00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,595 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-26 18:55:27

At 4/26/05 12:15 AM, _IAMCanadian_ wrote:
At 4/25/05 11:58 PM, ddrmasterman wrote: I think one of the largest problems for us portal addicts is all of the mass voting going on.
I'm sorry, what mass voting is this?

I'm not gonna answer this one yet.

If your not sure what that is, this ...what a disgrace... passed just a few minutes before I passed it.
That's becuase people are point whores. They see that the author has a lot of flash already in the portal and vote high without watching it. No mass voting there.

ok, then we need to fix that! Shouldn't be a huge hassle

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the clock crew? Yeah, well their 90% of the problem at least.
The original Clock Crew is dead. There are pretty much nothing but poser-clocks left.

ok, then we can get rid of them (see idea #2)

I have two ways of fixing this
1. Have 1+ staff members with High authority browsing the portal 24/7. That way when something like that comes along, they can delete it.
It would be too much hassle to have at least 1 person on 24/7, and it would lead to abuse of the system. If the user doesn't like some movies, even if they are good, they could just delete whatever they want.

I think Tom is smart enough to find somebody that wouldn't abuse the privlage, we aren't all kids.

2. If we don't have the man power for something like that, we could make a temporary solution by leting the server handle it by banning and prohibiting the use of the word clock in usernames. It's a little drastic, but it would fix the problem until we can figure out something else to do.
I'm sorry, but this is just plain stupid. Like I already mentioned, there are almost no real clocks left on Newgrounds. All there is are posers and they are a vast minority among users. This is also not going to do anything, people can change their name.

I know people can change their name, but my theory is that they might get discouraged from all of their 'hard work' and then gettting banned, and then just give up. ...new idea... perhaps we could have at least one person on 24/7 (like solution #1) but instead of deleting the flash they can suspend the person who submitted the flash according to how many times they have submitted junk to newgrounds (1 day for first offense, 5 for second, etc.)

Please let me know what you all think.
Personally, I don't think that there is any mass voting whatsoever going on. My theory is that people hear rumors of certain groups doing it, and when those groups submit flash, they vote high because they think that it will pass for sure due to the "mass voting". I think that enough people do this that it ends up getting a high score and passing. So, I guess in a way it is mass voting, just that the people who do it are unaware that they are the actual perpetrators.

If this is true then we need to get the word out and tell people to stop. A post on the front page or a pop-up on the portal page (only for 1 or 2 days, we don't need to read it every time we logon) should fix it. Thanks for the critism, but I still stand firmly behind my ideas.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-04-26 19:34:23

At 4/25/05 11:46 AM, Rooty-the-Pie wrote: This is just a small idea, but I reckon it could be of some use: how about, at the bottom of a thread, having "Users currently browsing this thread:" and then a list of the users. It'd be nice to know who's browsing and lurking in a certain thread.

I don't like it. I enjoy a degree of anonymity when browsing the forums. I don't mind people knowing that I'm in General or whatever, but I like the idea of being able to read a thread, not post in it, and not have anybody know that you were ever there. Not only that, but I think the load with that would be a little ridiculous, as the thousands and thousands of threads on Newgrounds would be a little much to keep up to date with a list of users browsing each specific thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-01 15:36:13

Here's a small suggestion pertaining to experience points:

Animators should be able to earn experience points through their submissions. If they have a batting average (IE, 3 or more entries within the Portal), a system might stack up like this:

< 1.00 : 0 exp per day (or -1)
> 1.00 < 2.00 : .5 exp per day
> 2.00 < 3.00 : 1 exp per day
> 3.00 < 4.00 : 2 exp per day
> 4.00 : 5 exp per day

These points would be earned without user interaction. If an animator has a batting average which falls into any of the above categories, he/she would earn x number of points per day automatically.

Implementing a "negative 1" system for terrible averages would discourage users from creating "Turds of the Week." =)

What do you think?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-01 15:57:03

At 5/1/05 03:36 PM, Agatha wrote: What do you think?

I havnt been keeping up with the entire convo... but can they still deposit the other amount of points that wasn't automatically deposited? So if i get 2 points deposited automaticlly, how would i deposit the other 3? By voting on 3 submissions?

Plus, that would really be kind of unfair. think of ppl like Adam Phillips who rarely visit the site unless submitting a movie and is a lvl 1. He would unfairly be much higher and really had to have no dedication to do so.

It just seems flawed to me.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-02 17:04:29

I havnt been keeping up with the entire convo... but can they still deposit the other amount of points that wasn't automatically deposited? So if i get 2 points deposited automaticlly, how would i deposit the other 3? By voting on 3 submissions?

Theoretically, one could earn up to 10 points per day with this system.

Plus, that would really be kind of unfair. think of ppl like Adam Phillips who rarely visit the site unless submitting a movie and is a lvl 1. He would unfairly be much higher and really had to have no dedication to do so.

Dedication!? What requires more energy: Creating excellent Flash animations, or pressing a "vote" button? As the NG FAQ says, "Higher levels often command respect." Level indicators are more prominent than batting averages.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-02 17:47:00

At 5/2/05 05:04 PM, Agatha wrote: Theoretically, one could earn up to 10 points per day with this system.

Well that really makes it even sillier.

Dedication!? What requires more energy: Creating excellent Flash animations, or pressing a "vote" button? As the NG FAQ says, "Higher levels often command respect." Level indicators are more prominent than batting averages.

You are missing the point of what exp is all about. Experience is rewarded to those who show dedication by returning to the site daily (how else do they make money?). And sure, making flash can be difficult... I have made a few myself, and it is a pain. I have yet to make one I felt would earn me any awards... however, I don't feel that artists should earn exp for submitting. Maybe if there was a stipulation stating they had to have so many animations per year, otherwise I could make three and never show up again and barely miss a deposit.

I understand what you are getting at, and I agree, animators deserve something a little special, however, Tom already has that in place = the money award each month.

I also hope that animators do it for the passion and love and not to earn respect on NG... like really, what is respect on NG worth? Very little. I know I do it because I love art and making flash movies really helps me improve and expand my art skills.

And to be honest... as for dedication to the site... you are more dedicated by voting everyday, because that dedication supports the site. As where making a flash takes much more dedication, but it is a personal dedication and not a dedication towards the site.

I hope that cleared up my thoughts that were slightly vague before.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-03 02:06:48

How about a name saver?
A little feature we can use. It can save, say two or three nicknames for you.
No need for another account.
what do you think?

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-03 13:19:49

At 5/1/05 03:36 PM, Agatha wrote: About authors gettign exp for submissions

What do you think?

Well this is extreamly simular to the old concept of others getting exp from submissions based on scrore. It was turned off due to abuse. The biggest issue with that it could be abuse, with mass voting, so I don't think it woudl be a good idea.

At 5/3/05 02:06 AM, IncorporeaI wrote: How about a name saver?
what do you think?

I could see that leading to people posting saying I have this name who wants to buy it off me. I really don't see a need or it an alt account for name saving reasons works just fine right now. This would just add more coding for the staff to do.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-03 15:42:10

You know, I just realised.....

The link to the rules? Maybe people keep missing it because there is a distinct lack of the word RULE anywhere in the topic title... It may help to make it more noticable.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-03 15:44:56

I'd like more secrets. Most of the secrets I saw before and would really like some more.

:p

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-04 19:24:12

Another idea could be a front page award. It would be on the portal submission page and it would say "Front Page from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx"

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-04 19:38:41

At 5/4/05 07:24 PM, NorwayClock wrote: Another idea could be a front page award. It would be on the portal submission page and it would say "Front Page from xx/xx/xxxx to xx/xx/xxxx"

that will be nice. but i think NG has quite enough of awards already

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-04 22:44:43

At 5/2/05 05:47 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: You are missing the point of what exp is all about. Experience is rewarded to those who show dedication by returning to the site daily (how else do they make money?).

Yeah, who's more dedicated, the person who's been coming every day since some time in 2000? Or the guy that spent a few weeks on a flash, made an account, submitted it and has never been seen since? Just because it may take longer to complete something doesn't mean those people are more dedicated to the site itself. Hell, they may just be looking for another place to show their work to get more exposure, doesn't mean that they are dedicated to the site.

You should be submitting flash to express your opinion on something, express your feelings, express your talent or just want to give people something decent to watch... not for experience points.

At 5/3/05 02:06 AM, IncorporeaI wrote: How about a name saver?
what do you think?

I believe someone already mentioned that a few pages ago. I don't see why you'd need to save that many nicknames though. One should be all you'd ever need to save if for whatever reason you feel like changing the name of your main account but don't want anyone taking it. Saving a bunch of nicknames that you'd probably not even use anyway would just be pointless.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-05 15:57:53

At 5/4/05 10:44 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: Yeah, who's more dedicated, the person who's been coming every day since some time in 2000? Or the guy that spent a few weeks on a flash, made an account, submitted it and has never been seen since? Just because it may take longer to complete something doesn't mean those people are more dedicated to the site itself. Hell, they may just be looking for another place to show their work to get more exposure, doesn't mean that they are dedicated to the site.

I completely agree. And i am glad you pnted out the 'exposure' part, because that it is an important argument i forgot to make the first time. Exp is rewarded for dedication to the site and that is truly they way it should be.

You should be submitting flash to express your opinion on something, express your feelings, express your talent or just want to give people something decent to watch... not for experience points.

Exactly. You hit that right on the button and i could not agree more.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-07 14:11:17

Ok, what about if G-bot had more of a purpose in the forums, rather than just being there he actually did bot things like the portal bot, for example he would inform you of any new news topics, or maybe inform you of bans and warnings from mods?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-07 14:13:10

At 5/7/05 02:11 PM, FrOzEn_FoX wrote: Ok, what about if G-bot had more of a purpose in the forums, rather than just being there he actually did bot things like the portal bot, for example he would inform you of any new news topics, or maybe inform you of bans and warnings from mods?

Well, a G-bot is currently being designed by MindChamber,
Or, he will be soon. Perhaps when the bot is complted he'll have tasks

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-08 18:13:14

Ok, what about if say, you know when you get banned and if now takes you right to the ban message instead of you having to type out the message then find out?

What about if they did the same thing with the double post or 4 post in 30 minutes thing? Rather than having to type out that message is takes you right to the point of you can't post again yet?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-09 05:06:07

At 5/3/05 03:42 PM, FrOzEn_FoX wrote: The link to the rules? Maybe people keep missing it because there is a distinct lack of the word RULE anywhere in the topic title... It may help to make it more noticable.

Yeah, there is a huge lack of links to the rules in the forum. If there were a more obvious rule link on more places it would be alot better.

There is also rather hard to find the little add which says that you can sign up on Newgrounds.

Newgrounds is great on advertising, but that stays to other companies.
Newgrounds should advertise itself a little more on the site, so people acctually registrated and so on.

I think I've said this before somewhere, but anyway. I know alot of people who spend time watching Newgrounds subsissions unknowing that you can sign up.

Especially for free!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-11 08:46:19

How about moving the search bar?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-16 21:12:01

New styles and catagries maybe even an new and a bigger BBS or more lvs.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-16 21:58:11

I have a suggestion.
I think that the top 2000 b/p users should be allowed to vote for the monthly award winners as well as the top 2000 exp users. They may not seem dedicated due to their lack of experience points, but if they are dedicated enough to spend hours in the portal each day, then they will have a good idea of what deserves to win an award.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-16 22:15:03

At 5/16/05 09:58 PM, Agent_B_Animation wrote: I have a suggestion.

I was always thought it was just top 2000 frequent users, and then it went from highest lvl down... or something? How does that work exactly then?

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-16 22:44:07

I was always thought it was just top 2000 frequent users, and then it went from highest lvl down... or something? How does that work exactly then?

I think it's the 2000 users with the most experience points, so they basically are the most frequent users as they have the highest exp levels. I think that the top 2000 b/p users should be alowed to vote as well, as they are dedicated to voting on new submissions to the portal and they would have a good idea on what deserves to win.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 00:58:35

At 5/16/05 10:15 PM, Myst_Williams wrote: How does that work exactly then?

The judging panel consists of the top 2000 users EXP-wise, anyone who has ever won any Portal awards, the moderators and the administrators. I think it might be a good idea to have some of the top B/P'ers able to vote as well. But not the top 2000, that would just be too easy. Maybe the top 500 or 1000. It's certainly an interesting idea.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 01:38:39

first i think there are too many postst too read them all...
then i think there should be less pop-ups (unless there is a good perpouse)
i also think people should be less critzied on their FIRST flash cus they're new
in stead help them
i talk too much

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 01:39:47

i also think exp points should be easier to get cus we all cant go on every day!!!

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 01:58:04

At 5/17/05 01:38 AM, Project_Tom23 wrote: first i think there are too many postst too read them all...

I have no clue what you are talking about. Sorry : \

then i think there should be less pop-ups (unless there is a good perpouse)

The ads on the site are what supply Tom and Wade with enough cash to run the site
and give them money to live on.

i also think people should be less critzied on their FIRST flash cus they're new
in stead help them

Simple rule here. Bad flash = Blam. The reviews are supposed to be used to help the author gain ideas on how to improve their flash. Unfortunately, they are not normally used for this purpose.

i talk too much

Yes. You do : \

At 5/17/05 01:39 AM, Project_Tom23 wrote: i also think exp points should be easier to get cus we all cant go on every day!!!

This has been suggested an uncountable number of times and shot down in flames an equal amount of times.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 03:01:30

At 5/9/05 07:16 AM, BonusStage wrote: normally i just use the alt one time and then wait for the rest, but it'd still be helpful to all those that indeed have a good opinion on a topic, that is simply GROWING FAST, and they may not be alt users :)

I'll never understand people who use alts to get around the 4 post limit. I mean, bloody hell, do you really need to say something that badly? You guys should compose your posts a bit better, if it's a thread you plan on having multiple replies in. Seriously, using an alt in that way should earn you a ban.

At 5/3/05 03:44 PM, NorwayClock wrote: I'd like more secrets. Most of the secrets I saw before and would really like some more.

I have seen this one come up quite a few times, and I don't understand why new secrets still haven't been added :(

It would give so much more incentive to the long exp points haul, and there are so many cool things they could potentially add there. A new secret every 1,000 points would work well I think.

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 11:05:08

Just a small little request.
(Again, apologies if this has been brought up already).

I was thinking that the description field for audio submissions could be increased a bit. I mean, it's what? 90 characters right now? I guess that limit helps make the listings nice and snug, but sometimes you just want to say more. Audio mightn't be as intricate as flash, but I still think 90 characters is a little stingy.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-05-17 15:37:47

At 5/3/05 02:06 AM, VeryProudofYa wrote: How about a name saver?
what do you think?

i was thinkin' of that!