00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cash for your Flash

32,277 Views | 325 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:43:00

I'm hoping I never regret this decision, but starting this month we are experimenting with monthly cash rewards!

I have had a lot of trepedation about this idea. Once money is involved, things change. Artists will start to "do it for the money" and will be resentful when they don't win. If we start to pick up on that, we will eliminate the prizes.

For years, Newgrounds was strictly a hobby for me. The idea of the site was never to make money. Over time, bandwidth bills continued to rise and earning money became part of keeping the site afloat. Nowadays, our hosting bills are in excess of $15,000 PER MONTH, so we can't afford to NOT make money.

NG had a really good year in 2004. After a long decline after the dot com crash, revenue finally came back with a vengeance! As a result, we can now afford to play around a little!

We tried a console contest a few months ago, but it became too difficult to send prizes to the winners - I kept running into declines on my card when I tried to ship to alternate addresses. Instead of awarding prizes, I'm just gonna send out checks from now on. At the end of February, I'll be writing FIVE checks for $250 each.

So read about the contest and submit some Flash! Just remember, we don't want to see anyone turn into a greedy ass over this. Having your Flash seen by thousands (potentially millions) of people is the reward. Cash prizes are just the icing on the cake!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:44:24

Wow. All I can say is that I hope this doesn't affect your money that much, Tom.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:45:41

I have my concerns about democracy... but the idea of a 'private panel' is a good one. So long as everything is fair and unbiased and above-board, then it's a great idea.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:45:52

Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:46:35

I Kind of Like the Old way because I put so much time into this sight doing reviews and such I I thought It would be cool to win something. But Hey Flash artists are what make this sight great anyway what Im getting at is the fact that I can't make flash ... So I dont have a chance at this contests.

Anyway God Bless

I)arkZrobe

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:48:03

That sounds like a good idea but will it be the five submissions with the highest scores or do all submissions from this month have a chance?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:48:31

Maybe this will motivate people to actually try once more. God, I hope so.

If Apple Jacks aren't going to taste like real apples, then they can get a regular job like everybody else.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:50:20

Must Work on flash...
RAWR!

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:50:31

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, Earfetish wrote: I have my concerns about democracy... but the idea of a 'private panel' is a good one. So long as everything is fair and unbiased and above-board, then it's a great idea.

well like he said, making the voting public would probably be hard to do while insuring no one cheats, what's with all the dynamic and shared IPs or whatever.
maybe not though, I dunno.

This ought to make things pretty fun : ) 1250$ a month on cash is a nice amount :o

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:50:33

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, arab_alt wrote: Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...

You ungratefull swine !

Good idea no doubt this will increase the flow of good flash into the portal.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:50:39

Can people outside of USA win a price? (Who knows, maybe you cant send the check here or something)

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:51:04

At 2/18/05 06:46 PM, SEX4CHEAP wrote: Well, I know theres not a chance in the world I will ever win this but I'll give it a shot.
hmm AH must have turned out better than projected, sales wise

This has nothing to do with AH. Newgrounds.com makes money on it's own.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:51:09

not that im ever going to win, but this 'cash for flash' thing, is it just a one off?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:53:44

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, arab_alt wrote: Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...

Flash by arab_alt:
- none -

I don't think it really matters for you. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:54:22

18 and up? Why Tom!!! Oh well, I guess I'm out. If you are ever in California, please contact me, you are my hero!!!

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:54:36

i dont think this is a good idea

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:55:07

At 2/18/05 06:51 PM, mellowfellow wrote: not that im ever going to win, but this 'cash for flash' thing, is it just a one off?

Depending on the success of this month, I hope to repeat it monthly.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:55:24

Interesting, that's one word for it. I have my doubts about it though, especially about the artists becoming resentful. I can see it now, people producing flash for nothing more than money, all creativity being thrown out the window in favour of cheap flashy graphics. However, I can see how it will encourage authors to up their standard of work, so whatever.

FUCK

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:56:04

That's the hottest idea I've seen on Newgrounds as of yet.
I'm sure you've thought about hundreds of angles to prevent foul play. Kudos on the good will NG staff. It's really cool to see you give back to the fans that support you every day.

If you need any help with the process just get in touch. I'd be more than happy to help. :)

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:56:16

Errmmm... Tom what if you are under 18? Could you like send an Alien Hominid signed by you and Dan Paladin? If you did I would actually start flash and try really hard.

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:56:51

At 2/18/05 06:54 PM, Kam-Ron wrote: Haha, now TOMMY will come back. Good idea with the panel thing though. If it went by votes it would go horribly wrong. I know it's experimentation and all, but how do the process work? Do they look through ever flash that makes it into the portal and decide from there? Or does a series of nominations happen? Also, what will happen on group flash movies? Good luck with it I guess.

Group Flash is something we will have to deal with as we come to it. If it is a collab with individual entries, we might decide a single entry deserves the prize, or we might split it. If it is a game made by an artist and a programmer they will have to split the winnings.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:58:14

At 2/18/05 06:56 PM, Donnie_Darko wrote: Errmmm... Tom what if you are under 18? Could you like send an Alien Hominid signed by you and Dan Paladin? If you did I would actually start flash and try really hard.

My concern is legal issues. If we get an exceptional entry by someone under 18, we will have to consider our options. However, it is a bad legal move to just send a minor a check.

BBS Signature

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:58:42

Whoo hoo! Too bad I suck at making anything in flash :'(

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:58:43

At 2/18/05 06:53 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Flash by arab_alt:
- none -

I don't think it really matters for you. :)

Or you.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:58:58

You just added hours of more work for yourself :( But I know you can do it! Best of luck!

Is there going to be a special page, where we can view ALL of the winners, regardless of the dates?

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:59:18

I think profit motive will help artists make better submissions.

good luck, and I think it's a great idea

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 18:59:46

At 2/18/05 06:53 PM, TomFulp wrote: Flash by arab_alt:
- none -

Hahaha. That's probably the best/worst insult possible on NG.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:00:43

An interesting idea, I'm glad Newgrounds is strong enough now to have contests like these. May the best artist win!

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:00:51

God danm, it's times like this I wish I stuck with flash. I think this is kinda unfair though. Becuase there's professional flash artists and professional studios that submit content to NG. So what chance does the 18 year old in his parents basement have? I dunno, I just think anyone who wins this contest won't really need the money. What I'm trying to say is, I'm poor, send me money. Thanks.

Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:03:07

At 2/18/05 06:46 PM, SEX4CHEAP wrote:
And how the bloody fuck does it manage that?
Is Tom selling pints of blood to pay for the servers again?

Don't you see all the ads we run? Is it that hard to figure out that ads=revenue???

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature