00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cash for your Flash

32,269 Views | 325 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:13:31

As many others I feel like this has its upsides and downsides...

If there was a vote, I would have voted "no", cause I feel like this will change NG. Every author thinks that their game/movie is the best, so when another artist wins, they will be angry, and this will only cause problems...

I would much more like to see an award for something like "Weeks Most controversial submission" or something, to bring back the old NG feeling.

and also: money + anything = fail

rather than giving out money you should make it like the top 5 gets frontpage space or something

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:14:44

At 2/18/05 08:05 PM, liljim wrote:
At 2/18/05 08:02 PM, liljim wrote: I don't see who.
Err... I don't see how, even.

Sweet Jesus, the almighty liljim made a mistake.
This is a dark day indeed.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:16:22

Wow, finally another way to ruin it for me!
Now that it's limited to actual Flash Authors, I can hope and then end up losing to some jerk off that nobody knows or cares about.

....Hey, I may actually have a chance!

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:17:26

At 2/18/05 08:13 PM, ArtistJ wrote: woah. tom. your gonna be giving away $250 to 5 flash artists a month! THIS IS MOST GENEROUS INDEED! are you sure there arent other site improvements that the money should go to instead...?

Improvements like updating the flash help section of newgrounds...... yeah.

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:20:39

At 2/18/05 08:13 PM, Norwegian_Blue wrote: rather than giving out money you should make it like the top 5 gets frontpage space or something

Now that's a good idea. That way authors of all ages can win.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:21:14

No one can make a living offf 250 a month just make sure knox isn't winning every month

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:21:25

you have to be eighteen..hmmm

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:23:47

lol thats awesome good luck to those artists

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:26:55

At 2/18/05 08:14 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: This is a dark day indeed.

Bleh, I'm not infallible. I make mistakes all the time.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:27:26

Also with this new reward. Maybe we'll start seeing less crappy flash and more quailty.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:29:56

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Tom will figure out a fair way to get the community involved. One idea is to only allow high level users, maybe those with 1000 EXP or more, to vote from a pool of entries. To get in the pool the entries may have had to been feature on the front pgae, been in the Daily Top 5, etc. Those are details we'll have to go over to make things as fair as possible.

Sounds like a great idea there Wade, I love it.

Some people were complaining before about working hard on their animations and not really making any money off their hard work so this is great.

I will never win, but sounds great and hopefully I will be able to contribute to this pool entries vote if it will be used.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:30:31

At 2/18/05 08:27 PM, Danarachy wrote: Also with this new reward. Maybe we'll start seeing less crappy flash and more quailty.

I think it will be the opposite, more people will crack flash to make movies so they can win the prize = more bad submissions

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:33:11

At 2/18/05 08:27 PM, Danarachy wrote: Also with this new reward. Maybe we'll start seeing less crappy flash and more quailty.

I'm sure we'll still get plenty of crappy Flash, if not more, but hopefully we'll get more quality Flash.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:36:49

I was actually surprised to see it at $250, then i saw that their were 5 prizes. Now is the time i wish i was a flash animator, not that i need the money, but would be cool to just win a contest.

It does suck however having to be 18, some of the younger guys are really good animators as well.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:37:50

At 2/18/05 07:39 PM, Sakurazukamori wrote: I don't know if Tom has thought of this, but offering cash could make the levels of cheating and "mass voting" soar to new heights. If people will perform underhanded measures just for an icon in their profile and some additional recognition, think of what they will do when money is at stake. :O

Is anyone else here considering the possible spike in cheating as a result of this new policy?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:40:54

At 2/18/05 08:37 PM, Sakurazukamori wrote: Is anyone else here considering the possible spike in cheating as a result of this new policy?

How so? I don't think they will get money depending on how high the score is but the flash itself.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:42:18

At 2/18/05 08:33 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
I'm sure we'll still get plenty of crappy Flash, if not more, but hopefully we'll get more quality Flash.

I'm still leaning towards the quality Flash theory but what I said was that the site will probaly have LESS crappy Flash. I didn't say the crap would stop.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:49:47

At 2/18/05 08:42 PM, Danarachy wrote: I'm still leaning towards the quality Flash theory but what I said was that the site will probaly have LESS crappy Flash. I didn't say the crap would stop.

Less? With money in play, people will rush to downloading flash, and submitting their "awesome" first flash.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:49:47

At 2/18/05 08:21 PM, Bob_is_Gawd wrote: No one can make a living offf 250 a month just make sure knox isn't winning every month
At 2/18/05 08:21 PM, Bob_is_Gawd wrote: No one can make a living offf 250 a month just make sure knox isn't winning every month

Yes thank God he is to young. That kid can't get anymore arrogant. He was exactly who I was thinking of when I said greed does effect authorship. Him and Zipperfish.

I mean Knox really didn't have to tell everyone how much he makes on his Knox in a box Dvd's but he did anyway.--- So irritating. Doesn't he know how to be humble? Now when I watch his movies I picture him counting money and rushing some other submission out to add to his popularity. He's not even nice to other claymakers. He just gives them an aditude about how the money he makes will give him better material to use and how that will make his own stuff better.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:50:56

hows that wittle baby doing wade

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:53:17

At 2/18/05 08:49 PM, BazookaNinja wrote:
Less? With money in play, people will rush to downloading flash, and submitting their "awesome" first flash.

I didn't know you could download Flash illeaglly. But maybe my less Flash theory was a bust anyway.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:54:36

At 2/18/05 08:53 PM, Danarachy wrote:
At 2/18/05 08:49 PM, BazookaNinja wrote:
I didn't know you could download Flash illeaglly. But maybe my less Flash theory was a bust anyway.

Not illegally, theres a 30 day free trial.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:07:20

The final decision shouldn't be made by the public, plain and simple. The initial pool of movies to vote on can be the top 50 of the month or something, then the panel of appointed judges chooses. That panel could be the authors of those 50 movies. They can give 5 votes to the movies (not including their own) that they think is the best.

Either way, this sounds like a promising idea. I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:10:13

Let's all join it. The doom and gloom =

Cash for your Flash

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:12:53

O. M. F. G!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dreamt about a month and a half ago that Newgrounds was giving Flash Artists cash...WOW! And I REALLY hope this dosen't send Newgrounds broke...where would all us BBS users go? :`(

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:19:48

Well, there are a lot of starving artists serious about their work out there that this may help. On the other hand, some people may just do it for the money. My advice is to try it for a little while and see how it works.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:21:33

I think it's a great incentive for people who work hard on movies for free, although I do have my doubts. After a while certain artists will no doubt win several times (most of them deservedly so) but I can't help but think that some people will vote down these artists movie out of spite that they've won multiple times. Of course I'd like to have more faith in the newgrounds community than that. Mabey awarding prizes fewer times per year could prevent that. Although I doubt it'll cause any damage to try out the system the way you have it now for a few months.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:22:51

my heart skipped a beat when I read the topic... it's still beating irregularly, though!

I think this is a great idea. I think it might very well bring in more professional work into the portal, for better or for worse. it will make competition harder for simple autodidact idiots like myself, but on the other hand, with a jury or something similar chosing entries rather than just looking at the score/views, I think and hope those submissions closer to the "heart of NG" will still stand a better chance of being chosen. after all, what is somebody like Zipperfish gonna do with 250 bucks more? I bet they/he are/is fine the way he is...

This announcement makes me so much more motivated to finish the stuff I'm working on right now. If it's gonna be in the top 5 of the month, well maybe it's a dream but I'll give it my best!

Thank you Tom Fulp and all other responsible at NG! You are the best, seriously!

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:24:29

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, Earfetish wrote: I have my concerns about democracy... but the idea of a 'private panel' is a good one. So long as everything is fair and unbiased and above-board, then it's a great idea.

You mean, so the NG audience's voice won't determine it? That's a relly good idea. I was actually thinking they should do that for the top 10 of all time. Once something gets a high rating, they have appointed non-biased people allow or decline something of top 10, because a lot of NG's users are 0 or 5 people. We all also know that if it's based on users, they'll have their crews (or fans) 5 their videos everyday as they have them 0 the competition. It's bound to happen that way. It already does happen. $250 is just more incentive for people to do it.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 21:34:11

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Tom will figure out a fair way to get the community involved. One idea is to only allow high level users, maybe those with 1000 EXP or more, to vote from a pool of entries. To get in the pool the entries may have had to been feature on the front pgae, been in the Daily Top 5, etc. Those are details we'll have to go over to make things as fair as possible.
Maybe we'll require users to have 2,000 EXP to vote. :)

Why don't you allow people with 1000 EXP to vote but people with more EXP will have more voting power.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature