00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heretoplayarnd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,512 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:34:32

At 3/3/05 10:12 PM, YoinK_VineS wrote: XwaynecoltX should be a review mod, he is a great reviewer role model for any user on here too.

Yeah, I agree with you Yoink, he would make a great review mod. I'm sure he has been offered the position before though, I don't think he wants it (thats the only reason I can see why he isn't one already, I mean, he is like the captain of reviews).

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:44:29

At 3/3/05 10:34 PM, -idle- wrote: Yeah, I agree with you Yoink, he would make a great review mod. I'm sure he has been offered the position before though, I don't think he wants it (thats the only reason I can see why he isn't one already, I mean, he is like the captain of reviews).

I wouldnt turn it down, and i have never been asked to be any kinda mod, im sure they have others on mind, thanks for the nice comments though...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 23:31:05

At 3/3/05 10:09 PM, TVs_Slayer wrote: stuff about the ads.

Last I knew the site doesn't control all the ads you see in the banenr. They had a company that did that for them. Plus ads mean money for the site.
A good way to get rid of that is get foxfire with ADblock extention.
Then you can block the really anoying banenr ads.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 23:47:16

At 3/3/05 11:31 PM, ramagi wrote:
At 3/3/05 10:09 PM, TVs_Slayer wrote: stuff about the ads.
Last I knew the site doesn't control all the ads you see in the banenr. They had a company that did that for them. Plus ads mean money for the site.
A good way to get rid of that is get foxfire with ADblock extention.
Then you can block the really anoying banenr ads.

Yeah, I figured i was barking up the wrong tree, i just needed someone to whack me in the head and tell me for sure. Don't got a problem with the banners in general, just that one. Tried foxfire, but I had to reformat my harddrive a couple months ago, and I haven't reinstalled it. Well, anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 23:49:32

#4 Update the look of our profiles

Yeah, The profiles have been the same since I joined NG (2002) and it's pretty much gotten old.
Would be better to see new updated to that.
Besides that NG is just fine and dandy with me/

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 23:56:26

At 3/3/05 07:21 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: The experience and B/P system for VP is fine the way it is.

hardly.

the experience system is alright, but the B/P system has frankly ruined the portal. Hardly anybody votes fairly on a flash anymore, they just whore points.

If Apple Jacks aren't going to taste like real apples, then they can get a regular job like everybody else.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 00:08:23

At 3/3/05 11:56 PM, Miikro wrote: the experience system is alright, but the B/P system has frankly ruined the portal. Hardly anybody votes fairly on a flash anymore, they just whore points.

Not everyone does, and actually... it leads to more people watching the flash. Before the B/P system... some flash would leave the top 50 with less than 100 views and definately less than 100 votes. (In some cases less than 25... which was the minimum threshold.)

Flash #50 on the list right now has 335 votes and 1,004 views. The same basic ratio of flash is still getting blammed than before the B/P system, it's just being decided much much quicker. (Actually... there may be more saved than there were back then. Not sure.)

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 00:25:59

At 3/4/05 12:08 AM, TheJoe324 wrote: Flash #50 on the list right now has 335 votes and 1,004 views. The same basic ratio of flash is still getting blammed than before the B/P system, it's just being decided much much quicker. (Actually... there may be more saved than there were back then. Not sure.)

yea, expectations of flash just keeps increasing as time goes on. Sure there were much more saves back at that point in time... even further back in time everything was saved on newgrounds. But it's a good thing there's a review feature, with the review feature it shows that people are actually viewing the work and judging what's good and bad and also adding comments about improvements. A great amount of improvements is really what's increasing expectations.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 00:32:07

Once again:

Get rid of vagrants.

They are so annoying. >.<

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 04:09:59

At 3/4/05 12:08 AM, TheJoe324 wrote: Not everyone does, and actually... it leads to more people watching the flash. Before the B/P system... some flash would leave the top 50 with less than 100 views and definately less than 100 votes. (In some cases less than 25... which was the minimum threshold.)

i remember when the blam points were first introduced. everyone was looking everywhere for any movie with less then 100 votes and a blammable score. one of my movies got blammed months after i submitted it just because it had a low score at the time.
this was when you could see the score if it was under 100 votes even on the list.php
liljim had to make it so you couldnt see the score. then so that you couldnt see the reviews then so that you couldnt vote untill the flash was loaded.
not everyone whores points but ALOT of people do. remember not too long ago wade threatened everyone to watch the whole movie before voting? this is because there were so many people voting trying to get points and if you waited too long, the movie would be blammed or saved already.
I like the extra points and i like that it gets people voting on movies. I especially like the incentive it brings with voting power and the ranks. but like anything it has been exploited perhaps a little too much.
saying that it hasnt been exploited and whored is an ignorant thing to say.

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 04:31:18

a suggestion to liljim about the BBS.

perhaps you could make something so that you cant double quote inside a post?

like i mean when you quote someone who quoted someone else? there is always a couple lines that you dont need and I always take them out anyways.

i am sure that if it is possible you could figure it out.

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 08:37:39

I like both on Zendras previous idea and second them.
If we're on the topic of reveiw ideas; how bout it tells you, you are still banned from reveiwing, cos writing a reveiw only to find I am banned, is fucking annoying...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 08:51:53

Jim, are we going to get an extra figure on the voting power or not? I'd like to see my voting power rise like it used to :(

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 08:59:12

At 3/4/05 08:51 AM, Professor_Rhythm wrote: Jim, are we going to get an extra figure on the voting power or not? I'd like to see my voting power rise like it used to :(

You mean like an extra digit for the Voting Power??? that would be awesome.

At 3/3/05 11:49 PM, KillerDreaming wrote: #4 Update the look of our profiles

Yeah, The profiles have been the same since I joined NG (2002) and it's pretty much gotten old.
Would be better to see new updated to that.
Besides that NG is just fine and dandy with me/

Yea... it would be great to see profiles updated... I'm still excited about when that will happen.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 10:16:20

At 3/4/05 08:59 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: You mean like an extra digit for the Voting Power??? that would be awesome.

Yeah that's what I'm after, that would mean I can actually see a change.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 10:36:40

One suggestion i have is to give the user the choice to rank search results in order of score, descending or ascending, so you can get to the good results alot easier without having to scroll through tons of pages!
Anyone support this idea?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 11:10:56

At 3/4/05 10:36 AM, Scoll wrote: One suggestion i have is to give the user the choice to rank search results in order of score, descending or ascending, so you can get to the good results alot easier without having to scroll through tons of pages!

They are sort of ranked, the latter pages are older posts and the recent pages are the newer posts.

So, newer pages = new information.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 11:18:17

I would still like to have search results available in order of rank, also and updat of the profiles page, and the secrets page in the grounds gold menu, more secrets would be better, perhaps a new secret for every other level?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-04 14:07:32

At 3/4/05 11:18 AM, Scoll wrote: I would still like to have search results available in order of rank

Well, If you search for something specifically, there wouldn't be a need for a rank; all the information would be there. I'd imagine so.

also and updat of the profiles page, and the secrets page in the grounds gold menu

Been discussed, look over previous pages.

more secrets would be better, perhaps a new secret for every other level?

I would agree more secrets would be nice, but for every other level? That's something for the admins to decide, I suppose.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 07:53:45

I myself would love to see those updated profiles and secrets, 3 is not enough.

Small, kinda crappy idea here, you know how on some flash you right click and you a menu like zoom in, out, play foward etc, and others have it so that you don't get anything but the about thing? What about if you had the ability to tick a box that says: "Hide menu?" On the submission forms? Its entirely possible in HTML to hide the thing without doing that in the flash, just by adding this small thing.

<PARAM NAME=menu VALUE=true/false>

It could be really useful for those beginning in flash game making who don't want people to cheat, or to stop people from finding the easter eggs the wrong way.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 14:11:18

Sorry if any of this has been mentioned before, but whatever:

If you're the threads STARTER, the 4 posts per half an hour doesnt apply to you, and you could lock your own topic.

This would be especially helpfull in all of the "Ill make you a wahatever" or "Ill rate you" threads. The rater, or sig maker, or whatever the fuck he is doing, could keep posting without using alts or saying "omg sorry, 4 post per hour rule". Also, if they could lock their topic, when they are done, or just tired of the making them, and people keep asking, LOCK. The end.

The lock thing could also work in all of the threads asking some question. Like:

Whats the website for something?

blahblahblah answer

oh, ok. Thanks. LOCK (since there isnt much use for the topic now)

Anyone else think these are good ideas? :D

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 14:17:25

At 3/4/05 07:56 AM, Zendra wrote:
When you try to submit a review for a movie/game you've already reviewed, you get a message you've already submitted a review. Wich is pretty clear. But some people forget that they've reviewed it.

Particularly if you've reviewed thousands of submissions... 99% of NG can just flick through their reviews, yes. I for one can't remember if I reviewed some obscure 2002 flash or not.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 14:21:36

At 3/5/05 02:11 PM, BazookaNinja wrote: This would be especially helpfull in all of the "Ill make you a wahatever" or "Ill rate you" threads. The rater, or sig maker, or whatever the fuck he is doing, could keep posting without using alts or saying "omg sorry, 4 post per hour rule". Also, if they could lock their topic, when they are done, or just tired of the making them, and people keep asking, LOCK. The end.

People should learn how to post with multiple quotes.

Person #1

Rating

Person #2

Rating

Person #3

Rating

And so on. They could rate about 10-20 people in 1 post if they wanted to, and then they'd still have 2 posts in that amount of time.

And with sig making topics, they should find a free hosted site somewhere (If they don't have a site of their own already) and upload all of the pics there.

Instead of 20 posts with one picture attached, they could just have 1 post with

http://www.site.com/theirsite/sigs/sig1.gif
http://www.site.com/theirsite/sigs/sig2.gif
http://www.site.com/theirsite/sigs/sig3.gif...

All you need to do is manage the total amount of posts you can make correctly and you'll be fine.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 14:33:57

True. The lock idea is good though... right?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 14:34:51

The only ideas I have for Newgrounds' Evolution at the moment are the following :

- More levels [Maybe 50 ?].
- More "view gems" [Maybe 10 or 15?].
- More awards [Daily 7th ? Daily 10th ?].
- More "blams and saves" levels [ 10 more ?].
- More "whistle levels" [diamond, adamantite, runite, coal ...].

That's about it. I know they aren't all useful features, that they wouldn't be easy to implement, that it's not a easy job, but it would just bring so much to the website, and people will wonder more about things, they will start hanging around here MORE and will look more at the movies, vote more, and be more interested in flash.
I think it could be very positive for NewGrounds.

I play lottery. I always lose.

LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 20:16:37

At 3/5/05 02:33 PM, BazookaNinja wrote: True. The lock idea is good though... right?

Someone could make a spam topic, and lock it, plenty of abuse right there.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 21:45:39

At 3/5/05 08:16 PM, Miles11 wrote:
At 3/5/05 02:33 PM, BazookaNinja wrote: True. The lock idea is good though... right?
Someone could make a spam topic, and lock it, plenty of abuse right there.

I dont see the abuse... he would be helping the mods actually, and he would get banned. Isnt the result the same?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-05 23:47:25

At 3/5/05 11:36 PM, BareNakedMike- wrote: I thought of a new secret. I know there used to be a search used for finding users but it was taken away. Why not bring it back but as a secret for higher level users?. Some other secrets I sugested were making the Alias changing a secret too. And being able to look up your ban history as a 3rd new secret.

Those sound good.

/vote yes for the idea

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-07 18:01:10

At 3/5/05 02:11 PM, BazookaNinja wrote: If you're the threads STARTER, the 4 posts per half an hour doesnt apply to you, and you could lock your own topic.

if the post creator was able to lock his own thread whenever he wanted he would end up being abused in this way, the post creator starts a thread red is better then blue. after a few posts of people arguing there colours he could just go, red is better then blue LOCK. but this could be a good idea say if someone hasnt posted in the topic for 10 mins or something so that the discusion has died down, then he can lock it.

okay now for my suggestions:
some way to report abusive authors responses to reviews. ive seen alot of well writen constructive critisim followed by the author just going fuck you fuck you fuck you over and over again or spaming 3 pages of random letters. another feature that looks like the forums were made for is reporting abusive forum posts, as i demonstrate in this picture(well it seems im having trouble uploading but imagine a report abuse button between the time and the other buttons)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-07 19:02:08

okay i rescaled my image and blured it+croped it but now i can upload it for no reason
anyways another idea i had is put the whistle level requirments in the faq, maybe even add how far you are from the next level in your grounds gold page or your correct flagging/incorect flaging in your profile page

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution