00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Frogsands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cash for your Flash

32,311 Views | 325 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 01:30:31

But you can't really compare a movie to a game. Why not offer only four prizes and have the best game win 500 dollars since games are usaully harder to make?

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 01:43:03

Not a bad idea because this will encourage people to send more quality flash to the portal.

i know that this contest is for people over 18, but how could you know if someone is actually over 18 or not since lots of people lie in their profile.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 02:04:25

Y'know, I really think this has potential.

Everytime something new has been implemented on Newgrounds, it's been postive to the utmost extent, for both users and producers. I have utter faith in the Wade brothers and their affiliated friends and employees, and the fact that Tom Fulp (and whomever else may be affected) is willing to donate $1250 to good contributors, it really makes me tingle.
People are bringing up a lot of good points and issues, all of which I have faith in being put to both rest and to the test. Some good solutions have come up already too (Namely by Mattsuicide - Great voting system idea ^_^) I think that if users are willing to help in such a way, then there's people who will make sure the system works too. Sure, having your work seen by a huge public is great, and I'm sure being the level of internet celebrity is just groovy, but don't you think people who put all this time into things we find so entertaining should have some sort of monetary reward? I mean, I don't think it'll change them, or hurt the community really. Maybe it'll encourage more content from out favorites, and content from soon to be internet gods.
Of course, there will be those who hate it to its core, blaming the reward for various faullts that will undoubtedly arise, but these are the kind of things I know the NG staff will do its best to try and work on. There may be those who submit flashes purely in hopes of making money, and there will be those who unselfishly pray the community finds it to their liking, but either way, the users are reaping the rewards.
And under MattSuicides system (Once again, genius) people who work on flash movies, know the effort that goes into scripts, storyboards, and ultimately animation, these are the people who would know best of who deserves it.
Of course, this is only one man's opinion, and I'm subject to fault, but I really believe this system will work out for the best. If it doesn't, well, that sucks. But hey, it'll just be removed then, and it will simply become a paragraph in NG history.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 02:15:22

in this case we just might make Little Fighter Alpha Chapter 8 (Frozen)

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 02:17:15

I wonder how long it'll be before somebody who doesn't care about the money but does care about the exposure pays 250 people one dollar each to vote 5/5 on his/her submission.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 02:30:58

This makes me wish I started to learn how to make flash movies back when I jioned but neh. I am waiting for the sticker contest.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:18:11

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, arab_alt wrote: Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...

Get cancer.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:28:52

At 2/18/05 06:48 PM, Miikro wrote: Maybe this will motivate people to actually try once more. God, I hope so.

:P
Flash by Miikro:
- none -

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:29:51

At 2/19/05 04:18 AM, Stamper wrote:
At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, arab_alt wrote: Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...
Get cancer.

Eloquent and Apt. I love it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:30:41

But aren't people gonna stea high quality flashes they didn't make?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:31:45

At 2/19/05 04:30 AM, Goatpower wrote: But aren't people gonna stea high quality flashes they didn't make?

Typo. :)
'steal'

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:35:05

Yeah, Tom, that is a good idea. But maybe you should better choose one winner every week instead of choosing 5 winners monthly. Yeah, in that case we would have only 4 winners, but they would got 300 $. Anw, how about artists from abroad ?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:40:14

I just had a thought. What if a collaboration like 5 shades of Red or a Time Trial wins? Would the money be split between everyone who worked on it?

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:48:27

At 2/19/05 02:17 AM, TmsT wrote: I wonder how long it'll be before somebody who doesn't care about the money but does care about the exposure pays 250 people one dollar each to vote 5/5 on his/her submission.

No thats stupid, who would really want to pay 250 strangers ONE DOLLAR just to get them to vote 5 on their flash? And you'd have to be pretty stupid to actually accept that one dollar and then of coarse voting on the submission, and what would you use the money for anyway, to play a game at the arcade?

And as "for Cash For Your Flash" I dont know if it'll work, how ould you know if the person is 18 or not? People do lie in their profiles. And also, who will be judging? I liked the idea of the top 50 Authors judging that was posted a little while ago...

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:51:20

At 2/19/05 04:40 AM, TLG_Media wrote: I just had a thought. What if a collaboration like 5 shades of Red or a Time Trial wins? Would the money be split between everyone who worked on it?

Most likey, since it was a "team effort" that made the flash. So I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be split up.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 04:58:25

great idea tom

i hope we'll see some serious flashes

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 05:03:00

Wow, I've read a few very good suggestions... aswell as some not so great ones. I'm really liking the idea of the authors who acheive a spot in the pool vote for others in the same boat as them. I'm really stoked to see where this goes. It has it's pro's and con's but like Wade said, if all else fails - just cut the 'payroll'.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 05:15:45

I'm with Wade on this.
Getting flash viewed is awesome, the money would
just be an cool side thing.

When I submitted my last movie and got 3.5 and
over 1,000 views I was stoked.
This nice incentive might even make me get off my arse
and complete afew flases I've worked on for ages.

It's days like these that remnd me why I love newgrounds.com

R.I.P LIVECORPSE

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 05:20:01

dude,tom all i have too say is that i love your website and its ok that your giveing money but dont you think people are not going to care what you say and eventualy there going to get greedy.and i love your site!!!newground rocks:).later

Cash for your Flash

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 05:38:41

Sounds good, the 18 thing is a shame considering how many promising flash artists are under that, but I'm sure that they'll always find someone to accept it for them. I think that the money will motivate people to make better quality flashes. Although there will be a few who may leave NG when they pour their blood and sweat into a flash and don't win, I think that this will overall benifit NG. Cheers Tom, you generous person you...

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 06:11:47

I don't want to sound like a pointdexter, but I think cash prizes should only be awarded to entries that are 100% original or entries that have full permission of the musical/graphic authors to use their material. A cash prize would be directly earning money from a cartoon, and if the cartoon was not illegally sound, NG might have a legal problem, and no one wants to see that happen. Who knows, the Smurf company might come back big time. Please tell me if there is a loop hole, or if the right to parody has vastly increased.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 06:27:21

This is a good idea and by making sure that 5 people get the award each month it will still leave room for normal people to win prizes in addition to the professionals. I sure do wish that I had made your private voting panel though. I'm guessing this was the purpose of your asking us to post what we thought the 5 best flash movies of 2004 were a couple months ago.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 07:02:34

Wow!
I like the idea of cash prizes, hopefully it will motivate people to make their best work.
I think you should give people a bit more notice though.

I've got Another Day Six and Decline 3 in the works, both of which I'm very pleased with so far, but they're not gonna be out this month :P never mind.

-Dim

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 07:09:33

At 2/19/05 06:11 AM, JeremyLokken wrote: stuff

you're just saying because you want some kind of safeguard against Randy winning :)

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 07:16:39

awsom tom, too bad im not 18 :p

derp

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 07:22:30

At 2/19/05 06:11 AM, JeremyLokken wrote: stuff

Yeah he sort of does have a point.
What's going to happen with the music and
other copyright things?

R.I.P LIVECORPSE

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 07:22:55

At 2/19/05 07:16 AM, xcloudx wrote: awsom tom, too bad im not 18 :p

same here :(

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 08:30:21

It's a good innitiative, but may I take this oppertunity to complaint about the lack of attention you give to the Audio Portal . We musicians keep getting ignored :(

I know this mainly is a flash site, but me, for instance, visit the Audio Portal alot more often then I visit the Flash Portal. Wouldn't it be nice to promote and motivate the musicwriters here on Newgrounds? I know, people listening and/or downloading your music is the biggest reward (hehe, it's true though), but I think it would be great if there was just a little more attention for the Audio Portal. It doesn't even need to be sponsored with money or anything, just brush it up a bit. (Making the voting system different, reviews in profile, making musicians able to change the comments on their songs, etc.)

I'm sorry if I sound like a whiney bitch, but maybe if I keep repeating it, somebody eventually WILL listen :)

Greetz,
Hypocritism

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 08:51:28

i doubt i will win any money but good luck to all the artists in the contest

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 08:58:06

meh... i think most ppl who wil be able to win are ppl with jobs who get mutcha money already

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature