00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heretoplayarnd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

45,511 Views | 647 Replies

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:22:11

Hey Jim, do you think some new members will get confused since the new voting thing changed so when they go to help they will see this:

100 votes - 1.0
150 votes - 1.25
200 votes - 1.60

I know you just add 0s but do you think some new people might not know?

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:27:55

Nice to see this thread is behaving (for the most part) as it's supposed to. Thanks for the extra digits James, not something I would have suggested, but it's quite nice to have a more accurate idea of how your voting affects scores.
Do you plan to change the scores displayed under the Author's name on each Flash page to match? Or would that look a little untidy?

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:32:13

At 3/3/05 07:20 PM, liljim wrote: Here's a reply. No.

I didn't expect that to come from liljim, lol

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:53:15

At 3/3/05 07:21 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: Spamming and portal abuse AHOY!

The BBS should be used for fun, for the conversation with others.. Not to raise VP.

Submitting flash should be about showing your hard work to others.. Not to raise VP.

The experience and B/P system for VP is fine the way it is.

I now see my mistakes, I feel so stupid now.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 19:54:12

At 3/3/05 07:27 PM, Denvish wrote: Do you plan to change the scores displayed under the Author's name on each Flash page to match? Or would that look a little untidy?

I prefer keeping that stuff neat and tidy....

Oh, and @DanArchy - I didn't mean to quash your idea rudely, but as has already been pointed out - if we offered incentives for getting voting power up via bbs posting and submitting flash, we'd have people who would just try and push up their vote power by making senseless posts to the forums and by creating flash (with the intention of getting it passed through judgement primarily for vote power, rather than showcasing the work - in which cases, the flashes trying to get passed would probably be terrible anyway).

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 20:11:04

At 3/3/05 06:57 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:
At 3/3/05 06:48 PM, Scoll wrote: Yay, more digits!!
Sexy indeed.

YAY SEX

Uh yea, might as well share this crappy little idea I saved from another topic. *loads notepad*

Basically, this will bring back the old grounds gold and keep in tact the exp, exp stays the same, the idea revolves entirely around grounds gold.

Basically apon meeting certain conditions in the portal, one can earn 1 grounds gold to spend on equipment, such conditions could be:

Blamming 10 movies in one day
Protecting 10 movies in one day
Reviewing 10 movies in one day
Posting 10 posts in one day
Submitting a movie (maybe not a good idea)
Submitting audio (again, maybe a WORSE idea)
Deposting exp
Casting the deciding vote on a movie

Of course, each condition included could only be achieved once per day, to stop people from getting way too much gold.

Now of course the equipment is an idea to think about, you might be thinking this will affect the weapons in your levels but I'm not talking about weapons here but like special items, and maybe armor, who knows.

Maybe such items could be like this:
Armor: Increase total exp gain per day
Shield: Increase voting power a bit more like blam points
Misc items (ie a latern or maybe a gun like pico's): Increase gained points for blowing a whistle or get exp when casting the deciding vote etc.

Maybe a good idea, maybe a bad idea, meh, who knows, if Tom Fulp did decide to implement this into the system, that'd be good knowing I helped the site. :D

Wel yea, Idea I had a while ago, bleh.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 20:37:04

At 3/3/05 08:11 PM, Miles11 wrote: Reviewing 10 movies in one day
Posting 10 posts in one day

Very bad. Again, the only reason you should be posting OR reviewing is because you have something useful to add. If people can get points, no matter WHAT kind of points... these will be abused. Even if it was for "Super Magic Special Points" that had no value or use at all, people would write crap reviews/posts so that number could grow.

Armor: Increase total exp gain per day

Everyone should only be allowed to get 10 exp a day.

Misc items (ie a latern or maybe a gun like pico's): Increase gained points for blowing a whistle or get exp when casting the deciding vote etc.

Being lucky that you were a certain vote shouldn't reward you with experience. You get to see a movie for that luck.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 20:54:37

At 3/3/05 08:37 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: stuff

Yea, I can see where you coming from, we don't need more abuse.

Well it was only an idea. :P

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 20:58:15

I have an idea. It seems a little odd at first glance, but I think it might be a very helpful little tool in the long run.

Give BBS users the ability to self-ban.

I've seen many a thread in general that says something like "OMG I HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO MOD PLZ BAN ME!" followed by pictures of Goatse or something to spur incentive. It would cut down on stupid threads that degrade into spam, and save the mods a headache or two...

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:02:36

At 3/3/05 08:58 PM, Umsutfeersme wrote: Give BBS users the ability to self-ban.

Or they can just learn self-control....

Not logging in and posting is just as effective as being banned.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:08:37

Well, another crappy idea here, like seeing the new decimal numbers after voting, maybe putting that into the voting power as well, so you can see the increase in your voting power everytime you deposit etc, meh.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:09:34

I dont know if this has been said but we could use one of those character counters for reviews like we do for posts, or something like that, oh and more review mods, (Runs away)

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:11:12

At 3/3/05 09:09 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I dont know if this has been said but we could use one of those character counters for reviews like we do for posts

Top of page 7. I'm on it.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:12:15

At 3/3/05 08:37 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: Very bad. Again, the only reason you should be posting OR reviewing is because you have something useful to add. If people can get points, no matter WHAT kind of points... these will be abused. Even if it was for "Super Magic Special Points" that had no value or use at all, people would write crap reviews/posts so that number could grow.

I agree, and think the system is fine as is. Everyone has to remember that whenever points are involved, there will be abuse (as thejoe said). The great thing about the current system is that you can't abuse it. All you can do is log on and get your 10 exp per day. This seems to the best way, in my opinion.

At 3/3/05 08:58 PM, Umsutfeersme wrote:
I've seen many a thread in general that says something like "OMG I HAVE HOMEWORK TO DO MOD PLZ BAN ME!" followed by pictures of Goatse or something to spur incentive. It would cut down on stupid threads that degrade into spam, and save the mods a headache or two...

I can see where you are coming from Umsutfeerme, as your idea couldn't be abused (unless someone left their account logged in, in which case they deserve it), but it just seems a little pointless to me. Surely they can just log off, if they need to do shit (I know it can be hard sometimes, but still). That being said, I don't see them implementing your idea. Maybe users being able to self lock threads they have created would work better, but even that seems unnecessary, as you could simply email a mod if you have issues.

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:16:09

At 3/3/05 09:11 PM, liljim wrote: Top of page 7. I'm on it.

Heres an idea, give me brighter font like yours.

Seriously though, if you have never came to the bbs you should make it where ng traces the ip to see if it reconizes it and if it doesnt i sends it to the help or bbs rules page of ng, that way we could cut down on dumb questions. People who sign on with a diffrent ip every day would have to go through this, but it is a small price to pay.

Or you could do it by if ng doesnt see any posts by that account it could re-direct them to the help or bbs rules page, that way people with diffrent ips wouldnt have to worry.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:16:44

At 3/3/05 09:02 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:
At 3/3/05 08:58 PM, Umsutfeersme wrote: Give BBS users the ability to self-ban.
Or they can just learn self-control....

Not logging in and posting is just as effective as being banned.

But people just don't have the self control, and they sure as hell won't learn it. That's why they should have the option, being in control like that will help them learn it.

By the way, here's an example of the kind of thread I told you about... :(

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:19:00

At 3/3/05 09:09 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I dont know if this has been said but we could use one of those character counters for reviews like we do for posts, or something like that, oh and more review mods, (Runs away)

Good idea X. Although I don't write many reviews, I love to read them, but I see way too many abusive ones. I imagine it would be hard to monitor this, as there are so many reviews written for the vast amount of submissions on this site. It's a bit annoying when I see reviews with a high number of abusive marks still there after quite some time, but again, I can understand that it would be hard to delete them in a short period of time (except for things on the frontpage, of course).

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:19:18

At 3/3/05 09:09 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I dont know if this has been said but we could use one of those character counters for reviews like we do for posts, or something like that, oh and more review mods, (Runs away)

~X~
At 3/2/05 03:15 PM, NasFlash wrote: I know i wouldnt need it but a lot of people in the top reviewers thread have been suggesting one of these for reviews:

After that he posted a screen shot of the character coutner that is used for the BBS.
James never respodned becasue someoen made a very badd sugestion right after that, that got all the focus.

Actually we already have some more review mods, just didn't get announced.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:23:31

At 3/3/05 09:19 PM, ramagi wrote: Actually we already have some more review mods, just didn't get announced.

Well thats good, they are lucky bastards or in good with the mafia boss ha, no its all good glad to see we have some more review mods, we can never have tomany review mods...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:32:55

At 3/3/05 09:19 PM, ramagi wrote: James never respodned becasue someoen made a very badd sugestion right after that, that got all the focus.

I didn't respond, because I intended to just get the suggestion done, rather than waste time about posting about it. :)

I don't respond to most of the suggestions in here, but that doesn't mean I don't read all of the suggestions and mark some of them down as things to go on the to-do list. :) Some of the suggestions get done quicker than others, depending on how long it takes to get the suggestions I agree with deployed. :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:36:51

At 3/3/05 09:32 PM, liljim wrote: stuff

Not trying to bug you about it, but did you read and or are you gonna consider my suggestion about the new users?

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:39:00

Sorry for mentioning this if someone else already has, I'm around 3 pages behind on this thread sadly. But, since liljim seems to have been hard at work lately I thought I'd toss in a suggestion. Since I see you've expanded the change in score for a movie to 4 decimal places, could you perhaps do that as well for the VPs? That would be rather nice. And maybe, why couldn't the posts per day be moved to 4 decimal places as well? I mean, it'd be nice if they were all extended out that far. The PPD isn't too important, but I would like to see how much my VP increases each deposit. I mean, there are days were it doesn't increase by 0.01 but I know it is increasing by something that can most likely be seen on a 0.0000 level. Just something to think about doing. Thanks in advance if you do decide to do this. :D

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:49:47

At 3/3/05 09:36 PM, He_Who_Never_Was wrote:
Not trying to bug you about it, but did you read and or are you gonna consider my suggestion about the new users?

Ho-hum.

Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:55:08

At 3/3/05 09:49 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/3/05 09:36 PM, He_Who_Never_Was wrote:
Ho-hum.

You make me sad, im gonna go cut myself now.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 21:55:13

At 3/3/05 09:16 PM, Umsutfeersme wrote: That's why they should have the option, being in control like that will help them learn it.

OR, it would make them dependent on a system that doesn't work in the real world. The only way to learn self control is to practice it. If they continue to put off their homework/project and get a bad grade on it, hopefully that will open their minds up to what is really important and what they should put the emphasis on when stuck between the "BBS or Homework" thought.

At 3/3/05 09:49 PM, liljim wrote: Ho-hum.

lol@Large Picture From liljim.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:02:38

At 3/3/05 09:55 PM, He_Who_Never_Was wrote: You make me sad, im gonna go cut myself now.

You started shaving already? :)

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:03:47

At 3/3/05 10:02 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/3/05 09:55 PM, He_Who_Never_Was wrote: You make me sad, im gonna go cut myself now.
You started shaving already? :)

Hahahaha, very funny. If you didnt know my real age you couldnt say that, but sadely you do.

BBS Signature

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:06:47

At 3/3/05 09:23 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Well thats good, they are lucky bastards or in good with the mafia boss ha, no its all good glad to see we have some more review mods, we can never have tomany review mods...

~X~

it's a shame, you really deserve to be a review mod more then anyone else on ng :P

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:09:45

Whoo! Like the new four decimal score counter, even though is very extrantanious. Always adding more to the portal, its always nice to see progrees, even those small cosmetic ones.

Okay, one complaint though. Probably not the place to go with this, but it is a suggestion related to the portal, just don't think you are the person I should be addressing. Anyway, sack that damn 'Swat the fly' banner! That thing will not shut up! I'm trying to write a review when every three seconds I get to hear the same oh so grating buzzing sound. I seriously wanna kill the dude that made that. I know the duck hunt one is pretty annoying, but at least that dog will shut up after laughing a couple times. The. Fly. Will. Just. Not. Quit. Arg! I got another page with in on there! It mocks me! Damn that vile fly and his buzzing! No I will not swat you! Sell your shit elsewhere! ARG! I'm gonna lose my mind here. It'd be great if ya got rid of it. The interactive banners are interesting somethines, but this is borderline Nazi torture.

Response to Ideas for Newgrounds' Evolution 2005-03-03 22:12:03

First off.. wow there sure was a lot of activity in this thread the last few pages. It's always nice to see suggestions but ones that would cause potential spam is never a good idea.

liljim, nice work with the voting with the adding of the digits and showing how much our votes changed the score. I really liked this new add on.

XwaynecoltX should be a review mod, he is a great reviewer role model for any user on here too.