New Topic Respond to this Topic
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 06:00 AM Reply

Exposure is something we all crave and need. We all want to be the next big thing. But when it comes right down to it, self advertising can be just as detrimental as anything else. Take a look at any myspace page and you'll get what I'm saying. Do you think anyone clicks those annoying links that are spamming up your myspace page? Probably not.

You want some honest exposure? Go out and give it to someone else. If they follow this philosophy, they'll give it right back to you. I know what it's like to finish a song and be really proud of it. More than half of the music I listen to is my own so "I'm a hypocrite" for pointing this out but something can't exist if there isn't something to create it. You want some one to listen to your music? Give them something first. We're not making any money here, so don't expect something for nothing. When it comes right down to it, popularity in the art/music scene is mostly luck. A very small portion it is talent because lets face it; on newgrounds we're surrounded by talented artists that will never "make it." Compare some of the audio artists on newgrounds to say... souljaboi and you have a scandal.

The last bit of popularity is advertising. The most effective form of advertising comes from other random people. The reason being? They're the most sincere when they say they like it. That or they work under a label and they're trying to make money off of you/ other people. Sure, you're being sincere when you say you like your work but as far as most are concerned that's not a very objective opinion. It doesn't matter what you say about your music. Most random people won't listen to it if you feed it to them. Unless someone is actively looking around they won't find you. Especially not if you throw yourself into their eyes and beg for a listen. That's just plain annoying.

I know this won't get to the primary culprits (random fucking people that don't want to read) but maybe I can spread a little bit of philosophy around in terms of what makes exposure what it is. If you actively seek out other people's music, the karma will come back to you. Like I said before, "something can't exist if there isn't something to create it." Listen to other artists every once in a while. Tell them you like what you're hearing. Go out and actually buy their music. You're a hypocrite to sit back and expect something if you don't put forth any effort in spreading the goods. "But I worked really hard on this song!" Chances are, unless you're one of those "professionals" I hear so much about, you probably did. Unless you're signed, don't expect anything to happen from advertising.

To try and protect myself from any creative/malicious self advertising, I'm not responding to any feedback I get for the next week or two. Also, if you skipped ahead to read the last few sentences in a false hope that I paraphrased that long winded essay; fuck you. Go back and read it.

Any comments?

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

pr0ded
pr0ded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 06:08 AM Reply

love the panning synth just like in all your other recent songs

boom chish boom boom chish hvvwoop

TheMetallkyling
TheMetallkyling
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 08:05 AM Reply

lol... read my signature for info about me:)

I do vocals, Guitar, Bass, Mediocre drums, and somewhat mixing, if you need me, give me a hollar;)
Btw: EVIL TOILETPLUNGERS FTW!

BBS Signature
Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 08:21 AM Reply

One point you forgot to point out is being how active you are in your local scene.

I know that this probably won't go for most of you here on Newgrounds, since you're all producers who never leave your room on a Friday night because you just haven't compressed that kick drum quite how you wanted, yet ;)
But if you are into music that is playable live, i.e. you're a DJ, guitarist, bassist, drummer, laptop musician, in a band, what have you, the more active you are in your local scene and how much people you befriend within in that will help you develope contacts in the industry.

As long as you're not being some prick who decides to make a lot of enemies, your contact base will grow and grow, which is largely beneficial to you later on.

If you're a producer, I dunno... Go clubbing and give the DJs a demo CD or something, get them to play some of your tracks.

TMM43
TMM43
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 08:22 AM Reply

Good point you've made Quarl.

I guess I've been doing this on a smaller level, Newgrounds that is. Reviewing people helps get your name out tremendously on NG. If you leave a long and thoughtful review on someone's song, they're gonna remember you. Just the same if you're meeting someone for the first time. If you use their name in the first 5 minutes of your first conversation, they're more likely to remember your name. Especially in the business world.

Also what helps is signing up to other sites. Newgrounds isn't the only Audio Portal out there. There are TONS of sites that are streaming music, you just have to find it. Finding, and using these websites is vital to getting noticed. Again, make sure to review other people's music. They'll remember you!

Like Quarl said, DO NOT expect people to find, review, and talk about you if you DO NOTHING but sit there. Make the effort, take some time and do onto others as you would like others to do onto you.
In other words: Go out, discover, and review and you'll see that people will do the same back.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio
Latest Track: Infinity
Need Help? Real Life|Audio

BBS Signature
RopeDrink
RopeDrink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 10:07 AM Reply

Very nice thread that reigns true to mind on the subject, though it brings up a little question from me.

Music on NG is something I'm relatively new to (despite having discovered the site quite some time ago thanks to a specific flash-anim / took me quite a while to realise that NG was far wider than just a 'flash' site).

After I got to make my first flash (thanks to being inspired by this website) I eventually turned to the music - I thought to myself it'd be a good place to get creative feedback if I where to make anything and upload it though it seems in most cases due to activity and NG popularity most newly released items get pushed way off the radar in a matter of hours (sometimes an hour or less) so it's no suprise when movies/music don't get viewed all that often hence I can understand the whole self-advertisement taken on by some people (want of attention, for whatever reason).

So, on that note, I only recently asked myself if it was even a good place to upload items if, like me (someone with many loose hobbies that get no focus, or have little desire in achieving 'success' from them) do you think there are other places one should turn to if they want attention on a creative level as opposed to 'making it big'? In a lot of cases I often just wished a creative mind would drop by and just give me advice. I have a confidence issue where I automatically don't like anything I make - Surely it's unfocussed garbage etc, but I will stubbornly defend it because, as you say, you get proud of your creations and wether you like it or not, for some reason or another, you'd like people to see/hear it.

The only reason this slots into the topic is because (and without trying to justify self-advertisement, which I am guilty of once in a while though still don't condone it and am aware of how annoying it can be) but what do you say to those just looking for help/advice? Just curious as I often limit my browse time and am often very ignorant of possibly more 'suiting' places for this kind of 'attention' if you will.

I think in my years here I posted three links to my own work, one in a review request club thread, one in the music thread/release thread on this forum, and one in a thread quite some time ago that taught me not to ever ever ever do it again in the wrong place >.<

Other than that, respect for the topic and I hope it helps make people understand the level of aggravation SADvertising can cause for people.

btriangle
btriangle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 10:38 AM Reply

What you say is true, but that can only last for so long. And in true honesty, that is not what grants you exposure in the real world. On newgrounds, yes, but even on newgrounds, it can only last for so long.

What you are saying is, listen to other artists music, so that they can listen to yours and grant you exposure.

If you look at the popular composers on this site like waterflame or Maestrorage, the majority of their fans, are not musicians.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jun. 30th, 2009 @ 11:34 AM Reply

At 6/30/09 10:38 AM, btriangle wrote:
If you look at the popular composers on this site like waterflame or Maestrorage, the majority of their fans, are not musicians.

Like I said. Most of it comes down to luck. Also, who gave them their exposure?

Tom Fulp

Who benefited the most from it?

Arguably Tom Fulp

This argument was directed primarily towards newgrounds. However, that doesn't mean this thinking can't be applied elsewhere. Besides, it's our responsibility as musicians to perpetuate the existence of our culture. Help a fellow artist out. Tell someone about him/her. You can't have something without something creating it.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 06:48 PM Reply

133 views and only 7 responses, one of which was mine. That means I got someone out there thinking. That or those views were 126 people looking to get some exposure. I'm curious what people are thinking. And yes, this is a bump cleverly disguised as a comment.

Hey check this out!

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jul. 1st, 2009 @ 07:07 PM Reply

At 7/1/09 06:48 PM, Quarl wrote: I'm curious what people are thinking.

I think you're totally right. There are so much users on this site, so the only way to get known is by helping others. Most people don't forget you when you help them.
All users that are complaining about the little exposure that they get should get off their lazy asses and actually help people.

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
ObsidianSnow
ObsidianSnow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 12:26 AM Reply

Nothing new if I say I think you're right, Quarl. I've (sadly) tried the self-advertising scheme, and it's a horrific failure at the best of times.

Unfortunately I'm not one of those people who didn't respond, so I can't help you with what they were thinking... wait - doesn't that mean that you'll never know? After all, you'll never get a response from one of the people who doesn't respond... o _o

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature
Number7even
Number7even
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 01:06 AM Reply

Hey everyone. I am brand new to newgrounds and await your comments. ROCK ON!!

Invite the hatred, invite the negativity. Why? Because if someone says something about you that you are offended by, then that is your opportunity to grow.

BBS Signature
Saigon
Saigon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Want Exposure? Come Here!! Jul. 2nd, 2009 @ 01:30 AM Reply

lol i like the structure of your post. The advice works (karma and all, really makes sense.) Not bad to put something else into your post. Self-advertising can get bad sometimes.

(please dont let the link thing fail...)

"my future starts when I wake up every morning...Everyday I find something creative to do with my life"
---Miles Davis

BBS Signature