00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Troggie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of November 2017!

9,140 Views | 28 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 16:19:52

Last weekend was Ludum Dare 40 and we're showcasing a bunch of web game entries here on NG. I'm excited every time Ludum Dare rolls around because NG gets treated to a ton of cool little games. For me personally, I wish every day in the games hub looked like Ludum Dare but not everyone shares my tastes; one person even asked us to create a filter to remove LD entries from the listing! I feel like NG needs more small experimental games by passionate devs, not less.

Most people already get this but I'll still say it: when reviewing entries from game jams such as Ludum Dare, keep in mind they are made in under 48-72 hours. It's totally fine to give advice and suggestions for how the games could be improved but do it from a position of understanding the idea was executed quickly. A lot of these games and developers show great promise and I'd hate for them to have a bad experience on NG.

In a story that feels kind of related, I reached out to an artist this week about an animation I thought would be enjoyed here on NG. The artist took a look around and felt their work was too "artsy" and that NG felt more geared towards comedy and parody. It was a reasonable observation. I just want anyone out there listening to know that a lot of people here are big fans of animation in general and we would love to see fresh new styles, original stories and experimentation. Newgrounds at its best should feel like a creative explosion every day and I don't want anyone to be able to pigeonhole it.

All that being said, we did have some damn good video game parodies last month.

Your votes are in and here are the Best of November!

Top Five Movies

Top Five Games

Runner-up Movies

6. I lie to myself
7. Newgrounds Redux: Metal Gear Awesome 3
8. Etiquette Class : Foamy The Squirrel
9. Angry Video Game Nerd Anime: Part 2 (feat. Nostalgia Critic, Pat Contri & MatPat)
10. Sublo & Tangy Mustard #8 - Roommate
11. Emperor Palpamean
12. "IS IT OKAY IF I CHANGE MY ORDER?"
13. "Swift & Loose": Episode 1
14. Game Devs : Foamy The Squirrel
15. Harmless Guest: No Evil 028
16. Wash It
17. TD-Computers
18. Marth is OP
19. A Samurai Story
20. Attack of the Mothman

Runner-up Games

6. Witch N' Wiz
7. Tower of Tune
8. CORPORATE SALMON
9. Contradiction
10. Kirigami
11. Outfoxed!
12. Dreamcharmer
13. Cave Legacy
14. Invader Overload
15. Brick Breaker Intergalactic!
16. Arc Shield
17. Bouncing Balls
18. Maze Dog
19. Constellation
20. Upside Down Asylum

The voter of the month and winner of honorary Supporter status is @ZeroSpawn47!

Thank you everyone who participated in November!

Be sure to stop by Sunday, when we find out if the community revived Robot Day has legs. As usual I regret not pushing it harder, the internet should be able to come together around robots.

For Pixel Day we've commissioned this cool logo by @puppiesandanime to build social media buzz. This event should attract every pixel and chiptune artist on the web and it isn't living up to its potential until that happens. Spread the word to your favorite artists and developers in the 8 & 16-bit realm!

We're gearing up to launch a bunch of updates before Christmas. Expect the new audio and art pages first, followed by new user pages with a new site header. IT'S HAPPENING!

After Christmas we'll be working on the new game and animation pages. Ideally I'd like to remove the banner ad that appears above animations and the skin ads that appear alongside games. NG can't actually afford to remove ads but I'm sick of ugly pages. We've had ugly ads on pages for our entire existence and I want to see what happens if they go away. Will more people become supporters or will we drive right off a cliff? We're already off the cliff so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I won't sugar coat it, NG needed to pass 3,000 supporters by the end of this year and has fallen way short. We DO have more than we had at the end of last year, which alone is a big achievement because most people buy one-time upgrades that expire. It would mean the world to us if many many more of you came aboard, especially for monthly recurring subscriptions. It's just $3 a month and you get cool perks!

https://www.newgrounds.com/supporter

We just need to convert a fraction of a percent of you. Be part of that 0.1%! Bug your friends to be part of the 0.1%!

I don't even know how many people read this much of a news post which is probably part of our problem too.

Best of November 2017!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 16:38:18

November had some great flashes. Good work everybody.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 17:04:06

Weird question, may or may not be update related.

1) is it possible to have profile icons be animated

2) can art portal entries either be animated or have an icon that denotes its an animated gif? Thats pretty much all i upload nowadays and im tired of people thinking i dont animate anymore! i do, just in the art portal more!

also first post.

Best of November 2017!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 17:06:34

Ludum Dare is always pretty great. Hopefully sometime in the future I can make some good ass weird experimental games of ur dreams Tom.
This months submissions were pretty rad as well, my favourite toon was get outta my car and my fav game was Constellation by TerryCavanagh!
I might be able to get a small little game out for Robot Day, this would be my first submission to a Robo Day!

Also I shared the pixel day info to /r/pixelart if yall wanna give me upvotes heheeheh https://redd.it/7i9x0n

Looking forward to all the fancy updates and stuff, especially audio stuff

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 17:23:35

At 12/7/17 05:04 PM, Luis wrote: Weird question, may or may not be update related.

That would really interesting.

2) can art portal entries either be animated or have an icon that denotes its an animated gif? Thats pretty much all i upload nowadays and im tired of people thinking i dont animate anymore! i do, just in the art portal more!

Animated art? This is like, The problems of the Future today.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 17:24:25

At 12/7/17 05:04 PM, Luis wrote: Weird question, may or may not be update related.

We plan to accept animated profile pics in an update but have to decide if they would actually be animated everywhere they show up, or just on your user page. Decent chance it will just be on the user page and everywhere else it would appear static. Maybe animate on rollover if we get fancy.

If we do animate-on-rollover that would be slick too, although the way Art Portal thumbnails work right now is as a crop of the original art, which probably wouldn't work well for that... But something to denote animated could be interesting, as well as a way to just browse animated uploads... Our elasticsearch server gives us more flexibility with showing and sorting specific things and we're hoping to do a lot of cool stuff with that in 2018.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 17:29:53

Ludum Dare creates some great games, I don't know why anyone would want to take them out of the listing, Even as a filter.

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 17:51:16

My first time in the monthly top 5 since joining the site! Super cool :D

Congrats to all the other winners too!!

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 20:19:41

I was going to vote but I got sidetracked, sorry about that.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-07 21:59:19

At 12/7/17 04:19 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're gearing up to launch a bunch of updates before Christmas. Expect the new audio and art pages first, followed by new user pages with a new site header. IT'S HAPPENING!

Ahh, UPDATES! Finally!

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 01:45:34

At 12/7/17 05:29 PM, InspiroBot wrote: Ludum Dare creates some great games, I don't know why anyone would want to take them out of the listing, Even as a filter.

Ludum Dare is always good times. Why would anybody want to remove them?

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 06:19:52

November was FN Awesome!

All of the submissions on that list are downright inspiring

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 07:22:09

Thanks to everyone who voted. This is my first ever monthly 1st in 12 years of being on the site! Much love :)

Nearly all my stuff! http://www.MadeByChaz.com

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 11:16:07 (edited 2017-12-08 11:16:29)

Seems like it's been a good month! On all fronts but finances. That's some harsh truths, though better keep those ads if there's any benefit at all. Would be one incentive less to become a supporter without them, IMO, all streams small...

Agree there are so many gems among those LD games too, it always feels like an early Christmas when the time comes!

I'm glad /v/Rage got into the winners, awesome animation in that one, but would've hoped for some others otherwise, some of the ones with depth and feels beyond the limits of which the mortal mind might appeal... Congrats to all though!

Hyped about them userpage changes.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 17:06:07

At 12/8/17 11:53 AM, tyler2513 wrote: All these dang ol' flash movies making me want to play dang ol' Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey is an awesome game. All you need is a Switch and you could be playing it right now. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 19:07:41

Congrats to all the winners!

If you lived thru the pandemic this is your wake up call to stop being a shithead.

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-08 21:16:05

Amen to that. Looking forward to the updates!

Also, results from the Ludum Dare are great. Makes me really inspired!
I might join the next one :O

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-09 06:19:19

Congrats to the winners! The Ludum Dare and similar entries are necessary - they help to find interesting fresh ideas and so on. So I guess they must be on the list! Can't wait for the next special days and improvements. As for the supporting - for some technical reasons with patreon I can't make an automatically recurring subscription, but I refresh my supporter status each month, maybe I'm not alone in this.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-09 08:27:35

At 12/9/17 06:19 AM, RemileOduen wrote: Congrats to the winners! The Ludum Dare and similar entries are necessary - they help to find interesting fresh ideas and so on. So I guess they must be on the list! Can't wait for the next special days and improvements. As for the supporting - for some technical reasons with patreon I can't make an automatically recurring subscription, but I refresh my supporter status each month, maybe I'm not alone in this.

I know Germany doesn't allow payment subscriptions, so people in Germany can't use that feature in Paypal and other sites. Your profile says Russia... Maybe something similar is going on there, not sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-09 13:04:58

Congrats to the winners!!

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-09 13:59:46

Just like the game awards, it was obvious that Cuphead was going to win something

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-09 16:00:08

@TomFulp I hate to be one of the many people who ask, but do you know what the situation is on selling more Newgrounds merchandise (besides Sharkrobot's current things)? I want more NG stickers :3

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-09 20:58:21

At 12/9/17 01:59 PM, LordPotatoSenpai wrote: Just like the game awards, it was obvious that Cuphead was going to win something

Cuphead did have plenty of support and likes.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-10 04:02:51

At 12/9/17 08:27 AM, TomFulp wrote: I know Germany doesn't allow payment subscriptions, so people in Germany can't use that feature in Paypal and other sites. Your profile says Russia... Maybe something similar is going on there, not sure.

I'm pretty sure that's the case. We have plenty of dumb or strange limitations here.

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-10 11:53:04

Ah, my top game vote came second. Enjoyed playing almost all the games- the platformers didn't do as well I thought- and clearly the other voters didn't appreciate Pencilvania as much as I did!

Alas, my game didn't even qualify but there's always next time...

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-10 12:01:14

so this is just a very simple sketch ps my first challenge of the month

Best of November 2017!

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-10 13:15:39

At 12/10/17 11:53 AM, KrunchyFriedGames wrote: Ah, my top game vote came second. Enjoyed playing almost all the games- the platformers didn't do as well I thought- and clearly the other voters didn't appreciate Pencilvania as much as I did!

Alas, my game didn't even qualify but there's always next time...

I feel guilty that I still haven't front paged Pencilvania. A bunch of other games had just gone up at the time and I put it off, then never got it up there. Now I've got a ton of Ludum Dare games I want to front page but I'm trying to let the existing ones up there get a decent amount of plays first.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-10 13:40:05

At 12/10/17 11:53 AM, KrunchyFriedGames wrote: Ah, my top game vote came second. Enjoyed playing almost all the games

That does not happen often. Did you take a screen shot of your pics?
Next time you should try to pick all the number one games.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of November 2017! 2017-12-11 14:22:54

Lots of great choices, always fun to see all the new stuff coming out.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature