00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists!

79,456 Views | 531 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds is currently experiencing a second great artist migration as Tumblr announced today that they will be removing ALL adult content on December 17th.

UPDATE: We added a lot of new capacity after traffic got super heavy; we'll be adjusting throughout the week.

UPDATE 2: Tag limit has been raised from 4 to 12. Daily art upload limit has been raised from 10 to 50.

UPDATE 3: We're doing double XP from today until end of day on December 12th. Vote on at least 10 items per day to gain 20XP!

Here are some notes if you are new to NG:

First, it's recommended that you create an account. You'll get less ads and more features.

You can upload your art here and read the rules here.

Your art will initially appear on your userpage and in search.

Once you have uploaded four pieces, you are eligible to be scouted by another artist in the community. Once you accept a scout invite, your art will appear in the main Art Portal listings.

You can follow artists and their latest work will show up on the front page "Latest From Your Friends and Favorites" box. The More button on that box goes to a full artist feed. From there you can get to an Art Only Feed as well.

We will be updating to show full art pieces in the feed, so you don't have to leave the feed to view art.

If you have audio in your feed, you can play it in-feed by clicking the thumbnail. It's gonna be cool when you can listen to new music while browsing new art, without leaving the feed.

Registered 18+ users have the ability to include adult content in listings. For an example, go to the Browse All Art page and look for the E, T, M, A buttons in the top right corner. Click the "A" to enable adult, then toggle the other categories to disable them if you like.

For an even better experience, become a supporter and browse Newgrounds ad-free! Newgrounds is disallowed from running Google ads, including Google-owned DoubleClick and the majority of Internet ad spending. This has really limited our resources over the years but we've become stronger for it. The migration in late November got us to 2,000 active supporters for the first time ever and now we've already crossed 2,100! Newgrounds will only get better with more supporters so THANK YOU everyone who has been coming aboard.

To repeat some more things from the previous welcome post, I want to remind people to not let any one type of content define Newgrounds for you. More than anything Newgrounds is about being creative and making cool stuff. We all come here to see and hear new things, get inspired and even meet people to collaborate with on projects. Many of us would love to see more pixel art, fan art, fine art, sci-fi futurism, you name it.

You may have noticed this post is in an older, non-mobile friendly layout. We've been overhauling one area at a time and the next to launch will be our updated forums. We'll also be updating the rich text editor in blogs so those will get a lot better. Check out the Community News and say hi to all the new people who are blogging!

We've documented a ton of feedback from new and returning artists and have a big list of improvements we want to prioritize in 2019. We're hoping everyone who is giving NG a chance will always feel great about their decision.

We want to hear your feedback, too! You can PM me or reply right in this thread. Let us know what parts of NG confuse you and what features you would like to see. I don't mind hearing repeats because it helps us know what there is the most demand for.

If you're an established artist and your name is taken here on Newgrounds, reach out to me and I might be able to help. Set up an account and PM me to discuss.

Looking for a more direct way to access NG on mobile? From your mobile browser, tap the Android Menu button or iOS Page Options button and select "Add to Home Screen." It's not an app but it continues to get better and lets you participate in the open web as it was intended.

Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 15:48:33

Very happy to see a second great artist migration. Tumblr has made another bad decision by removing all adult content on December 17th. NewGrounds will welcome them all with open arms.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 15:52:41

Tumblr fucking up this bad is so good for Newgrounds holy shit. I have to make my second "TUMBLR REFUGEES WELCOME" post now. There's so many new supporters too, it's amazing. Newgrounds is gaining more popularity again and it couldn't make me any happier.

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:02:09

I have a quick question regarding the mobile-friendly bit. Will there be an option to keep the older format of the site? I use NG on desktop, and not only am I more used to the old format, but I think it makes better use of screen space compared to the mobile-friendly format, which seems to focus on bigger "thumb-friendly" buttons and vertically-oriented screens.

If not I'll get used to it, but let it be known there's at least one person who'd like that choice.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:05:18

I can imagine atleast some people on Newgrounds office sitting around with some pretty shit eating grins right now.

Glad to see some platforms still supporting all creativity.

Wow so Tumblr decided to purge all adult artists by Dec 17th. Well that's great... Well welcome to any artist that is new to the website. The icon for NG on the iOS and android seems to be a white icon for now. I liked the previous mobile icon of NG, but that sort of doesn't exist in 2018 and onwards anymore... Looking forward to what NG has in store (I mean the website and layouts of course). I sort of dislike the new mobile icon.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:06:19

Hopefully multiple credits on the art page will be one of the first additions, help collabs sprout up!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:06:44

Welcome all new folks! We're happy to have you.

If someone says they AREN'T happy to have you, PM me and I'll punch them in their kneecap.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:12:08

At 12/3/18 04:02 PM, RedMarlin wrote: I have a quick question regarding the mobile-friendly bit. Will there be an option to keep the older format of the site? I use NG on desktop, and not only am I more used to the old format, but I think it makes better use of screen space compared to the mobile-friendly format, which seems to focus on bigger "thumb-friendly" buttons and vertically-oriented screens.

If not I'll get used to it, but let it be known there's at least one person who'd like that choice.

The older textured layout is eventually gonna go away completely. We've tried to keep the new desktop pages pretty similar in terms of layout, though. For example the front page is already on the new layout so it will stay like it is now, which is pretty similar to how it looked in the old layout on desktop.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:12:45

Honestly I've never felt so welcomed to a platform! Tumblr be damned! I'm staying!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:13:38

Hello, thanks for welcoming all the new artist, I just came from tumblr... It hurts to lose all the followers but I feel specially bad for all those artist who only had an account in tumblr and nowhere else, they get the biggest damage.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:14:32

Goddamn, it makes me pleased to see Newgrounds get so much support as of late. Can't wait to see the future of this site.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:16:15

Welcome. Welcome to Newgrounds. You've chosen or been chosen to relocate to one of the Internet's finest remaining NSFW centers. And so, whether you are here to stay or passing through on your way to parts unknown, welcome to Newgrounds. It's safer here.

"Mess with the tank and you'll walk the plank." - Someone

At 12/3/18 04:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
The older textured layout is eventually gonna go away completely. We've tried to keep the new desktop pages pretty similar in terms of layout, though. For example the front page is already on the new layout so it will stay like it is now, which is pretty similar to how it looked in the old layout on desktop.

You know what, that's fine. It's probably just me being stubborn to change.

I truly wish you luck, Tom. I hope Newgrounds gets the audience it so rightly deserves.

NG finally has a dedicated-ish app for mobile users? I know MindChamber was talking about it for years now that we need to be more mobile friendly, so this is great news! Hopefully this'll appeal to more and more people as they migrate to Newgrounds. Exciting stuff!

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:21:21

NEWGROUNDS WILL RISE AGAIN

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:23:30

Tumblr is very very dead now. And I have no idea how to use this site. Halp.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:24:11

Thanks. Newgrounds has been such a peach through all this. Happy to be here.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:25:18

At 12/3/18 03:48 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Very happy to see a second great artist migration. Tumblr has made another bad decision by removing all adult content on December 17th. NewGrounds will welcome them all with open arms.

Yeah, smart decisions have never really been Tumblr's strong suit. This just takes the cake though.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:25:35

At 12/3/18 04:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/3/18 04:02 PM, RedMarlin wrote: I have a quick question regarding the mobile-friendly bit. Will there be an option to keep the older format of the site? I use NG on desktop, and not only am I more used to the old format, but I think it makes better use of screen space compared to the mobile-friendly format, which seems to focus on bigger "thumb-friendly" buttons and vertically-oriented screens.

But Tooom, the old one was so much cooler, with all the metallic stuff! I don't wanna lose the badass Madness grunt at the bottom forever either! Could you please just make it an option for the old layout to be used? Maybe on Pico Day you could switch it back to that layout as a little treat?

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:26:03

Hoping all the new artists coming from Tumblr like it here and help continue to make Newgrounds a great place.

At 12/3/18 04:23 PM, Mizar5632 wrote: Tumblr is very very dead now. And I have no idea how to use this site. Halp.

You're free to PM me at any time with questions. You do that by going to my page and pressing the message button. Or in this older layout you can go directly there with the little mail icon in the top left corner. Or in the newer layout by pressing your own profile icon in the top right and going to "Private messages".
For now I leave you with this: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/faq
https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:36:36

Welcome new artists! I look forward to seeing your creative contributions to NG's art section, I also look forward to seeing many lewds (;

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:37:01

This is gonna be great! NewGrounds, our savior!

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:41:21

Do you think there’s room for greater support for sketches on that list of improvements?
I know that completed works are more valuable to show off, but I think having some kind of tab or filter or something for sketches in the art portal could go a long way for activity here. Artists can post stuff more often, and people still enjoy random sketches since they show off creative process, ideas, humor, all that good shit. Also it tells people that the artist they’re following aren’t dead.
I dunno, that’s my thoughts about it. If not, then I’m still looking forward to the improvements and changes coming to the site!

I’m rooting for you

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:41:59

Looks like I'll be here a while! So glad I made my account because I don't think much of my art is going to survive the Tumblr fire. 5 full years of posts gone...

It's so sad to see artistic freedom take steps back like this but at least there will always be sites like Newgrounds! I've been liking it for the week or so I've been here!

I feel like out of the big three names that people are jumping ship to - Twitter, Tumblr and Newgrounds - Newgrounds definitely stands the most to gain.

• Twitter has the biggest audience and doesn't censor, but has bad gallery, search and compression. It's probably too massive to make big changes and become a proper art site.
• Pixiv has good gallery functions, but limited audience and censors. Those limits are tied to it being in Japan, so it's unlikely to change a lot either.
• Newgrounds doesn't censor, has okay gallery functions and a small audience. It has the freedom to grow into a replacement, but question is whether it also has the funds and a smart development plan.

I hope these are exciting times for the Newgrounds team! Lots of people are talking about the site, lots of eyes are on it, and a lot of people are trying it out for the first time. Let's see what the team can do with this sudden chance they've been given.

P.S.
Personally the thing I'd like to see on Newgrounds the most is a multiupload function ála Tumblr, Twitter or Pixiv.

Something I feel needs desperate improvement is the tagging system when it comes to artworks, which would make it much easier to find the content you're after. It might be best for Newgrounds to adopt what Paheal websites currently do, which is have standardised tags that count how many times they're used. E.g. you start typing "Princess" and before you've even finished the word, the system auto-suggests "Princess_Peach (4297)" or other various princesses.

Right now the tags feel very unorganised and vary from person to person. This can be hell when it comes to characters like Tali from Mass Effect. One guys puts Tali, another puts Tali'Zorah, another puts Tali'Zorah_Nar_Rayya, and another dude puts Tali'Zorah_Vas_Normandy.

EDIT: Also the tags cap out at four, this isn't enough for a lot of artists.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:50:55

At 12/3/18 04:46 PM, Stuchinoko wrote: Something I feel needs desperate improvement is the tagging system when it comes to artworks, which would make it much easier to find the content you're after. It might be best for Newgrounds to adopt what Paheal websites currently do, which is have standardised tags that count how many times they're used. E.g. you start typing "Princess" and before you've even finished the word, the system auto-suggests "Princess_Peach (4297)" or other various princesses.

Right now the tags feel very unorganised and vary from person to person. This can be hell when it comes to characters like Tali from Mass Effect. One guys puts Tali, another puts Tali'Zorah, another puts Tali'Zorah_Nar_Rayya, and another dude puts Tali'Zorah_Vas_Normandy.

I agree, I wish to see artwork from unscouted artists in the tags as well instead of browing through the unscouted portal to look for the art you want to see.

Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-03 16:54:38

Something that I'm worried about and I'm sure that's why many artist were using tumblr and pixiv (sadly pixiv requires censorship) for such reason, is about uploading many pieces in one single post, they really like that feature, for example one work with many variations (you know the ones), comic type or sketch dumps that you could arrange in many ways, but I can't see how to do it here, like I can only upload one file so I would need to put all the pictures together as one or something like that?

Anyway, I think there will be a lot of demand for such thing.