• 1,140 Replies
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 7th, 2009 @ 08:53 PM

At 2/7/09 02:37 PM, MJTTOMB wrote: By the sheer mass and number of individuals nominating zero123music, I'd argue that he has more than enough exposure already, and isn't an underdog.

He also doesn't meet the requirements for a maximum of 4 reviews on his recent songs. in fact, not a SINGLE ONE of his most recent songs has under 4 reviews.

Really not an underdog. Not by the definition of the thread, at least.

Well, when I got my first vote on the underdog's list- I had under 4 reviews each song, and since that first vote I have submitted many more tracks. *also, my latest 2 are from people reviewing the MAC9 entries.
Though i'm happy someone considers me not to be an underdog! :p *I blush*

-plus I have a regular down-voter xD

MJTTOMB
MJTTOMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 7th, 2009 @ 09:01 PM

At 2/7/09 08:53 PM, Zero123Music wrote: Well, when I got my first vote on the underdog's list- I had under 4 reviews each song, and since that first vote I have submitted many more tracks. *also, my latest 2 are from people reviewing the MAC9 entries.

Oof. Hate downvoters. :/

I'll drop a review or two sometime and make you even less underdog-like.

BBS Signature
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 7th, 2009 @ 09:54 PM

At 2/7/09 09:01 PM, MJTTOMB wrote:
At 2/7/09 08:53 PM, Zero123Music wrote: Well, when I got my first vote on the underdog's list- I had under 4 reviews each song, and since that first vote I have submitted many more tracks. *also, my latest 2 are from people reviewing the MAC9 entries.

Oof. Hate downvoters. :/

I'll drop a review or two sometime and make you even less underdog-like.

There! a new song uploaded :p - *I better get less reviews xD [I never thought I'd say that]
oh, and ty :)

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 7th, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

I guess I'll nominate myself. My music is very melodic and harmonic, with hints of trance and jazz. It's a bit unique, and definitely worth a listen.

kgz.newgrounds.com

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 7th, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

is it ok if i nominate kgz?

i was gonna say for trance- but he has lots of other genres :p

sorry if I nominate alot^^ but there is lots of talent here

SFaPiL2
SFaPiL2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 07:44 AM

I vote Jeffrey Sung (Djnoodl3z). Best trance I've heard so far. His four songs have max 3 reviews.

If you appreciate this kind of music, give it a listen.

I wish I were half as good as him.

-SFaPiL

sdfmusic
sdfmusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 03:23 PM

Ok, 18 songs now

WeatherEAFWS
WeatherEAFWS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 04:57 AM

i'd like to nominate Zero123Music plz

Koriigahn
Koriigahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 12:25 PM

At 2/16/09 04:57 AM, WeatherEAFWS wrote: i'd like to nominate Zero123Music plz

This is getting, REALLY fishy...

BBS Signature
Kr1z
Kr1z
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 01:00 PM

I'd like to nominate Annodam

Some of the best mixed stuff I've ever heard here!

Same goes for Basspiratez!

Seriously, guys, check 'em out!!

LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 01:17 PM

At 2/2/09 09:18 PM, ANTI-SPAMGUN wrote: - No posting links to your songs
- Tell us about yourself
Give us a bit of history! How long have you been doing music? What programs do you use?

Great guidelines A-S,

Everything that you are about to read is true:

About me:
I'm LJCoffee
I'm gifted with multiple borderline psychoses. I will not go into detail as to the possible cause(s) other than to say that there is a very very fine line... I can be a really nice guy and I generally try to be affable but I can also be a downright prick. I value loyalty above most other things. I'm an accomplished bullshit artist capable of being deliciously manipulative and delectably deviant. On occasion, I've been known to become overly sensitive about matters of little or no importance. This is often accompanied by rants, jabs and insults that are best responded to with the standard "TLDR". I sometimes feign ignorance or intentionally offer misinformation designed to either bait people into an argument to expose potential leverage points or to better assess their abilities and resources. This is a habit formed over many years of low-level paranoia and general intelligence gathering. With all of that in mind, any part or all of this may be true, exaggerated, completely manufactured or any combination of all three.

My history:
I've been, in one way or another, experimenting and dabbling in music for a very long time. At this point, it's probably been thirty years or more. I make a lot of pseudo-experimental IDM-ish crap. I like IDM because of the rules (or lack thereof) involved with producing it. If anyone ever tells me that I'm "doing it wrong" I can tell them to smooch my pooch. My submissions do not accurately reflect my ability - only my shiftlessness.
I am extremely musically insular, I do not listen to very much popular or mainstream music. The majority of the music that I listen to is either my own garbage during production, or other indie-artists' tracks from NG as well as a few other amateur sites. I tend to ignore most commercial music. This is not by design, it's just how I am.

I'm not an underdog. I am not nominating myself.
I was nominated in one of the older "underdog" topics from a few years back, but since then, plenty of people in the AF have come to know who I am.

Everything that I have written here is a lie.

BBS Signature
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 07:36 PM

At 2/16/09 12:25 PM, Koriigahn wrote:
At 2/16/09 04:57 AM, WeatherEAFWS wrote: i'd like to nominate Zero123Music plz
This is getting, REALLY fishy...

w00t! and I didn't bribe him :p
Even I'm getting confused - you haven't voted for me yet koriigahn! >:(

Kor-Rune
Kor-Rune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM

I know you've guys are probably quite sick of seeing these nominations for Zero123music, but I'll nominate him anyway. Kid is neat, I wanna see where he can go.

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature
LJCoffee
LJCoffee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 07:54 PM

At 2/16/09 07:41 PM, Kor-Rune wrote: ...sick of seeing these nominations for Zero123music, but I'll nominate him anyway.

Thing is - he's not an underdog...
He's getting hundreds of listens and half as many votes.

BBS Signature
sdfmusic
sdfmusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 09:46 PM

Ok I'll reapply:

I'm 19, I live in Texas, and I went through one of the best high-school Jazz programs here. From that stems all of my musical knowledge. I was in Marching Band and Jazz Band for 4 years (after 3 years of middle school band).

8th grade was when I had my first major musical epiphany. I finally fully grasped playing an instrument. I picked up actually trying to produce music using MTV Music Generator. While the results were probably completely hilarious it certainly got me acquainted with the playlist concept, and piano roll concept. MTV Music Generator was basically a tracker with terrible sampling quality and an enormous database of samples and patterns (called "riffs") for use in your music. For a long time I simply put together these patterns to make cool choruses, etc. I then progressed to trying to make my music progress and create emotional movement. I failed pretty miserably at this, but in the process I figured out piano rolls, and basic "Attack-Hold-Release"-type controls.

I played around with trackers for a short time, but only ended up rendering a track or two. After some time wasted on MMOs (Guilt Wars :( ), I moved into FL Studio, downloading a demo and not saving (like I'm sure many newgroundians do). I rendered about 2 albums worth of music over the course of 2 years. Six months ago however, I had another musical epiphany-- I finally got production. I still have plenty of room for improvement, but after this I found myself consistently able to write music that invokes emotions, movement, feelings, etc. I love music production because it just gives me such an enormous control over everything, and music allows you to choose where you're going to be creative. More recently I've learned better how to invent my own sounds with synths-- which is an enormous asset toward creating professional sounding music.

Along with this video games are an enormous influence to my sound, and how I actually learned everything. My gaming heyday actually happened ~2001 when UT99 and Quake 3 ruled. CD Quality audio was in reach for everyone, but most still didn't use enormous uncompressed wavs, or the other compressed filetypes that didn't exist then. They used TRACKER MUSIC! :D At some point when I was playing circa 2001 games I found demoscene music which I got very into, watching demo after demo and just soaking in everything. The disregard for grammar, the bloopy colorful synths, and excess delay. Another part of the music hit me subconsciously though. I wasn't able to articulate it's effect until very recently. Visual. Demoscene music is extraordinarily visual, it's painting in your mind the language of computers and all of it's irrelevancies. My music, while also influenced by my classical and jazz training takes on this visual aspect in some very strange ways- painting similarly crisp images of the inner-workings of computers, machinery, and fantastically psychedelic scenes in my listener's ears.

I also like to pretend I can sing. :)

I've posted 17 songs here on NG and have been met with a somewhat sizable audience pretty quickly, but I still feel a bit overlooked in light of sparse reviews. I'm probably not really an underdog, but I just really like listening to myself speak... <3

Kor-Rune
Kor-Rune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

At 2/16/09 07:54 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 2/16/09 07:41 PM, Kor-Rune wrote: ...sick of seeing these nominations for Zero123music, but I'll nominate him anyway.

Yeah--you're right.

I guess I can retract my nomination if that's possible?

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

At 2/16/09 07:54 PM, LJCoffee wrote:

*sigh, the irony; the more people who thought I was an underdog, the less of one I became..

Steven-Polley
Steven-Polley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 16th, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

At 2/16/09 11:05 PM, Zero123Music wrote: *sigh, the irony; the more people who thought I was an underdog, the less of one I became..

That's normally how it works, logically.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com
We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!
Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
SFaPiL2
SFaPiL2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 17th, 2009 @ 08:41 AM

At 2/16/09 11:05 PM, Zero123Music wrote:
*sigh, the irony; the more people who thought I was an underdog, the less of one I became..

Dude, you should be happy about that!

Your Ninja Village is a very good ambient song, btw.

SFaPiL2
SFaPiL2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 17th, 2009 @ 09:00 AM

At 2/17/09 08:41 AM, SFaPiL2 wrote:
Your Ninja Village is a very good ambient song, btw.

Not to mention your other songs!! Just beautiful!

ectsoman
ectsoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 02:35 AM

I nominate Spoony18, and myself.

BBS Signature
tijnn
tijnn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 18th, 2009 @ 04:33 AM

Heh.

It really feels weird nominating yourself, but ah well.

First off, i want to nominate Soundshifter. He made some really great ambient songs and i really love his style, although, he doesn't get the recognition / listens that he truly deserves to get actually.
( http://soundshifter.newgrounds.com/ )

And... Well

I'dd also like to nominate myself for the ambient genre.

I am one of the few, that i know of, that make ambient completely live and only on hardware, and just record it and put it on the web. I am 16 years old, and im making music for, probably 5 months now. It's obvious, which isn't that weird actually, that i have grown since the beginning.

I really understand everything a lot better now, and my latest submissions are really songs that i am very proud of, although, i don't actually get that much reviews, and that's really a shame.

I've been through a lot of writers blocks, mainly because i don't know if people enjoy my music or not, they just don't let their opinion help or guide me, and that's something i really miss.

I really enjoy making music a whole bunch, but i'dd like that confirmation that others might enjoy my music too, something that keep me on track, because sometimes i am doubting that.

Therefore i would réally like to be on this list.

http://tijnn.newgrounds.com/

The Underdog List

scoutzero
scoutzero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 20th, 2009 @ 01:10 PM

There are some really talented people nominated here. Hope they all get some recognition well deserved!

Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 20th, 2009 @ 03:39 PM

At 2/20/09 01:10 PM, scoutzero wrote: There are some really talented people nominated here. Hope they all get some recognition well deserved!

If you included me:
awwww, we all wuv you scout :)

If you weren't;

...... yeah, whateva. talent shmalent

Cuzone
Cuzone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 20th, 2009 @ 07:09 PM

I would like to "nominate" myself, as the rules allow.

I've been on newgrounds audio portal for almost a year now, released (with my buddy timraband) more than 30 songs, received the honor of being featured in some productions of the flash portal. And overall I think people enjoy our songs...
But the problem is that as soon as the songs are out of the "recent released" list or of the top 5 of any category, it simply fades into obscurity. Most of my pieces receive 1 or 0 reviews, and the listens/votes for the new pieces is really low.

I've always tried to show my stuff to friends and ask then to listen, but as far as the "newgrounds crowd" goes, most of my songs remain pretty obscure.

In my channel are songs made by me (Cuzone) and my buddy timraband (or both on some pieces), he is a real life bass player with lot of theory and practice background, and his stile is closer to Jazz and Techno.
My stuff is more "free flowing" and closer to the "video game music" genre, or "mood music" as I like to call it.

I'm linking my audio pages so you guys don't need the work to click on my profile and select "all songs".

TIMRABAND AND CUZONE

There are some amazing talent here. I don't really know how well my stuff holds against some of these guys but, my friends motivated me to believe that I have potential so...
Here goes.

Eating Mentos drives you mental.

KitXune
KitXune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 03:37 AM

I'm going to nominate myself. I'm also pretty much copying/pasting this from another thread.

When I was eleven or twelve, I watched an episode of Scientific American Frontiers which featured a program called "HyperScore". I was quite intrigued, and downloaded the software, which was, at the time, free. There were only two instruments available: strings and pizzicato, so my choices of genre were pretty much confined to "orchestral". I started composing songs with the aid of the program's harmony assistance, which automatically adjusted my notes to make them harmonize. It was great fun for awhile, but I eventually lost interest.

A year or two later (2006), after buying a new computer, I got a hankering to compose something with HyperScore, but found that the site which had previously hosted the software had closed. A new company had bought the program, and had created a new site to go along with it called H-Lounge, which allowed users to share their creations. On this site, I got my very first taste of audio sharing, and managed to ween myself off of the program's harmony assistance.

The goal of the site was to sell the MIDI compositions its inhabitants created as cell-phone ring-tones for two bucks a pop. Unfortunately, the site was founded around the dawn of MP3 ring-tones, so it flopped (and two bucks for a MIDI ring-tone was overpriced anyway).

Things just moved forward from there. I didn't share my music after H-Lounge closed (the site's still there to this day, but you can't upload anything), but I continued to mess around with that program. I eventually made friends with a fellow music enthusiast, who introduced me to electronic music and FL. (I now use FL8.) I've mostly kept my latest music to myself, but I'm beginning to upload my music here and on FurAffinity.net. I don't plan to upload any of my older compositions, but as I make new songs, I will upload them.

UnderdogList
UnderdogList
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 04:43 PM

Look at that, a brand new list!

Yes, it has been a long time since it's been updated, but it is updated now. As long as there is an interest in underdog musicians, there will be a good chance the Underdog List will continue to be updated (eventually). And I should mention that there is a new rule being put into place now:

"If you are going to make a nomination, you need to pick at least one song by the artist that a person should listen to. What song caught your attention from that artist? What song just blows your mind when you hear it? Make the selected song a really good one, it's going to bring people's attention to the artist (including ours), or possibly throw the attention away.

Of course, you're not limited to one song, put don't go off listing their entire list of submissions."

Don't forget the rules are on this page.

And having just a list might be getting a little boring, so there might be something new in the works... it just hasn't been finalized yet, but it should be good. ;)

If you ever have any questions, don't forget you can ask MaestroRage, Rig, or New-Milkman.

~ New-Milkman

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 04:49 PM

Oh my god, who nominated me?

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

EternalXIII
EternalXIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 21st, 2009 @ 07:20 PM

Cool, I'm on the list!!!! I love it! This is what it says next to my name, Ambient-ish style music, full of strings. I guess that can describe my style of hip hop!!

Smoke me, I'm dope.

BBS Signature
New-Milkman
New-Milkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Underdog List Feb. 22nd, 2009 @ 03:55 AM

At 2/21/09 07:20 PM, EternalXIII wrote: Cool, I'm on the list!!!! I love it! This is what it says next to my name, Ambient-ish style music, full of strings. I guess that can describe my style of hip hop!!

Yeah, there's a lot of people that don't like the genre descriptions on Newgrounds, so sometimes I'll add a bit of detail so that people get a small idea of what they are getting into. In your case, your hip hop music wasn't entirely what I was expecting, so I added a bit of a note for your name. I don't really want to do that for everyone, but I probably could if people really wanted me to. It just might look a bit cluttered or something, and I would probably would have to set up a new chunkier format for listing people.