00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Underdog List

120,246 Views | 1,054 Replies

Response to The Underdog List 2009-10-30 15:18:56

Hey everyone, my name is Damon Guyett as you can see, and I've been involved with music for as long as I remember. My grandfather had a piano in the basement and every time i came up to visit, first think i would do is grab a couple chocolate chip cookies, a soda and head on down to pound out some tunes. Of course, I never started piano lessons till I was about 12 or so, so for the first 11 years I was just banging randomly on the keys (producing some interesting sounds i must say!). I picked up the guitar on my 13th birthday when my mom bought me a cheap beginners Magnum guitar, and never took lessons, taught myself by ear and tabs and a guitar book. I started writing lyrics around grade 7, grade 8.. what i usually did was study books on old legends of ghosts/death, medieval times, fairytales, etc.. and arranged excerpts of those books into song form. This wasn't my ONLY method of lyric writing, I did write my own original lyrics, but sometimes i would be addicted to a certain song and i would take that songs structure and use it as my foundation. I once wrote a song called "My Imaginary Friend" which was meant to be campy and kiddy, but Ive since lost the book i wrote it in (plus many others) and I'm hoping it will turn up sooner or later. For piano lessons, I last from Intro -> grade 5 and I quit, so I now I dont practice very often, even though i do still play, it's usually just whatever comes to mind. I would like to pick up on teach myself piano further, when i have time. Guitar possibly as well. As far as the music I listen to, you guys can check me out on my LastFM profile to get an idea. So without further ado, I'm proud to present...

Me! :3

Response to The Underdog List 2009-10-31 14:04:15

Yeah.

I've taken quite a break from NG, not that I wanted to, but I'd have to say man, the amount of self-nominations on here is getting to be pretty disgusting.

It's gotten to the point where if I see someone post a "self-nomination", I completely disregard it.
Not to be a butthole but really..

If you spend more time posting reviews on other artist's music then you would get noticed more.

Eh, ANYWAY

I'd like to make a self nomination...

Haha, no.

I would like to nominate this guy named Soundprank.

Now, when you go see his page you may find it a bit redundant to check him out since it has been a while since he's posted anything but the music he makes (which is dance/techno) is astounding and well mastered!

I'm hoping that maybe, if he happens to come back to NG one day and sees that his barren review spots are now exploding with reviews and comments, he may come back and dazzle us with more of his gift.

My favorites would have to be Walks in Rain, Dreamer by Day, Broken Smoke..

Who am I kidding?
There's not one song he's submitted that I'm NOT in love with.

My second nomination has to go to my main man Tomppaah. He's into classical.

But .. gah..

He leaves me speechless.

His pieces are rather short yet they are everything but short-coming melodically.

I could see him composing for top notch rpg games.

Hands down.

My favorites would have to be.. Orchestral Intro, The Battle Of Life, and Tropicana (I forgot to mention that he delves in electronic sounds too.)

Enjoy. :)

MuZiCk.::.iS.::.E>

Response to The Underdog List 2009-10-31 14:41:11

I agree; Tomppah (sp) makes some pretty damn good music that a classical jerk like me loves to listen to.

Another guy worthy of being checked out is Calamaistr. Now, I know several of you APers out there can be pretty off-put on his overstated and brash opinions on music, but I think at the very least a lot of his songs are interesting and unique that at LEAST warrants some listening, especially if you are sick of the ho-hum generic 8-bit music that doesn't try or other songs of that nature.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-10-31 19:24:44

I nominate F-777.

Now for real...

I nominate T3animator. He thinks he's bad at FL Studio, but he is so wrong. Don't let the low scores fool you, a handful of his songs are surprisingly very well done, even though he has such little popularity. Here are my favourite songs from him:

Although a few of his songs are slight let-downs, most of his songs are great, with a lot of variety and uniqueness to them.

Anyway, now, because I'm self-centered and greedy, I'd like to nominate myself...

It all started 4 years ago when I decided to start learning the piano. I found a big interest in music, and it wasn't too long (OK, maybe it was a little long...) before I got FL Studio 8, and started producing, and I've been producing for a little over a year, I think. My first songs were horrible, and I thought there wasn't any hope for me, but recently, for some really wierd reason, I've been getting an unusual amount of positive feedback on my new songs. At first I only made melodies of songs with Finale Notepad, and transferred those melodies to a friend of mine who added instruments, since I didn't have FL Studio, but once I got FL Studio, I started composing on my own.

My first proper song with FL Studio was Distant Seas, which naturally was covered with FL presets. I soon moved on to my song Mass Illusion, which was still covered in presets, but at least was listen-able. After that, I submitted quite a few songs and some remixes. My songs started getting good ever since I submitted my All Hail Windows tracks, which are songs made entirely out of XP sounds and drums. From then, I submitted Windows Wars (a combination of loads of Windows sound effects, including Vista and Windows 2000), which is currently my best track with 16 reviews all 10/10 and 1 review an 8, soon after I finished The Essence of Time which was my first proper attempt at classical/hip-hop and then my latest right now, which is Power of the Piano, and has 5 10/10 reviews.

I played around with a lot of genres throughout my time producing, including Hip-Hop, Jazz, DnB, Heavy Metal, Rock, and Dance, but I seem to do better in a mixture of Classical and Hip Hop or Dance. I'm also almost done with an Album I'm doing with Scooter-16, called Supernova, and I currently have around 10 songs dying to get submitted. Although I focus quite a lot more on reviewing recently (my reviews are terribly long), I still continue composing, and who knows, maybe some day I'll submit a song which is worth downloading XD.

Anyway, that's pretty much my story :3.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-09 06:12:25

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-09 08:59:24

I nominate myself.
I have been making music for 3 years now...I don't have any form of a fanbase, not many people ever listen to my music, and I work very hard on my songs. I try to make a unique sound which is unheard of in alot of songs here, and I think I deserve it for all this hard work and no one to listen to my music?

www.zooloo75.newgrounds.com

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-21 06:22:51

DJ-Chilvan is an amazing artist. He definitely deserves a spot in this thread, and a lot of his songs deserve a spot in the top 5. He's good at making classical (clicky), dance (clicky), techno (clicky) and even made a few good hip-hop and rock songs too, so as you can see he's an artist of many genres. My faves from him are:

and

(in order of preference)

He definitely qualifies for this thread, and I'm sure that if you take a look at his audio, you won't be disappointed. His songs, due to 0-bombing, never become popular, but give him a chance, and see what I mean when I say "his songs rock".

Zomg, ai am laik teh beest underdog fainder.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-21 13:44:13

rtnario

based on this song^^

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-29 13:45:43

I'd like to nominate myself

www.robothair.newgrounds.com/audio

These tracks are in no particular genre and are made mostly with Logic 8 but also Sound Hack, a Boss DR-110, some 1980s Yamaha keyboards, electric and acoustic guitars and a broken banjo.

Thanks!
R

The Underdog List

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-29 21:12:21

So to me this thread is another prime example of a good idea gone to the dogs. As it stands now, this is just another audio advertisements thread (mind you, at least here people post reasonably well written bios and explanations of their work). Just wanting to know how we could shape this thread up a bit

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-29 21:21:26

everyone's just nominating themselves...

Response to The Underdog List 2009-11-29 22:32:10

How to fix this thread? Simple. Don't allow people to nominate themselves. Furthermore, require that, once someone is nominated, other people have to second the nomination to prevent someone from using an alt. Of course if someone nominates an artist who is clearly crap, then it makes it all the more obvious that its an alt and they should be banned from the BBS anyway. Poof, problem solved.

At 11/29/09 09:31 PM, PaulStetich wrote: Check THIS GUY out

Folks, THAT is what this thread is for. Essence of Trance is a god

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-01 20:10:36

hey, i nominate this guy, his music is kind of dark, and sometimes can be a little on the odd side, buy i think he deserves a little more attention

http://gray1.newgrounds.com/audio/

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-04 00:41:17

http://fantomenk.newgrounds.com/audio/

this guy is great he has a SLEW of awesome 8 bit tracks as well as professional sounding dance tracks

his latest track

kick ass electro house

his most popular track with only 260 listens

my fav song of his next to the kickass electro house

seriously give this guy a front page

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-04 01:18:37

Hello,i am an amateur at making music, and am currently working at six new songs to release in a bundle. I use garageband, mainly because i am to lazy to either learn how to get logic studio for my mac free, or to learn anything else. I do not use ANY preset loops and i am technofanatic.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.

PSN ID:Peegler

Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-04 01:39:33

At 12/4/09 01:18 AM, NinjaDonut wrote: Hello,i am an amateur at making music, and am currently working at six new songs to release in a bundle. I use garageband, mainly because i am to lazy to either learn how to get logic studio for my mac free, or to learn anything else. I do not use ANY preset loops and i am too lazy to read the rules of this thread.

fixed

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-04 02:31:54

At 10/31/09 02:41 PM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote: I agree; Tomppah (sp) makes some pretty damn good music that a classical jerk like me loves to listen to.

Another guy worthy of being checked out is Calamaistr. Now, I know several of you APers out there can be pretty off-put on his overstated and brash opinions on music, but I think at the very least a lot of his songs are interesting and unique that at LEAST warrants some listening, especially if you are sick of the ho-hum generic 8-bit music that doesn't try or other songs of that nature.

Ahh your to kind, i do have a major shortage on reviews ;(

well right back to you btw, people should check out your music sometime too.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-04 02:41:08

At 11/29/09 09:12 PM, DamonGuyett wrote: So to me this thread is another prime example of a good idea gone to the dogs. As it stands now, this is just another audio advertisements thread (mind you, at least here people post reasonably well written bios and explanations of their work). Just wanting to know how we could shape this thread up a bit

Says one of the guys that nominated himself.

The whole idea of this thread was for people to nominate people that deserve more attention, not to assume you, yourself, are worthy of more attention. Leave that for the others to decide.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-04 10:31:32

At 12/4/09 01:39 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote:
At 12/4/09 01:18 AM, NinjaDonut wrote: Hello,i am an amateur at making music, and am currently working at six new songs to release in a bundle. I use garageband, mainly because i am to lazy to either learn how to get logic studio for my mac free, or to learn anything else. I do not use ANY preset loops and i am too lazy to read the rules of this thread.

I actually did read the rules of the the thread, mind you. What did i break?
You don't need to be such an arrogant dick.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.

PSN ID:Peegler

Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-07 17:04:27

At 12/4/09 01:18 AM, NinjaDonut wrote: Hello,i am an amateur at making music, and am currently working at six new songs to release in a bundle. I use garageband, mainly because i am to lazy to either learn how to get logic studio for my mac free, or to learn anything else. I do not use ANY preset loops and i am technofanatic.

wow thank you!

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-07 17:06:12

At 12/4/09 12:41 AM, SymbolCymbal wrote: http://fantomenk.newgrounds.com/audio/
this guy is great he has a SLEW of awesome 8 bit tracks as well as professional sounding dance tracks
seriously give this guy a front page

Wow thank you!

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-07 17:47:59

I R UNDREDOG

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-07 19:15:15

I NOMINATE LAON FOR UNDREDOGE

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-07 19:24:18

i'll nominate Emuzin, cause he's got some real cool songs mostly unlike the rest of the stuff in the AP

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-07 19:48:18

im on this. haha

Im Not a jerk, I'm just right.

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-09 05:49:27

I'd like to nominateRainfallen. Hes a good friend of mine who has only a few songs posted here in NG but he's got a lot of talent and I believe he should be recognize for it. =3

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-12 05:12:58

nominate me... I dont write music anymore...

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-15 12:50:35

can i nominate me and not sound like an utter prick at the same time??? i guess i can't, but i'll take the risk of being called a prick if i get more exposure. So...

http://dopedgod.newgrounds.com/audio/

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-15 12:59:27

At 12/15/09 12:50 PM, dopedgod wrote: can i nominate me and not sound like an utter prick at the same time??? i guess i can't, but i'll take the risk of being called a prick if i get more exposure. So...

http://dopedgod.newgrounds.com/audio/

crap.. i forgot about the ''something about yourself" part... anyway, i am 21 and go to college. I go by dopedgod and have been playing guitar for about 2 years now. Even though its nothing compared to a lot of musicians here, i think i am not bad, if not alright. I played with 2 bands before the current one i am in, but the whole punk, rock 'n roll scene got old for me. So I started playing with the people i play with now and formed Radio for the Daydreamers, sharing the sad knowledge with my band that most of our post-teenage years have just been a haze or a Daydream. We realized that when we listen to music, we dont just listen to one genre. I am more ambient rock (radiohead, pink floyd), post-rock(a silver Mt. Zion) and metal (meshuggah, opeth) oriented, while other members of the band range from jazz, hip-hop, classical, Indian folk and others. So we decided to not worry about what genre we belonged to as long as we enjoyed making music... this band is an attempt to take elements from post-rock, dark dissonant noise rock, and mix it with elements from gorillaz, jazz, and tool...
that might've been too long, but i just wanted to tell everything i could at this point...

~dopedgod

Response to The Underdog List 2009-12-15 23:06:19

Dang, looked like this would almost be a page with no self nominations... oh well.

Self nominations are just sad really. There is an audio advertisements thread, and thats where that sorta thing should be done. Doing it here really does just look desperate, and makes me for one, NOT want to go and check out that persons stuff.

BBS Signature