didn't see a meaning with such a feature back then, and since then I pretty much stopped dreaming about such a feature, but maybe this time... we do have voting logs and all these days, it wouldn't be difficult to add a count...

and have it link back to that voting profile if it's clicked?

For this though, I hope that part remains private. Being able to vote anonymously allows you to vote fairly. If people knew what you were voting it seems probable you wouldn't really vote what you feel, but rather what you feel others will feel it's OK that you vote, right? I like the privacy in regard to these specifics.

At 12/7/18 11:17 PM, AJD-262 wrote: Thought it would have been dead with Joe Cartoon or is that still around as well?

Joe Cartoon's still around. :) Didn't know about that place before but it's about time! Thanks for that.

I do have a few sugestions. Changing the "Ratings" also resets the "Sort by" and this slightly annoying (by use of search bar only). Next to would be nice to have larger thumbnails for Art but I understand that this at best would require all current thumbnails to be replaced and at worst would break thumbnails for all current Art. Getting thumbnails up to 128x128 would be good. 256x256 would be great but probably best to do at a much later date.

Gotta second that first suggestion. As for thumbnails: the current ones were all manually cropped by the artists, so it'd be a shame to just throw those away, and I do like the compact layout it provides as is, but if alternative views were an option that'd be great! Could have something with full-image previews too.

At 12/9/18 07:50 AM, ClawClawTM wrote: and so now I'm here, ready to officially be in the community.

You are officially in, then! :D Welcome to the grounds!

I really look forward to the writers portal being added. I'm probably going to confine myself to the forum or commenting until that gets put together.

Looking forward to that day too! I guess you've found your way to the Writing Forum already? https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/forum/18

At 12/9/18 03:12 PM, Progenerate wrote: Hey Tom remember this? newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/13878

lolololol

How had I never seen that one before. XD Gotta eternalize that one...

At 12/7/18 06:00 PM, Ruehl21 wrote: Also what I like to see, haha. Especially when one of the ways to surf includes an option to exclude certain things.

Yeah that'd be useful too. :)

I guess... if you're posting it for others, let them vote. If you're posting it for you, then others don't really need to see it in the portal that's supposed to be for everyone, right? I think that's how it's meant to be, anyway.

Talking about Art here? The 'for the portal' option when you submit art is meant to be used for any work you feel you want to showcase, or anything that's finished, whereas more basic doodles, sketches, works in progress and such things shouldn't be posted there. It's only for finished work.

With the regular portal there's not much choice there, everything you submit appears in that main stream!

I think it'd be cool, if the artist is also on the same site, to send the artist a sort of "collab request" or something, and when they accept it, they're listed as the artist behind the piece.

That's pretty much how it works with all other content forms right now. :) Hopefully art gets the same functionality soon. And of course, some alternative if they don't have an account here, like you suggested.

Also... how about a preview function for forum posts? I wrote this post in a notepad doc so I could reply to more people easily and then realized I don't seem to have a way to preview it, so I won't know if the quotes will show up proper until I post, haha. It doesn't matter much, think of it as a low priority item at best, but it could be neat.

Agree with this too! Lots of good suggestions overall.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-19 17:16:47

At 12/15/18 01:15 PM, Lyonface wrote: As many others have said, thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm kicking myself after not utilizing such a welcoming platform with all this history, but I look forward to making a new home here for my art now that Tumblr/Verizon has made it clear that they don't value my work. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Nice to vaguely make your acquaintance! Welcome!

At 12/15/18 06:06 AM, yaggydigital wrote: I used to frequent this site around 2000-2002, so it's nice to come back after so long and see it thriving! ^_^"

Long time ago! Welcome back!

At 12/10/18 09:53 AM, erogenesis wrote: This place looks cool! and wtf, audio too? awesomesauce!

And that's not all! :D Welcome aboard!

At 12/10/18 08:32 AM, KittyStarfArts wrote: Hello noobie to newgrounds here, I followed the Tumblr crowd bit late lol i just wanted to say thank Chu for accepting us NSFW artists.

Welcome to the Grounds!

At 12/12/18 07:32 PM, BlackAnimation wrote: hell yeah

Ey, hope people keep making these! XD

At 12/14/18 03:31 PM, BoxOfWant wrote: Only missing a feature to upload multiple images and maybe subfolders (so i could upload comics) but i see there's already similar plans for the future, which is great to read.

And seems like that's in the works too. :) At least multiple images. Hope Playlists expand to allow for the latter too!

At 12/10/18 10:01 AM, IdiotCROW wrote: I started a tumblr pretty recent, but everyone was talking about how bad it was going, so here I am instead. Hello all, I've been told this place is good for art.

Hey, good thing you found out about this place before you poured in years worth in that other one! :) You've been told right! Welcome!

At 12/9/18 08:54 PM, Breedingduties wrote: I've only seen it mentioned a few times, but an anonymous askbox...

At 12/10/18 05:01 AM, ClawClawTM wrote: Those askboxes would be useful, but I don't think a PM system would hurt anything, especially if there are people that wanna be more social on here now that there's a bigger pool of people to talk to

Just so you know there is a PM system here, if you missed it. It's been around around a decade now and I really hope it doesn't suddenly get replaced by something else. It serves so many different purposes in whatever kind of different communications you have around here, collabs, requests, questions etc.

If an askbox is an easy feature to add then that'd be good too, but otherwise I feel PMs could be used fine for that purpose too. Just ask users to send in their questions that way and ensure they remain anonymous. Nothing's truly anonymous after all, but I think users would trust a respectable artist on something like this... hybrid idea: ability to send an anonymous PM... seems like that might be prone to abuse though.

BBS Signature

At 12/7/18 05:09 PM, TomFulp wrote: Here you go! We were once sued by a patent troll who had the patent on "playing music on a website accompanied by ads" but the existence of NG Music gave us prior art a year before their patent was filed.

Ah, nice! :D Things were so simple back then. And fun.

That sounds like something for the Wiki Stories section too... NG's the land before time in so many areas.

At 12/9/18 06:42 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're working on tag auto-complete which is due to requests for the Art Portal but will be useful everywhere ultimately. We could keep our parent / child navigation but have it change based on most popular tag usage - so when a tag becomes used enough it gets pulled into the nav.

If that's a possible way of expanding the categories without actually changing the base ones that'd be awesome! :D I feel like the selection as is is an impressively simple list considering how comprehensive it is. Wouldn't want to mess up that perfect order with...

Or we could just ditch parent child structure and have a big list of the most popular tags.

...something totally random and related only to popular demand. I mean Classical and Bluegrass really need that space too, even if electronic genres are basically where everything's at these days.

Seems it could be a good balance between what's most popular yet possibly missing and what genres might not be as popular but are so iconic they should really have a space there anyway. And who knows, maybe someone might become inspired to contribute some unusual music when they see them. Old genre renaissance again.

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-26 06:34:49

Perhaps a rather late entry here, but I'm part of the tumblr migration.

Hoping this place is ok with Daz content, seeing how it isn't all original content in the sense of all the assets that are used. Unsure whether not my stuff qualifies from what I read off of the rules and ToS page. Regardless, it's nice to see a place that's so warm and welcoming to people of culture. Now we won't have to live as nomads :)

Hoping my art qualifies as NG material ^^

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-29 13:36:42

At 12/26/18 06:34 AM, Novaksus wrote: Hoping my art qualifies as NG material ^^

Hey, you're never too late, and everything qualifies... no matter what the scores might tell you. ;) Welcome aboard!

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-31 21:46:12

When I first heard about Newgrounds reaching out to Tumblr users in the wake of their own version of LiveJournal's "strikethrough", at first I was like "huh, Newgrounds is still kicking!" Granted, I knew it still existed, but I thought that, by this point, the only users left were a shrinking "old guard" of users from the late '90s and 2000s reliving their nostalgia for Assassin games, Pico, and the Clock Crew. I thought Tom Fulp had long since moved on to making indie games like Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers. In short, I thought that Newgrounds was basically an archive of edgy internet humor from before social media and memes took over.

Welp, guess it's time to dust off this old account of mine. It's been too long. It's good to have a thriving video site devoted to animation again (or rather, to find that it was always here all along), since YouTube's focus on "churn out as much clickbait content as fast as possible" has really done a number on their animation communities.

At 12/31/18 09:46 PM, KevinR1990 wrote: Welp, guess it's time to dust off this old account of mine. It's been too long. It's good to have a thriving video site devoted to animation again (or rather, to find that it was always here all along), since YouTube's focus on "churn out as much clickbait content as fast as possible" has really done a number on their animation communities.

We've definitely been here all these years, the newer giants just stole the spotlight.

Welcome back though! Better now than never. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2019-01-05 23:36:28

At 12/3/18 05:50 PM, Furboz wrote: It's great to be here... I already love the site...

A little meme for the moment =)

It's really great to be there indeed! Thanks for suggesting me to come here! You saved my life! :D I wanted to reply to this post because of your meme, I wanted to say it's too awesome!! Made me laugh a lot hehehe ^^

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2019-01-05 23:43:53

It's great to be here I've been felt welcome! I'm very happy to see the support of all artist here, it's heartwarming! I think it's important to support our fellow tumbrl refugees, since it's difficult to start all over on a place where nobody knows you. if you're a tumbrl refugee and you're down because nobody knows you here, please let me know and I'll be glad to interact with you faving or giving feedback on your artwork! Or both, well, that depends of the time I willl have.

LOL

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2020-09-13 12:01:22

The site is so dry

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2023-01-13 15:56:54

At 12/7/18 05:56 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/6/18 10:18 PM, squarepeg3d wrote: I'm an old-timer compared to some folks here, I reckon. I remember the halcyon days of old, when Turtle Cannon, Stick Fight, Salad Fingers, Fur Baby, and Alien Hominid were all the rage. It's been years since I've been to the site from my time in middle school, and being back here again floods me with a wave of nostalgia, especially since the site layout more or less hasn't changed in over a decade. Sure, it's shinier, but it still feels like Newgrounds.
Thanks! It's not for everyone but that has been a big goal with the ongoing updates. I recently dug up my old "Newgrounds Atomix" site menu from 1998-1999 and was amused to see the word "Atomix" was almost the same orange gradient as the current "NEWGROUNDS" text in the header. I'll have to post a pic later when I'm at my office computer.

I want to see it!

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2023-10-14 03:35:57

As Twitter continues to axe adult art, I wonder if we'll be seeing a 3rd wave.

BBS Signature