00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lewdinitiative just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

20,937 Views | 293 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-09-25 19:59:39

At 9/24/09 10:44 PM, Elfer wrote: !

Someone else who has actually performed! I did a bit of stand-up when I was 16 and 17, but didn't really continue in university as I got wrapped up in writing for a comedy paper instead.

What was the weirdest show you've ever done? Mine was some event at my high school, and it was primarily a music event (i.e. zero people who went there to see comedy). I get there and ask them what the schedule is supposed to be, and the conversation basically went like this:

<Organizer> Oh yeah, okay, we put you down for a thirty minute slot. And you're on first.
<Me> What.

I knew there was no way I could go on for a cold crowd that was expecting only bands, so after some quick negotiating, I convinced him to put someone else on for a song first and break my set into two fifteen minute blocks, and ran off to hammer out two set lists, which due to the HUGE time slot consisted of almost all new material.

A few jokes flopped, but for the most part things went surprisingly well, all things considered.

I guess I had a slightly weird situation when I had prepared a 2 minute routine but then the guy said I had 45 minutes. I did the full 45 just using ALL my material. It started out weird but got really good. I'm pretty confident.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-09-28 18:54:27

So, does anyone have any tips for a young guy wanting to get in on the business? I'm 16 right now, and I've heard the traditional "Open Mic Night" advice, but is there anything else I can do? Any good ways to prepare for the future?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-09-28 22:07:17

Too bad you guys are not french speaking and from Quebec, because we got the best Stand Up Comedy in the world :D

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-09-29 10:38:12

At 9/28/09 06:54 PM, puddinN64 wrote: So, does anyone have any tips for a young guy wanting to get in on the business? I'm 16 right now, and I've heard the traditional "Open Mic Night" advice, but is there anything else I can do? Any good ways to prepare for the future?

- Carry a notebook and pen everywhere. Write everything down without worrying whether or not it's good enough, and sort out the good ones later. Eventually you want to build up roughly 45 minutes to an hour of solid material with no filler. This will let you tailor a short set to a specific audience, and do a long set when you need to.
- Obsess over the words you use. Good delivery can't save a bad joke, but bad delivery will ruin a good joke. The words you speak should flow, they should feel good in your ear, they should pop in all the right places, etc. Obviously your entire routine doesn't need to be memorized down to the letter, but there's certain lines and phrases that you're going to want to hit just right.

It might sound like just general advice, but that kind of polish is what separates a good act from one that seems clumsy and amateurish. George Carlin is a great example of someone that was very well-liked by audiences because even if not everyone liked his material that much, everything he said on stage was delivered almost flawlessly.

Dead.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-09-29 17:37:14

At 9/29/09 10:38 AM, Elfer wrote: George Carlin is a great example of someone that was very well-liked by audiences because even if not everyone liked his material that much, everything he said on stage was delivered almost flawlessly.

PUSSY FARTS!

I heard on one of the Seinfeld DVD extras that Jerry would force himself to sit at his desk and work for however many hours every day. Then filter out the bad stuff, etc (basically what you said).

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-11-04 09:40:15

So, I'm seeing Stewart Lee tonight :D. Last time I saw him my throat was sore from laughing, I predict a similar pain tonight :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-11-04 18:57:46

Gaelic: language of the gays

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-11-05 16:01:31

At 11/4/09 06:57 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Gaelic: language of the gays

And William Wallace was a paedophile :P.

He was very good. The show didn't hit the highs of either Stand Up Comedian or 90's Comedian, but it was either better or just as good as 41st Best Stand Up Ever.

It was funny, but Stewart can say anything and I'll laugh. But the topics weren't as memorable as 9/11 or Religion as in the first two shows of his I mentioned.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-12-05 18:42:41

for you stewart lee fans
http://stagevu.com/video/ubdyygmgknuj

Minion of the Metal Hell

Last.fm/Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-12-05 18:54:52

At 12/5/09 06:42 PM, Charon wrote: for you stewart lee fans
http://stagevu.com/video/ubdyygmgknuj

<-- totally owns that anyway.
<-- uses one of the postcards that came with it as a bookmark.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2009-12-21 21:44:35

I'm personally a big fan of Jim Gaffigan

Hot pockets :3

thelittleemo is mai butt buddy ;D

96 bitter beings

Whose Line is it anyway?

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-01-14 16:54:14

I declare myself in.

Didn't see it before.

I am a huge fan of Dara O'Brian, Frankie Boyle and Al Murray.
All hail the ale!

On April 27th I am watching Dara live at Liverpool, I may be right at the back but it's still going to be good.
Also on October 25th I am watching Frankie in Manchester, not bad seats but not amazing seats. I can't wait.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-01-14 17:06:22

At 1/14/10 04:54 PM, Simple wrote: I declare myself in.

I see the subtle approach works :).

I am a huge fan of Dara O'Brian, Frankie Boyle and Al Murray.
All hail the ale!

Yey Dara.
Boo Frankie.
Yey Al.

On April 27th I am watching Dara live at Liverpool, I may be right at the back but it's still going to be good.

It'd be nice to be at the front for Dara, just as he's very positive with his crowd interaction, if you were chosen it'd be an ace ego boost.
I say for Dara because I think being near the front for Ross Noble I think would only be intimidating. Or you'd go home questioning your sanity.

And speaking of Ross my sister bought me Nobleism for christmas. It's not as good as his previous shows as too much is spent talking to this one annoying Liverpool lass who pissed in a bin, and reading all the shit that gets thrown on stage from people wanting to be involved in the show in their pathetic ways.

Also on October 25th I am watching Frankie in Manchester, not bad seats but not amazing seats. I can't wait.

Me neither, as its his last tour :D.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-02-07 20:07:13

Any of you guys ever watch Russel Peters? He's so fucking funny.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-02-07 21:13:55

Hy why not. I enjoy watching stand up. I especially like some of Robin Williams and Chris Rock reruns.

Uncle Sam said- I want you for the U.S. Armed Forces!

I said- I want YOU to get a real job!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-02-08 02:31:42

May I join?

Favorite stand up comedians

. Dave Chapelle
. Gabriel Iglesias(Don't think it's spelled that way)
. Steve Hughes
. Magnus Betnér (Swedish comedian)
. Occational Pablo Fransico

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-02-14 18:01:55

So, I think now would be a fine time to tell you guys who my favorite comics are:

George Carlin
Zach Galifianakis
Dave Chapelle
Frank Caliendo
Maria Bamford
Richard Pryor

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-04-08 20:07:06

Everyone watch these 3 short videos.

It's the most brutal case of heckling you'll ever see.
That is how you die on your arse, she's almost made an artform of it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-20 19:19:14

Just like last year I've recently got home from a festival that had tonnes of comedians on. So I'll rattle through who I saw, just to give this thread a little jolt before someone inevitable joins and no one ever posts again.

Emo Philips:
Obviously he's a legend and he was amazing. He's a weird motherfucker but he's funny as hell.

Ardal O'Hanlon
(Dougal from Father Ted): Decent enough, nothing exceptional sadly, but its nice to have seen him.

Rich Hall:
Another headliner, one of the best acts I saw but despite me finding him very funny I don't find him as exciting as others.

Stephen K. Amos:
Similar to Rich but no way near that level. Same material I've heard so many times before.

The Early Edition with Marcus Brigstocke:
Phil Jupitus' Improv. Show:
Both of these were hour long openers in the morning, the first just going through the newspapers and Phil and Co improving scenarios in a variety of ways. Marcus' show is always a good laugh first thing in the morning. And Phil has a status as a rare legend of stand up and he definately delivered. Was very impressive and another highligh.

Kevin Eldon:
Sadly only 10 minutes of fairly bland comedy songs. But he's another legend of British TV so I enjoyed it plenty :).

Richard Herring:
I perhaps found it more funny than others as I love him. Mostly material I've heard before but he's someone I've wanted to see live for a while so I'm happy in that regard. He had a shitty joke where he just repeated the words 'Maaaarrs Bar' for a minute. I still laugh at that even though it made no sense.

Mark Watson:
100% Pear, 0% Disappointment. I like him from Fighting Talk and Mock the Week, etc and he was probably my second favourite comedian of the weekend after Emo.

Rufus Hound:
He was great with the Early Edition, nothing special on his own. Material I've mostly heard before, but I kind of like him anyway and I'm incredibly tolerant.

Andrew Lawrence:
One of the few comedians I didn't enjoy, he just tells anecdotes fast and in Irish which is quite impressive, but not funny, and his accent isn't the funny kind of Irish (which I didn't think existed).

Holly Walsh:
I was looking forward to seeing her and she wasn't really as good as I'd hoped. Only had a small set mind, but she's lovely on the eyes.

Seann Walsh:
Another I wasn't fond of. He talked way to slow and lethargically, which isn't great when you need to keep your audience entertained. Not unfunny though, just a bit boring.

Josie Long:
Another who I'd been wanting to see for a while and she was like the only one who actually lived up to and exceeded the hype. Came out doing this weird ignorant chav astronaut Q&A thing then turned normal torwards the end. I seriously love her now :).

Miles Jupp:
Spent the first half of his set bashing the area of the country where I live with all the middle class folk (ie, everyone else) laughing away, so I was quite offended at the start. Then he layed off us commoners and was very good.

Terry Alderton:
Kind of like a Posh Al Murray without the mock-racism. Never heard of him before but he was great. He pretty much made me laugh in every way possible.

Doc Brown:
A comedian meets rapper who was very impressive. Sort of like comedy Professor Green.

Joe Bor:
I saw him last year and fell in love with him. He was only compering one day this year so it was just him hyping others up and doing material I've heard before. But cause I love him I don't care.

Chris Ramsey:
A Geordie bloke we stumbled across in the Cabaret Tent who turned out to be one of the finds of the weekend. Talked about his time in the audience for a Jeremy Kyle show and was great.

Al Pitcher:
Another compere guy who I don't know and can't really remember which one he was.

Andi Osho:
Not a fan at all. Never liked her but Rich Hall was after so I had to sit through it. Probably wasn't as bad as Andrew Lawrence, but wasn't better either.

Abandonman:
Some musical/rapper comedy guys again. Only saw a bit of their set and it was alright.

Simon Evans:
Can't really describe him, I liked him though. He didn't really fit in with all the other enthusiastic comics. He was just sort of calm and almost-deadpan.

Ivo Graham:
Came runner up in the New Act of the Year contest. I agreed with that choice on the day of the competition but on the Sunday when he got another set his secondary material was far better than the guy who'd won. He'll definately go places. He's only like 18 too, the cunt!

Eric Lampert:
The guy who won. I liked his first set as used his ability to speak French and Dutch really well and was something a bit different. The second set you could tell he no way near enough back up material and basically just became Russel Brand. So he'll definately become huge. He's also the bloke with the weird face who goes 'WHATS YO VIVA!' on Viva, if anyone elses watches that shitty Freeview channel :P.

Daniel Kitson & Gavin Osbourne:
Saw two of their stories at 12am. Both had bits of Daniel's humour in (the second being the more comic) but they were mainly storytelling about love and friendship. Given they were told on a lake with massive fake flowers lit up and trees and stuff all round it was a beautiful place to have them read and was genuinely going through all the emotions. Beautiful stuff :).

Chris Morris:
Just a Q&A after his film Four Lions was shown. But he's another legend on comedy even if he wasn't being particularly comic. He's been my hero for half my life too, so I loved being in the same room as him.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-21 07:12:27

Lewis Black is illegal in most countries for causing Death By Laughter.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-21 17:22:10

At 7/21/10 07:12 AM, SapphireLight wrote: Lewis Black is illegal in most countries for causing Death By Laughter.

Like many a Yank comedian (besides the mega big ones) I only know him thanks to Charlie Brooker having him as a guest on Screenwipe.
I enjoyed his little rant about people would watch a bowl of steaming shit everyday, but I never actually bothered to go check out more of his stuff like I did with Doug Stanhope.
And this is the cue for the club to die again...

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-22 02:39:14

He's really fantastic, although he does a lot of American politics material. I suggest you watch his HBO special "Black on Broadway", that's easily my favourite and doesn't have very many American references.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-22 06:38:42

AHHHHHH! STAND UP COMEDY! I live for it. I usually watch some everyday whether it be live or a comedy special. I can't get enough, great group you got here.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-22 19:50:55

At 7/21/10 05:22 PM, Nev wrote: And this is the cue for the club to die again...

sorry. I haven't heard or seen any new (or new to me) standup in quite a while.

Actually, a friend of mine showed me a performance by Ralphie May, which he assured me was hilarious, and I assure you guys it isn't.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-23 01:16:38

At 7/22/10 07:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/21/10 05:22 PM, Nev wrote: And this is the cue for the club to die again...
sorry. I haven't heard or seen any new (or new to me) standup in quite a while.

Actually, a friend of mine showed me a performance by Ralphie May, which he assured me was hilarious, and I assure you guys it isn't.

Ralphie May is pretty funny, but all his jokes are about food, and eating. I guess you talk about what you know, right? :]

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-23 06:26:15

He makes fun of fat people, retarded people, black people, and midgets.

It's so bland, easy and dated. Ralphie May a terrible comic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-23 18:21:16

At 7/23/10 06:26 AM, SapphireLight wrote: He makes fun of fat people, retarded people, black people, and midgets.

It's so bland, easy and dated. Ralphie May a terrible comic.

Yeah, he does a lot of safe jokes that are almost always going to get laughs, no risk.

I'm looking for some good not-so-famous comics, you guys recommend any?

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-26 15:58:06

At 7/23/10 06:21 PM, Zarrf wrote: I'm looking for some good not-so-famous comics, you guys recommend any?

I only know Brits, so thats what you'll be getting:
Stewart Lee
Richard Herring
Daniel Kitson
Ross Noble (is he big over in America (where I'm guessing you're from?).

You'll have trouble finding anything by Daniel Kitson as he seems to hate publishing stuff. Stewart Lee and Herring have some stuff on youtube to check out, and Ross Noble has loads.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-26 16:10:28

At 7/26/10 04:04 PM, rorypearce94 wrote: So um, May I join guys?

That you may.
And thank God you're a Brit. Someone whose tastes I'll recgonise :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2010-07-26 19:08:10

At 7/23/10 01:16 AM, Zarrf wrote: Ralphie May is pretty funny, but all his jokes are about food, and eating. I guess you talk about what you know, right? :]

The one I saw was all about women, Mexicans and black people.
"By the way, I'm not racist."
Oh, thank god.

Now, Jim Gaffigan. THERE'S a guy who talks about nothing but food. And he used to be funny, too. Maybe he will be again someday if he finally writes some new material and tones down the whole talking to himself with that annoying voice.

At 7/26/10 03:58 PM, Nev wrote: Ross Noble (is he big over in America (where I'm guessing you're from?).

nope, not big here.
:There's a face, next moofin

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature