Respond to this Topic
Opium-Fields-Forever
Opium-Fields-Forever
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:32:00 Reply

I have a feeling that the Interactive Buddy author will win some cash this month, and rightly so.

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:32:17 Reply

Wow, sounds great >: )

If I ever once bring home a newgrounds check, that will forever shut my dad up about spending more time on personal work than I do at school

BBS Signature
BazookaNinja
BazookaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:32:19 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Maybe we'll require users to have 2,000 EXP to vote. :)

Noes! How about a minimum of 1,400? :)

da-pope
da-pope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:32:50 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Maybe we'll require users to have 2,000 EXP to vote. :)

No problem!

BBS Signature
Opium-Fields-Forever
Opium-Fields-Forever
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:34:54 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Tom will figure out a fair way to get the community involved. One idea is to only allow high level users, maybe those with 1000 EXP or more, to vote from a pool of entries. To get in the pool the entries may have had to been feature on the front pgae, been in the Daily Top 5, etc. Those are details we'll have to go over to make things as fair as possible.

Don't have 1,00 EXP? You've had since 12/15/99 to start depositing, so don't whine that you don't have enough EXP points. :)

Maybe we'll require users to have 2,000 EXP to vote. :)

Having 1,000 to be the limit would rule, but as AloneInTheDark said, there are alot of immature, stupid people with well over 1,000 exp points (probably some even above 5,000) that will just vote for lame, meaningless movies month after month. Maybe you and Tom can figure something out.

packow
packow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:37:25 Reply

Personally, I am against the idea. This changes Newgrounds completely. Newgrounds used to be about the flash, about shock value, about pissing off tight ass politicians and mothers with hilarious and extreme flash, and also to show talent. Over the years, It has changed into more of a site to show off your skills with the program, and the conteroversial flash that was once the vulgar glory of Newgrounds is now disowned, a good example being piconjo, who is a subject of controversy. With this new cash prize, Newgrounds will soon be known as a flash contest website. It would be inevitable. The funny and ENTERTAINING flash movies will slow down to a dribble. I think that the idea of having your flash movie seen by hundreds or thousands of people should be its own reward.

TESM
TESM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:37:35 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Tom will figure out a fair way to get the community involved. One idea is to only allow high level users, maybe those with 1000 EXP or more, to vote from a pool of entries. To get in the pool the entries may have had to been feature on the front pgae, been in the Daily Top 5, etc. Those are details we'll have to go over to make things as fair as possible.

Don't have 1,00 EXP? You've had since 12/15/99 to start depositing, so don't whine that you don't have enough EXP points. :)

i think that if we have the 'elite members' of NG vote, such as those 2000 and over so there is less favoritism, and this way, the more loyal and experienced users can have a crack at helping out.

also, this is a nice idea, but be careful with the immensity of the prize, cool tho.

BurstStudio
BurstStudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Programmer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:37:59 Reply

I was ecstatic when i saw the page. As I read on, my anticipation grew and grew, then the biggest let-down of all, "You will need to be over 18 years old..". Downtrodden and broken, I clicked the X.

No money for me.

PowerRangerYELLOW
PowerRangerYELLOW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:38:16 Reply

What about underrated submissions and artists? will they be eligible for the price too?

I don't think this should just apply to artists in the Top 50 of all time because it's not always the best of the best there.

LordRobbo
LordRobbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:39:16 Reply

Sounds good, and what a lovely number you have chosen

Sakurazukamori
Sakurazukamori
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:39:50 Reply

I don't know if Tom has thought of this, but offering cash could make the levels of cheating and "mass voting" soar to new heights. If people will perform underhanded measures just for an icon in their profile and some additional recognition, think of what they will do when money is at stake. :O

DarkArchon
DarkArchon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:40:44 Reply

I really dont know what to Say, Tom. It has its upsides, and its downsides.

Cheaters for this system will need to be looked at, more-so than ever before.

Also, is this why Mr. illwillpress returned?

My Email -- DarkArchon@Newgrounds.com ... LOL WOW this signature is ancient.

BBS Signature
jimmy-jimmy
jimmy-jimmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:41:36 Reply

i like the idea of having it be a secret. $250 in the pocket would be very nice! BUT WHATS UP WITH THE 18 AND OLDER!? that just not cool.

BatDan
BatDan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:43:34 Reply

Well Tom, ever since I met you at Comic-Con 04 and told you I wanted to be a Flash artist and you said "keep going at that goal" of course those may have not been your exact words since this was a while ago. But now meeting you and this contest has inspired me even more. To bad I've got to wait 3 years and 1 month before I can even have a chance of winning.

AapoJoki
AapoJoki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:43:54 Reply

I'm having a bad feeling about this... :(

Well, only time will tell if this idea sucks or not. Fortunately there's always the option to call it off if it goes wrong.

Although, if I made Flash, I wouldn't probably see it that way.

cr0m
cr0m
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:46:10 Reply

15.000!

DarkArchon
DarkArchon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:47:09 Reply

PacoW;

You expressed what I couldnt, in a nutshell.

I disagree on you thinking that Newgrounds will completely change, and people wont look at it as one of the big Shockers, having content like the Unibomber game, the tsunami game, And the Assassin games.

I think it will give people a reason to put much more effort into movies, but I dont think it will totally rock the portal, and will make it lose site of the movies that fall into the "crappy, but funny", or "Funny, random dribble" Category's.

BBS Signature
LordRobbo
LordRobbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:47:43 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:29 PM, WadeFulp wrote: To get in the pool the entries may have had to been feature on the front page, been in the Daily Top 5, etc. Those are details we'll have to go over to make things as fair as possible.

Sorry for the double post but does that mean, for example, a submission I submitted earlier this week with a friend (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/219238), our first submission to Newgrounds which got through, is not eligible because it didn't win any awards and didn't make front page?

Now I know this applies to many entries and generally the higher scoring entries are much better. But would you say One Ring 3 was better then every other entry with a lower score?

BazookaNinja
BazookaNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:48:33 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:46 PM, Revrent wrote: 15.000!

Hmmm... WTF?

DarkArchon
DarkArchon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:49:19 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:41 PM, jimmy-jimmy wrote: i like the idea of having it be a secret. $250 in the pocket would be very nice! BUT WHATS UP WITH THE 18 AND OLDER!? that just not cool.

As stated, its for legal reasons.

BBS Signature
PowerRangerYELLOW
PowerRangerYELLOW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:51:55 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:47 PM, LordRobbo wrote: Sorry for the double post but does that mean, for example, a submission I submitted earlier this week with a friend (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/219238), our first submission to Newgrounds which got through, is not eligible because it didn't win any awards and didn't make front page?

Now I know this applies to many entries and generally the higher scoring entries are much better. But would you say One Ring 3 was better then every other entry with a lower score?

I think they should also tally in review score too instead of just vote score. this way every movie has a fair chance.

StarCleaver
StarCleaver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:52:47 Reply

I'm all up for the idea of money, but I'm still skeptical. People are going to feel cheated in some instances, or they will try to cheat in others. I liked the console contest better. ;)

I could surely die If I only had some pie Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature
Dumbed-up
Dumbed-up
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:54:05 Reply

Hmm, the idea is interesting but it might lead to some of the less moral people present here to some flash thievery. The sly bastards. If one artist submits a whole bunch of excellent flash is it possible for them to win more than one of the checks? What happens with collaberations? Do the artists divy it up amongst themselves?

VeryProudofYa
VeryProudofYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:55:30 Reply

Sounds like a fine idea to me, although I won't get to vote for some time.

Ona nonrelated note: Wade, why do you end nearly all of your posts with a smiley? I've seen your pic and read your cutting insults and you don't seem like a happy guy at all.>:)

I know a drugstore cowgirl, so afraid of getting bored. STREET SHARKS! THEY'RE JAWSOME Radiogrounds raped my father

BBS Signature
pistoldisco
pistoldisco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:56:27 Reply

....now where is this...private panel...?

AloneInTheDark
AloneInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 19:57:08 Reply

Actually that is pretty smart. Not only will you have a selecter group of people who can vote, you also encourage one time visitors to create an account and to keep them depositing exp points.

BBS Signature
WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:02:09 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:37 PM, PacoW wrote: I think that the idea of having your flash movie seen by hundreds or thousands of people should be its own reward.

I'm pretty much in the same boat you are. It's not that I don't want Flash artists to get money, I just fear it will change Newgrounds. However, it may change Newgrounds for the better. We'll have to see what happens. We can always stop giving out money if it has a negative impact. .

As far as content, look at the front page, did you see the Bill Cosby game? We still have plenty of shocking Flash coming in.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:02:28 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:37 PM, PacoW wrote: Newgrounds used to be about the flash, about shock value, about pissing off tight ass politicians and mothers with hilarious and extreme flash, and also to show talent.

Right.

Over the years, It has changed into more of a site to show off your skills with the program, and the conteroversial flash that was once the vulgar glory of Newgrounds is now disowned, a good example being piconjo, who is a subject of controversy.

Piconjo is only a "subject of contoversy" internally (i.e. within Newgrounds itself). Whenever we publish controversial works (read - subjects that most of the world will understand (like Osama Bin Laden Flash), rather than just the users from Newgrounds), the press pick up on it.

With this new cash prize, Newgrounds will soon be known as a flash contest website. It would be inevitable. The funny and ENTERTAINING flash movies will slow down to a dribble.

I don't see who. Everyone who wants to are still able to submit whatever the hell they want, within suitable boundaries.

I think that the idea of having your flash movie seen by hundreds or thousands of people should be its own reward.

And it still can be. Nothing's changed there.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:05:22 Reply

At 2/18/05 08:02 PM, liljim wrote: I don't see who.

Err... I don't see how, even.

DukePhillips
DukePhillips
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash 2005-02-18 20:05:59 Reply

At 2/18/05 07:10 PM, BigOlSmacktard wrote: Good Lord. This is NOT going to end well. Money ruins everything. Except sex. Money is always good for sex.

Well I think it will all depend on how the judges are going to judge. If the best work is the work that is the ones worked on the hardest, most clever, well put together, rather then the ones with the most exposure then it will actually help the quality of Newgrounds submissions.

I believe greed does effect NG authorship somewhat. I don't believe this will have anything to do with that. I won't be a cynic and I for one, appreciate the change and the generous gesture from Tom.