Respond to this Topic
kcirbmab
kcirbmab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 19th, 2005 @ 10:33 PM Reply

Wouldn't this cause legal problems if the winning flashes had copyrighted music since the author is making a profit?

Sorry if it was already brought up.

Eyud29
Eyud29
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 19th, 2005 @ 10:52 PM Reply

I don't understand why under 18 users can't just get the checks written in the parent's name. Or Paypal'd the money. And, I've cashed a check before... Are you sure there's an age requirement? There's also the possibility of just sending hidden cash.

DevilsSin666X
DevilsSin666X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 19th, 2005 @ 11:56 PM Reply

YAY!!! MONEY!!!!!

i like money. and now that newgrounds is givin it away...i think there will be alot less crappy entries being submitted (like the ones i make) cause more time will be spent on em.

[RE Club]:[SSB Crew]:[Free Hentai Exchange Club]

Want animated Signature Pics back? Copy this Sig Pic as protest!

BBS Signature
CrawlAway
CrawlAway
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 12:26 AM Reply

i dont know. im still deciding if this will help or just kill the fun of ng. some crazy losers that do flash 24/7 are going to steal the money for people with lives that do flash occasional and skills are average. watever, im leaning towards this hurting newgrounds

packow
packow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 02:03 AM Reply

I have been doing some thinking, and I have come up with an idea for this whole thing, instead of Condemning it completely, which I fear I did in my last posts in this thread. While I am still against the idea, I feel that the awards should be given in a different way. If the Judges (who ever they may be) are asked to choose the "Best" flashes, they will inevitably go for the Well optimized and well made ones, even if they have no entertainment value. I think that this would be betraying what Newgrounds stands for a bit, so I have come up with the following idea:
Why not give out the 5 awards based on the catagories listed in the reviews? That way, Flash movies of all kinds will have equal opputunities. For example, the Judges will vote and the Flash with best graphics for one award, The one with the best action scripting/ addictivity quality that is a game for one award, the most origional and creative flash for another award, The best violent flash for another award, and finally, the Funniest flash for the 5th cash prize. Notice sound is not in there because Sound is not made in flash.

The thing is though, the other categories should not affect the winning flash. Every flash should have a fair chance, not just the glamorous, top 50 ones. Say a flash had slightly Subpar graphics, had a score of about 2.71 or so, but had some of the most origional, hilarious, laugh-your-ass-off jokes, I think that based on the reviewers overall humor score should be on a candidate list.

Sorry If my rambling is incoherant, Its late where I am.

I think that this system will be be more true to the Newgrounds name. Comments?

jeffcumber
jeffcumber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 02:29 AM Reply

sdfagfgdhfghfgh

jeffcumber
jeffcumber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 02:30 AM Reply

235w445 345

jeffcumber
jeffcumber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 02:31 AM Reply

s4t4e te4

someone-else
someone-else
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 03:24 AM Reply

The thing is that some authors may already have a head start, already planning about their original flash a couple months in advance, without any mentioning of the cash prizes awarded. That's why there should be a theme that would make it fair to those who have only heard of the prizes just now, and are just starting to plan.

int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

Gobi
Gobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 04:53 AM Reply

At 2/18/05 07:22 PM, WadeFulp wrote: We have always wanted to give something back to the artists, but money has always been a touchy subject. How to do it and not ruin the Newgrounds experience. We don't want to encourage cheating, we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, etc. So we have always tried to offer everyone as much exposure as possible. To many this will still be worth more than a $250 prize, and I hope a lot of our artists will still mainly submit to NG because they want to share their work with our mass audience. If they happen to win $250 as well, then it's just a bonus.

It will be fun to sit back and see how this plays out.

We will look into getting prizes to minors. If Tom decides to continue the prizes I'm sure he'll explore his options.

hey wade , im just discovering this now 2/20/05 and it says u choose on the end of the month and to have an adress within 30 days ... am i too late for this thing ? Id really love to jump on board this bandwagon and give it my best, i feel i at least have a shot in this thing , ive had loads of ideas for flash . Thnks Nwgrnds crew

Gobi
Gobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 05:00 AM Reply

oy , sorry its me again, but i just had an idea.

Easy way to prevent cheating - Manufacture a special preloader, or symbol or sOMthing , that you can download to indicate u wish to participate in the contest.. and/ or make it a rule you have to put your name within the flash .

just a though.

Mr_Gobi

raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 06:00 AM Reply

just a thought, if this whole candidate system goes through, I think it'd be great if the judges could write comments on why or why not a candidate won. a good way to motivate and help people to improve their flash.

dangerousdarren
dangerousdarren
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 06:33 AM Reply

$15000 a month! Wow I best do my little bit and check out some sponsors for you. Hope that helps you out a little lol

Darklilangel23
Darklilangel23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 06:59 AM Reply

i think its a good idea tom but wouldnt it be easier on everyone if you started the contest in march that way people have the time to make a good movie and not rush it

ya know lot of noobs will try to post crappy movies in an attempt of geting the money

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

EviLudy
EviLudy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 07:32 AM Reply

At 2/19/05 11:56 PM, DevilsSin666X wrote: i like money. and now that newgrounds is givin it away...i think there will be alot less crappy entries being submitted (like the ones i make) cause more time will be spent on em.

Like the flashes you make eh? Wow your submitted flash count is: 0.
Also your age seems to be: 13.
And you seem to go completely for the money, which is what tom wanted to prevent.

Swing a Little more!
.. ROCK OUT!

BBS Signature
RubberNinja
RubberNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 08:01 AM Reply

Just a slight suggestion. You say you are giving out 5 prizes of $250? Why not give them out in categories. For example...

Best Animation
Best script writing
Most original
Best parody
Most artistic

Just a slight thought.

Starogre
Starogre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 09:13 AM Reply

what are the judges basing the movie/game on?

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature
raitendo
raitendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 10:52 AM Reply

At 2/20/05 08:01 AM, Rubber_Ninja wrote: Just a slight suggestion. You say you are giving out 5 prizes of $250? Why not give them out in categories. For example...

Best Animation
Best script writing
Most original
Best parody
Most artistic

Just a slight thought.

I think it'd be a big mistake to limit oneself to one prize a category. if there are two great animations in one month, should only one be awarded? or if you've got more than one great game? nah, I say they should just go for general GREATNESS :)

AnJeLiQ
AnJeLiQ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 11:06 AM Reply

At 2/20/05 06:00 AM, mackan_ wrote: just a thought, if this whole candidate system goes through, I think it'd be great if the judges could write comments on why or why not a candidate won. a good way to motivate and help people to improve their flash.

I think that is an *awesome* idea. Kind of American Idolish, but I think it truly would be a good way to motivate and help people. Also, instead of people just getting all mad and huffy about why they didn't win, this would give them an insite as to maybe why they didn't take the prize.

STIKSVILLE
STIKSVILLE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 11:28 AM Reply

i think tom and wade should judge the whole contest with the help of a few high level viewers cus i think that would help stop people like the star sydicate and watever getting their mates to vote for them because that wouldnt be fair but anyway cant wait to see how all this turns out!!!! :P

ChaoticMonki
ChaoticMonki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 12:02 PM Reply

post 300! w00t, nice idea tom

Blue-Essence
Blue-Essence
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 12:38 PM Reply

Sounds like a great idea tom! But I just thought i'd ask... how will these flashes be rated? Cause if they are being rated by NG users, then that may screw up the true rating of a good flash. By this I mean some tards just like to rate it crap because they can. So would this be rated by you? Or NG users...

LaqeurHed
LaqeurHed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 2/20/05 08:01 AM, Rubber_Ninja wrote: Just a slight suggestion. You say you are giving out 5 prizes of $250? Why not give them out in categories. For example...

Best Animation
Best script writing
Most original
Best parody
Most artistic

Just a slight thought.

The only seperate categories i would suggest would be for movies and games. It would be hard for a game to win in categories such as best parody and best script writing.

kingpaladin
kingpaladin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 01:26 PM Reply

Shit $15000 a month, no wonder you need so many ads.

PowerRangerYELLOW
PowerRangerYELLOW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 01:39 PM Reply

At 2/20/05 06:59 AM, Darklilangel23 wrote: ya know lot of noobs will try to post crappy movies in an attempt of geting the money

Some of us actually post crap movies for fun. it has nothing to do with money.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 01:44 PM Reply

At 2/19/05 08:03 PM, _Luis_ wrote: But I can just see it attracting a bunch of ugly users.. for instance companies who do commercial flash entertainment..

The intent is to award deserving users and not "corporate Flash". I don't think it will be a hard goal to maintain.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
cr0m
cr0m
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 01:56 PM Reply

If its a flash made by a minor just give him free exp points on ng or
or maybe his own section under originals.

gamatek
gamatek
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 02:18 PM Reply

is paypal allowed? if it was paypal, I would try out.

LaqeurHed
LaqeurHed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 2/20/05 02:18 PM, gamatek wrote: is paypal allowed? if it was paypal, I would try out.

Billy: GIVE ME UR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Steve84
Steve84
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Cash for your Flash Feb. 20th, 2005 @ 03:58 PM Reply

sounds cool if I had flash and was any good I would enter