Just beat the game, here's my thoughts!
- I think the levels lacked variety and were dragging on for too long. By stage 4, I was hoping that the game would end sooner than later.
- All levels felt the same (other than the graphics) with mostly the same enemies and moving/ bouncing platforms. The color palette often made it difficult to distinguish the background from the platforms and the enemies / bullets.
- I think it would be better if it was possible to shoot faster when quickly tapping the button rather than being stuck with the slow rate of fire, especially with the default weapon.
- The plane sequence at the end was totally unexpected and pretty cool, even though the controls felt a bit awkward.
- The music was buggy in stage 4 and 5, constantly cutting off every 10 seconds or so.
- In conclusion, I thought it was a really cool game and had a pretty fun time with it, but it could have been better with more variety and better graphics. It reminded me more of Contra Force than Contra.
Thank you for the review, i try to add variety as i update the game. The music can have issues with certain browsers but i have not experienced the kind you explained, wich browser were you using? I try to see what can be done. I also try to tweak the shooting speed a bit for the next version. It took me 4 years to coomplete making this game, as i did it alone, but it is no excuse for lack of variety. :)
Best way for me to make it better is to get honest reviews like this, so thank you very much sir.
Well done! I remember playing a game like this with my dad on the original PlayStation when I was around 9 or 10. It really brought back that great, familiar feeling, especially with the music.
Thank you sir!
Awesome game dude PERIOD.
Really miss the up or space key to jump tough.
Since that's what I am used to from games. Have to really get used to the jump key.
Which makes this game a bit too challenging hence frustrating to me
I see no problem adding space bar jump to the mix, maybe alt ctrl shoot aswell, but im in cambodia-thai-laos trip until february, and can only update the game once i get home as GamesByMichi is just, well, me. But i hope you can get a hold of a nice retro style usb controller as it feels just right with the game :) sorry for the delay and thank you for the review!!
My honest opinion. You bring back the intensity that i have been craving for in video games for the last ten years!!! You have what it takes to bring back the video game industry from falling to its knees!! I honestly don't know what you have in store for your future but, without a doubt you bring hope back to the gaming industry!! Go big and go loud you sir deserve yourself that Nintendo award! Go fight for it!! You will own the industry with the way you are going with this and i don't mean just this game in general, you sir i will follow for years to come!!
I shall bow to you, sir. Thank you!
Fun, and has great music! Jumping and shooting definitely has an NES-shooter feel to it, for better and for worse. I always felt like those games were a little bit floaty, but if that's the feel you were going for, then I think you nailed it. Great job! :D
Thank you for the review! :) And yes, i sure did try to mimic the feel of my favorite NES/ SNES games.