00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Robert0241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,472 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 03:57:15

At 3/20/05 10:35 PM, ramagi wrote: Since I know Denvish is away right now.

I have though of replying, but then not. I mean, what is the use saying something, then saying another thing and not covering the subject? I know it's somewhat of a debate, maybe classified as a mild flame war, but at times I feel as if I have to say what I have to say or I'll fucking snap. Just like with locked topics. I fucking hate that when I have the right answers and 'said topic' gets locked by some fool who thinks 'said person' is right, but in reality is dead fucking wrong. And yes I know this is the internet, but it's just like getting a door slammed in your face, and it sucks something serious. So I may or maynot reply to some of these posts, yet again I may.

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]

XBL / PSN - Voidist

Malice is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 14:52:19

Just a small one:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/rip.php?id=226405

If you pan down there a little bit, you'll see someone going BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM. Would it be possible to have that review filtered out seeing how he's banned, the same way it would be on a protected entry? No biggie, seeing how not many people view the obituaries (I guess)...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 16:55:37

At 3/21/05 02:52 PM, jonthomson wrote: Would it be possible to have that review filtered out seeing how he's banned, the same way it would be on a protected entry?

Even if 'said person' is review banned, and you can't view their reviews from their profile, you can still view their reviews in the flash movies that they have reveiwed.

XBL / PSN - Voidist

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 18:06:17

At 3/21/05 04:55 PM, Master_Inuyasha wrote: Even if 'said person' is review banned, and you can't view their reviews from their profile, you can still view their reviews in the flash movies that they have reveiwed.

Err, no - you can't.

Jon - not sure how necessary that would be. Something to think about, though...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 18:19:07

At 3/19/05 10:48 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: How about when you start a topic, NG automatically searches for similar topics (based on what you put in the title box) that way, people who don't search are forced to. And if you decide to post the topic anyway a box will pop up and say "Are you sure your topic isn't covered in the ones we searched for you?" if they click yes it becomes a topic. And if the mods decide they didn't look at the automated search results they can give them a much bigger ban.

Well, seeing as my suggestion was buried under the other conversation, I'd like to bring it up again. If it's bad, just say it in a nice way. The only reason I brought it up again was because nobody said if it was an okay idea or a bad one.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 18:25:49

At 3/21/05 06:06 PM, liljim wrote: Err, no - you can't.

I guess it's been fixed, but when I was banned for the first time, I could still view one of my reviews from a flash movie that I reviewed on. :/

XBL / PSN - Voidist

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 19:41:06

At 3/21/05 07:27 PM, BonusStage wrote: I know what he's talking about that for instance shows an abusive review, unless another is written for it and it doesn't become the newest one anymore right here it'll be shown :(, it's been that way forever

Ah, I see. I actually thought I'd already fixed that specific problem... I'll address that tomorrow.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 19:43:14

At 3/21/05 06:19 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Repetition.

You dont' need to keep bumping your own posts in the thread. Anyone who has any genuine interest in the ideas here will read the thread from start to finish - and just because no-one's mentioned the idea, doesn't mean it's not a good one.

I'm not sure whether this specific idea is worth implementing - I had a play around with the idea a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still not sure how well it would work out.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 20:04:55

I still say more secrets are needed, maybe special privledges for high exp/blam ranks? and also the choice to rank search results by their score!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 20:27:53

At 3/21/05 07:43 PM, liljim wrote:

You dont' need to keep bumping your own posts in the thread. Anyone who has any genuine interest in the ideas here will read the thread from start to finish - and just because no-one's mentioned the idea, doesn't mean it's not a good one.

I'm not sure whether this specific idea is worth implementing - I had a play around with the idea a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still not sure how well it would work out.

Forgive me for my insolence wise jedi.
I will learn from your wise ways.
All I ask is that you not behead your loyal servant so he can praise your name another day.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 20:37:36

At 3/21/05 08:27 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Forgive me for my insolence

Haha - don't be daft.

This idea you had has actually been brought up a few times in the past by other people. I just worry that if it were implemented, we'd have to give the user the opportunity to click "Yes, post it in that old thread", or "No, create a new one" and they'd just always default to posting a new thread - which defeats the point in having that option there in the first place. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-21 20:49:18

At 3/21/05 08:37 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/21/05 08:27 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Forgive me for my insolence
Haha - don't be daft.

Perish the thought!

This idea you had has actually been brought up a few times in the past by other people. I just worry that if it were implemented, we'd have to give the user the opportunity to click "Yes, post it in that old thread", or "No, create a new one" and they'd just always default to posting a new thread - which defeats the point in having that option there in the first place. :)

If it isn't too much trouble, why don't you implement all the ideas you're unsure of for a week or so. We'll closely moniter the BBS and see if the changes affect it for the greater good.
Although, this seems like a lot to be requesting of you, and for that I apologize.

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 02:54:08

At 3/21/05 07:27 PM, BonusStage wrote: Stuff.

Huzza! I'm not crazy after all. And yeah, that's how I've seen it too.

XBL / PSN - Voidist

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 03:32:00

Can we please have those ParagonX9 songs on the Audio Portal main page be set to off by default?

When I'm surfing the audio portal, generally I'm listening to songs from the AP as well. So everything I go back to the main page an X9 song gets cluttered up in the other song I'm playing and I have to click that damn picture to get it to shut up.

Basically, it's really annoying. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks so :/ So could we do that please?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 07:16:37

I think that it would be a good idea to colour or put in to tables the flash movie links according to what genre of animation it is. That way users would be able to choose to watch funny stuff, action, thought provoking etc. Also, there will be less people giving uneccessarily low scores for a type of film that they have seen but are not really into, and artists will receive more contructive criticism from the 'market' of users that they have aimed their animations at.

Spintolk suggested that a table like this would be a good idea and would improve the portal.

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 07:54:15

At 3/22/05 07:16 AM, FDAmaster wrote: I think that it would be a good idea to colour or put in to tables the flash movie links according to what genre of animation it is. That way users would be able to choose to watch funny stuff, action, thought provoking etc. Also, there will be less people giving uneccessarily low scores for a type of film that they have seen but are not really into, and artists will receive more contructive criticism from the 'market' of users that they have aimed their animations at.

Spintolk suggested that a table like this would be a good idea and would improve the portal.

That idea is actually pretty good. You think of that yourself? :) The NG staff should look into this idea and try it out.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 07:56:29

At 3/22/05 07:54 AM, LinkinDude14 wrote:
That idea is actually pretty good. You think of that yourself? :) The NG staff should look into this idea and try it out.

They could just expand this page with new categories not based on review scores if they wanted to do that. But that's an alternative, the idea's pretty good.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 10:27:15

Come to think, has Newgrounds got a Michael Jackson collection? There must be some classics out there...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-22 13:38:46

I think FDAmasters idead is a damn good one! Can imagine alot of coding would need to be implemented onto the site to get that working though...
And again... MORE SECRETS!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 03:05:39

I have another idea, this time dealing with reviews.

New users often have trouble knowing exactly what it means to vote. They often think that reviewing counts as voting, only to find that you can't deposit your experience simply by reviewing a submission. So I say this. Let's make it blatantly obvious to new users, by showing them precisely what they need to do in order to get their experience recorded. Here's my idea of what it could look like.

Also, when it says "You will need to vote with these", that red text should be a link to the Voting section of the Portal FAQ.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 04:57:43

At 3/22/05 07:54 AM, LinkinDude14 wrote:
At 3/22/05 07:16 AM, FDAmaster wrote: I think that it would be a good idea to colour or put in to tables the flash movie links according to what genre of animation it is. That way users would be able to choose to watch funny stuff, action, thought provoking etc. Also, there will be less people giving uneccessarily low scores for a type of film that they have seen but are not really into, and artists will receive more contructive criticism from the 'market' of users that they have aimed their animations at.

In a way it sounds good, but I could see a backlash against it. One of the great things about the portal is that you could find just about anything as a new submission, and catagorizing it would lead to you already knowing what you are about to see. At least thats what I like about watching a movie still in judgement. It could be anything, and oftentimes I am plesantly surprized. Thats just what I see could happen. I don't know how many people would agree with this though. Possibly after judgement the catagory would be placed on the submission, but thats just some brief thinking. It does sound like a nice idea, but I'd just hate to see it break the randomness of the portal for me.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 05:21:39

At 3/22/05 07:16 AM, FDAmaster wrote:
I think that it would be a good idea to colour or put in to tables the flash movie links according to what genre of animation it is. That way users would be able to choose to watch funny stuff, action, thought provoking etc. Also, there will be less people giving uneccessarily low scores for a type of film that they have seen but are not really into, and artists will receive more contructive criticism from the 'market' of users that they have aimed their animations at.

At 3/24/05 04:57 AM, TVs_Slayer wrote: In a way it sounds good, but I could see a backlash against it. One of the great things about the portal is that you could find just about anything as a new submission, and catagorizing it would lead to you already knowing what you are about to see. At least thats what I like about watching a movie still in judgement. It could be anything, and oftentimes I am plesantly surprized. Thats just what I see could happen. I don't know how many people would agree with this though. Possibly after judgement the catagory would be placed on the submission, but thats just some brief thinking. It does sound like a nice idea, but I'd just hate to see it break the randomness of the portal for me.

Well perhaps, but don't forget the "Jump to random portal entry". In fact it could even be that the movies under judgement are categorised by the users as they vote. That would be nice.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 11:47:29

Being able to Ctrl+Z inside the writing box of the NG BBS.
I think it might be very useful, yet i think i remmember having it, so it might have been taken out...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 13:15:36

What was it used for? When I use it, it seems to clear the message box...

Help, I'm trapped inside this guy's signature!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 13:18:19

Ctrl-Z is undo. That's completely contained in your browser, and it has nothing to do with Newgrounds.

Ctrl-Y is redo, by the way.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 14:20:44

Here is an idea. I am always really looking forward to how many more b/p points I have left to get to my next rank. I get tired of adding them up and having to memorize the rank I am getting to next. Therefore perhaps in your profile or the grounds gold menu there should be a total number of points you have until the next rank. To further this option. Would it be possible without killing NG to show your b/p per day or week. Sometimes I would like to see my pace. I was never on the EGRL for my pace so I never got to konw what it was, but I would've liked to see it every so often to see how amny I am egtting a week so I can calculate how many more days it will be til I reach my next rank. These may take too much to do but I thought I would mention it while it was fresh in my mind!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-24 15:44:39

At 3/24/05 01:18 PM, pieoncar wrote: Ctrl-Z is undo. That's completely contained in your browser, and it has nothing to do with Newgrounds.

Ctrl-Y is redo, by the way.

Well thats what i thought, untill i tried it on the notepad, then here, and it didn't work (also tried it JUST now :P)...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-25 09:51:28

13 pages of long requests are long to read, ven on vacation, so I'll cross my fingers and hope no-one had said this before...

Report button.
This is something I've seen on many forums. You click it if the post is malicious, and a mod will be informed. It maybe or maybe not will help the mods, but generally, I think it might be good...
When I started thinking about this on NG yesterday, I immediately realised it would be abused, but came up with a solution, you need atleast, say, silver whistle and some amount of posts. and if you abuse it, you'lll be stripped of the privilage.

I hope you take it into consideration.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-25 10:08:13

At 3/25/05 09:51 AM, JohnnyWang wrote:
Report button.
This is something I've seen on many forums. You click it if the post is malicious, and a mod will be informed. It maybe or maybe not will help the mods, but generally, I think it might be good...

Suggested back on page 1.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-25 12:37:05

your absoluty right every1 should assist and give their ideas