Respond to this Topic
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:21 PM Reply

I think it's a great incentive for people who work hard on movies for free, although I do have my doubts. After a while certain artists will no doubt win several times (most of them deservedly so) but I can't help but think that some people will vote down these artists movie out of spite that they've won multiple times. Of course I'd like to have more faith in the newgrounds community than that. Mabey awarding prizes fewer times per year could prevent that. Although I doubt it'll cause any damage to try out the system the way you have it now for a few months.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:22 PM Reply

my heart skipped a beat when I read the topic... it's still beating irregularly, though!

I think this is a great idea. I think it might very well bring in more professional work into the portal, for better or for worse. it will make competition harder for simple autodidact idiots like myself, but on the other hand, with a jury or something similar chosing entries rather than just looking at the score/views, I think and hope those submissions closer to the "heart of NG" will still stand a better chance of being chosen. after all, what is somebody like Zipperfish gonna do with 250 bucks more? I bet they/he are/is fine the way he is...

This announcement makes me so much more motivated to finish the stuff I'm working on right now. If it's gonna be in the top 5 of the month, well maybe it's a dream but I'll give it my best!

Thank you Tom Fulp and all other responsible at NG! You are the best, seriously!

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, Earfetish wrote: I have my concerns about democracy... but the idea of a 'private panel' is a good one. So long as everything is fair and unbiased and above-board, then it's a great idea.

You mean, so the NG audience's voice won't determine it? That's a relly good idea. I was actually thinking they should do that for the top 10 of all time. Once something gets a high rating, they have appointed non-biased people allow or decline something of top 10, because a lot of NG's users are 0 or 5 people. We all also know that if it's based on users, they'll have their crews (or fans) 5 their videos everyday as they have them 0 the competition. It's bound to happen that way. It already does happen. $250 is just more incentive for people to do it.

I suck.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Tom will figure out a fair way to get the community involved. One idea is to only allow high level users, maybe those with 1000 EXP or more, to vote from a pool of entries. To get in the pool the entries may have had to been feature on the front pgae, been in the Daily Top 5, etc. Those are details we'll have to go over to make things as fair as possible.
Maybe we'll require users to have 2,000 EXP to vote. :)

Why don't you allow people with 1000 EXP to vote but people with more EXP will have more voting power.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
SorryBadAccount
SorryBadAccount
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 09:21 PM, jercurpac wrote:

:After a while certain artists will no doubt win several times (most of them deservedly so) but I can't help but think that some people will vote down these artists movie out of spite that they've won multiple times.

I can see Happy Tree Friends (just using as an example) just raping the top 5 every month. There's are good chance that there will be a couple artists who win a lot of the time. But they deserve it. It "isn't fair" for the kid who lives with his parents, sure, but that's all the more reason for him to stick with it.

The positive will outway the negative, though. That's the important part. $250 is nice, but the best part is that visitors will get more, better content

OrionMX
OrionMX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:40 PM Reply

Hm... good idea but it might make things a bit corrupt. I would've liked for this to remain a bit for pure but whatever. Not my cash to push around. Bear in mind this could also affect voting. If you hate an artist, you could make it difficult for him to get cash by intentionally voting low and convincing others to do so.

-O

Masculine
Masculine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 41
Artist
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:43 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 09:22 PM, mackan_ wrote: This announcement makes me so much more motivated to finish the stuff I'm working on right now. If it's gonna be in the top 5 of the month, well maybe it's a dream but I'll give it my best!

I love your all your flashes, it's great to hear you are working again.

Can't wait for you new stuff, pretty sure it will be in the Top 5 hah.

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 09:24 PM, KupaMan wrote:
At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, Earfetish wrote: I have my concerns about democracy... but the idea of a 'private panel' is a good one. So long as everything is fair and unbiased and above-board, then it's a great idea.
You mean, so the NG audience's voice won't determine it? That's a relly good idea.

Bingo. It might sound horribly dictaorship-ish, but a select, intelligent, completely unbiased few should do the voting.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 09:07 PM, MattSuicide wrote: The final decision shouldn't be made by the public, plain and simple. The initial pool of movies to vote on can be the top 50 of the month or something, then the panel of appointed judges chooses. That panel could be the authors of those 50 movies. They can give 5 votes to the movies (not including their own) that they think is the best.

I really like that idea. Let the artists who are in the pool of the month's best movies vote amoungst themselves. They will be judged by their peers, not the NG staff, not NG users who don't make Flash, or didn't get nominated, etc. This way they can only blame each other. :)

I have recommended this to Tom.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

unownedJR
unownedJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:13 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 06:45 PM, arab_alt wrote: Is it just $250? I was hoping it would be more...

shut up that's awesome lol

in NZ that's $500....*CHING*

the flash on this account isn't mine

AsthmaticHamster
AsthmaticHamster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Filmmaker
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:16 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 09:07 PM, MattSuicide wrote: The final decision shouldn't be made by the public, plain and simple. The initial pool of movies to vote on can be the top 50 of the month or something, then the panel of appointed judges chooses. That panel could be the authors of those 50 movies. They can give 5 votes to the movies (not including their own) that they think is the best.

Most of these authors are just here to promote their cartoon (like James Farr), so I think it would be wiser to use active NG users or veterans users. So, choosing from the experience points is the best thing to do. Then again, you are right about the public voting for this. I mean, I don't want to see the guy who did Numa Numa win this thing! :(

But this contest is such a great idea. And the best thing is that I just might JUST MIGHT have a chance in this with Porcelain! XD !

Thanks, NG!

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 09:55 PM, Earfetish wrote:
At 2/18/05 09:24 PM, KupaMan wrote:
You mean, so the NG audience's voice won't determine it? That's a relly good idea.
Bingo. It might sound horribly dictaorship-ish, but a select, intelligent, completely unbiased few should do the voting.

And they could be picked kinda like moderators. Though, you would need quite a few and have people, all who different types of videos and people with different politics because you wouldn't want someone not awarded of their just prize because all the mods are democrat/republican and their video pokes at their side. Or, if all of them are deep haters of stick videos independent of the quality, they might not get their deserved reward.

PS: Sorry for spelling "really" wrong on my last post. It was a typo. I'm not just a crap grammared idiot if you're thinking that of me now.

I suck.

Ace-Armada
Ace-Armada
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:18 PM Reply

Tom Fulp is right, i agree one hundred percent with him! Btw Tom ur my hero! U rock... check out my site Tom :P

X-Core
X-Core
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:23 PM Reply

WOOHOO cool idea, i know i wont be even in the running to win for a while once i finish my 1st couple o flashes, but its still pretty cool.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 18+ rule, there are so many flash artists on newgrounds who are younger than that, (not all of them make good flash, which i know) but still but i guess its all legal stuff anyways.

Like i said cool idea.

FreedomSlave
FreedomSlave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:24 PM Reply

This idea has great potential, however i'm a bit concerned about copyright issues. A lot of movies still use copyrighted music (even though the audio portal helps a bit) if an artist makes money from a flash that uses copyrighted material then surely that would be considered commercial gain.

With the RIAA being the whores they are at the moment i can see them coming down hard on an artist for making money using something they (the RIAA) 'own'.

Just a thought

A-Nobody
A-Nobody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:25 PM Reply

great idea-250 buckaroos for a flash thats a good deal- i expect to see some good flash

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 10:18 PM, Lock_Vader wrote: Tom Fulp is right, i agree one hundred percent with him! Btw Tom ur my hero! U rock... check out my site Tom :P

What is Tom right about? Contribute please. "LOL TOM IZ 1337 OMFG LUK AT MY SITE ITS K1773R!" And it's not realy an agree or disagree thread, incase you didn't read the post. If anything, it would be a "That's a good idea/that's a bad idea" thread. So, Shhhh!

I suck.

TESM
TESM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:27 PM Reply

as has been said, i'm alittle put down about the 18 and older, because there are many talented minors out there, what specific legal issues is it to send a check to someone underage...

sorry, i just don't know.

WondaBread
WondaBread
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:32 PM Reply

Tom will you take money off for postage??

Michelangelo
Michelangelo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:35 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 06:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: So read about the contest and submit some Flash! Just remember, we don't want to see anyone turn into a greedy ass over this. Having your Flash seen by thousands (potentially millions) of people is the reward. Cash prizes are just the icing on the cake!

so...if your one of the top 5 artist
of the month, you earn some dough?
regardlessly, your are right on how its
a prize in itself to just have your animations
featured on this site for free, though it just
might be that extra incentive for some people
to try harder in their cartoons :D
Mj

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:44 PM Reply

Well im on the fence about this venture. While I could see that money is a good incentive for people to try harder, most of the users who turn in 'crappy' flash are minors..no disrespect intended... theres many talented minors its not a jab at them... so its a moot point in my eyes to use that as a reason.
Anyways I dunno if there will be a way to get a fair voting system in. Maybe you could have a mix of different genres.. like have a randomly generated pool of regular users as one voting panel, another of maybe more professional artists such as james farr and such (obviously artists that arent under contention) and then have a final pool of users consisting of high level users. This would sort of take a pinch of each genre without excluding a group. You'd have the everyman vote, the refined professional, and the veteran diehard newgroundser.

-L

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

<deleted>
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:46 PM Reply

I like the part where he says that the automated score would not be counted because it could be cheated. he has SO heard of the Star Syndicate.

SiSiMeN
SiSiMeN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 10:57 PM Reply

too bad i suck at flash lol
too bad its not on music instead.

ahh well, wonder whos gonna win?

TJ
TJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 11:10 PM Reply

About legality, does prize money have to be sent as a check? I know Tom has better things to do than to deal with parents, but what if Tom were to send money electronically though Paypal to verified users?

I don't know how to search up the legalities for minors, but it does sound like you guys have your minds made up. I don't blame you, it's just less worry. Oh well, no cash for my ass.

TmsT
TmsT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 11:30 PM Reply

Hello, prospecting Cash-4-Flash winners,

Got a great idea for a potential Daily Feature but lack the technical Flash skills to carry it out?

Introducing... ME! :D

I have been animating in Flash for about two years now, and have so far had three "Daily Features" (among other 2nd & 3rd placings, and various front-page features), but you can check that out in my profile (TmsT) - I'm not here to skite.

What I'm here to do is be a whore. Of sorts.

Yeah. If you've got an idea for a movie that you think has a shot at winning you $250, then why not invest in a reasonably capable animator like me? Sure, most of my movies are popular for their amusing ideas rather than spiffing animation, but if you've got a good idea, then I can draw and animate it for you very effectively. See my latest daily winner "Up Skit Creek" for a small sample of the variety of styles in which I can animate.

I am also a musician and have composed and performed my own soundtracks for some of my movies here (eg, Frosty vs Rudolf), so there's another job potentially taken care of.

e-mail me on [email protected] for details if you're interested in sponsoring me as your own personal animator.

Windy shaky driver,

-Andrew.

PS: Sorry if this sounds like a spam email, but I'm not trying to rip anybody off like some pyramid scam. I'm hoping to team up with more people and get noticed a bit more.

Listen2Reason
Listen2Reason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Programmer
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 11:35 PM Reply

*reads contest details* Wait...the prizes will be for the *best* submissions? Oh, well, crap, I know I can't compete...

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 11:49 PM Reply

I think we all tend to hear comments about how depositing exp. points doesn't mean shit. I think think this is an excellent opportunity to reward users for depositing regularly, kind of like what the Grounds Gold secrets seemed to be about once upon a time.

Why NOT reward the higher level users by giving them exclusive privileges to vote on the best submissions of the month? Although I do like the idea of just the month's top 50 authors voting on each other.

Also, do all Flash movies get lumped together? What is the basis by which these movies will be judged? This is just me, but I tend to believe that the better Flash submission is the one that makes the most out of what Flash can do. That means a combination of good animation, as well as decent ActionScript. A good submission will take advantage of Flash's abilities.
I know a lot of people don't agree with that, because there are fantastic artists out there who can animate really well, but there's no interactivity, or can code really well, but the graphics aren't the best. So...to restate the question: What's the criteria for winning? Too hard to say?

One final question: Is there any way to distinguish "amateur" user submissions from submissions by professional design companies? I suppose the IP addresses can be used to find out such information...but I was curious about that...

TOXIC-BOMB
TOXIC-BOMB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 11:55 PM Reply

Holy cowzors, better get to work! IF I win, im gonna give it to charity! :p

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 18th, 2005 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 2/18/05 07:13 PM, XXXMATTXXX wrote: now i know this will never be answered because its not really are bussiness and its never been answered before but how much money do you make a year?

tell ya what, ask your mom and dad how much they make a year, and post on here..

maybe Tom will answer then.

Freakish-Beast
Freakish-Beast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 19th, 2005 @ 12:22 AM Reply

thats a motivation to get me to start flash again xD