00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tdpreston just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,469 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-25 00:55:13

At 2/24/05 11:57 PM, Master_Inuyasha wrote:
At 2/24/05 11:15 PM, GiantYellowSock wrote: Your thoughts?
Eh, not too bad. It sucks that HT52 is the only one with those nude pics of Tom though. :/ But more secrets would be awsome.

There are no nudes of Tom. Each time a user gets closer and closer to that target of experience points... Tom then raises the required experience points for that. He does it because he believes it motivates the users to continue to deposit. But anyway... Cash for Voting Regular users too? what is this newgrounds community coming too? How come Tom isn't keeping all of his profits from the sales of his game? I bought Alien hominid by the way... i've only played it 3 times. The game would be better if it were 3D I think.... But that's just my opinion.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-25 15:50:26

At 2/25/05 12:55 AM, YoinK_VineS wrote: Cash for Voting Regular users too?

How about creating a Depositer of the Day award, like UOTD? Just pick out a random person who deposited in the last 24 hours. You could post the user and profile link on P-Bot's posts, and award 20 bonus exp points or some other little prize. It'd help encourage depositing, and it'd be free, too.

Or rearrange the chat to follow the same topics as the BBS (General, Flash, Politics, WIHT, etc..) Might encourage more people to use the chat.

So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we had the key...

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-26 14:16:47

At 2/25/05 03:50 PM, IllustriousPotentate wrote: How about creating a Depositer of the Day award, like UOTD? Just pick out a random person who deposited in the last 24 hours. You could post the user and profile link on P-Bot's posts, and award 20 bonus exp points or some other little prize. It'd help encourage depositing, and it'd be free, too.

That's redundent. I think 100 bucks is enough to encourage people to deposit.

Or rearrange the chat to follow the same topics as the BBS (General, Flash, Politics, WIHT, etc..) Might encourage more people to use the chat.

There are only about 8 people in chat at any given time. We don't need to split them further.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 08:41:14

At 2/25/05 12:21 AM, pieoncar wrote: On the topic of long posts, I made a little text counting page in Javascript for someone a while ago.

I actually wrote something similar for one of the pages in NG Maga while back, too. I should just put the same sort of thing into the bbs posts page.

Screenshot of said NG Mag page attached.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 08:54:15

I was fiddling around with a Post Previewer VB app a couple of weeks ago, but it's on hold because a) I ran into problems with auto-linking URLs and b) I don't think many people would use it simply for the fact that it's another window to have open. I fire it up occasionally to check LONG posts for spelling etc. It works by creating a html file on the fly, and previewing that within the program.
While playing with it, I set the formatting stuff (bold, italics, etc) to apply to the SELECTED text (ie, put the appropriate tags at both ends of it). I don't know if that's possible to do on NG, with the way the post page is coded, but it saves some time (once you get used to it)

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 10:32:44

Oh. I didnt even notice this.

Cool topic :D

Let me share an idea then now after the counter thingy's over with: Maybe along with a "Favorite Flashes" and "Favorite Artist" lists, you can have "Favorite series", and when authors submit more than one flash to the portal, they can link them together and it will be able to be selectable under "Other flashes by this author" by "Other series by this author", and you could also mark down a certain series on your favorites. It might clean a lot of things up (sorry of this has been mentioned before)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 10:38:51

Let me share an idea then now after the counter thingy's over with: Maybe along with a "Favorite Flashes" and "Favorite Artist" lists, you can have "Favorite series", and when authors submit more than one flash to the portal, they can link them together and it will be able to be selectable under "Other flashes by this author" by "Other series by this author", and you could also mark down a certain series on your favorites. It might clean a lot of things up (sorry of this has been mentioned before)

For example; LegendaryFrog submits "The Adventures of hoohahblahdee" and it's a best seller. It blows the rest of the flashes out of the water, and he wants to make a sequel to it, so that hoohahblahdee has an extended plot. He submits "TAOH 2", and then goes into his list of submissions and links TAOH to TAOH 2, and a box would show up, showing "Other Series by this author: -none-" (until he links more) and there would be an extra button with "Favorite Submission", and you would mark down a series and a favorite episode from it, so when someone goes into your profile to see it, it would bring it to the favorite episode.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 10:40:24

"Favorite Submission"

*Favorite series

My mind took a joy ride

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 11:25:07

Have it so that when you've highlighted some text in the post box, and click the bold (or whatever) button, it puts tags around that instead of asking you to enter some text.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 12:21:10

Ugh.

Does this happen to anyone else? When you press enter it leave a blue cursor mark.

It's not a big deal, but it's slightly annoying.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 12:47:57

At 2/27/05 11:25 AM, LazyFuckingBastard wrote: Have it so that when you've highlighted some text in the post box, and click the bold (or whatever) button, it puts tags around that instead of asking you to enter some text.

Isn't that what Denvish said about two or three posts up?

The problem with this is that I haven't (yet) found a reliable way of doing that stuff in Firefox.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 12:48:27

At 2/27/05 12:21 PM, lolwut wrote: Ugh.

Does this happen to anyone else? When you press enter it leave a blue cursor mark.

Sounds like your shift key could be sticking.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 12:57:23

Is there any chance of getting the input box extended horizontally, James? Or would it fuck up tables and stuff?

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 13:00:49

At 2/27/05 12:57 PM, Denvish wrote: Is there any chance of getting the input box extended horizontally, James? Or would it fuck up tables and stuff?

Tom and I have already talked about that. I need to talk to Stamper about the resizing the background image (Firebird users won't notice this as much as IE users (of which there are more, before anyone starts being a prick about people still using IE)).

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 14:31:34

OOH! IDEA!

Maybe a little box that says how big your file is before you send it.
like so:

I used to be relevant.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 14:52:18

At 2/27/05 02:31 PM, scottmale24 wrote: OOH! IDEA!

like so:

Also maybe the dimensions in there

For a non BBS idea,
I think people co-authored to films should be able to respond to reviews,

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 16:44:25

At 2/24/05 10:33 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: Or that could just be in the rules, since you should search before creating ANY new topic.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/forum.php?id=2

Peopel still would listen to them, but I do agree I would like What Ozcar and Dobio eitehr sticked or copied and psoted by G bot.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 17:04:07

At 2/27/05 12:47 PM, liljim wrote: The problem with this is that I haven't (yet) found a reliable way of doing that stuff in Firefox.

James, if you can take care of the IE half, I've got the Firefox part working fine: http://pieoncar.com/hilite.html . But you'll have to rearrange the code a little bit, and integrate it with what you already have... I'm not going to do the work that you presumably get paid for :P

I just modified what I'm working on for a site of mine... I was inserting text at a point, not tags around anything, but this one is working fine now with inserting tags around the highlighted area.

At 2/27/05 12:48 PM, liljim wrote:
At 2/27/05 12:21 PM, lolwut wrote: Ugh.

Sounds like your shift key could be sticking.

This is just a rendering error in Firefox, it happens all the time here. I don't notice it anywhere else (but I don't type in nearly as many forms anywhere else), so it might have something to do with the background image, but who can say.

At 2/27/05 02:31 PM, scottmale24 wrote: OOH! IDEA!

like so:

Javascript shouldn't be able to access files on a users' computer at all; otherwise, I could hypothetically make a page that scanned a user's hard drive for something, stored passwords in specific files maybe, and then use a form to send the information to my server.

On Windows XP, when you're selecting which file to upload, you should be able to click it once and hover your mouse over it, then it will tell you the dimensions and filesize.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 17:12:18

At 2/27/05 05:04 PM, pieoncar wrote: James, if you can take care of the IE half, I've got the Firefox part working fine: http://pieoncar.com/hilite.html . But you'll have to rearrange the code a little bit, and integrate it with what you already have... I'm not going to do the work that you presumably get paid for :P

Nice, I think that way of formatting is so much smoother. Maybe Tom could pay you a one-off fee to slip your code in James' pocket ;)

At 2/27/05 12:21 PM, lolwut wrote: Does this happen to anyone else? When you press enter it leave a blue cursor mark.
This is just a rendering error in Firefox, it happens all the time here. I don't notice it anywhere else (but I don't type in nearly as many forms anywhere else), so it might have something to do with the background image, but who can say.

I have to admit, I am suffering from this problem (on Firefox) too, but only since the char count was implemented. It doesn't really bother me, but it might other people

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 17:16:01

At 2/27/05 05:04 PM, pieoncar wrote:
At 2/27/05 12:47 PM, liljim wrote: The problem with this is that I haven't (yet) found a reliable way of doing that stuff in Firefox.
James, if you can take care of the IE half, I've got the Firefox part working fine: http://pieoncar.com/hilite.html

Nice! :)

I actually already put together a working version soon after my last message in this thread... The trouble I'm now facing is with Opera.... Though, at the moment, I'm tempted to think, "Fuck Opera" and move on.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 17:21:47

At 2/27/05 12:47 PM, liljim wrote:
Though, at the moment, I'm tempted to think, "Fuck Opera" and move on.

Heh, can't say I blame you. The new wider Post input box is a joy to behold, I (and I'm sure many others) really appreciate the change.
Nice job James

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 17:27:59

At 2/27/05 05:21 PM, Denvish wrote:
Heh, can't say I blame you. The new wider Post input box is a joy to behold, I (and I'm sure many others) really appreciate the change.
Nice job James

Yeag its nice and beutyfull, iThis has been a great day for the forums

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 17:29:10

At 2/27/05 05:21 PM, Denvish wrote:
Nice job James

Yes, I certainly do. God knows I could've done with this back when I ran the Muffin Clan... but still, all these efforts to make our experience on NGBBS better are much appreciated. ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 21:32:08

I think we should be able to but newgrounds shirts with our user names on it, so if we see a fellow newgrounder someday we can tell who he or she is. To prevent people by shirts with popular usernames on it, you have to put your user name and password in while filling out info about state and address. What do you guys think of my idea?

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-27 21:58:46

At 2/27/05 09:32 PM, boloneyman wrote: I think we should be able to but newgrounds shirts with our user names on it, so if we see a fellow newgrounder someday we can tell who he or she is. To prevent people by shirts with popular usernames on it, you have to put your user name and password in while filling out info about state and address. What do you guys think of my idea?

Uh... no thanks. If you really wanted to advertise your username on Newgrounds you could just go to a sporting goods store and order your own letter shirt and screen the Newgrounds logo on it.

Oh yeah, the characters remaining box is cool! Not that I'd ever have enough to say in one post to max the character limit out, its still a cool addition to stat addicted users. And the wider post screen is appreciated as well. So now just have to wait for that profile update...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-28 11:32:14

At 2/27/05 09:32 PM, boloneyman wrote: I think we should be able to but newgrounds shirts with our user names on it, so if we see a fellow newgrounder someday we can tell who he or she is. To prevent people by shirts with popular usernames on it, you have to put your user name and password in while filling out info about state and address. What do you guys think of my idea?

Wouldn't be enough demand to make it worthwile. I mean, in real life I know two people who go to newgrounds, and they are friends outside of Newgrounds. I dont need to go around proclaiming how retarded I am by saying "Hey, look at me! I go to Newgrounds! This is my account! Aren't I cool?".

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-28 18:23:51

I've got a great idea for Newgrounds that I think will help bring a whole new audience to the site. Now bear with me... I'm know that Newgrounds is mainly known for it's Flash movies and games and such, but what if I said I would like to put the Audio Portal 'out there'. You're probably think "How the hell are you going to do this, Intenseman?". I'll tell you:

"Well I know that there are about 10,000+ people on this site that are big Flash fans. But do you know how many people are music fans and want a great place to listen to great music? Newgrounds! What I want to see happen at Newgrounds that will bring more people here is to send a copy of a "Newgrounds Audio Greatest Hits" to everyone who orders one. It's just like the concept of Newgrounds stickers! And each and every year there will be a new copy (i.e. Greatest Hits, Greatest Hits II ... etc). I'm thinking it's a great idea and will most likely help NG!"

So what do you think? I'm thinking it's a great idea and I want to know how you feel about this and if you like it, or even if you hate it! Any helpful comments would be greatfully appreciated.Please put this idea into consideration, you never know if this may work. Thank you :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-02-28 18:33:02

At 2/28/05 06:18 PM, Deathsaw wrote: How about a little text under your sig that says if your banned or not?

Already been discussed. Read through the thread, and particularly the first post, before you post in here again... thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-01 22:39:36

I know, I know, lay off the BBS ideas...

But what I've been doing when I'm making links is to do href="/bbs/..." rather than href="www.newgrounds.com/bbs/..." or href="newgrounds.com/bbs..." because it's annoying to me when I click on a topic and it's on the other one of what I'm using, then I have to log in again to reply, then if I don't go back to where I was, the visited links are all wrong.

James, would it be possible to slightly modify that script to "unlink" outwar, etc. links such that links to Newgrounds were made relative instead of absolute?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-01 22:59:52

Get Rid Of Vagrants.

...if someone was a vagrant before the implementation, then have all their links (AIM, e-mail, Website) hidden.