00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Underdog List

120,289 Views | 1,054 Replies

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-19 21:53:06

I'd like to nominate Thomssn, some real drums recorded really well, excellent guitar phrasing and solid voice through the songs.

This one caught my attention the most.

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-19 23:44:49

I nominate kentokromatic.

Though he seems to be fairly new (only two submissions), they are so beyond the skill of what I usually see around here I am dumb-founded at the quality. He really shows skill and promise, so I think he should be showcased a bit more.

The only thing that kept this from being a perfect score for me is that it is not a live recording.

I have reviewed many songs, but this is the third 10/10 I have ever given.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-20 00:16:15

I'd like to take the time to nominate the last 15 people who nominated themselves. I didn't listen to them, but they must have deserved it to have posted in here.

I'm really starting to think that it's only fair to self nominate if you mention another artist. It's not that hard guys. If someone leaves a review on one of your songs, review them back. That's the best way to find other people here and grow connected to them. You'll notice I used to write long winded reviews for people I liked. Welp, I stopped responding to the reviews I received so I stopped finding people. In any-case, I decided to respond to someone finally and look what I came across!

I nominate aloneagainfriend. He's pretty experimental, so some of his stuff might take a listen or two before you get it, but I fell in love with The Saw the first time I heard it. It's just so wacky yet well produced. Drugs :P

Here's a metal song he did that I like a lot. The guys new to FL but apparently he's been "recording for a while" so give him some time and I'm sure he'll be making the tunes bleed. Give the guy some good fucking feedback. He wants it. He deserves it. He'll make use of it.

"Deserving Underdog" a self nomination is not. Pay attention to the list and give feedback to the people that make it. Review a few of the songs that get posted in the list. If the person understands the economy of karma, they'll hit you right back up and scratch your back for you. I'll admit to being a hypocrite so I can advertise an older thread I wrote on this exact same subject. If you want an ecosystem to exist, help create it.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-23 00:20:24

Because I am basically unheard of, I would like to vote for my self.
I only joined Newgrounds this year and have uploaded 22 songs already. I found interest in music from Elvis Presley when I was about 6 ... Good person to start with if you ask me. But my music has nothing like classic rock 'n' roll.
I tend to experiment with different styles and genres, trying to work out new sounds (which doesn't always end up too good) and I have a couple of good songs on here, a couple of crap ones too.
I started guitar 4 and a bit years ago but I'm now going for a diploma in modern guitar method.
I'm 15 yet some of my music sounds like I'm a young boy while others a perverted 37 year old man, or even a drunk.
My main inspirations are: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Tom Waits, John Frusciante, White Stripes and so many more but my music doesn't usually sound like any of these.
So check out my stuff here:D

Thanks

i like old people on vacuums

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-23 05:14:36

I'VE GOT A DOUBLE NOMINATION!!

I would like to nominate myself first off.
This is because I really feel that I'm extremely undervalued and overlooked as an audio artist.
I know that just by reading this you won't be able to determine whether or not I'm any good or not, but I'm saying give me a chance... I mean i'm not about the ratings...but if all of my songs have a rating above a four then has to mean that I'm going somewhere right?

I've been music producing for 8 months now, playing piano since I was around 10 which is almost 8 years now.
I just ask that you check out my audio.
http://zeviron.newgrounds.com/audio/

I would also like to nominate ViceOfFire

He is the one that pretty much drop FL Studio into my lap, and he's been extremely supportive of all of my work and goals as an artist...

He is extremely talented, and has recently done a collaboration that I think you would want to hear.

There is the link. And I hope you check me and ViceOfFire out,

There is alot of talent that is never discovered here in the audio portal, talent that goes unnoticed.
I just hope that you don't pass us by.

Thanks for reading and listenng.

Zeviron.

Would you be so kind as to rate and review

You know how they patience is a virtue? why be bored and do nothing about it? Impatience is a virtue in my eyes

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-23 08:37:26

At 7/23/09 05:14 AM, Zeviron wrote: I'VE GOT A DOUBLE NOMINATION!!

So do I...

First of, a guy called SessileNomad

I'll cut right to the chase.

His songs are amazing. As far as I know he has been making and submitting songs to newgrounds since last year. Those 2 songs are my favourite from him. Mostly dabbles in awesome piano lines which are my favourite.

And of course... self nom.
(nom nom nom)
sorry just had to do that

Ok I started making songs this year. I downloaded the trial fruity loops and since then I was hooked. Been making songs ever since. Most of my starting songs where pretty bad but as I listened to and reviewed 100's of songs on newgrounds I came to realise i wasn't that bad.

On the occasion iv'e made some pretty cool songs and have learnt so much over the past 6 months. About fruity loops, music, mastering and also newgrounds. In fact I only started a newgrounds account the same time I started making songs.

I started of by reviewing songs, then pm'ing random people to try get some attention. I made some friends, Such as sessile which where quite new to the newgrounds scene. Eventually I got good at making songs. I feel like a master of Fl already but many people on newgrounds have been using it for years and years. I got in tune very quickly with some of the pro's of newgrounds audio. Aka bjra, chronamaut, paragonx9, f777.

Then I discovered this little 26 paged thread. And thats my history.

PS, i'm sorry about the link to my music in my signature cuz i read the rules and it said

You can post links to your profile only

i cant be bothered changing my signature so o well.

You can just click my name if you want to go to my profile anyway lol.

well hope you enjoyed reading all that.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-23 16:39:36

i say we just altogether ban the self nomination. it's not beneficial to the cause

i'm very serious

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-24 23:32:25

At 7/23/09 04:39 PM, vanguard182 wrote: i say we just altogether ban the self nomination. it's not beneficial to the cause

i'm very serious

Your an idiot. Isn't the idea to check out what people are saying instead of just automatically jumping and saying "Hey! He/She is Spamming! Dont jump to such conclusions without going through, reading and listening to peoples music.

I know you are probably going to respond with some quarkie 11 year old comment.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-25 00:40:10

At 7/24/09 11:32 PM, Box-Killa wrote:
At 7/23/09 04:39 PM, vanguard182 wrote: i say we just altogether ban the self nomination. it's not beneficial to the cause

i'm very serious
Your an idiot. Isn't the idea to check out what people are saying instead of just automatically jumping and saying "Hey! He/She is Spamming! Dont jump to such conclusions without going through, reading and listening to peoples music.

lmao just a bit egotistical? I don't think people actually care about your life story you posted above.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-25 01:33:46

It says to give background history.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-25 03:22:27

At 7/24/09 11:32 PM, Box-Killa wrote:

i'm very serious

the idea is to highlight talented artists who haven't received much attention. the reality of the matter is that many people are nominating themselves without first seeing what kind of people have won before, contrasting that to themselves and seeing if they truly deserve to receive the title of underdog. i'm not going to point fingers but i'm certain that more than a few have been motivated, at least in part, to nominate themselves in an act of self promotion. in case you haven't noticed, there is already a thread for that, keep it out of here. the base of my argument is that self nomination is more often than not an act of selfishness, which is not in the spirit of the underdog list. don't be a defensive idiot.

quarkie 11 year old comment

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-25 06:51:01

At 7/23/09 08:37 AM, Box-Killa wrote:
At 7/23/09 05:14 AM, Zeviron wrote: I'VE GOT A DOUBLE NOMINATION!!
So do I...

First of, a guy called SessileNomad

I would like to self nominate myself, obviously Mr Box-Killa here wishes for the same

ive been making music for almost a year now, ive been playing piano for almost a year as well, too bad i havnt done anything with a midi keyboard or even recorded myself

http://sessilenomad.newgrounds.com/audio /

there is the full page of music that i have, i think the music page its against the rules

i make alot of music with pianos(my fav intstrument), i make ambient music, some hardstyle, but i REALLY like making glitch music(really inspired by the flashbulb, and aphex twin)

done with me

i would like to nominate DJ HLS (username is heartless1298)

i dont think hes very active anymore, but if he is, he definitely deserves some respect, he produces some of the best progressive trance ive ever heard, its so pleasent(very long), but still really nice, and thats coming from somone who doesnt like progressive trance

theres his newest song, really long, but still beautiful

i think hes been in music for like a year and a half, not sure though, go check him out

Response to The Underdog List 2009-07-25 08:56:37

I suppose we all have our opinions on who the real under dogs are, and that's ok. The fact of the matter is I wasn't trying to advertise myself, if I was, I would have deliberately posted music links in my thread and probably would have only nominated myself. I'm sorry if I came across as just an advertiser, but my post was genuine. :D

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-11 03:08:53

Two Underdogs, let me think...

Zeviron is definitely an underdog. He is a little bit of a beginner and his songs are kinda repeitive, but his melodies are so freakin' catchy I just had to add him in here. One of his recent songs does have quite a few reviews, but he usually doesn't have many reviews.

Blackhole12 is an awesome music producer. His songs are amazing and I have no idea why they're not all in the top 5. He did get a front page once and in the late 20's of the top 30 another time, but that's about it. His songs are flawless and I downloaded about half of them ^^ (that's a lot) so he's surely an underdog.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-11 08:33:26

I'm going to nominate myself.

I am doing it because I love the sound of my own work, and because I fit the definition given in the first post. I want to see if anyone else likes it but unless you get into the top submissions in under about 5 minutes (the time it takes for your song to cycle out of "latest submissions") they never get heard again.

Just click on my name, listen to a few songs and give me your honest opinion... after a few people do that I won't fit the definition of an underdog anymore and I can stop crying myself to sleep at night.

Ooh that smell...

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-16 19:30:53

Ahh why not, ill be uploading more music every day anyway.

http://calamaistr.newgrounds.com/audio/

Self nominating for underdog.

I have been making music officially since age 12 on a keyboard but have been sitting behind pianos from age 3 and up here and there. I have never taken any lessons so i got a definition handicap (dont know all the terms of music) but i am very well educated in the logic of classical music such as bach used also known as the divine proportion/measure by wich a mathematical system gives you insight in wich tones fit together in certain situations allowing artistic composing such as counterpuntal music (wich happens to be my favorite, but have only recently (last year) started actually executing it, before that i only made flat out melodical compositions)

For program music, im into this since the year 1998 but has been most active around 2002 when i was just living on my own in a room with only a matress, a television and a playstation (the first one).
The only thing i did all day long was make music on music® for the playstation and i have made over 500 original compositions, and perhaps about 50 additional cameo's on games such as the deus ex theme, zelda and even final fantasy 10-2's 'party' (the jazz version)

One of my greatest assets in making music is that i have the both blessing and curse of being able to 'hear' music in my head in full detail after only having 'actually heard it once or twice. This is also helpful when i compose music on the piano wich i do just as often because i dont need a music sheet, someone can play a piece of bach for me, then go downstairs to get a cup of coffee and when he came back i am able to play all they have played and sometimes even more (because i remember the track from sometime that ive heard it wich is exactly the way i learned bachs prelude.)
I also said its a curse because i often cannot get a piece out of my head, and trust me.. i dont listen to modern music so imagine having a complete symfony in your head with all the instruments in full detail, playing again and again and again, you wake up with it in your head, and you go to sleep with it in your head. I can take it with classical music, last time i listened to something else i almost did go mad. (in this case the track 'got to be there' from the jackson 5... im never going to listen to popular music again lol, the track was stuck in my head 'playing' all day long for 4 days without end and im not making this up.

I can understand that not all people like the kind of music i make, afterall i do not use fruity loops very long and ive never used anything else but music for the playstation for wich ive taken a major liking (program wise, since i play the piano, ofcourse alot different but still) I do not even like cd quality to be honest, im in love with the crackle of records and the crisp of tapes just like how i like my house, creaky wood.

I guess im a bit oldschool and all natural, the more hifi the less i like the music. So when listening to my work please keep in mind, its the composition that counts, not the quality.

Hope this is sufficient information for this underdog thing.
Atleast thanks for reading and if there are grammatical errors. Its allright; im dutch.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-16 21:36:40

Please, don't take me as arrogant, which is the last thing I could ever even think of being (I hate arrogance with a passion), but I would like to give myself a self nomination.

I am addicted to music composition. I have been in music since I was like 4 or 5, playing piano. I then moved on to tenor saxophone and drums in my teens. I am currently attempting to learn guitar. My main problem (and it is what's pulling me down), is putting my musical talents (harmonies are a strong point) on to a DAW. I dont know what the main problem is, but assuming if things went straight from my brain to MP3, I promise you, you would be pleased with the outcome.
I consider myself an underdog because I firmly think that my music is at least good enough for someone to enjoy, I know it aint the best, and some of it aint all that great, but if you ever have any free time, just sit down and listen and review my music. 4 out of 5 people who review my music say that I have the talent, but its that either I'm making silly mistakes or I would be lacking a thing or two.
In a brief conclusion, I am content with my music, yes, I'm still learning but I enjoy what I have.
Just take a look at some of the songs I know you will like.

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.

Member of Review Request Club.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-19 13:40:25

Self nomination, but not this account.

http://cosmovibe.newgrounds.com/

Like everyone says, not being arrogant or anything. T__T

At this point I'm really just looking for any sort of attention I can get, as I'm getting ready for a ton of music releases soon.

Short auto-bio: Been playing piano for about 12 years now, and have experience with quite a few other instruments too. I've only recently started to use Reason and I'm loving it. One unique characteristic about me as a musician is that I compose in a huge range of styles and genres, so listening to only one of my songs probably isn't enough.

Alternate link to music: http://www.rithum.com/cosmovibe/

I really hope this gets recognized >_>

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-20 00:23:41

At 8/11/09 03:08 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Blackhole12 is an awesome music producer. His songs are amazing and I have no idea why they're not all in the top 5. He did get a front page once and in the late 20's of the top 30 another time, but that's about it. His songs are flawless and I downloaded about half of them ^^ (that's a lot) so he's surely an underdog.

I have to agree with this so I'm going to have to nominate Blackhole12 as well. Besides being a great producer he's also a great teacher. He created a sytrus tutorial that goes over synth creation with great detail, probably one of the most useful tutorials. One of my favorites by him is On the Edge. A great original work of art.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-20 00:35:44

I'd like to nominate Cheshyre http://cheshyre.newgrounds.com/

You might have heard some of his stuff from madness day. I heard his song "Do you know that you're insane?" and was instantly hooked to that awesome... raw rapage.

..Drunk vote ftw..

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-20 00:37:19

Double-posting fuck myself.

That was more like a bump for NG roots knowledge for the 09ers to learn check out some older hits

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-23 15:48:29

I'd like to nominate myself.

my profile

I know some of my songs got around 4 reveiws, but most of them are empty. The only reason why those 3 out of 57 songs have that many reveiws is either the song was REALLY good or it was something that just isn't posted on NG to often (I'm talking bout that crappy vocalod song I made.)

about me:

I've been making music about a couple of years. I originaly made music by converting midi files to mp3. Now I use FL Studios 8. I generally make techno or DnB, but sometimes I'll make something out off my range of genres. I play Stepmania, so it's not odd if you find a smfile tha I've made.

There's everything you need to know about me in a nutshell.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-23 15:52:58

Cheshyre is not an underdog.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-23 16:01:06

At 8/20/09 12:35 AM, Cross666 wrote: I'd like to nominate Cheshyre http://cheshyre.newgrounds.com/

You might have heard some of his stuff from madness day. I heard his song "Do you know that you're insane?" and was instantly hooked to that awesome... raw rapage.

..Drunk vote ftw..

If he is in madness, he isn't an underdog ;)

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-23 16:38:52

I nominate Zooloo. - www.zooloo75.newgrounds.com
His music is very good. I have been listening to this persons music for a few months now and he has improved alot! I saw this message and thought, "Hey I may as well chip in for this guy seeing as of how he doesnt have a big fanbase or anything."

I also want to nominate killa - http://killa5o9.newgrounds.com/
He makes awesome dnb!

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-23 18:25:22

At 8/23/09 04:38 PM, Trancik wrote:
I also want to nominate killa - http://killa5o9.newgrounds.com/
He makes awesome dnb!

Wow dude! Thanks, never would think that i would be nominated on this thread!

i make music and stuff, i guess

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-23 19:33:15

I'd like to nominate Koriigahn. Yes, he is one of my best friends, but just lsiten to how much the guy has improved. You might want to check his myspace too.

Para's Myspace.

Much love, bruddah.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-24 22:02:57

I nominate <a>stargenx.newgrounds.com<a>! His songs rock!
theres one of his songs which has over 4 reviews but that was a long while ago. To my knowledge he uses apple's logic program to make music.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-24 22:27:43

Sadly my fan base has never big been big enough to warrent a nomination so..here's my self-nomination: Plasmatic! I haven't put anything in the portal in about 2 years and I thought it was about time to dig up some of the old stuff and see what to put out and what to get rid of here on NG. I just released a new techno/video game loop today, a short but good one, just to see if I have at all what it takes to get back into the swing of things here. Getting rid of a few of my older..less creative or imaginative pieces..I feel like my set of songs is somewhat getting there, where ever "there" is. So this is me here again after two years, just testing my stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-08-26 22:22:02

http://dimoria.newgrounds.com/

Hey guys .
I'm just trying a new approac since I've been constantly zerobombed the last couple of months. I don't get the feedback I want.
I've been writing and record my own material for around 5 years.
I try to play everything myself but I mostly play the Guitar and bass on my songs. There are several exceptions where I play piano , drums , violin and the above.
I don't usually feel this desparate. But it just feels like I'm going nowhere.
Take care.