Norwegian-Blue
Norwegian-Blue
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 15:29:51 Reply

Tom

I think there should be a limit, so each author can only win the prize once each 6 months or something

So Illwillpress, Knox or LF wont win every month

AnJeLiQ
AnJeLiQ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 15:35:04 Reply

At 2/19/05 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/19/05 01:33 PM, _Xenon_ wrote: What if we've used copyrighted music in our submissions? I can't win this, due to age, but it's just something that has occured to me.
Using copyrighted music will not disqualify your submission, but it will be considered in the judging process. If there are two submissions that are close and one uses Audio Portal music while the other uses copyrighted music, the one with Audio Portal music will win.

That's a great idea. It'll help keep down the amount of copyrighted songs in use, plus give good exposure to the audio portal.

I'm sure now that people know that the audio portal could give them in edge in a close call, much copyrighted music won't be used anyway.

Xenon
Xenon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 15:36:20 Reply

At 2/19/05 03:29 PM, Norwegian_Blue wrote: I think there should be a limit, so each author can only win the prize once each 6 months or something

I partially agree, but maybe it should be more like once every 3 months, some authors work fast, and yet their work would still be of high quality and deservant (real word?) of another award.

Using copyrighted music will not disqualify your submission, but it will be considered in the judging process. If there are two submissions that are close and one uses Audio Portal music while the other uses copyrighted music, the one with Audio Portal music will win.

Thanks for clearing that up, Tom :)

pls dont smoke ur sigs near me

CreateAndDestroy
CreateAndDestroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 15:38:14 Reply

Nice. Very nice.

Halley
Halley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 15:49:58 Reply

WOOT!!

I've just been figuring out some new flash projects...
I don't feel that i've reached my present ability in animation yet...

and now MONEY!! i need money too!! [counts chickens before they hatch]

of course i'll have to wait for next month project, I turn 18 on March 9th... (same date that new South Park episodes come out ^_^)

I hope this works well for NG... It's happy to know that I was here before all the changes... I remember back in the day... heehee

^_^

KyLuYa
KyLuYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 16:18:12 Reply

but i dont have 250 dollars.

SmartAleck
SmartAleck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 16:23:21 Reply

You should really give prizes to different genres of movies. I have seen many great sprite movies that are well done, unfortunatley mant dont give sprite animators the respect they deserve. A hand drawn movie may be very good but if a sprite comes along thats better but since the author didnt do any thing to actually create, most will shun it.
I know it sounds stupid to many of you but it's hard to explain so screw you it sounds good in ym head

Evil-Dog
Evil-Dog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 16:34:28 Reply

At 2/19/05 04:23 PM, SmartAleck wrote: unfortunatley mant dont give sprite animators the respect they deserve.

Sprite movies, like any other movies, get the score that they deserve based on the general opinion, it's called democracy, Besides, in my opinion, sprites are ugly (low graphic quality ON PURPOSE, that's lame), they are not animated (just moved around and switched with other sprites over time) most of the time. So sprite movies are to be judged like all other types of movies. I see no reason to do it differently. If people don't like sprites, it's like that.

NightCrawler
NightCrawler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 16:50:43 Reply

At 2/19/05 04:23 PM, SmartAleck wrote: You should really give prizes to different genres of movies. I have seen many great sprite movies that are well done, unfortunatley mant dont give sprite animators the respect they deserve. A hand drawn movie may be very good but if a sprite comes along thats better but since the author didnt do any thing to actually create, most will shun it.
I know it sounds stupid to many of you but it's hard to explain so screw you it sounds good in ym head

I actually believe that is a great idea. But it would kind of get complex. Because how many different genres could there be. Let me think of 5 off the top of my head that might work.
1.) Sprites (Best sprite movie)
2.) Hand Drawn (Best movie graphics wise that was animated)
3.) Action (Best action movie)
4.) Comedy (Best comedy movie)
5.) Miscellanious (for movies that are good, but dont fall into one of the above categories)
In my opinion, these are good categories, but odds are, not many others will agree. People will say, "What if there were no good sprite movies, and 2 really good action movies." And when they say this, i cant help but agree with them. Although it would be nice to have categories like this...it would cause too many problems. The only reason why i would want categories is for giving the award to different types of movies. (I am also submitting 2 Sprite movies with PhoenixCrossX very soon, its the finale to Sonic Matrixa, part one is in my sig.) But... i think it should overall just stay as is to avoid much conflict. But its not up to me...its up to Tom, so whatever he chooses to do is up to him...odds are, he is going to leave it as is...in which i dont blame him at all.

BBS Signature
tumeg-a-dude
tumeg-a-dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 16:52:45 Reply

hey this isnt really a reply but i what to know what program you need to make flash

plzzz for the love of dog tell meeeE

AsthmaticHamster
AsthmaticHamster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Filmmaker
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 16:55:16 Reply

At 2/19/05 04:50 PM, Smithercell wrote: I actually believe that is a great idea. But it would kind of get complex. Because how many different genres could there be. Let me think of 5 off the top of my head that might work.
1.) Sprites (Best sprite movie)

I don't think people doing Sprite movies should have a category of their own though...I know there's a lot of hard work going into these, but if copyrighted music isn't favored, copyrighted sprites should go through the same process...

Costa-K
Costa-K
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 17:06:32 Reply

This si a pretty sweet idea, but even though i wouldn't win anything, kinda makes me sad peopel under 18 don't got a shot, it might stop those really annoying flashes were they just have a picture flashing with some music, if those people got somethin to work for they might stop. possibly

smiffy-uk
smiffy-uk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 17:24:53 Reply

Maybe I should stop being lazy now...

Gimmy-Ribs
Gimmy-Ribs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 17:37:16 Reply

I can't belive I have to wait five years untill I can compete.. I is very angry Tom ; ;

But really, I have just skimmed over a couple pages so you might have already said the answer: why the age limit, if (roughly quoting you) "Neo Geo was started when I was thirteen, and that's why NG is aimed/tolerant of young people"?

Yeah, anyway.. I'm exactly half your age, so I feel pretty inferior.

What? Sorry.

SmartAleck
SmartAleck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 18:02:59 Reply

Well i was just throwing sprites out as an example, Smithercell has a good idea with the categories thingy

Moody-Media
Moody-Media
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 18:06:17 Reply

Wow! i gotta get better at flash lol

For the last time, i don't know how to rip a CD!!

BBS Signature
King
King
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 18:15:53 Reply

This is a sweet idea, it's going to make NewGrounds even better. To bad I have no skill at flash, in fact whenever I try to download it, it doesn't even download right but what ever. Good idea Tom. This contest is open to everyone thought right? It doesn't matter what country you live in, does it? Since their are amazing flash authors from almost every country you can think of.

Bleh.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 18:31:35 Reply

At 2/18/05 06:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'm hoping I never regret this decision, but starting this month we are experimenting with monthly cash rewards!

Damn it! Now you made me wish I have Flash MX!

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
SSCDragonheart
SSCDragonheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 19:11:23 Reply

I need Help to get more Exp can some one plase help me out you can tell me how by emailing me at cfox416@yahoo.com

scottmale24
scottmale24
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 19:35:03 Reply

10th page get.

You're just doing it because "cash for your flash" rhymes, aren't you?

Art thread // Epic Quest! // Webcomic
Sig art by Kosmikophobia

BBS Signature
EviLudy
EviLudy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 19:36:25 Reply

At 2/19/05 02:10 PM, fR0ZEN wrote:
At 2/19/05 01:10 PM, EviLudy wrote:
I couldn't care less about the money because I probably won't win such a thing anyway, it's more about holding back the underaged users. I'm sick of that crap of the older users bitching off the younger once about their age.
Well, just act with maturity and then we'll see. And besides, he's not "holding back" on underaged users, it's just a legal thing...

Why is it a legal thing? The cheque of money I just cashed which I earned from my site shipped from New York. I don't know the Law sir, these two are probably complete different, but just a note.

At 2/19/05 03:29 PM, Norwegian_Blue wrote: I think there should be a limit, so each author can only win the prize once each 6 months or something
So Illwillpress, Knox or LF wont win every month

Nicolay to come with a brilliant Idea

Swing a Little more!
.. ROCK OUT!

BBS Signature
Bob-is-Gawd
Bob-is-Gawd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 19:41:13 Reply

I don't understand how you will prevent cheating, if you have a secret pannel of judges then the only way to cheat would be to steal an animation, and that would get tricky.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 20:03:17 Reply

i think that tom should have fine tuned the guidlines/procedure better before he put this out there.. theres still alot of holes in it. I mean if he has the budget to go through a couple test months of this in an attempt to fine tune as they go on then all power to him.

But I can just see it attracting a bunch of ugly users.. for instance companies who do commercial flash entertainment.. dont really feel like mentioning names... and just make an account and just start diverting their content over to take this purse. Granted its not alot of money but its free money for the taking for them... what chance does a 18yr old kid in his mommas basement making flash have against these companies who have the budgets to go record sound professionally, have teams of sweat shop flash artists make shit month in and out, etc etc.
I kinda like ng as a place where its about free entertainment and self expression not some money making opp.

-L

None

Toocool100
Toocool100
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 20:12:28 Reply

At 2/19/05 08:03 PM, _Luis_ wrote:
I kinda like ng as a place where its about free entertainment and self expression not some money making opp.

-L

agreed for most of what you said,
I think the extra money can be used in other areas other than giving it away -.-

Every once in very great while comes a ridiculously funny thread. So funny in fact i must put it into my sig http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /1049194/1

raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 20:24:15 Reply

:(stuff and) I kinda like ng as a place where its about free entertainment and self expression not some money making opp.

only because you know you won't get the money as you're always doing collaborations :P

AloneInTheDark
AloneInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 21:20:28 Reply

But I can just see it attracting a bunch of ugly users.. for instance companies who do commercial flash entertainment.. dont really feel like mentioning names... and just make an account and just start diverting their content over to take this purse. Granted its not alot of money but its free money for the taking for them... what chance does a 18yr old kid in his mommas basement making flash have against these companies who have the budgets to go record sound professionally, have teams of sweat shop flash artists make shit month in and out, etc etc.

-L

But thats why it is important to have a selecter group of people who can voite for the winners. People who will take all these things in consideration before deciding who wins the prize. Not only judge on the visual quality of a flash, but on the other aspects also. Like they do at the oscars ;)

BBS Signature
KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 21:27:45 Reply

But I can just see it attracting a bunch of ugly users.. for instance companies who do commercial flash entertainment.. dont really feel like mentioning names... and just make an account and just start diverting their content over to take this purse.

I agree. This was what I was trying to say earlier but you made my point a little clearer... :)
How do you differentiate from genuine NG users and some of the accounts set up by companies who are just advertising for their own reasons?
And are games and movies going to be lumped into one category??

AloneInTheDark
AloneInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 21:36:11 Reply

Actually Ii would just say let Tom himself decide every month. He sees many movies, knows all about the website and afterall, it is his money

BBS Signature
DeputyDan
DeputyDan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 21:53:33 Reply

I think it is awesome that you can give out some money so that some ppl who are really great at flash but dont have time beacuse of money etc can now have an incentive to work for. way to give back! <3

kcirbmab
kcirbmab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-19 22:33:11 Reply

Wouldn't this cause legal problems if the winning flashes had copyrighted music since the author is making a profit?

Sorry if it was already brought up.