ronniefinn
ronniefinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:06:27 Reply

Very glad to be here, though the layout has changed a lot since the last time I was here a long, long time ago. I see there are somehting like "projects", but they aren't there for art things. This could be a great way to get comics etc. more easily readable in-order without having to manually post links to each page. Is there something similar for art that I may be missing?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:08:24 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:06 PM, ronniefinn wrote: Very glad to be here, though the layout has changed a lot since the last time I was here a long, long time ago. I see there are somehting like "projects", but they aren't there for art things. This could be a great way to get comics etc. more easily readable in-order without having to manually post links to each page. Is there something similar for art that I may be missing?

We intend to move art into the project system but the initial benefit of that would be co-authoring. We still need to address things like multi-image in a single entry / toggling between entries that are part of a group.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DoktorNo
DoktorNo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:11:40 Reply

I dusted off my account here, after years of inactivity... I am amazed tat this page and community thrives despite so huge competition.

Terton
Terton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:12:42 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:11 PM, DoktorNo wrote: I dusted off my account here, after years of inactivity... I am amazed tat this page and community thrives despite so huge competition.

I mean, one of their competitors(?) just shot themselves in the mouth, so yeah... :v

artistofargoth
artistofargoth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:13:37 Reply

This has definitely been mentioned, and having not read the thread all the way through I'm sure it's been mentioned more than a couple of times, but you did say it would show extra support for the idea, so it still feels worth mentioning. The tagging system capping out at four is less than ideal, especially considering that the major influx is from Tumblr, which, for all its faults, has a pretty good tagging system on the whole, which allows for a heck of a lot more than four and also gives automated options so that people have a more unified approach to tagging their posts, making it easier to search for one subject matter.
That being said, I've been using this site for a while, on the whole I have a lot of respect for its legacy and the people responsible for it and I hope this marks a turning point for the better.

DoktorNo
DoktorNo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:17:23 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:12 PM, Terton wrote:
At 12/4/18 01:11 PM, DoktorNo wrote: I dusted off my account here, after years of inactivity... I am amazed tat this page and community thrives despite so huge competition.
I mean, one of their competitors(?) just shot themselves in the mouth, so yeah... :v

That's understatement: that was shooting itself in foot with cannon...

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy

(edit) Already 9 in the span of typing this!
Holy crap, 8 pages after only a few hours. I couldn't be any happier.
And welcome to all the new artists! There's so many new threads, I can't even keep up without sounding too automated.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
Terton
Terton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:20:01 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:13 PM, artistofargoth wrote: This has definitely been mentioned, and having not read the thread all the way through I'm sure it's been mentioned more than a couple of times, but you did say it would show extra support for the idea, so it still feels worth mentioning. The tagging system capping out at four is less than ideal, especially considering that the major influx is from Tumblr, which, for all its faults, has a pretty good tagging system on the whole, which allows for a heck of a lot more than four and also gives automated options so that people have a more unified approach to tagging their posts, making it easier to search for one subject matter.
That being said, I've been using this site for a while, on the whole I have a lot of respect for its legacy and the people responsible for it and I hope this marks a turning point for the better.

I think the only problem with Tumblr's tagging was that; despite allowing for loads of tags, only the first five were used for searches. All the others were just useful on you blog itself, which itself was okay but what would be the point of the tag if no one could find your post under the site-wide search.

afoxinabox
afoxinabox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator

Thanks Tom! any time you want some lewd arts you've got one on the house babe! <3

Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists!

artistofargoth
artistofargoth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:27:28 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:20 PM, Terton wrote:
I think the only problem with Tumblr's tagging was that; despite allowing for loads of tags, only the first five were used for searches. All the others were just useful on you blog itself, which itself was okay but what would be the point of the tag if no one could find your post under the site-wide search.

Good to point out cause it's something for Newgrounds to not do if they make any changes.

TheReviewTrickster
TheReviewTrickster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:38:17 Reply

Tom, are you relaly sure this counter isn't broken? Because I know that monthly goal was at 14 or 15% yesterday night.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!
Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature
KeaodenSilverstride
KeaodenSilverstride
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:38:45 Reply

This is wonderful to see, Ive literally not been on newgrounds since like 2008 or so and its so nice to see that a community wit welcoming so many people in a hard time! Im another one of the, um, refugees from Tumblr and I hope I can find some of the people I used to follow there on here.

Also if anyone could show me how to work this crazy interface I would really appreciate it!

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:41:51 Reply

At 12/3/18 10:32 PM, KernelCornstalk wrote: Not really much of an artist or anything, not even from Tumblr, but I heard word of the resurgence and decided to make an account before anyone claimed my username.

NewGrounds is open to everybody, not just artists. That was smart to make your account with your own username.

Have also been looking for a community online to call home for quite a while now with no luck, but I have hopes that this website. Hopefully it ain't just a fad

NewGrounds is not just a fad. It has been around since 1999. It became the best in 2004. ;)

At 12/3/18 10:43 PM, SoHaxing wrote: Can't wait to see how this will work out for the community. I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress and change happening.

It should work out excellent for the community. NewGrounds has so much content to offer the new artists, they will also have a place to upload their content. It will be a win - win.

At 12/3/18 10:42 PM, deathink wrote: I had the privilege of making a few of the emoji mood sets.

Those emoji sets look awesome. Very good work.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
Rsrdaman
Rsrdaman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:42:48 Reply

The worst site on the web finally falls and one of the best is returning to it's old glory? Things couldn't be better!

BBS Signature
JoanDark
JoanDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 13:43:48 Reply

Hello! I am JoanDark (Jesse) and I am one of the ones who are about to get hit by Tumblr new policies. I thank you all for the warm welcome to us NSFW artists!
I am a nsfw and sfw content freelancer Illustrator, I mostly draw homoerotica and pinups of males (OCs, fan characters, etc). I will be submitting new artwork on the days to come. I will carefully read the guilines reguarding NSFW content trying to keep my best behavior!

Just wanted to say hi and give thank you all for being this welcome! <3
-JoanDark

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Musician
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:00:03 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:38 PM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Tom, are you relaly sure this counter isn't broken? Because I know that monthly goal was at 14 or 15% yesterday night.

I would say that's accurate. Before I went to sleep last night, it was at around 25%, I would say it is increasing quickly due to how many people are migrating / rejoining the website.

Request Reviews // #7 Reviewer // #2 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
happimessmedia
happimessmedia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate

Thank you, everyone, for being so welcoming to me and other new artists at Newgrounds! As a long-time user of Tumblr, I'm very disappointed by the no-adult-content decision, but I'm looking forward to exploring the Newgrounds community.

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Melancholy

At 12/4/18 01:41 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Those emoji sets look awesome. Very good work.

thanks my man

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:05:02 Reply

At 12/3/18 10:50 PM, DanGR-Artworks wrote: Hey, everyone! New artist here. I don't want my stuff to be exclusive to DA, so I made this account. I used to have a Tumblr too, but I wasn't too fond of that place, and the recent controversy made me quit.

Welcome to NewGrounds. Tumblr has let everybody down. You make the right decision to quit it.

I'm a SFW artist, but I just didn't want to support Tumblr after all the crap they've done. I've been lurking around Newgrounds for a while, and I'm super glad that it's been gaining a ton of support!

After all the lurking, you finally made an account. That is awesome. Looking forward to all of your art. :)

At 12/3/18 10:53 PM, agvisitor wrote:
There is however a "Always appear offline" option in your account settings. It makes you less visible on the site(such as reactions). If you really don't want to draw attention to your profile, I suggest avoiding creating new threads in the forums.

There are several ways to keep your account on the down low. No worries at all.

Speaking of which, perhaps some privacy features would be a neat addition to the site...

NewGrounds could always add more. Make a suggestion and we can have a discussion.

At 12/3/18 11:07 PM, MPCreativeArts wrote: Hi everyone! Tumblr refugee here. I had no idea this place was so vast!

Welcome to NewGrounds. You could spend most of your life checking out all the movies, art, music, and games we have to offer.

At 12/3/18 11:08 PM, Chodak wrote: I welcome our new Tumblr friends.

Everybody from Tumblr is more than welcome to join us here. If you ever need help, don't be afraid to ask.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
WhisterWhy
WhisterWhy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:05:27 Reply

Praise the beginning of NG's second golden age!

May this site forever stand as a beacon for young and skilled creators to prove themselves to the world!

~Whister

Striekoza
Striekoza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:06:01 Reply

Hole shit! I was here!

TheAstra
TheAstra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:06:30 Reply

@TomFulp
I have been welcoming people to the site and noticed that a couple of them don't know what scouting means or even didn't notice that their art pieces didn't appear in the main art page (Must admit I had that problem too when I joined a while ago).
Maybe a message telling newcomers how it works would help. (If they read it at all)
Or maybe gamify with achievements and such to help people set up their page. (Something like twitch did?)

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:29:55 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:38 PM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Tom, are you relaly sure this counter isn't broken? Because I know that monthly goal was at 14 or 15% yesterday night.

It's a Christmas miracle.

BBS Signature
SnootAnon
SnootAnon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Art Lover
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:33:20 Reply

>tfw I started shifting toward this site five months ago from Tumblr before all of what is going on now.
>tfw close friends told me it was a bad idea and that Newgrounds was old and ded.
>tfw those same people are now jumping on to Newgrounds now that Tumblr is dying.
I know I should feel smug, but screw it, I'm smug as fuck right now.

Seeing this site crash from the amount of people flocking to it was a beautiful site, and gives me more hope for the future of this site. I'm happy that that people from Tumblr are finally taking their content to this site. Tumblr really didn't care about content creators on it's site, and it showed since they were always rolling out with some new feature that suppressed them. People had to post about workarounds to trick the algorithms in to actually showing their content in searches on the site, and to actually show up for those who didn't have an account. I know I constantly had to use these exploits just because I occasionally sketched a naked body once or twice. The false flagging of content was awful in 2016 (a lot of my clearly SFW content was being marked as sensitive), and has gone in to absolute overdrive due to the new features rolling out. Tumblr's own post about changing the site "for the better" was flagged by the system; that's how bad it is now. I know for a fact that this site will be better for those escaping the dumpster fire that is Tumblr right now. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a resurgence of this site amongst general internet users.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:33:57 Reply

At 12/4/18 02:06 PM, TheAstra wrote: @TomFulp
I have been welcoming people to the site and noticed that a couple of them don't know what scouting means or even didn't notice that their art pieces didn't appear in the main art page (Must admit I had that problem too when I joined a while ago).
Maybe a message telling newcomers how it works would help. (If they read it at all)
Or maybe gamify with achievements and such to help people set up their page. (Something like twitch did?)

Yeah I think we need to note their current progress right on the art submission form (plus check the "Include in Art Portal" box by default) and even give them a nudge for PM each time, reminding them how many more pieces they need to be eligible and things they could do to get more feedback.

BBS Signature
Orsess
Orsess
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:37:18 Reply

Got to have to thank Tumblr for crashing down so i finally got to know that this site existed as a major NFSW (and SFW) content site, heck even some of the flash games i played in my childhood came from there, a shame i forgot about this site back then.
Its so good to have another source for NFSW material, lost nothing cause i didnt go to Tumblr.

VenusianCraft
VenusianCraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:41:59 Reply

Hey all~ Tumblr refugee, I like drawing cute nekkid girls; especially monster girls. Like a lot of folks I remember hanging out on NewGrounds as a kid but I never considered using it as a portfolio/networking site for my artwork. I'm glad to have joined though and am eager to start working again.

TheReviewTrickster
TheReviewTrickster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Movie Buff

At 12/4/18 02:29 PM, TomFulp wrote:
It's a Christmas miracle.

Oh, I love that! But have you seen this edit made by @SevenSeize that I use as the symbol of the cult I've developed about you?

I'm one of the few religious leaders in the world who don't lie when they say their god has talked to them. Well, typed at them, at least.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!
Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature
StarstruckEchoid
StarstruckEchoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:49:12 Reply

As one such 2nd wave migrant, I appreciate the hospitality. I do hope this place can become a better platform for me than Tumblr ever was. We'll see. At least the UI here is delightfully early-2000s, and I think that's pretty adorable.

EmpressBridle
EmpressBridle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Welcome, 2nd Wave of New Artists! 2018-12-04 14:49:46 Reply

feeling already good here :D